Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

PlayStation Just Revealed “Project Q”, a New Mobile Gaming Device

Sony has announced that it is developing a new PlayStation handheld device code-named “Project Q”, which is designed to allow players to stream any game from their PS5 console using Remote Play over Wi-Fi. The device has an 8-inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller and is set to launch later this year...

This has to be one of the dumbest looking things I’ve ever seen come out of the gaming industry. I think this will be a flop, and I kind of hope it does flop because it shows Sony that people really do want portable gaming experiences that don’t suck like the Switch and the PSP.

Hm, kid playing upstairs while parents use the big (PS5-dedicated) screen for something else. Would come to my mind. Othre thand that i am curiouse if it will successful.

It sounds like a bust to me, especially if you can't take it outside your home network. One can already pair the DualSense/DualShock to a phone or tablet (or Bluetooth-enabled PC, for that matter), and connect that to the PS5/PS4 via internet-based Remote Play. About the only thing you would be able to do differently with this is have your screen in between your hands without some messy tape.

Having the PS Remote Play mobile app with controls for these (Sony has recently approved one compatible for mobiles with that app to come out) or things like the Deck with Chiaki, this is something that should not exist and is useless.

And also this thing is only compatible with PS5 while the other 2 are compatible with PS4 as well.

I think Sony knows that in order to sell this in great numbers, it's going to need to have some sort of streaming capability, in addition to the listed purpose (remote play from PS5). I love the 8" screen, and the controllers. The company that made the PSP and Vita KNOW how to make a good handheld independent playing platform, and I hope they will share this bonus news soon. If so, I'm all in.

I'll always be supportive of a spiritual successor to the PS Vita, but that very device ended up being neglected by Sony and discontinued due to the success of smartphones and everyone's receding willingness to carry with them an extra device just to play video games on. Sony will have done a fair bit of market research though, so if they think they can sell such a device in large enough numbers then by all means let them go ahead with it.

Hm, kid playing upstairs while parents use the big (PS5-dedicated) screen for something else. Would come to my mind. Othre thand that i am curiouse if it will successful.
Not just kids. I have adult battles for the big TV !

I can see that being the main usage for this - I have a Backbone controller for my iPhone which does the same job, but the sticks and triggers just aren't anywhere near the level of the DualSense.

backbone.jpg

You can't use that for "proper" gaming but this Q might do the job - GT7 on the couch whilst something else is on the TV. No more anti-social hiding away in the man cave.

This is not only going to be a huge flop - the annoying thing is Sony will see this is a flop and decide that all handhelds will not be worth their while again, despite the fact their last two handhelds were (hardware) masterpieces.

And that's the sad part. Nobody asked for this, and all chances of a proper PSP/Vita successor will go down the drain with it.

This is not only going to be a huge flop - the annoying thing is Sony will see this is a flop and decide that all handhelds will not be worth their while again, despite the fact their last two handhelds were (hardware) masterpieces.

And that's the sad part. Nobody asked for this, and all chances of a proper PSP/Vita successor will go down the drain with it.

Nobody asked for a “Gameboy” either, but you were the coolest kid in school if you had one of those, and a pair of Nike Pumps on your feet.

The price-point is going to determine wether this is a failure or a success. I’m a tentative “in”, for the right price

Last edited:
I’m intrigued I have to say, only because my kids have their ps4 and I have a ps5 so maybe this one fits with trips away etc - but for me only really playing gt with a wheel, can’t say I’m overly excited for this, especially if it’s £300

Dumb name but the price is about right, even more so if they later add the PS Plus Premium streaming that is currently in beta testing. Portable GT7 - with proper triggers, not the useless ones on something like the Backbone.

I'm in. Just the ability to be able to easily work on liveries and shoot photos while at work is worth the price of admission, alone

i rly do not see the point of this, why would i need a portable console that can't leave the house where the PS5 is located.

Is it that hard to make a 5G enabled PSP with limited resolution and framerate? :grumpy: ROG Ally proving it's possible.

Soooooooo…

Does this mean I can play this Gameboy away from home if my PS5 is in rest mode and I have internets connection with said Gameboy?
Yes
R3V
Is it that hard to make a 5G enabled PSP with limited resolution and framerate? :grumpy: ROG Ally proving it's possible.
That device would likely also let you use Gamepass. Sony don’t want you to use Gamepass on their device.

We're still in the middle of energy price strangulation on our finances - and Sony responds to this by making a device that requires you to leave the PS5 on to be able to game on it. Whilst also having the router powered up of course. Crazy, I guess Asia has low energy prices and cheap food, gasoline etc., etc.

I'd have been happy for a PSP replacement type device - but this is a non-starter. I'd rather outlay more, and just go the Steam Deck route for indie games in a fully portable independent solution.

I don't think I understand the need of this....why wouldn't I just remote play with my iPhone or iPad?
I've used the controller with my iPad and I assume I could connect it to my iPhone.
Why would I pay $200 for the Portal?

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

PlayStation Just Revealed “Project Q”, a New Mobile Gaming Device

Sony has announced that it is developing a new PlayStation handheld device code-named “Project Q”, which is designed to allow players to stream any game from their PS5 console using Remote Play over Wi-Fi. The device has an 8-inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller and is set to launch later this year...
perfect to play b-spec on the back while I do other thing.....
if only GT7 had b-spec...
😞

Back