PlayStation's "Spartacus" is an Xbox Game Pass Rival, Expected in Spring 2022

The whole play to play online is such a scam. I feel disappointed in the people who fall for this crap and support it.
If people didn't pay for it, they would of made it free again like on the PS3.
When something is free people perceive it as having no value.

Also the price didn't change.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Sony to Launch New PlayStation Plus Service This Summer

Sony Interactive Entertainment’s president & CEO, Jim Ryan, has officially announced details and pricing for the long-rumored new PlayStation Plus service, which will go live later this year...
Here's an interesting quote from the blog entry:
PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.
So technically you could cheese your way into the Premium tier by redeeming a full year PS Now membership just before the service launches, getting nearly 12 months of PS Plus Premium at half the price. Unfortunately I've only been able to find such offerings for Belgium and Austria but none for my region. It looks like Sony stopped sending out those gift cards to their retailers a long time ago in order to minimize the number of people getting cheeky. I'll probably get a month's membership, just to check out the retro games offerings. I think that locking the retro games behind the top tier is kinda scummy and the price point puts me off, but I will most likely swoon over if the old games turn out to have trophy support. Unlikely, I know. But we'll find out soon enough.

edit: I can already see Sony using the Premium tier as a pretext in their next attempt to shut down the PSN Stores on PS3 and Vita. Although this service might help to preserve a few retro games, the vast majority of them will get a lot more difficult (if not impossible) to come by. Just look at the prices for some of the old Persona games for crying out loud. Plus there's the huge drawback that the few games that remain will be tied to a subscription and can't be bought seperately anymore.

Last edited:
The whole play to play online is such a scam. I feel disappointed in the people who fall for this crap and support it.
Ahh the best part of history is the part you totally forget and don't have to take into account and learn from.

PS3 was a disaster and the only reason online play was free was to counter the 360 success.

Anyone who just had a sub to PS Now only (not PS+) was lucky as they get upgraded to the top tier even without PS+ :mischievous:

Last edited:
So this is really the true answer as to why PS cannot do BC like others can. I don't know, I mean it's kind of cool to see everything that will be available but I ain't gonna pay for any more than I currently am. Also tells you why PS5 saves are not possible on USB storage. You need to save them on the console and use a paid cloud to back them up on a second account even if your main account has PS PLUS. I know game companies need to make as much profit as they can but it also saddens me that gaming is heading into the same direction as other forms of entertainment like TV and film. I just never wanted all that streaming service and subscriptions based stuff to make its way to my games. But it was always inevitable. It's mainly because I fear how far they will all go. The prices are already very high for games alone, then the online subscriptions added as well and it's aiming more towards those that can afford it like the older demographic. I feel sorry for the kids and young teens out there who cannot get some games and PS Plus to play online because their parents see the cost and back off.

very few people interested in ps3 titles is going to play them in streaming, so you might as well get a ps3 for pennies (who also play every other platform from the premium tier)

Ahh the best part of history is the part you totally forget and don't have to take into account and learn from.

PS3 was a disaster and the only reason online play was free was to counter the 360 success.
I hear people say this a lot when defending a Multi-Million dollar corporation and claiming PS3 online was bad compared to now.
I don't know...I played PS3 online a lot back in the day with games such as Gran Turismo, Uncharted 3 & Battlfield and never did I have any issues with the service.

On PS4, I tried online twice for GT Sport and I saw basically no difference compared to PS3. I don't understand what your paying for.

So Spartacus, I leave the boat. I'm not interested in downloading games I don't care about. I only play cars, especially Gran Turismo, all the others were tests. Too bad you don't present a minimum service to play online, and the 10 euros requested per month, don't deserve the mess it is, being able to enter a room, namely in GT7, in GTSport was nothing like that.

So Spartacus, I leave the boat. I'm not interested in downloading games I don't care about. I only play cars, especially Gran Turismo, all the others were tests. Too bad you don't present a minimum service to play online, and the 10 euros requested per month, don't deserve the mess it is, being able to enter a room, namely in GT7, in GTSport was nothing like that.
The minimum service stays the same amount like before with the same "benefits".

This is pure garbage. But most people will probably fall for it. Let's see: With this PPS I can pay forever and not ever own any games. Just think: Pay for this 'service' for say 2 years and then decide you need or want to cancel. You own Zero games. Now you get to buy the ones you really want at full price. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I hear people say this a lot when defending a Multi-Million dollar corporation and claiming PS3 online was bad compared to now.
I don't know...I played PS3 online a lot back in the day with games such as Gran Turismo, Uncharted 3 & Battlfield and never did I have any issues with the service.

On PS4, I tried online twice for GT Sport and I saw basically no difference compared to PS3. I don't understand what your paying for.
Who is defending anything. I am telling you why it was free.

Sony offered it for free because the PS3 was a sinking ship and they needed to add some kind of value to a product that wasn't selling as expected.

So free online was a great way to difference themselves to Microsoft. It's cheap to give away and the perceived value is high.

Sony offered it for free because the PS3 was a sinking ship and they needed to add some kind of value to a product that wasn't selling as expected.

So free online was a great way to difference themselves to Microsoft. It's cheap to give away and the perceived value is high.
That makes no sense. PS3 was online from day 1, they decided it'd be free before they sold a single console, announced months before release. What has it not selling well early days got to do with it?

That makes no sense. PS3 was online from day 1, they decided it'd be free before they sold a single console, announced months before release. What has it not selling well early days got to do with it?
I guess you weren't there?
It was super expensive, delayed, over engineered and under performed thanks to a crappy gpu, it was on it's heels before it launched*.
And lets be honest, compared to the competition PSN was rough when it launched and asking for money at that time would just have been more water in the sinking boat.

*naturally i bought the PS3 at midnight because... GT

How do you know that's why it was free as opposed to being free because Sony simply hadn't thought of that method of fleecing fans yet and it was beyond your average players imagination that they'd have to play for online? There was eventually a paid PSN+ on PS3, was that a better service in every way? Surely it must have been going by your statement. Why wasnt Modern warfare 1/2 worse online for me than ang current COD iteration? I have far better broadband today too. Most people were not ready to pay twice to play online. I dont need free games, especially when I have no desire to play 98% of them.

The minimum service stays the same amount like before with the same "benefits".
Thanks for the clarification.

But as I say, if the GT7 doesn't fix the way we enter a room or why we didn't even get in (the fixed host is a problem), even if this minimum service is at zero cost, for me it's expensive.

Get a 1-3 game plan, pay x, I'm there!

I already subbed the PS+ and Now and felt the ps3 streaming was fine to me. I got platinum trophies in the sly Cooper collection without any issues.

They should be criticized for pricing it above Gamepass without first party games. MS also offers BC games to anyone to buy in the store instead of paywalling.

Last edited:
Because even though the trainwreck of E3 2006 hadn't happened yet at that point, the PS3 was already a rolling disaster of bad publicity by the time they formally announced PSN in March of 2006.

Last edited:
Ps2 was free online and ps3 was always meant to be free online, as it should be.

It was only with the success of xbox live that sony decided to charge from the ps4 onwards.

So with this announcement has it swayed anyone into signing up for it?

Doesnt really do it for me.

Last edited:
Spot on mate. This is one thing, among others, that killed online racing for me. I've never paid for it, and never will. It's just a P2P network, and I'm not interested in paying 'the japanese company' to use my own internet which I already pay for. I only raced online in GT Sport (£14:99 in a sale) a handfull of times via a free trial of PS+, and the irony is I probably would've paid full price for it, raced a lot more, as well as bought other games and a PS5 and GT7, if it was still free. Including online multiplayer in the PS+ subscription was a really bad move IMHO, and it's put me off the whole console and brand.

I've been a fan of all Gran Turismo versions. I know some may seem a bit crude if measured by GT 7 0r GT Sport, but I do hope to see the older versions available again. I'd pay for the most expensive package if they are included.

Indeed.

Imagine having the whole collection of Gran Turismo titles available for playing on the PS5. All with improved resolution, framerates and HDR.

Something like what Microsoft did with the its Compatibility Program.

Indeed.

Imagine having the whole collection of Gran Turismo titles available for playing on the PS5. All with improved resolution, framerates and HDR.

Something like what Microsoft did with the its Compatibility Program.
Would be a dream, but it is highly unlikely to ever happen sadly, not least because they probably won't do boost functions on older games like Xbox does but also because I can't imagine the licensing agreements still hold any water.

Forza Motorsport 1, 2, 3, 4 never made it to backwards compatibility on XOne/Series like Project Gotham Racing 1, 2, 3, 4 or any Need for Speed title. The reason my 360 is still connected and sits directly beside my PS3.

Forza Motorsport 1, 2, 3, 4 never made it to backwards compatibility on XOne/Series like Project Gotham Racing 1, 2, 3, 4 or any Need for Speed title. The reason my 360 is still connected and sits directly beside my PS3.
The original Horizon was on there for a little while though. But I don't think it is now.

The original Horizon was on there for a little while though. But I don't think it is now.
Like I said, Motorsport 1,2,3,4. Forza Horizon 1 is backwards compatible on XOne and Series consoles but you can't buy the rally DLC anymore if it wasn't purchased before. Horizon 2 isn't since that already had a (very different) Xbox One version so they never cared making the 360 version backwardscompatible or even making the XOne version available when inserting the 360 disc into the One.
Funny with this case, Forza Motorsport 1 (released on the classic Xbox as Gran Turismo 4 contender) is backwardscompatible on Xbox 360 (has some flaws but runs). Same for PGR 1 and 2 and also Sega GT 2002/Online and Need for Speed Underground 2, all Xbox classic titles backwardscompatible on 360 with real cars and real music. They were all choosen by Microsoft. You couldn't just throw any classic game in the 360, this only works on modded 360s which make all titles available to play (although not every classic game is running on 360 even on the chipped 360).

Last edited:
Like I said, Motorsport 1,2,3,4. Forza Horizon 1 is backwards compatible on XOne and Series consoles but you can't buy the rally DLC anymore if it wasn't purchased before. Horizon 2 isn't since that already had a (very different) Xbox One version so they never cared making the 360 version backwardscompatible or even making the XOne version available when inserting the 360 disc into the One.
Funny with this case, Forza Motorsport 1 (released on the classic Xbox as Gran Turismo 4 contender on Xbox classic) is backwardscompatible on Xbox 360 (has some flaws but runs). Same for PGR 1 and 2 and also Sega GT 2002/Online and Need for Speed Underground 2, all Xbox classic titles backwardscompatible on 360 with real cars and real music.
There is a difference though between being able to put a game disc into a system Vs a game company having to effectively rerelease an old title. Horizon must have just snuck in for a while before the licenses expired and then it went. Pretty sure Forza 7 is delisted now too, only way you can buy that now is on disc.

Back