PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let me adjust suspension and diff!!!!

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 137 comments
Just because tuning is in game isn’t a reason to allow it in sport mode.
I know I couldn’t be bothered and would put me off playing.
Some (a lot) of people just like the pick up and play that’s GTS and don’t want to learn about tuning. Yes there are tunes available here but what % of players use these boards? So I don’t see that as an argument.
Using the hurricane and Ferrari as examples PD needs to adjust the bop on them, the answer is not to split the community into tuners and non tuners.
And those people still can.
It isn't compulsory to adjust any settings.

On a more general note, here's my take on this topic.

Tuning a car can mean different things to different people.
It doesn't necessarily mean everyone who tunes their car suddenly finds 3 seconds.
For some it's making the car more predictable, so they have less errors.
Others want to tune out a 'bad' handling characteristic.
Some just want to change the diff. and gears so it suits the track better.

Sure, some will end up quicker.
Others won't be faster but can race with less errors.
But that's no different to those who use ASM, or CSA, or TC to be quicker or have less mistakes, while others chose not to use them.

At the end of the day, this simple fact remains.
Unless you are winning every Sport Mode race you enter, there will always be people on the grid faster than you, and people on the grid slower than you.
Allowing Tuning or using Fixed Settings won't change that.

And those people still can.
It isn't compulsory to adjust any settings.

On a more general note, here's my take on this topic.

Tuning a car can mean different things to different people.
It doesn't necessarily mean everyone who tunes their car suddenly finds 3 seconds.
For some it's making the car more predictable, so they have less errors.
Others want to tune out a 'bad' handling characteristic.
Some just want to change the diff. and gears so it suits the track better.

Sure, some will end up quicker.
Others won't be faster but can race with less errors.
But that's no different to those who use ASM, or CSA, or TC to be quicker or have less mistakes, while others chose not to use them.

At the end of the day, this simple fact remains.
Unless you are winning every Sport Mode race you enter, there will always be people on the grid faster than you, and people on the grid slower than you.
Allowing Tuning or using Fixed Settings won't change that.
Thank you thats what im saying.

And I want to highlight the title of this thread. I SPECIFICALLY stated suspension and diff.

Many people are basing their opinions on previous titles, where tuning was completely open. I'm not seeing cars, all of a sudden, going from awful to amazing. I'm seeing good cars benefiting very little by adjustments, even losing time, while the worst cars are benefiting somewhat.

Besides, if any one car somehow because massively OP because of tuning, PD will BoP it back into shape, so the overall benefit of a better handling car remains.

Good cars even loosing time? Who would tune their car down? The good cars are already neutral handling.

Also if PD could BOP them back into shape then cars wouldn’t be so unbalanced already

Good cars even loosing time? Who would tune their car down? The good cars are already neutral handling.

Also if PD could BOP them back into shape then cars wouldn’t be so unbalanced already

What would be the "good cars" with locked suspension tuning could very well lose time as in advantage to other cars that need desperate tweaking using the locked PD settings.

Any cars "settings" are a state of tune for that car. There does reach a point that an optimum tune can be obtained whether further gains in a better handling car or trade off is no longer possible.

Many cases the cars that are the "OP" or dominate car is because the tune that has been applied by PD is a more optimum tune for that car as compared to the slower cars lap time wise in the class.

Due to that the amount of gain in current performance in a car which has a base tune much closer to the optimum level as compared to a car whose state of a base tune is much further from the optimum will be none to much less.

Tuning will not make a Samba Bus a 911! But tuning can make an ill handling car drive better and as a result possibly be faster around a circuit.

Seems like the unusable Lambo is doing ok this week lads

Where?

It's useless at the Nurburgring. It's not bad at Dragon Trail.

My Nurb time was 8:09 with the McLaren. I did the same with the RCZ. I was at 8:11 with the NSX. I could barely get to the low 8:20's with the Huracan. It handled far better with mediums on the front and softs on the back, but that set up doesn't survive a tire change.

As someone who often uses the Huracan, and with some success, I doubt anyone picks the Huracan with the belief that it's the best choice to race against a room full of their peers. St. Croix is the only track where I believe this might be the case, but the Ford GT is likely the better choice.

Here's the core issue, aside from the silly application of blanket settings to all cars. The underlying settings are created at the car's normal weight. Drive the Huracan at 100% weight and it's not that bad. Remove some compression damping and add extension damping, and it's downright ok.

HOWEVER, the BoP system adjusts weight without a corresponding adjustment to the suspension. Ergo, the cars that are closest to their 100% weight will handle more as intended. The Huracan is currently at 108% and that additional weight makes the handling atrocious.

I don't understand why PD insist on making cars like this. The Huracan and Ferrari are straight up incompatible with their BoP settings and I don't see why there should be an issue in allowing players to fix those cars.

I have been doing some BoP testing and I haven't found any suspension/diff adjustments that have taken a car and all of a sudden transformed it into an OP beast. Maybe some of you are imagining full tuning, but I am envisioning limited tuning that should only server to add more diversity to the races.

Id be fine with controller users tuning suspension but only if that meant the game no longer ‘helped’ their inputs with smoothing csa etc. In other words if the physics stayed the same for controller vs wheel.
That’s why I think it’s kinda tough to have a thread like this when the op is on controller.
The people who created the game tuned it fine.
To me, how could you say it’s tuning anything when the pad inputs if done on wheel would run the car off track?

I feel as though the 'daily' races going to a week long affair would suit tuning better, as people can spend the week tuning their cars to ultimately suit the track and class. Then, they can save the tune for when that event rolls back around again (e.g this week's Race B being Gr.3/Interlagos only last occurring a month-or-so ago).

Then, these tunes can be applied to the FIA races. They do give you a period before the rounds themselves to do qualifying times, which could easily serve as time to hone a tune on a car.

Are there any classes of motorsport that the FIA oversee IRL that don't allow for tuning of the cars?
The only championship I’m aware of that is not only FIA certified, but also doesn’t allow changeable tuning, is a Karting championship, where everyone actually has the same car.

Id be fine with controller users tuning suspension but only if that meant the game no longer ‘helped’ their inputs with smoothing csa etc. In other words if the physics stayed the same for controller vs wheel.
That’s why I think it’s kinda tough to have a thread like this when the op is on controller.
The people who created the game tuned it fine.
To me, how could you say it’s tuning anything when the pad inputs if done on wheel would run the car off track?

Again with the CSA baloney. First off, controller users are not automatically csa users. I have only used it to prove that it's not the magic bullet it's made out to be. I have 251 wins so far, and none of them have had any of the aids on with the exception of ABS. The only time anyone can tell if someone is using a wheel versus a controller is if the controller user has switch to the d-pad and you can see the car jerking left and right. Beyond that, I defy ANYONE to distinguish between a controller user and a wheel user without prior knowledge. The fact that they are indistinguishable is a testament to the balance between the two input options.

I believe the stat of wheel to controller users from this forum alone was something like 70% controller.

Your comment sounds like wheel user elitism or wheel user sour grapes. You can pick which it is.

Just so you are understanding why I made that comment, the "physics" of the cars does not change between controller and wheel. The car's "physics" is the same regardless of input. How the input is interpreted by the game and translated into commands may differ, but the physics does not. Also, FYI, a wheel is not a guarantee that the car is getting 1:1 input from your wheel setup to the car. There are far too many wheel options, from too many different manufacturers, with their own libraries. So, by your logic, if the controllers were no longer "helped", then the wheels would also no longer be "helped" and the game would likely be unplayable.

This week's Race C at Catalunya, on the heels of last weeks Race B at Interlagos, REALLY highlights that Sport Mode sorely needs to allow for suspension and diff tuning.

Don't want to tune? Fine, drive the Porsche or the Mustang. They are fine.

But, C'mon, trying to drive the 458, Huracan, or McLaren around those tracks is akin to repeatedly stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork, while your hand is asleep, and the fork is dull. It's frustrating, tedious, and unnecessarily painful. I believe I could diffuse a bomb with less drama than trying to navigate the 458 through the final chicane at Catalunya. and for what?

WHY?? Why is this blocked out? Why?? If you say it's for balance reasons, that's baloney, because if the community finds a setup for any of those cars that makes them imbalanced, PD will BoP them back into shape. Every week we see the 911 in the top ten with a few of the other easy to drive cars. Why is that ok, but it's not ok to try and bring the other cars up to par?

If people see the Hurancan or 458 in the top 10, it's usually just one person, not half the field like with the 911. The McLaren has never been there as far as I can recall.

If the power, weight, and transmission are left alone, I really can't see where the harm is in allowing us to tune the cars.
I agree with you 100% ..open up gearbox and suspension tuning ....even for manufacturers cup and nations cup.

Again with the CSA baloney. First off, controller users are not automatically csa users. I have only used it to prove that it's not the magic bullet it's made out to be. I have 251 wins so far, and none of them have had any of the aids on with the exception of ABS. The only time anyone can tell if someone is using a wheel versus a controller is if the controller user has switch to the d-pad and you can see the car jerking left and right. Beyond that, I defy ANYONE to distinguish between a controller user and a wheel user without prior knowledge. The fact that they are indistinguishable is a testament to the balance between the two input options.

I believe the stat of wheel to controller users from this forum alone was something like 70% controller.

Your comment sounds like wheel user elitism or wheel user sour grapes. You can pick which it is.

Just so you are understanding why I made that comment, the "physics" of the cars does not change between controller and wheel. The car's "physics" is the same regardless of input. How the input is interpreted by the game and translated into commands may differ, but the physics does not. Also, FYI, a wheel is not a guarantee that the car is getting 1:1 input from your wheel setup to the car. There are far too many wheel options, from too many different manufacturers, with their own libraries. So, by your logic, if the controllers were no longer "helped", then the wheels would also no longer be "helped" and the game would likely be unplayable.

Part of what makes this game great is controller playability. Just as a wheel has its advantage so can a controller. Fair play is fair.
At Catalunya I saw ya. I saw what was going on. When I was behind you on that sweeping right with a run on you I saw your inputs as you went full drift full throttle with no risk of spin or push around that whole turn trying to get away from me. I saw what was going on there. No wonder the tires got worn out so fast. That’s not car setup, sir.
I saw you drive the last section you were complaining about. If your inputs were smoother you would not have had trouble getting loose there. Just saying. Look at the times the top guys get with default setups.
It’s not fair to me as a semi casual player to have to play against gamers in weeklies with advantages beyond just skill.
I get that real racing is one thing, but this is online racing. Skill vs skill, not gaming/game specific knowledge/tricks plus skill vs skill. For me what makes this game great in sport mode weeklies in general is fair and equal conditions for all.
It sounds to me as if you are looking for an advantage, which every racer does, but there’s a reason the rules are in place. Complaining loudly in public because one car is a better choice than another on a given circuit just doesn’t make sense to me I guess.
Anyways you were clean in the race I saw you in and pretty fast so I hope to see you online.
:cheers:

Part of what makes this game great is controller playability. Just as a wheel has its advantage so can a controller. Fair play is fair.
At Catalunya I saw ya. I saw what was going on. When I was behind you on that sweeping right with a run on you I saw your inputs as you went full drift full throttle with no risk of spin or push around that whole turn trying to get away from me. I saw what was going on there. No wonder the tires got worn out so fast. That’s not car setup, sir.
I saw you drive the last section you were complaining about. If your inputs were smoother you would not have had trouble getting loose there. Just saying. Look at the times the top guys get with default setups.
:cheers:

So, here is why your entire comment is utter nonsense. Your assertion is that the base setup of the cars is such that it is currently equal on controllers and wheels and any change to that base setup will constitute an advantage to controllers (or wheels I assume, because you can't have one without the other).

So what about when there is a BoP change? That is a change to the base setup of a car and it happens frequently.

But still, this is far too juicy to let go, and luckily I am having a work break, so here I go :D

Um, well, yes it is since "full drift full throttle" is not possible with a terrible set up, but luckily, most of the cars are decent enough to do that. However, if you are of the belief that the game is the reason why someone can drift around a corner, then I think you need some enlightenment. I doubt you actually saw me, but if you did, and I was doing that, rest assured it was all me and not some driver aid that I turned on. It's actually quite difficult to pull that move, but whatevs.

OHRLY? How many 458's and Huracans, driven by A levels or higher, were able to beat other A levels or higher? Not many that I saw. In fact, I did not see any A levels choose those cars (aside from myself). So what are you asserting with this point? That all the other cars are setup to allow for hamfisted inputs? Does that not imply that the Huracan and 458 are then outliers that should be brought in line?

You're making some pretty big assumptions that I suck as a player, but again, whatevs.

It’s not fair to me as a semi casual player to have to play against gamers in weeklies with advantages beyond just skill.
I get that real racing is one thing, but this is online racing. Skill vs skill, not gaming/game specific knowledge/tricks plus skill vs skill. For me what makes this game great in sport mode weeklies in general is fair and equal conditions for all.

So you are drivng a Porsche and I am driving a Huracan. Is that equal and fair? Seems to me, by definition, it is not equal.

So, if I understand you correctly, as a "semi-casual" player, you have an expectation that you should be on equal skill level as someone (like myself) with hundreds of thousands of kilometers of drive time and over a thousand races. Is that correct? Should I apologize for having achieved a place in life that allows me play time? Do you believe that the guys that competed in the FIA championships got there through chance, or was it that they dedicated a ton of time to the game on top of having more natural skill?

And, as I have stated umpteen times, if you can find your way to this forum, which you obviously have, then you can find your way to the tuning forum and copy a setup. Done and done.

It sounds to me as if you are looking for an advantage, which every racer does, but there’s a reason the rules are in place. Complaining loudly in public because one car is a better choice than another on a given circuit just doesn’t make sense to me I guess.
Anyways you were clean in the race I saw you in and pretty fast so I hope to see you online.

I'm specifically pointing out the two cars that are least likely to take wins and are also most problematic with handling. If you think that's an "advantage" well, ok, I don't see how, but again. whatevs. IN any event, this mythical "advantage" you speak of would be immediately mitigated by the fact that any other player at my level would also be implementing tunes, therefore having the same advantage.

As you move down the ranks, players would be able to access tunes that make all the cars more driveable, so where's the downside to that?

But right now, there often IS only one car that has an advantage. When Dragon Trail was the GR3 race 2 weeks ago, the Supra was the car to beat. Almost the entire top 10 had used it to set their time. I prefer more diversity. I would prefer that the top 10 be made up of 8-10 different cars, and that's possible.

I don't understand this "good enough" mentality that seems to float around. As far as the "complaining loudly" comment, well, that is how things get fixed around here. Without the complaints, PD would not address the issues.

Wasn’t red bull gr4 top 10 dominated by the Lambo?

Anyway man if it’s such a great idea where are the other “pro drivers” shouting the same message.
I’d be ok with either an overhaul of the dailes giving us more choice maybe include a basic tune race and say a 1hr race of some sort.
To say sport mode should go tune is madness in my eyes and would lower the player base.

Little edit they should flip the tracks on a Friday not Monday. That’s my biggest beef with sport mode. I miss the entire week most weeks and only get the weekends, that a lot of qualy time and race pace to get sorted in a short time

Look at the times the top guys get with default setups
Never mind that Catalunya had a major flaw in that you could just cut the final section.

Skill vs skill, not gaming/game specific knowledge/tricks plus skill vs skill.
Tuning, as previously mentioned in the thread, is just part of being a racing driver. Nothing is stopping you from learning how to tune, or just putting someone else's tune on your car. I remember doing that when tuning was allowed in daily races, and it was no issue. It made it more enjoyable, at least for me.

I would argue that tuning can just fit into the skill of racing itself, as it demonstrates an understanding of the car you're driving how to fix faults with it, depending on your driving style.

I have the replay.
I call em like I see em.
I’m not gonna bother with your post. It’s all misrepresentations, misunderstandings and errors.
It’s many words that lack meaning.
For me it’s not a personal argument.
I really like that the game is controller friendly. That means more players.
The cars you talk about have neutral setups.
That is all.

It’s all misrepresentations, misunderstandings and errors.
I'd like it if you would actually point out what these were, because I feel my post was quite clear in what I meant in regards to what you said in the first place.

The only championship I’m aware of that is not only FIA certified, but also doesn’t allow changeable tuning, is a Karting championship, where everyone actually has the same car.
So tuning the vehicle seems to be part of almost all FIA championships, so why should online FIA endorsed racing be any different! :confused:

I've seen some YT streamers talking about some cars being uncompetitive, and indeed there are some cars that are hardly ever seen/used in the different categories. I've also heard some accounts from competitors from GT Sport events feeling that when they had drawn certain cars their chances of getting a good result diminished. Allowing tuning could enable some cars to become more competitive, of course the BOP adjustments/settings may not be able to be overcome, but it could make cars more suitable to the individuals driving style, which could help some become faster at least in a particular car.

I'd like it if you would actually point out what these were, because I feel my post was quite clear in what I meant in regards to what you said in the first place.

Sorry if you thought my previous post was directed towards you. It wasn’t. As to your response to me, yes you can make that argument. I would probably reply that what you say regarding tuning being a skill for a racer is not untrue. It’s just that I mentioned in my topic this is online racing.
To be honest, when I first bought this game, I assumed that I would need to tune default racecar setups. I tried several from reputable sources, not this website but nonetheless.
They were so bad the car was almost undrivable with my wheel. I went back to default so I could get the cars to turn again lol.
I’ve goofed with tuning for sure, but as far as handling for a roadracing car typically neutral steer at the limit is a good place to be.
I dunno about on controller, but on wheel take the gr3 Lambo. Taken past the limit it’s as neutral as I could imagine a car being. It won’t bite me, but I lose time in it due to the four wheel slide when I take it past the limit with poor inputs. Super fun, but slow compared to other cars with me driving. it’s just not a car I would online race with at my skill level.
Same wi5 the 458. It’s not that the cars oversteer or understeer horribly, it’s two things. One, they don’t like being upset with curbs, and 2 driving them competitively is just difficult. They are unforgiving compared to say an Aston or Mazda, or Vette or Stang, really any fr car.
So back to tuning, I am dealing with an mr car with neutral steer at the limit. It’s not Dirt Rally, I don’t want to always have an oversteer setup. I don’t want understeer really either.
So, IMO those cars are what they are in this game. I can’t say they have setup/handling flaws, just that they are unforgiving to drive.
Online, I want to drive a car with solid racepace that’s easy to use and heavy so if I get bumped no big, curbs, no big.
I was right behind the op on Catalunya, I had a big advantage over him and many players in the last slow sector before going back onto the main straight. I had a big advantage on the straight and also on the back straight leading to the slow last sector. That’s one of the most fun points in this game is how in any given battle one car or driver has strong sectors and the other has strong sectors.
The way I read the op, he is simply saying he wants the advantage at all times on all sectors of all tracks with any car he chooses. It’s just my opinion that this will never happen.
He complains and acts as if he could tune the cars better than the games engineers while the whole time only being able to drive the cars by using the driving aids they designed for him.
I just think an issue like this could be discussed in a more congenial manner.
It simply doesn’t make sense to me.
The op drove a clean fast race when I raced him. I have no quarrel with him directly, only his complaints which I feel are unwarranted.
As I said before with adjustments on any car everything you do is a trade off. There’s no free ride except aero.

Stopped racing on line as I just got bored of the handling.

Even if PD simply reduced the ridiculous stock rear toe setting the cars would be so much nicer to drive without changing anything else.

As it is, pretty much everything just understeeters, with no feeling of rotation when on the brakes, or lifting mid corner.

GTS sits alongside GT6 as the worst handling version of all the GT titles on stock settings.

Wasn’t red bull gr4 top 10 dominated by the Lambo?

Apologies, the discussion started regarding the GR3 458 and Huracan. I believe that's been lost in the shuffle. Those are the cars I am referring to, not the GR4 versions. They handle just fine.

Anyway man if it’s such a great idea where are the other “pro drivers” shouting the same message.

Well, not all "pro drivers" are on this forum,. but if you read through, you will see that many veterans would like to see tuning. Tuning has been in the game for it's entire existence. Now, after almost 20 years, longer than some players have been alive, it's somehow too complicated? Unfair?

Or is it that it's you would prefer to not be bothered?

I have the replay.
I call em like I see em.
I’m not gonna bother with your post. It’s all misrepresentations, misunderstandings and errors.
It’s many words that lack meaning.
For me it’s not a personal argument.
I really like that the game is controller friendly. That means more players.
That is all.

This is almost Haiku like. It's quite lovely

Well, if you have the replay, please go ahead and point out any aids that I may be using. Go ahead. I'll wait. Feel free to post the clip because I don't have it and I love marveling at myself :D

Let me allow this comment to stand on its own merit.

Is there anyone in this thread or, on this forum, or anywhere in the GT playdom, that would like to agree with the characterization of the GR3 458 and Huracan as cars with neutral setups? Anyone? Because maybe there's a bug. Why are these neutral cars being used so sparingly?

Stopped racing on line as I just got bored of the handling.

Even if PD simply reduced the ridiculous stock rear toe setting the cars would be so much nicer to drive without changing anything else.

As it is, pretty much everything just understeeters, with no feeling of rotation when on the brakes, or lifting mid corner.

GTS sits alongside GT6 as the worst handling version of all the GT titles on stock settings.

THIS!!!!!

Has anyone tried the new Fugu Z? Stock, it is an ATROCIOUS N300 car. less than a minute of clicking a few usual suspects in the setup and it's a fast, albeit somewhat wild ride.

Like, ok, maybe it's me, but where does the belief of "equal and fair" come from beyond a person's perception, in regards to Sport Mode?

Driving cones - If I turn on the driving cones (which are actually a common sight are real track days and races), then I get a clear braking point indicator. If someone has this off, I have a distinct advantage.

Driving markers - If I have the driving markers on, and I have seen many fast drivers have this on, I then have a clear indicator of where the apex and turn in points are (in addition to the cone indicators). Again, an advantage over someone without.

Brake balance - Brake balance is MAHOOOOOSIVE!! Everyone sets it as they wish, and no one has a hard fast rule of what the perfect balance is for any one car. Yet, the correct balance for your driving of a particular car can be worth a second a lap, or more...a SECOND OR MORE. It changes your ability to hit those apexes. It affects drive out of a corner. It's like a quick tune! Is it fair and equal to know this and take the time to find the ideal balance for a car? It also changes slight for some cars, from track to track.

The "aids" - there are threads upon threads about how unfair it may be to use CSA or TC.

Let alone, the cars

For me it’s not about advantage it’s about player base. Turn sport mode into tuning mode and see the player base shrink.

It's been over a year. The base has already eroded as far as it's going to go.

All I hear is the same narrative with a different villian.

The CSA beat me

The TC beat me

The controller advantage beat me

The wheel advantage beat me

And it will become "the set up beat me" for those who insist on believing that their divine greatness is being stifled by cheaters.

For the rest of us, who realize it's time and practice, it's going to be another avenue to walk down in search of improvement.

I raced twice this morning. I was beaten twice, by two great drivers (ya, no names on the forum). Great drivers either way. They won by over 4 and over 3 seconds respectively. Do you know why I lost? Pressure.

When I saved the reply, my finishing time was 5 and 4 seconds (more or less) slower than my winning times. If I had kept my cool, I would likely have been right there on their bumpers on the last lap and I could have potentially stolen a victory. Would setup change that? Likely not. But. maybe I don't have to fight the car so much. Maybe I don't have the under-steer to deal with. Or, maybe, instead of finishing second in the Mustang, I can do it in the Huracan, because right now the difference between those two cars is consistency. I can consistently get decent laps out of the Mustang while I cannot get consistent laps out of the Huracan. And, also, if the problem lies in my hand and supposed lack of skill, where are the other Huracans?

So, for your consideration, my current fast lap at Interlagos is 1:32:1 with the Mustang.

My current fast lap at interlagos with the Huracan is 1:32:5, with an ideal lap of 1:32:3.

By those numbers, the Huracan should be a common choice and it should be winning at Interlagos. Why aren't we seeing this "neutral handling" car being used more often? Could it be that its base handling is simply not conducive to consistent laps by even the best of us?

Back