Pokémon GO: Catch 'Em All in the Real World

United States
Los Angeles
GTP_DrivingPark
Finetales
I hope this is the best place for this. I did several searches and turned up nothing, and since this is neither a console nor PC game (its platform (smartphones) probably qualifies more as a "gadget" in this forum than a gaming console) I couldn't find a standard place for it go.

-----

The Pokémon Company, Nintendo and Niantic (who made the Ingress augmented reality smartphone game) have just announced that they will be partnering to create an Android/iOS AR Pokémon game.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/10/9300009/pokemon-go-ios-android-ingress

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-go/

The game will be free to play, with in-app purchases and a separate purchaseable smart watch called Pokémon GO Plus.

My thoughts?

I honestly can't say I've ever been hyped for a release this much. Watching that trailer brought forth so many emotions at once (all of them good). It doesn't help that I had an idea identical to what they are describing several months ago, and was planning on learning Java exclusively so I could make it a reality. I thought there was no way Pokémon would ever make a smartphone game, and yet here it is. While I can't help but be bitter that my idea that I was so excited about is no longer mine, my excitement overwhelms any petty bitterness. Especially because, realistically, this game will be way better than anything I could make (and can use actual Pokémon, and not my license-free creations). If they make this game as good as it can be, it will be stellar.

This game (and I had the same thoughts when designing mine) could have people travelling the world to catch Pokemon. If they host festival events such as the Mewtwo event in the video and people flock to them, it will really be very near having actual Pokémon in real life. It will be taking Pokémon out of kids' bedrooms and schools to the global first-world culture. As a '90s kid who grew up playing the original games, I feel that this game provides those of us who are now out of college and into the real world a chance to rediscover the magic of Pokémon. (I say this while still playing the original games regularly.) I can envision a world where you meet someone at a bar, and instead of going right to sports or the weather, you can ask "what's your team like?" and they'll list off their Pokémon without a second thought. Anyway...I could go on for hours spewing out unbridled hype for this thing.

So what do you think? Cool idea or gimmick? Likely success or failure? As game-changing as I think it can be?

I'm not into Pokemon, but the idea of an augmented reality Pokemon game sounds pretty cool. How successful it'll become, I'm not sure.

They lost me at "in-app purchases". I'd rather they made some of the older games available for mobile. It does come across as a bit of a quick cash grab to me, honestly. The hardcore fans probably won't get into it, they're all waiting for the next generation main game/remake and the nostalgic '90s kids' who haven't played Pokémon since Red/Blue will get annoyed when they see anything other than a Gen 1 Pokémon and forget about the game within a couple of weeks.

I find this idea very interesting however, despite being a huge Pokemon fan. I will not pick this up because I don't like Mobile Gaming.

Upsides:
- Pokémon
- Neat idea actually, the whole augmented reality concept is solid
- Fact that it is on mobile is a smart move, simply because of appeal to the masses
- Pokémon. Oh, did I already mention that?

Downsides:
- In App Purchases. The moment you say this, anyone who has sense pauses. Some accept, some do not. Personally in games I rarely see it work.
- Well the fact that all these great ideas are coming out BUT they don't clock on as well as people hope. Chances of that Times Square scene happening? Not great.
- With technology moving the way it is how long is it before we see something that will surpass this? Probably not very long. If it was a gameboy game people will play for nostalgia. But on a phone? Just a quick uninstall...

Overall I am very curious about this, because it could be awesome. But judgement reserved for now

I think I am too old to legitley wear the wristband for it :lol:

BN-KF935_PokePl_G_20150910141706.jpg

It's a cool idea, I just hope the AR works as well as the trailer shows. This would have been perfect for Google glass if it had taken off.

I also hope you don't get people running around eyes down with their phones to catch Pokémon which have spawned off cliff faces or something!

Last edited:
...15 years too late Nintendo/Gamefreak!!!:(:mad:

Few problems...one this seems to promote cock fights just with pokemon, look at that time square crowd, the blood thirst is real.

Second I could see this news headline: "three local youths were badly hurt today as they rode out into traffic chasing something called a Dragonite"

Lastly, you'll poke your eye out kid

Last edited:
I bet ya though, this'll attract lots of casual people and I'll be asked questions non-stop on how Pokemon works from the people at my school :lol:

Few problems...one this seems to promote cock fights just with pokemon, look at that time square crowd, the blood thirst is real.

It's like Day Z! :lol: You just know there are going to be fights brewing, especially in places like Japan where they are mad for this sort of stuff.

Second I could see this news headline: "three local youths were badly hurt to day as the rode out into traffic chasing something called a Dragonite"

This.

The Pokémon are going to spawn on the map pretty much anywhere without any awareness of what the area is actually like..... middle of building sites, motorways, private property etc. So take young people + distraction + competition + no sense of safety = brilliant recipe there Nintendo!

All this slightly reminds me of Digimon except it's much much more dangerous!

It's like Day Z! :lol: You just know there are going to be fights brewing, especially in places like Japan where they are mad for this sort of stuff.

This.

The Pokémon are going to spawn on the map pretty much anywhere without any awareness of what the area is actually like..... middle of building sites, motorways, private property etc. So take young people + distraction + competition + no sense of safety = brilliant recipe there Nintendo!

All this slightly reminds me of Digimon except it's much much more dangerous!

Nah, I'm sure it gets access to the remote location thing or it can't be accessed- it probably cross references your location to not only determine possible roads and the like but also just the general area to know what Pokemon to spawn I'd imagine.

My main problem with something like this is just the concept of it is amazing- but why free-to-play cash grab? Right when I heard the "Free to play" I just, instantly disheartened. I'm sure it will be fun to people, both people that pay and those that don't. Most games such as this however don't have a good balance in making it fun enough for the free to play people without throwing up a "Oh you're out of X, if you pay Y, we can get you X- and it's even on sale at the price it normally would be if we didn't pretend it was another price at that moment!"
I love Nintendo but I feel like they are taking a bad turn if they are going to just throw their lot in with other Free-to-play like systems.

We'll have to wait and see before we torch it to the ground but I don't feel like they made a good move in my opinion.

Nah, I'm sure it gets access to the remote location thing or it can't be accessed- it probably cross references your location to not only determine possible roads and the like but also just the general area to know what Pokemon to spawn I'd imagine.

My main problem with something like this is just the concept of it is amazing- but why free-to-play cash grab? Right when I heard the "Free to play" I just, instantly disheartened. I'm sure it will be fun to people, both people that pay and those that don't. Most games such as this however don't have a good balance in making it fun enough for the free to play people without throwing up a "Oh you're out of X, if you pay Y, we can get you X- and it's even on sale at the price it normally would be if we didn't pretend it was another price at that moment!"
I love Nintendo but I feel like they are taking a bad turn if they are going to just throw their lot in with other Free-to-play like systems.

We'll have to wait and see before we torch it to the ground but I don't feel like they made a good move in my opinion.

If it stayed true to the series, then you'd have to catch Magmar in a legit volcano. Thus only people in Washington and Hawaii get the chance, oh region based topographical natural structures. I'm joking...

Curious as to how it will work but I'm not overly excited, would like Nintendo to prove me wrong, but I feel this will just be a showcase as to what Nintendo can do rather than a game which you will get many hours out of.

Though it has got me to play some older Pokemon so, there's that.👍

Curious as to how it will work but I'm not overly excited, would like Nintendo to prove me wrong, but I feel this will just be a showcase as to what Nintendo can do rather than a game which you will get many hours out of.

Though it has got me to play some older Pokemon so, there's that.👍

That was the goal Luke, they wanted you to load up Pokemon blue to your still functioning Gameboy Color

Where the hell would you find an Aerodactyl?

Well you'd go to China, right? Raid a fossil retrieval teams camp and then fight off their armed security and thus gaining the prehistoric material to revive Aerodactyl. The end.

Basically Nintendo wants kids and adults to become Indiana Jones but with Pokemon...so basically Nintendo wants to create a real life version of this guy...

150px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Lance.png

I'm betting it will be something along the lines of this, which looks pretty cool.

As for the Pokémon part, I couldn't care less as I've never played, caught, watched or plushied one, never mind all of them.

TB
I'm betting it will be something along the lines of this, which looks pretty cool.

As for the Pokémon part, I couldn't care less as I've never played, caught, watched or plushied one, never mind all of them.

How dare you good sir, come into this sanctity and deface Pokemon in such a way. It is only by luck I don't send out my Charizard...yes I have one!!! (in my dreams)

Good thing is that I expect my favourite Pokemon; Eelektross (or at least, its pre-evolution) to be very common around the beach and cave areas in Australia.

I imagine Kids walking into an Electric Plant just to catch a Magnemite and Zapdos :lol:.

Good thing is that I expect my favourite Pokemon; Eelektross (or at least, its pre-evolution) to be very common around the beach and cave areas in Australia.

I imagine Kids walking into an Electric Plant just to catch a Magnemite and Zapdos :lol:.

You have to swim with real Great Whites to catch a Sharpedo...so there is a down side :sly::(

They lost me at "in-app purchases". I'd rather they made some of the older games available for mobile. It does come across as a bit of a quick cash grab to me, honestly. The hardcore fans probably won't get into it, they're all waiting for the next generation main game/remake and the nostalgic '90s kids' who haven't played Pokémon since Red/Blue will get annoyed when they see anything other than a Gen 1 Pokémon and forget about the game within a couple of weeks.

I understand the weariness and I too would rather it just be something you have to purchase, but I'm optimistic that it will be alright because Niantec is involved. Ingress is free to play (not pay to win though), so there's a company that has experience with making an F2P game (paid for by in-game adverts). I'm hoping that the collective minds of the three companies can provide a model that makes sense. Like, for example, you can pay to buy Pokemon you don't have access to where you live if you don't want to or aren't able to go to some far corner of the world to find one and catch it, and things like that. They'd have to be careful though, because the minute you make master balls and full restores and things like that purchasable, it has potential to turn very quickly into a pay-to-win game. So I have apprehension, but I think they have a chance to pull it off well.

Looks like a fantastic idea in theory, but I'll reserve my judgement until gameplay is shown.

Agreed, of course. The trailer is off-the-chain awesome, but we'll really see what happens when we see actual gameplay. I'm holding my breath that it turns out to be as good as I want it to be after watching the trailer.

I also hope you don't get people running around eyes down with their phones to catch Pokémon which have spawned off cliff faces or something!

Second I could see this news headline: "three local youths were badly hurt today as the rode out into traffic chasing something called a Dragonite"

I get this. One could make many arguments for and against this point. To me children (of any age) who have smartphones are already in danger of walking out into the street while texting or whatever else. If you're so fixated on your phone that you can't notice the real world around you and the fact that there's a road with cars flying by right in front of you, I don't think having a Pokemon app will change the frequency at which you're susceptible to being removed from the gene pool. There are many people like this in the college town where I live - it could be a high schooler from one of the two local high schools or a business major at Kelley - and I don't think gaining the app would worsen the danger they pose to themselves. They're completely clueless already.

If it stayed true to the series, then you'd have to catch Magmar in a legit volcano. Thus only people in Washington and Hawaii get the chance, oh region based topographical natural structures. I'm joking...

See, I honestly think this is how they should do it. Encourage people who never would bother otherwise to go out and travel the world, and see the Earth in all its glory. If certain legendaries are only catchable at the Empire State Building, Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower, Mt. Fuji, etc. it promotes globetrotting, and I love that. Don't have the ability to do that? That's what the game's economy and trading market is for.

TB

I'd imagine so, because the developer behind that game is one of the three companies involved with this one. I played it for a while and it was a cool idea and execution. Didn't really get into it because the "story" behind it was so abstract.

Isn't the game meant to be ̶f̶e̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶ free to play anyway? Perhaps they mean buyers of the new game will get access to a Beta. Of course, it would probably be best to take these rumours with a grain of salt.

Back