Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

What can you do with the special paint and inverted decals? Show off your skill in this fortnight's theme - Masking Tape. Image and liveries by @Cytoria. - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
In @Cytoria's own words - the livery editor has its limits, but with some finesse there are always solutions and workaround for most things. What can you do when you want a special color? You mask. Let's take a deeper look:

As we all know, and despite its refinement, the livery editor has some limits. One of these is that you can't select a special paint for a sticker. Since the release of the game, we developed techniques to override this. This week's theme will show your skills with a special paint and masks !

CARS:
Any
LIVERIES: A livery with a special colour base coat (see unique restrictions)
USER MADE DECALS: Allowed
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko for the main pics
1) Choose the Shiretoko scape (found by searching all locations and refining by 'Japan'and 'Snow'):

View attachment 729370

2) Apply the following settings:

Camera

Camera Settings

Aperture: F 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 (as it's not a panning shot I don't know that this is important)
Focus: Single AF

Environment Settings
Aspect: 16:9
Orientation: Landscape
Resolution: High

Effects

White Balance
Temperature: 9800 K
Colour Cast Correction: -0.060
Exposure correction: EV +2.0

Special Effects
Chromatic Aberration: 5

Screen Effect 1
Mask: Background
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 0
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 100
Midpoint Correction: 100
Blackpoint Correction: -5

Car Effects
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 150
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 120
Highlight: 500
Midpoint Correction: 500
Blackpoint Correction: 0

3) Place your car in the middle of the scape at a suitable angle:

View attachment 729371

4) Zoom in to 102mm (certain cars may require more or less to fit in the viewfinder) and move the camera until you're happy that the car is centred in the shot:

View attachment 729372

5) Move the focus to the nearest corner of the car (I normally centre on the headlamp closest to the centre of the image) and take your shot.

6) For a shot of the rear, go back to the Car tab and hit R2, switch to Camera and refocus (again I use the tail lamp nearest the centre) and take the shot. If the car has moved off-centre then move the viewfinder and adjust the zoom as you see fit.

For new cars/liveries simply find the scape in your library and reopen and change the car, then rinse and repeat as above.

Images, GIFs, entry format and tutorial made by @BLiTZ
360° GIF: Optional
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS:
1) The livery must use a special paint base coat from the Mileage Exchange. You have to specify which one you choose in your post. The most "special" it is, the better (It would be sad to use Rosso Corsa as a special base !).

2) The special colour must be a part of the livery. You can't just select a special base and put sponsors on it. You also can't cover the whole car except one or two inverted decals. I think we can fix a minimum of 60% of the special base covered by masking stickers.

3) You can do replica or fantasy liveries.

4) The two main pics will follow the rules of the previous week. If you wish you can add one more pic (overview) for the poll, and one pic of one particular detail of your masking in your post.

Good examples of this theme :

My own Abba Commercials AMG GT3 : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ad-original-post.361634/page-42#post-12174044 (with only in-game shapes for the mask)

MMX's Invictus Games F-Type Gr.4 : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/mmxs-rookie-liveries.361787/page-5#post-12180108 (with both in-game shapes and user decal)

Hayden's LEC#3 458 Italia GT3 : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...mpetition-03-open.377216/page-4#post-12293703 (with in-game shapes for the mask)

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this poll. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • Do not vote for your own entry.
  • Do not try to sway the poll.
  • Please, view each image in its full size, or view the full 360° GIF before voting.
  • In the event of a tie, a 24H tiebreaker poll will be posted. All contestants in the tiebreaker are asked to vote; if one person doesn't, all other contestants votes won't count.

Poll Option #1

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #2

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #3

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #4

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #5

20180429115742a-jpg.732992

20180429115721a-jpg.732993

20180429120144a-jpg45s79.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #6

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #7

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #8

proxy.phpimagehttps3ag3s0t.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #9

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #10

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #11

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #12

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #13

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #14

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #15

blaupunkt-amg-front-sw1pye.jpg

blaupunkt-amg-rear-shzgql3.jpg

blaupunkt-amg-additiozeovl.jpg

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #16

8qTbOTv.png

Poll Option #17 - Disqualified

Deadline

May 13, 2018

Last edited:
First to the vote! As usual it was really hard to choose, the level is always very high in the LEC. Eventually, I had to discard voting options based on little things that I liked less compared to other entries...and the only livery that I liked completely, both the livery itself, the masking work, and the base car combined, was the Alpinestars 4C. So there goes my vote, but everyone should be proud!

First to the vote! As usual it was really hard to choose, the level is always very high in the LEC. Eventually, I had to discard voting options based on little things that I liked less compared to other entries...and the only livery that I liked completely, both the livery itself, the masking work, and the base car combined, was the Alpinestars 4C. So there goes my vote, but everyone should be proud!

Hold your horses. I need to check something. Poll will be up again shortly. Apparently some entries are missing.

Poll is back online. All entries are counted for. @Strax you can cast your vote again now. :lol:

All images posted are there to view. This will change in the future comps. Please don't post more images than necessary in the future, guys and gals. ;)

Poll is back online. All entries are counted for. @Strax you can cast your vote again now. :lol:
Something was indeed missing, the Transformers Mustang! Now you're making this even harder for me :lol:

So, I had to do this all over again...but eventually, my decision stays the same: my vote is for the Alfa because of the aforementioned reasons. But again, congrats to everyone!

Something was indeed missing, the Transformers Mustang! Now you're making this even harder for me :lol:

So, I had to do this all over again...but eventually, my decision stays the same: my vote is for the Alfa because of the aforementioned reasons. But again, congrats to everyone!
Not only that but the gamer 650S too! ;)

Yeah it was a hard choice for sure. As usual the quality in these comps are so high! Wonder if my Project Cars BMW gets any votes. :lol:

I wish people would stick to the rules of how and how many pictures are allowed to be added :lol:

Anyway, hard choice again this time, not sure what I'll vote for yet :nervous: 💡

Aaagrh I picked the wrong one! :banghead: Can a vote be changed?
Nope. Afraid not. Voting here is the exact same format (with a twist) as the PMC so for everyone confused which is which just think of it like the PMC. Will tweak it further in the next ones to make it more clear I guess.

@D3V and @Nuschel01 are being really helpful, instead of manually making the list the hard way like I did in the other ones I now get their help. Massively grateful. :cheers:

It is indeed pretty hard to chose ! I think I'll need some time to think about who I pick and write a little text about my choices and everyones great entries... Maybe not as detailed as the one Jordan did, but I think all of us were pretty pleased to see its analysis.

Updated the OP, forgot to thank @D3V for helping with the initial poll creation, and now updated again thanks to @Nuschel01's work so it won't be confusing which entry is which, so voting can be a lot easier now. :)

That looks indeed a lot better 👍
Next time I won't go through the hassle and resize and reupload any images that are too big tho :scared:

That looks indeed a lot better 👍
Next time I won't go through the hassle and resize and reupload any images that are too big tho :scared:
My bad as well, I didn't exclude them this time. I disqualified them in the past and definitely should have now too. I was tired when I clicked publish. :P I didn't look through the list close enough.

So yeah, next time remember max 640px and a maximum of two additional pictures in a spoiler, guys and gals.

My bad as well, I didn't exclude them this time. I disqualified them in the past and definitely should have now too.

So yeah, next time remember max 640px and a maximum of two additional pictures in a spoiler, guys and gals.

I’ve checked the last day before the end of the competition and everyone was in 640px... but with links to full size pics. I didn’t want to loose a great entry because of that but they seemed fine.

I’ve checked the last day before the end of the competition and everyone was in 640px... but with links to full size pics. I didn’t want to loose a great entry because of that but they seemed fine.
It looked like a few spoiler images was bigger though, all images needs to be 640px, not just the two main ones. :)

The additional shot of the Gr.1 Cadillac, the RedBull MX5 and all the photos of the Blaupunkt AMG were oversized.

It looked like a few spoiler images was bigger though, all images needs to be 640px, not just the two main ones. :)
I didn't realize all had to be that size. I thought the spoiler images could be big, which was why they were in spoilers.

Tough choice but I went for the Rizla VW. Could easily have voted for a number of others.

@syntex123 would you ever consider multiple votes? It likely wouldn't change the outcome but it might provide a less binary view on the result of the poll. There are sometimes entries that I don't think deserve to get no votes, but are not quite good enough to get my 1 vote... there's no representation for that.

MMX
I didn't realize all had to be that size. I thought the spoiler images could be big, which was why they were in spoilers.
It says clearly that your images needs to be 640px, spoiler or not. :) The spoiler is there to not clutter the entry.

@syntex123 would you ever consider multiple votes? It likely wouldn't change the outcome but it might provide a less binary view on the result of the poll. There are sometimes entries that I don't think deserve to get no votes, but are not quite good enough to get my 1 vote... there's no representation for that.

I have thought about it. But enforcing the whole "pick your top three and vote for those" will never be followed. See how many rules that have been breached so far, enforcing a 3-vote rule would never work in the long run. Maybe I'll give it a test at a later stage, but first I need people to follow the existing rules before making a new one. Ok? :)

I have thought about it. But enforcing the whole "pick your top three and vote for those" will never be followed. See how many rules that have been breached so far, enforcing a 3-vote rule would never work in the long run. Maybe I'll give it a test at a later stage, but first I need people to follow the existing rules before making a new one. Ok? :)

The poll could only be set as « one » or « multiple » choices, but you can’t set it to « 3 » ?

Fair enough. I thought you could specify the maximum number of votes in the poll options.

The poll could only be set as « one » or « multiple » choices, but you can’t set it to « 3 » ?
You're correct. That's why enforcing a 3-vote rule is impossible right now. People would ignore this and do more than just 3. :P
Fair enough. I thought you could specify the maximum number of votes in the poll options.
Sadly not :(

You can limit the number of selectable entries but then some people would only vote for 1 or 2 entries. I‘m fine with being limited to one entry 👍

Ok, time for the novel !

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who entered this competition. Your liveries are great and I respect the time and work you put on them. Picking only one choice is so unfair. It is not that one is good and the others aren't. It works on the PMC, but I guess people won't spend more than half an hour on their pics, whereas the liveries implies multiples hours of work, and it's very frustrating to not be able to valorise that.

As the initiator of the theme, I feel the need to develop my choices, and I though that a notation system will be helpful and more objective.
Livery design is for the style and the originality of the livery. Masking skills evaluate the work and the respect of the rules. Level of detail valorises the tiny little things in the liveries. I tried to be the most objective, and I hope not to hurt anyone. The level is so high !

@Mires Swift : Clean, simple and efficient design.
Livery design : 7/10 - Masking skills : 6/10 - Level of detail : 5/10 - OVERALL : 18/30

@syntex123 BMW : Nicely done and good design but IMHO less masking details than some other entries
Livery design : 7/10 - Masking skills : 6/10 - Level of detail : 9/10 - OVERALL : 22/30

@Snake55wildcat Supra : Striking design, a sort of ice cold drift car.
Livery design : 9/10 - Masking skills : 7/10 - Level of detail : 6/10 - OVERALL : 22/30

@Strax Clio : Happy birthday ;) Your car is great and the SVG work is visible, so is the roof.
Livery design : 7/10 - Masking skills : 8/10 - Level of detail : 6/10 - OVERALL : 21/30

@Sjaak MX-5 : Nice use of the inverted decals, and good job of masking with shapes for the continuous lines of the bonnet.
Livery design : 7/10 - Masking skills : 7/10 - Level of detail : 7/10 - OVERALL : 21/30

@Nuschel01 Mustang : A mix of inverted decals and masked stripes for a bold result.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 8/10 - Level of detail : 7/10 - OVERALL : 23/30

@JKcreativeworks Huracan : Lots of lovely details with the thin lines in the cuts made for the special colour.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 7/10 - Level of detail : 9/10 - OVERALL : 24/30

@MMX Audi : A great entry too, and it is harder to work with LMP, as all of you will learn in the next LEC.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 9/10 - Level of detail : 8/10 - OVERALL : 25/30

@KK78 GT-R : You already had a nice design, and you had the humility of starting it again after your first entry. Nice use of gradients, stripes and inverted decals.
Livery design : 9/10 - Masking skills : 8/10 - Level of detail : 7/10 - OVERALL : 24/30

@Teal Mini : An awesome design for a patriotic road car.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 7/10 - Level of detail : 5/10 - OVERALL : 20/30

@V100s Scirocco : Very serious game here. Inverted decals, lines, patterns all is here. I just wonder how this would look with a dark grey instead of Rizla blue !
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 10/10 - Level of detail : 9/10 - OVERALL : 27/30

@nowcontrol 650S : This is really very Nvidia-esque. I really like how the green decals melt into the GW colourshift paint depending of the angle.
Livery design : 9/10 - Masking skills : 7/10 - Level of detail : 8/10 - OVERALL : 24/30

@uccio21 Mustang : What a job on these side decals ! The lines around the car are also well executed, not to mention the chrome rear lights surrounding. Stunning effect on the sunshine.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 10/10 - Level of detail : 9/10 - OVERALL : 27/30

@Raphaele 4C : Very good idea of the cuts into the gradients. It looks simple but those here knows the skills behind this trick. And as I previously said, I love the view from above.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 9/10 - Level of detail : 7/10 - OVERALL : 24/30

@MatskiMonk VGT : I can only imagine how patient you had to be to align and match all these lines. Another art car in your amazing collection.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 9/10 - Level of detail : 9/10 - OVERALL : 26/30

@im2fst4u Camaro : I'm a big fan of Pixar and you did a great tribute to them with this car. Colourful and refreshing design.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 8/10 - Level of detail : 7/10 - OVERALL : 23/30

@Mr_Coconut AMG : For someone who asked two days ago "what is masking", the result is beyond expectations.
Livery design : 8/10 - Masking skills : 7/10 - Level of detail : 7/10 - OVERALL : 22/30

As you may notice, we have a draw. Two awesome entries, with a lot of work behing them, and it is so hard to say who deserves the only vote I can give. And I know both of their work here and in the game, there are so many amazing liveries in their galleries. I've not voted before writing this, nor asked for the current ranking, so I am not influenced.

After a long debate with myself, and with a pinch in my heart, my vote goes to
@V100s Scirocco. Because the livery design would have been 9 if there wasn't this Rezly blue.

Thanks again for all your entries !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back