[POLL] How Far do you want Car Maintenance to go?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 166 comments

How far do you want Car ownership/maintenance to go in GT6?

• Extreme: Details like Spark plugs, all fluids, individual engine components etc

Votes: 123 34.3%
  • Advanced: Major components like Pad/rotor changes, wheel alignment, and clutch along with what wa

Votes: 134 37.3%
  • What was in GT5

Votes: 37 10.3%
  • Toned down GT5 options: just oil change and maybe chassis refresh

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Get rid of all maintenance

Votes: 54 15.0%

• Total voters
GTP_Royalton
One of the things that separates Gran Turismo from most driving simulations is you have to maintain the car with oil changes, car washes, engine rebuilds, and chassis restorations. This is done to give more of a feeling of ownership.

With each GT game something new is almost added to car maintenance in GT Auto. In GT3 we got oil changes for the first time. GT4 introduced chassis maintenance/restoration.

However some think this is taking things too far, while others think GT needs to go further.

Please vote in the poll with your opinion.

Last edited:
GTs progressive maintenence is pretty cool, but i believe the interface and process through wich users interact with it needs to be improved. In GT5 i thought doing chassis and engine restores to every used car was incredibly time consuming, although i could see that developers would never invision people purchasing handfulls of standards at a time.

An option to perform maintence upon purchase for an increased price would be awesome

Extreme of course... :sly:

But I would be happy with the advanced one aswell, as long as there is more customizations then in GT5.

I thought that the options GT Auto offered were rather useful, except maybe the car wash. I'd like GT Auto to be uprated to something along the lines of the advanced choice, the extreme choice seems a bit... well, extreme, but it'd be pretty cool if they did include it!

I kinda like it the way it is, I rather focus more time on tuning than maintenance. One thing they should do though is, put wear on the car no matter what mode you're in. Right now you don't wear anything if you're in free run, I've been using a car for nearly 6 months straight (drifting), besides changing for only "new" seasonals, and it has no mile accumulation.

They should work on that before extending to advanced maintenance.

One thing they should do though is, put wear on the car no matter what mode you're in.

I agree. Online mileage on the car would be nice. Although, a lot of my cars would probably have over 100k if they did! :lol:

I'd go with advance. Oil change, engine rebuild, brake maintainence and chassis reinforcement.

With that I would like them to add brake fading, and maybe some indicator that tells you how much life your brakes still have. They don't even need to go as far as rotor changes; only the pads would be nice.

Great idea here 👍

I have no interest, PD can do whatever they want as long as I can ignore it. Outside of races my cars should stay zero miles, at the same hp, in the same condition, forever.

Having power change in the middle of the race due to engine wear or something is fine, as long as it's automatically repaired after the race.

I like the idea of the "advanced" option but ultimately voted to keep it the same, mainly because I don't want them getting distracted from other things they really need to improve (engine sounds and AI). Brake pads though would be nice but again it should be like fuel or tires, wear should be able to switch on and off.

The big huge thing though, oil changes need to be available FROM THE TRACK. I find it very tedious to have to leave the race/practice I've loaded just because after a few laps of the Nurburgring 50hp have disappeared. Would also be nice to have your car garage available from the track/practice, or at least a list of 6 that are "in your truck" and available at the track to switch between.

I want the GT Auto guys to say "Well here's ya problem." before they start work.

And they all must have pot bellies and mustaches.

I would like the current options to continue on but with the ability to purchase a new engine in the event that one gets so worn out that it's useless no matter how many times you refresh it.

I would also like the Chassis refresh to be explained some so that people don't continue to purchase it over and over before they realize there's no need and that they're wasting a huge amount of money.

My personal choice is to get rid of it. It's always been a hassle IMO. I would rather see that resource go into more tuning options. I hate how in GT5 your in the dark about your vehicle wear. If they do it in GT6 at least do it right and have some type of meter to indicate when to chassis restore or engine rebuild. Also maybe put in the option to remove animations, it's so tedious. I understand it's suppose to be a simulator but maintenance in video games is annoying.

Hate variable HP. Such a pain.

Yes! 👍

Different HP for OCD cars vs cars from tickets. 👎

Last edited:
I'd be happy if PD got rid of it as I'd rather not have to change my oil when its HP begins decreasing or any other car maintenance related stuff. The novelty of virtual car ownership quickly wore off after having to hop inside GTAuto and watch that cutscene play over, and over again each time I wanted to regain that lost power. If PD does bring it back (most likely I guess), make it optional or at least have a quick/auto refresh option.

sumbrownkid
I want the GT Auto guys to say "Well here's ya problem." before they start work.

And they all must have pot bellies and mustaches.

I thought Mario was a plumber :).

Last edited:
I want a car maintenance go to hell at the current state, its annoying to have to watch the booorign animations again and again. And it takes forever to do complete overhaul for a bunch of cars :nervous:
In online lobby you cant do anything about losing power.
Theres a big difference between not breaked-in and breaked-in car which can destroy some proper races (and it did to our community).
Its pointless in current state, only annoys from gaming.

I wouldn't be bothered if they got rid of the car wash feature, I've never noticed a difference to any of my cars after I've washed them. I'd like to see some more detailed maintenance too, It is a driving simulator after all and maintenance is a huge part of driving!

Scrap the car maintenance, and instead just pay for repairs to damage after each race. This streamlines the feature, and makes it less confusing. In GT5 you never really knew if you had to get your car chassis and engine overhauled or not, there was nothing obvious that told you this information; unless you carefully paid attention to your cars stats.

How about we go back to the good ol days of GT1 where their was only car wash.
Then in GT7 we can get the real stuff and everyone is happy again.

As for me I want the real life type things.

Usual car maintenance is interesting, makes the experience more fun and complete IMHO.

Oil changes, brake maintenance with realistic brake usage/fading, engine rebuilds, chassis maintenance and damage that stays in the car until you repair it.

Maybe the Advanced option, but I think I'd rather have whats in GT5. If the loading times aren't improved we would spend less time racing, and more time preforming maintenance

Learning and understanding even the basics of auto maintenance can be very interesting and fun. Such knowlegde can be critical in saving you time and costs and help make the car your driving safe. I think thats one of the purposes it's featured in GT to promote vehicle safety to carry out DIY vital inspections to save lives.

Scrap the car maintenance, and instead just pay for repairs to damage after each race. This streamlines the feature, and makes it less confusing. In GT5 you never really knew if you had to get your car chassis and engine overhauled or not, there was nothing obvious that told you this information; unless you carefully paid attention to your cars stats.

Oil changes color in GT to help you understand it's condition, I would like there to be a similar meter with chassis wear, engine wear, brake fade, etc in GT6

I think thats one of the purposes it's featured in GT to promote vehicle safety to carry out DIY vital inspections to save lives.

But for a video game the purpose of maintenance would be to go faster, you can't die in GT5. :sly:

Advanced imo. Extreme is just a little bit over what i think gran turismo needs. I almost didn't even choose advanced but i think even that could be a bit.

But no higher than advanced imo

Oil changes color in GT to help you understand it's condition, I would like there to be a similar meter with chassis wear, engine wear, brake fade, etc in GT6

agreed 👍 or a separate data sheet similar to the tuning set-up sheets.

Last edited:
Wise words from Tenacious D

Tenacious D
Because, as usual, you want Gran Turismo to be a game made for YOU. This is unfortunately way too common around here with so many kids and random thinkers. Posters tend to fall into two camps:
  • Those who have suggestions for changes and improvements to Gran Turismo.
  • Those who will grab entire hunks of the game and fuss with them or toss them out at whim, essentially asking for a radically different game than the fans are used to.

When it comes to easy things like maintenance of your car in a tight economic environment, it’s simple to just ignore the problems you’re starting to experience in your car. Many drivers don’t really pay attention to the signs that their car is telling them unless they get in real trouble. However, you must know that automobile negligence has its price.

Back