[POLL] How Far do you want Car Maintenance to go?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 166 comments

How far do you want Car ownership/maintenance to go in GT6?

• Extreme: Details like Spark plugs, all fluids, individual engine components etc

Votes: 123 34.3%
  • Advanced: Major components like Pad/rotor changes, wheel alignment, and clutch along with what wa

Votes: 134 37.3%
  • What was in GT5

Votes: 37 10.3%
  • Toned down GT5 options: just oil change and maybe chassis refresh

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Get rid of all maintenance

Votes: 54 15.0%

• Total voters
Someone linked to something about Real Racing 3 here the other day, I do wonder if some people here would actually want something like this:

repairs.jpg

SimonK
Someone linked to something about Real Racing 3 here the other day, I do wonder if some people here would actually want something like this:

Yes! Thats what we need. Thats a service interval type setup.

I derive no enjoyment from having to periodically take a time-out to go through a few menus to select a virtual oil change, and never but once bothered with a car wash (only that one time just to see it in "action"). This maintenance adds no joy to gameplay. It's just extra time spent going through a menu to do chores. I'd like to see all the boring chores gone.

I derive no enjoyment from having to periodically take a time-out to go through a few menus to select a virtual oil change, and never but once bothered with a car wash (only that one time just to see it in "action"). This maintenance adds no joy to gameplay. It's just extra time spent going through a menu to do chores. I'd like to see all the boring chores gone.

Exactly. I was a car mechanic for a short time (About 3 years after training) and the fun part of maintaining and repairing a car is the physical part. Getting your hands dirty, getting into the cars guts and the feeling of acomplishment when you're finished. Even washing a car has that feeling in the real world.

In a game, I don't understand it. Whichever way you look at it you're just pressing a few buttons to do the work. You're not touching anything, there is nothing to feel proud about, no accomplishment. It just gets in the way of actually playing the game and having fun.

The idea of actually waiting in game for repairs to take place is truly baffling as I said above. Why would you want that in a GAME? Something for FUN?

Real Racing 3 is a bad example, because it takes several minutes and more for something to happen. The system is their to encourage you to spend more money on the game. Having maintenance features would make you care a bit more about your cars and driving behaviour. In GT5, I buy a car, throw it around some corners (maybe even crashing it), and nothing happens. Now let's say I have to pay for damage and worn parts, it would also mean I have to drive more carefully. That could also seperate GT Life more from the Arcade Mode.

SEGA GT actually had this to some degree and I really liked it.

Real Racing 3 is a bad example, because it takes several minutes and more for something to happen. The system is their to encourage you to spend more money on the game. Having maintenance features would make you care a bit more about your cars and driving behaviour. In GT5, I buy a car, throw it around some corners (maybe even crashing it), and nothing happens. Now let's say I have to pay for damage and worn parts, it would also mean I have to drive more carefully. That could also seperate GT Life more from the Arcade Mode.

SEGA GT actually had this to some degree and I really liked it.

But why? It's a game. The whole point is that we don't have to be careful as we do in real life. I'm not going to drive cautiously in a game so that I don't risk getting a $50,000 repair bill on my Ferrari. Thats taking all the fun out of it IMO.

But why? It's a game. The whole point is that we don't have to be careful as we do in real life. I'm not going to drive cautiously in a game so that I don't risk getting a $50,000 repair bill on my Ferrari. Thats taking all the fun out of it IMO.

I'm all for the type of repair bills you mentioned although as long as the repair is automatic and I don't have to do it manually. It would encourage cleaner racing and give you some small consequence for your actions. In GT mode of course and not practice, cutom race, arcade, online etc.

It makes progressing in the game more challenging and rewarding. Once you've reached a certain point in the game, something like 50.000 Cr. doesn't hurt anymore. It would also make the game more of a simulator.

As the person above says if it was all automatic and just taken out of your cash at the end of the race I could live with that. I am however strongly against any manual maintenance in the form of pressing a few buttons and/or watching some silly animations in a menu, over and over again.

These guys are talking about pressing buttons to change spark plugs and change brake calipers.

Hahaha! This exactly! I get wanting to feel connected to a car, but pressing X is not the way.

If the GT Auto mechanic asks me if I want to buy a PVC valve when I get my oil changed, I'll rage quit.

There needs to be a balance with how complex the options are with how deep the experience is you get from it. The more elegant of a design, the easier it is to achieve greater depth.

I want a deeper experience thats richer but not complicated, time consuming, or largely pointless.

Getting rid of maintenance does not enrich or deepen the experience. Instead it tears the experience, if you can still call it that, down to a bare bones state. You no longer are part of the GT universe, you're simply giving it a test drive.

Caring for and replacing certain fluids and parts of the car that do not affect performance are pointless exercises. It a time consuming affair that adds needless complexity without offering greater depth.

How far they should go really depends on how deep the simulation is. Let me buy a variety of connecting rods if the game simulates the consequences of my purchase through performance and reliability issues. Otherwise, its not needed.

Yes please, I chose option 'Advanced'. This would be pretty cool and sim-like. But I hope that the maintenace wouldn't cost so much, like you could do them 'yourself' in the game. It's just stupid to me that the car does not change at all, even you've driven like 100,000.

i would go for advanced.

things like brake pads, clutch or engine repair/ oil change are ok. but parts like spark plugs or the brake fluid is a bit too much.

i would like to see an option to increase the max rpm of an eninge but with the danger to risk a damage!

What about car washes? Cars don't even get dirty in GT5.

edit: 2 minutes later and SimonK hasn't commented, I wonder if he's feeling well?

If they must have maintenance, can we at least have an automatic maintenance option for those of us who find it an unbearable pain in the arse? That way people who enjoy it can, and I can get on with driving the cars instead of clicking silly buttons to watch a guy slide under my car.

It should be based on difficulty level. Higher difficulty the more you will have to upkeep the car.

It should be based on difficulty level. Higher difficulty the more you will have to upkeep the car.

So those of us who want high levels of difficulty also have to put up with time wasting "maintenance" on virtual cars? No thanks.

Maintenance, isn't it great that in a game you don't need to do it. It's a chore in real life, I don't want to change my pads every 3 races.
I say, the GT5 model is all right (except for that oil change that increases your HP) but I won't be sad if it's gone. I see it like eating in GTA:SA, just too much microgestion and remember that we're in a virtual reality.

I have to wonder if the people who want things like this and those that want free roam which involves driving around at the limit obeying laws are those under the driving age and can't do it in real life, with their own real car. Because otherwise I'm struggling to think why you want want that sort of thing in the virtual world.

I would kill for free roam.. I know it's too late (wont make that much of a difference) but I want to take back what I said. Im starting to HATE GTAuto. I know it's only 5 options but Im BOOOOORED already. Imagine what it would be like with what I selected (extreme).... *shudders...

What it is in GT5 is enough for me already, I want to spend my time racing, not spending 200CR just so I can watch an animation of a guy rotating my tires.

I want rust and damage to be persistant, also random engine failure when racing with a beat up engine.

All of this needs maintenance thou. ♥

I think the effect of wear and tear and maybe even visual damage on the various parts is important in Gran Turismo. Think of the clutch slipping, gearbox missing a gear once in a while, engine losing power over time and especially with hard use, and so on. Old used cars while cheap would be in disadvantage in mechanical defects. In GT5 they only have a small loss of power.

It could be very detailed but there's no need to make it tedious. The actual 'maintenance' part could be made as simple as implementing a few buttons in the tuning screen to fix mechanical wear/visual damage/replace consumable parts, maybe leaving some optional room for those who want more control over this.

As the effect fuel/tire consumption can be toggled on/off in races, so could car wear and tear. "Off" could make the game assume all cars, even hard used ones, as new, therefore satisfying those who want a more casual or 'no frills' racing experience.

I am for the "Arcade" approach for those who only want to race, and not be concerned about proper setup and physics. But the simulation mode should have tire, oil and other ware and tear attention to detail. However, too much detail will create a game hard for the programmers to manage. So if the programmers can manage it, give the upkeep to the sim disk and create a Arcade disk for everyone else.👍

To those that don't like in-depth maintenance:
What about real-time strategy games like Warcraft where you have to wait for some new technology to be built, or games like SimCity where there's also a lot of waiting?

If it's designed properly, it could be interesting, just sayin.

OR do most people on this forum just hate those types of games?

(where's that popcorn smilie?)

Back