[POLL] How long have you ever left your PS3 running and did it fail?

• Thread starter Hastatus
  • 90 comments
Canada
Canada
Given that GT5 is probably the only PS3 game that has or will ever have so many reasons to leave one’s PS3 on for such long extended periods of time (grinding, endurance races, B-spec, B-spec anywhere), this forum seems like the best place to get some statistics about PS3 longevity. Generally I suspect YLOD from PS3s being on for extended periods of time is not as significant as the environment you run it in and most people tend to mention when their system fails while those who have their PS3 running non-stop without issues have no reason/motivation to let the world know. [I had my fat 80 gb on for 3 months without any issues.]

Anyways...

What is the longest that you have ever left your PS3 running and did it crash and burn; or is it still going strong? NOTE: the separate options for FATTY and SLIM PS3s

Update - After 165 votes

There is a 4% failure rate (7 people). More fatty PS3s have failed (6:1) but it is not unexpected that older units would fail more than younger ones.

Just over 40% of people have left their PS3s on for more than a week and yet none of those 7 people who have experienced YLOD ever left their PS3s on for even a full day.

As DaveS1138 said “It looks like you are better off leaving your console on and at a stable temperature than keep cycling it on and off and on and off with the heating, cooling, heating, cooling that goes along with that.” This is what I was expecting to see too; but this is still a small sample size and at a minimum it looks like it is relatively safe to leave the consoles on for extended periods of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What poll?
I've left my 80GB fat on for 26 hours, 2 hours of playing then 24 hours of B-Spec enduro.
Everything went successfully :D

Console: PS3 80GB FAT
Longest time running: 6 hours
Result: PS3 hasn't failed, no YLOD. But it won't update to 3.60 no matter what I do. So now, I'm stuck on 3.56 and can't sign into PSN.

I have an original 60gb fat PS3. I've left it on about a week at a time with no issues, but I always make sure the room isn't too hot. Standing the unit up seems to keep it cooler, too.

Probably 41 hours for my fatty 80gb, but I usually change to the live timing view during long B-Spec races, so it's not rendering so many pixels.

I've got a 40GB Fatty. Had it since they were first made available. I've left it on for about 12 hours doing B-Spec grinding all day, quite frankly I'm scared to leave it on any longer. It's probably my imagination, but it seems to be making more clunking noises than ever now.

The longest I left my slim 120GB PS3 on was for more than 24 hours when I was doing the 24H race on B-Spec last month. It worked fine then and it works fine now.

bought my Fatty from Amazon in 2008, never had a problem with it EVER!

i got GT5 on release date, and it literally never turned off for more than a TOTAL of 3hours during that period till mid January when i hit lvl40 bspec.

Only reason it was turned off was because i had a power outage.

But since buying my ps3, only games i ever played was
Fifa 08/09/10/11
COD MW / MW2
GT5

my ps3 is on the 3rd level in one of these, so it breathes pretty well.
(mine is stacked 1 column 4rows)
Wire%20Storage%20Cube.jpg

I've had a 40Gb Fatty since Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, I've left it on for a few days, though not continuously running GT5. Did some endurance, played some Netflix, did some endurance, played some netflix, more endurance then off. Still works fine, never got hot enough for the fan to come on while I was around it. It's got a shiny new Seagate 500Gb 7200RPM harddrive in it too. Still works fine.

I have had my 60GB Fatty PS3 since 2007, the laser broke after one year of use :grumpy:. I haven't had YLOD probably because I changed the thermal paste to AC5. Longest I left it on was about 8 hours in a room 34 degrees C.

Robin.

Left on for about a week - the lens on the optical drive died on me. Cost me $100 to replace it via a 3rd party.

Didn't submit a vote as no option exists for failures other than YLOD.

I cant turn off my PS3 because of corrupt HDD. If I turn it off I have to run the disk repair or even format and reinstall. So I never turn mine off unless a power cut happens. So... Its been on since the problem happened in November...

SLIM PS3 - 250GB 1y3m old.

I have an Fat 60GB upgraded to 500GB and I've left mine on for 24 Hours at a time with no problem. Now since I bought it used I don't know if it YLOD'd and was repaired or what. I never really had a console Fail on me, except for My original XBOX.

I've got a launch day 20GB that's been on the grind 24/7 for the last few weeks. Never had a problem with it since I bought it. Also have a slim that doesn't see near as much action, mostly just movies, no problems there either.

2 weeks of straight b-spec mode with that auto b-spec grinder. But im done with GT5 now. I'll probably just keep my ps3 on with grinder until i can find someone to buy it :P

Mine was going for about 2 weeks and a half. I never bothered to turn it off. The only reason I even turn off my PS3 now is to restart it :)

PS3 Slim 320GB

Most I've left it up for is sixteen hours. Quite frankly, I don't want to do much more then that, which is why I'm waiting for the endurance saves.

I don't understand everyone's fear of leaving the thing on. People leave PCs on all the time with no issues. I go days at a time with no issue.

I don't understand everyone's fear of leaving the thing on. People leave PCs on all the time with no issues. I go days at a time with no issue.

Because PC's have much more room to breathe inside the case itself whereas with consoles everything is very tightly packed into a small space. Also modern PC components don't run anywhere near as hot as the 8 core monsters inside consoles. An equivent PC with similar graphics would also probably be running with watercooling and with the PS3 everything has to be cooled with just one fan including the PSU.

Robin.

12 hours straight, It was the first day I got the game, and I played A-Spec for 12 hours straight, it's been going strong since, I've averaged out at about 5-7 hours a day in a work week.

Console: PS3 80GB FAT
Longest time running: 6 hours
Result: PS3 hasn't failed, no YLOD. But it won't update to 3.60 no matter what I do. So now, I'm stuck on 3.56 and can't sign into PSN.

try downloading the firmware on a computer, put it on a flashdrive and go to system update and select the other option (not internet) lol

my fatty ps3, original launch serial running strong now for almost 5 years now (in august :D) but knock on wood i've left it on at one time for 30 hours once, doing b spec mostly, but i had a fan in front of it to force cool air around it, but my friends just died (same fatty launch model) so i've been kinda worried about mine now b/c its just as old :nervous::nervous:

Because PC's have much more room to breathe inside the case itself whereas with consoles everything is very tightly packed into a small space. Also modern PC components don't run anywhere near as hot as the 8 core monsters inside consoles. An equivent PC with similar graphics would also probably be running with watercooling and with the PS3 everything has to be cooled with just one fan including the PSU.

Robin.
Interesting...

Thanks for the clarification!

I've left my fat PS3 on for most of the time I've owned it (2 years) running Folding@Home. If that can't kill it, I don't see how some grinding in GT5 ever would. Don't leave it in sunlight, or a hot room, and clean out the dust in the fans every so often (a vacuum works great) and it'll be fine.

Back