Poll/Petition: PD please add an "online driving physics" option in practice mode

  • Thread starter Thread starter stormbringer
  • 49 comments
  • 3,304 views

Online physics option in offline practice mode


  • Total voters
    87
Offline mode is not seeing fuel load. Just add 150 or so kg ballast to act as full tank.

Pampsu,
Are you hereby saying that this is the only difference in on/off-line mode, and the "150 or so kg ballast" will cure the problem?

J.
 
Pampsu,
Are you hereby saying that this is the only difference in on/off-line mode, and the "150 or so kg ballast" will cure the problem?

J.

This would be interesting to follow. If that is TRUE in some way, that it would be highly interesting to get an EXACT figure about the ballst to be added. Though I doubt that a full tank will carry additional 150kg, since most of the cars in the game should have tanks like 60-80 litres, which means approximately plus load of 45-60kg. Any ideas always welcome :)
 
If you shut tyre and fuel off and set the track edge to low instead of real there is no difference. I have ran consistent times at Nurburgring in different cars with different tyres.
 
If you shut tyre and fuel off and set the track edge to low instead of real there is no difference. I have ran consistent times at Nurburgring in different cars with different tyres.


I disagree. I've tested this theory with almost every race car in my garage on the Nurburgring. While it does provide a little more grip online when you turn tire and fuel off, it's still not the same as offline.

I also don't care either way. Just want the physics to be the same for both.
 
Pampsu,
Are you hereby saying that this is the only difference in on/off-line mode, and the "150 or so kg ballast" will cure the problem?

J.

Exactly, and it's big bonus to test settings with different fuel loads.
I calculate it so that 1 kg = 1 litre. This isn't official but it's working for me.
 
The latency needs to be taken in the calculation too ;)

raVer
 
There is no difference between online and offline physics if the lounge host set his lounge to "very high" in his lounge quality setting. The default settings is medium, and yes it behaves halfway between offline single player and skid recovery, kinda like in splitscreen, when set at it.
 
I would much rather have an offline physics option in online lobbies.

This.

Online physics are far from the real deal. Why anyone would want online physics offline... well I don't know. They must like sliding instead of rolling or flipping.

Edit: for those who don't know.

Online, there is a mystery force that keeps you glued to the ground. Instead of riding on two wheels through a sharp high speed turn, you slide. Instead of catching 50 feet of air for a good 500 feet, you hit a height threshold at maybe 15 feet, and you go flying downwards at the same force you were flying upwards.

Examples:
I have a Pikes Peak Quattro set up for massive rollovers and flips, but it only works offline, due to this mysterious "force". Instead of riding two wheels until I flip 20 times, I just sliiiide. Very disappointing.
I made a custom jump track. The jump is right at the end of a long straight. Offline, I can catch like 200 feet of air, just flying. Online, it's a joke. 15 feet of air, and then back to the ground.

So, it has nothing to do with tire wear, fuel consumption, or driver weight, fuel weight or anything like that. There's something that seems to be the opposite of skid recovery force, maybe flip protection force and jump height reduction force.
 
Last edited:
IMO the only difference I notice is that the tyres wear, the fuel depletes and the mechanical damage. Turn all that off and it would be the same as driving offline in practise. I believe one of my friends (Kris, Southern Sliderz) tweeted Kaz on this problem. Kaz himself had said that the only difference between the 2 is the tyre wear and fuel use.
 
IMO the only difference I notice is that the tyres wear, the fuel depletes and the mechanical damage. Turn all that off and it would be the same as driving offline in practise. I believe one of my friends (Kris, Southern Sliderz) tweeted Kaz on this problem. Kaz himself had said that the only difference between the 2 is the tyre wear and fuel use.

Explain my findings then...
 
Explain my findings then...

Uhh, maybe you were actually subconsciously expecting the physics to be different so when you did play online and find they were the same, your subconscious wasnt expecting it and therefore made you think they were different.
 
Nismo34
Uhh, maybe you were actually subconsciously expecting the physics to be different so when you did play online and find they were the same, your subconscious wasnt expecting it and therefore made you think they were different.

Thats because they are different :P
 
There is no difference between online and offline physics if the lounge host set his lounge to "very high" in his lounge quality setting. The default settings is medium, and yes it behaves halfway between offline single player and skid recovery, kinda like in splitscreen, when set at it.

I have to agree here, it's all about sampling rate and perceived handling differences as a result. Think about having to graph a curved line (large scale) and using 1000 coordinates versus graphing the same line with 200. My Lounge with very high settings functions nearly identical to offline practice mode.
 
I voted yes on the poll but I would rather just have the same physics throughout the game. I run a racing league and when I practice offline I find I am at least 2-3 seconds faster than online. It has happened consistently for 5 straight weeks.
 
I have to agree here, it's all about sampling rate and perceived handling differences as a result. Think about having to graph a curved line (large scale) and using 1000 coordinates versus graphing the same line with 200. My Lounge with very high settings functions nearly identical to offline practice mode.

I am going to have to try this. This sounds like a good idea but does it increase lag at all?
 
I am going to have to try this. This sounds like a good idea but does it increase lag at all?

Not if you have a good connection and the network isn't slammed. I usually keep mine set on "Very High" during the week and then turn it down to Medium or whatever during the weekend when network traffic picks up.
 
I have to agree here, it's all about sampling rate and perceived handling differences as a result. Think about having to graph a curved line (large scale) and using 1000 coordinates versus graphing the same line with 200. My Lounge with very high settings functions nearly identical to offline practice mode.

Nope. Tried it last night. Exactly the same as any other setting. (Physics)

Jumps/flips still impossible online.

BUT, I do have to say, Very High setting is extremely smooth online, I wish more people used it. Everyone complains about lag, when they are the ones who cause it by setting the race quality too low. Anything below 4 stars is unplayable IMO.
 
I always always set up a private lobby when I test my cars :)

I do this because I know there is a difference. Why when you know that there is would you bother with practice mode anymore anyway?


Fyi I think the physics are exactly the same. However, practice and a-spec are perfect conditions 100% of the time. I recently practiced quite a lot for an online race series that I host, and I noticed that as the session went on my times were getting better. Fresh tyres, worn tyres, fuel load, blah blah, I made sure they were all constant when I was going for my fast lap. I seriously came to the conclusion that as the session went on the track conditions got faster. Rubber going down, surface heating up etc etc. Ie, the track was coming up to perfect conditions. I tested the theory and low and behold my best online lap was as quick as my best free run lap.

Online is awesome, and the only mode you should be racing in! Sort it :D


Oh yeah and I always use off track grip set to real, and damage to heavy. Fuel and tyre simulation on 👍
 
Yes this is something i expected the game to dhip with considering there was physics options is previous editons
 
Back