Polyphony Digital Has No Plans for a Gran Turismo 7

I play a air combat flight sim that is $15 a month, any new content is no extra charge. Doesn't matter how much the game has been upgraded it's been $15 a month for the 10 years I've played. I like that kind of model.
me

that's expensive

Talking about development ,if during a 3 years program the PD team still continue to work urgently on physics and FFB and producing cars and tracks with the same level of quality, i think they will take the right direction .

I am ready to pay some DLC for this.

Example for Assetto Corsa - DLC Season Pass

37 cars + 1 track (2 configurations) = USD 30.00 = USD 0.80 per car.

Spielberg REDBULL Ring Circuit

Ferrari SF-15T
Ferrari F138
Ferrari 488 GT3
Maserati 250F 6C
Maserati 250F T2 12C
Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4
Lamborghini Aventador SuperVeloce

- Mazda MX-5 2015
- Mazda MX-5 CUP
- Mazda RX-7 Spirit R + tuned version
- Toyota Supra MK IV + time attack and Drift version
- Toyota AE86 Trueno + tuned and Drift version
- Nissan 370Z NISMO
- Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec

• Porsche 911 Carrera S
  • Porsche 918 Spyder
  • Porsche 917/30 Spyder
  • Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0
  • Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • Porsche 718 Cayman S
  • Porsche 935/78 “Moby Dick”

• Porsche 911 GT3 RS
  • Porsche 718 Spyder RS
  • Porsche Cayman GT4
  • Porsche 718 Boxster S manual transmition
  • Porsche 718 Boxster S PDK
  • Porsche 919 Hybride (2015)
  • Porsche 911 GT1
  • Porsche 962c long tail
  • Porsche 962c short tail

• Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 2017
  • Porsche 911 GT3 R 2015
  • Porsche 919 Hybrid 2016
  • Porsche 908 LH
  • Porsche 917 K
  • Porsche 911 R

I mean, why should we hold it against them? They've done it in the past, and for them to start working on "GT7" only 6 months after GT6 release, there would obviously have to be months of planning before they actually get started.

Even with that said, it is probably likely that this game will last a while, as the DLC alone is going to span over a very long period of time, if we consider the fact that it took 4 years for us to get 170+-cars. What I'm wondering about, is if they're truly trying to reach 500, are we to expect 170 more cars in 4 more years? 330 in 12 years? I'm wondering if they're going to opt into finally outsourcing.

I doubt they'll opt for outsourcing. It's their pride that's in place. Brands that make their cars or certain components by hand, usually do it for the pride "we do it differently". Sure it might be more expensive and take more time, but it's their thing.

They could have a new method of modeling cars that takes less time, or more employes, or both. Who knows.

Since they will most likely just give us one gt in this gen, there's plenty of time to plan and start their new game after the results show for gts.

To be fair, GT6 was confirmed before GT5's launch. It wasn't officially revealed until the May 2013 event at Silverstone, but there you have it.

But the times changed since then. How long? 8 years? What competition did GT have on ps3? Did the sales for gt4 go down in comparison to previous games (like they did for gt6)? At the time, who was asking for change? How many people out of millions wanted a new style of Gran Turismo? At the time, GT was always the safe bet, keep it "GT" and you are good to go. Without the standard cars and bad sounds, the game (gt5 and gt6) would be almost perfect.
Many factors made them change now. For the better or the worst? We'll see.

Could PD opt out of PS+ online play subscription and regulate their own online services? (Although I'm not sure if they have the servers for that yet) I'm sure PD could organize their game similar to iRacing. Or even how DC Universe is. Only thing is both of those games are PC based games while Gran Turismo is a console based game. I mean I'm pretty sure the life expectancy of the PS4 is sure to be a bit longer than the PS3s.. but I just can't help but think that a service based console game might be a bit touchy due to it having a lifespan as opposed to PC gaming. Unless GTSport just ports over every system.

I doubt they'll opt for outsourcing. It's their pride that's in place. Brands that make their cars or certain components by hand, usually do it for the pride "we do it differently". Sure it might be more expensive and take more time, but it's their thing.
If you don't think they will, than what is your take on the fact that we've only received 170 cars on four years. If they continue down the same path than we can expect the 500 car target in 8 years.

They could have a new method of modeling cars that takes less time, or more employes, or both. Who knows.
But they don't, because we would have more than 170 cars if that was the case. They also don't automatically get more people just because game development is done. The modelers are the modelers. If they hire more, sure, but the only logical conclusion if we expect them in a reasonable amount of time is outsourcing.

But the times changed since then. How long? 8 years?
Sure, but they did it again with GT6 and "gt7."

I foresee in the near future sequel games not being created anymore. Studios will release the first one, then subsequently update it and/or release additional content to keep it fresh. They could do something similar with GT Sport.

That's not near future, that's now. Look at how long GTA 5 has been around, and there are still regular updates and new content. I doubt Rockstar is even thinking about GTA 6 yet. I think (perhaps partly due to the success of games like GTA 5) more and more studios are moving away from constant new game releases where work begins on the next game before the current one is even released (with Turn 10 being a notable exception), instead prolonging their existing games by cranking out lots of DLC. Personally I'm still not a fan of DLC and would rather just get a game free of microtransactions that's actually complete, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Anyway, since PD has always operated on a slow cycle, moving to a long-term DLC-based model like GTA seems like it would be a natural fit. If they do this, the lifespan of GT Sport could be five or more years with constant new DLC, so of course they wouldn't be planning the next game before this one is even released. To me this announcement is more of a "stop asking us this" than anything else. Kaz never said that GTS will be the last Gran Turismo, only that the next one isn't currently planned, and I don't see any red flags for the possibility of future GT games when I read that.

Still, I'd love to try GTS, but its apparent move away from single player career mode means that I'm no longer anxious to buy a PS4 to do so.

I'm sorry, but I see the source of this article, and every article reporting on it as a joke for a few reasons...

1. GT Sport isn't even out yet. Making a statement about a "GT7" at this point would be PD shooting themselves in the foot. It would indicate that long term/full dedication to GT Sport may not be a thing if they're announcing another GT already, make people once and for all consider it a prologue, and encourage more people to wait for the next "full fledged Gran Turismo" while giving Sport a pass & biding their time with alternative sims.

2. GT Sport is starting over with entirely new assets, and starting over with entirely new models and "future proofing" vehicles (and tracks?) in GT definitely comes at a cost. I believe Sport is playing both reason and excuse for lack in car content. It's easier for them to do B.O.P. for the smaller roster of vehicles. Sport mode is more than a gimmick, yes, but it isn't necessary to "take away" features from GT to include it, just as it wasn't necessary for them to do so for GT Academy. And it's a good way to keep players compelled and playing while more content is created and added.

Also, originally Kaz said "Standards" (previously PS2 Models), weren't going anywhere. People complained about consistency of quality and Kaz/PD listened.

TL/DR: It would be foolish to diminish possible revenues and ROI by haphazardly making your current project seem in anyway irrelevant or obsolete by announcing plans for the project that will follow it prematurely.

Full focus on GT Sport should be seen as a plus for anyone planning to purchase it, and should also be the main takeaway from the above sourced article.

That's not near future, that's now.
Not necessarily. That's assuming Rockstar had no plans to release another GTA but would indeed just update forever, which the won't.
I doubt Rockstar is even thinking about GTA 6 yet.
Oh they were thinking about it before 5 even released, I guarantee it.
Personally I'm still not a fan of DLC and would rather just get a game free of microtransactions that's actually complete, but I guess I'm in the minority.
DLC doesn't make a game incomplete though.

I hope PD get to use two different franchises like forza horizons. GT Sport for competitive person. Who like to be to be professional drivers in Motorsport. GT7 is like rich people who like to collecting car and driving around. Who don't want to be get trash online. The only bad thing if GT Sport is success like other GT game. They need more staff to make the game. PD will need 2 team handle the franchise. Oh yeah the bike game that PD created. I hope see it come back on PS4.

GTS is the new GT. Not sure why some people believed a proper GT, or "GT7" would come shortly after. If it takes PD this long to make a game like this, making a real GT like the good old days at the same time would take forever.

Now. The real question is if PD is willing to bring this game to the level of older GT's and the current competition in terms of content. PD is not very good with DLC, not only taking too long between releases, but hardly even coming with quality content. Yamauchi himself said he wanted to release "complete" games and not focus on DLC back in the GT5-GT6 days.

And I agree with SlipZtrEm so much. Car/Racing games should be service-based. Car games these days look fantastic, so there isn't much need to overhaul graphics on the long term; maybe just some minor tweaks. The rest is just content... lots of it. Adding newer models, tuning parts, events, etc. There are so many infinite ways they can extend the replay value of a racing game for an indefinite amount of time.

Awww... where's the door ;)

But seriously... as always with GT, the closer we get to a release date, the more I get excited. So, there are no old whips in the game and not much said about the VGTs either. So, if I do go racing in 2018, I don't want to without a bonified GTS supported steeringwheel and VR. I really want this to happen.

Last edited:
Nine years that I racing continue with the same name, sticking to their conception and working to be the best in their sector.
Since the beginning PD start from zero almost everytime. A lot of good things were left behind trying to explore new horizons. A big waist of energy and time in my opinion.
I think they have reached the maturity, starting on a very solid base , building a very solid game that will grow through the years.
I will follow this for sure, it can be a great adventure this way too.

Reading the whole article, I now understand what PD wants... And good for them. I wish them the best. However, I stay true to my passion for cars. I love car encyclopedia games and will never get tired of them. I love street cars, looking at them, learning their history, driving them, hearing them, imagining how all those parts move together, comparing them to their other brand equals, seeing their evolution through time. Racing is fun, sure; but not every car guy is competitive or into the world of motorsports.

I don't care what they call it as long as they continue to increase the car and track roster. I mean I can't imagine grand valley or deep forest never appearing again.

What I could do without is the distractions that made it into other GT games like the lunar challenge and red bull challenge, etc.That kind of stuff I can easily do without moving forward.

Last edited:
... so there isn't much need to overhaul graphics on the long term; maybe just some minor tweaks. The rest is just content... lots of it.
Yes... lots of content. But then they (PD and Kaz) may feel obligated to label the next one '7'. Can we not help ourselves?.. hoping for a 'normal'(?), regular, run-in-the-mill GT, without being cast out to neverland?

I see it selling 2 million. In it's entire lifespan. People are not stupid. No one just buys a game because of the name. I don't know anybody who doesn't check up online what a game they are interested in is about.

- it's Gran Turismo
- it's Sony's biggest franchise
- people have been waiting years for a current gen GT game
- it's going to be bundled with every single PS4 ever
- it's Gran Turismo

Yet you think it'll only sell 2 million in its lifespan? Haha, great joke man.

Thought this was obvious, Sport is the new direction, just means I won't be buying any GT game going forward until it has the content I want, right now sport doesn't.

Racing games are perfect though for service games, have 1 big yearly update, call it season 2 or whatever, then smaller content drops throughout the year. If they can get us more traditional SP content I will bite, not as it currently stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the whole article, I now understand what PD wants... And good for them. I wish them the best. However, I stay true to my passion for cars. I love car encyclopedia games and will never get tired of them. I love street cars, looking at them, learning their history, driving them, hearing them, imagining how all those parts move together, comparing them to their other brand equals, seeing their evolution through time. Racing is fun, sure; but not every car guy is competitive or into the world of motorsports.

I'm the same way, in the older games you can pick a model and drive the various generations and see how they evolved. We all have our favorites so it was great to drive them in game. Newer is not always better. I'm hoping that as more cars are added they include older models of the cars as well.

I don't know why people freak out so much. Just use common sense to determine GT's future. If GT7 is not even a though then it stands to reason at least some on normal gt content will find it's way in this game. Car and track dlc will be both paid and free. It is hard for developers pass up paid dlc these day and it is the industry norm now. Poly will go big with it's dlc is my guess. There will be no GT7 because GTS will turn into 7. You think Katz will be happy not having all of his toys and things people love about the gt series. We will get some free cars and some free tracks. We will have some paid dlc and car packs. We will get expansions and with those we will get gt goodies. I see GTS getting the gt goodies over time. If not we do not get some of the classic gt functions during the life of ps4. I just don't see that happening. At some point they moved from gt 7 to a expansion dlc model for gts. If not someone will step in an fill those shoes that gt filled.

Back