Polyphony Digital Has No Plans for a Gran Turismo 7

PD work very similarly to Bethesda games and their Elder Scrolls series.

They take them one at a time, giving as much effort as they can to make that one game work, and occupy you for the next five years. Trust me,if they started pumping out GT games every two years, they'd get called a cash cow (see Forza). PD cares, they want to launch a badass game before they focus on the next one.

- it's Gran Turismo
- it's Sony's biggest franchise
- people have been waiting years for a current gen GT game
- it's going to be bundled with every single PS4 ever
- it's Gran Turismo

Yet you think it'll only sell 2 million in its lifespan? Haha, great joke man.

Admittedly, back in 2013, some people would've had the exact same response as you to the suggestion that GT6 would sell less than half the total of GT5. And yet...

It's a prediction. People are entitled to them. The fun thing is, because GT Sport is so different from any other GT before it, there's really no predicting where it'll land in the franchise sales rankings.

Thought this was obvious, Sport is the new direction

Don't double post; that's what the Edit feature is for. 👍

- it's Gran Turismo
- it's Sony's biggest franchise
- people have been waiting years for a current gen GT game
- it's going to be bundled with every single PS4 ever
- it's Gran Turismo

Yet you think it'll only sell 2 million in its lifespan? Haha, great joke man.
Yes you're right. Give it a month or two and it will be half price just like GT6. They'll pack it with every PS4 sold and claim it's selling the system. It will end up being given away one month as a PSN+ free game. All possible. Let's how many of those come to pass and how many are completely wrong.

GT6 killed this franchise for me. They are making the biggest mistake they could ever make with this. That's from someone who has bought EVERY Gran Turismo title released in the UK.

PD work very similarly to Bethesda games and their Elder Scrolls series.

They take them one at a time, giving as much effort as they can to make that one game work, and occupy you for the next five years. Trust me,if they started pumping out GT games every two years, they'd get called a cash cow (see Forza). PD cares, they want to launch a badass game before they focus on the next one.
This is hilarious.

Yes, I've already stated as much.

That sounds horrible.

I mean, why should we hold it against them? They've done it in the past, and for them to start working on "GT7" only 6 months after GT6 release, there would obviously have to be months of planning before they actually get started.

Even with that said, it is probably likely that this game will last a while, as the DLC alone is going to span over a very long period of time, if we consider the fact that it took 4 years for us to get 170+-cars. What I'm wondering about, is if they're truly trying to reach 500, are we to expect 170 more cars in 4 more years? 330 in 12 years? I'm wondering if they're going to opt into finally outsourcing.

I think GT sport will not reach the 500 cars mark because of PD attention to detail and all done "in house", I think PD will add plus 100 to 150 with dlc's and that is a more realistic number from what PD has shown us the last 10 years.

You say it sounds horrible but I said what I said because I am still in this forum because I love the GT series, I love the old formula of car collecting and modifing cars, I love the stupid cars like the cizeta v16, plymouth ghia and many many others cars and I love the old original tracks like the midfield, azure coast, autumn ring and many others.
Now GTS has nothing of this from what I've seen, no classic tracks and cars, no modification system, and doesn't even have a career mode.
You can call me a old school guy and what I am looking for is Forza, but I simply do not like the handling and physics systems from that game; the car list is to main stream and the track list is the most boring thing I've ever seen.
My problem is that existes many games like GTS in the market and people praise those games for being very good like AC, RRRE, IRacing, Project cars so why is PD going for this direction?

I think GT sport will not reach the 500 cars mark because of PD attention to detail and all done "in house", I think PD will add plus 100 to 150 with dlc's and that is a more realistic number from what PD has shown us the last 10 years.
I honestly don't think they'll reach the 500 mark either, but it'll be interesting to see the outcome of this. Hopefully its not more shallow statements.

You say it sounds horrible but I said what I said because I am still in this forum because I love the GT series, I love the old formula of car collecting and modifing cars, I love the stupid cars like the cizeta v16, plymouth ghia and many many others cars and I love the old original tracks like the midfield, azure coast, autumn ring and many others.
It is horrible. You don't hope for something to get better wishing for it to crash and burn.

Now GTS has nothing of this from what I've seen, no classic tracks and cars, no modification system, and doesn't even have a career mode.
To bad Forza is at the opposite side of the pond, because it has a lot of things you're interested it from the sounds of it.

You can call me a old school guy and what I am looking for is Forza, but I simply do not like the handling and physics systems from that game; the car list is to main stream and the track list is the most boring thing I've ever seen.
Some complain about a slight balance towards oversteer with how the cars drive, but I feel thats down to the horrible tunes that come on some default cars, and they sometimes get exponentially worse once you get start modifying, as that will end up altering the tune on its own. Physics wise I would say that Forza and GT seem to be on par with one another, though. Learn to adjust to a new games input and driving method and you just might like it.

If you say the car list is too mainstream, than it's a bit obvious you haven't given the list a thorough looking over. It's a bit of the opposite, in my opinion, and becoming even less so as it seems those weird everyday cars are returning with Forza 7. They have a much better balance than the GT of the past that you hold dear, in my opinion, and with them reaching 700 cars, all in premium quality, it's damn well barking up the door of pure content that GT6 had with its duplicates

As for track list, that's all dependent on person, do you like more fantasy tracks, or more real world tracks?. However, with an actual lack of tracks from what's shown in GTS, that is where I'd imagine things might get a bit boring, rather than the other way around. Not to say that's what I think it will be, but with Forza 7 having just as much as double that of GTS, more option never hurt.

that's expensive

Wow! If my maths isn't too rusty you've paid $1,800.00 for one game.

$15 a month isn't much when I compare it to one night at a bar, I could easily spend $75 two nights a week. Go to a gentlemens club and that explodes.

I don't think it would work for PD and wouldn't expect to ever see them go that way.

Goodbye GT, 'twas fun collecting and learning about cars, tuning them, racing them in Best Motoring/trackday style.

I'm disappointed. The series will stay great for driving physics and stuff, but I guess if this is true, then it means we're in need of a replacement.

Not sure why all the reactions. Of course there are "No plans for GT7", GTS hasn't even been released yet (and then there was that delay last year). Even SMS waited until the first Project CARS released to announce that PCARS 2 was coming (even though they didn't exactly get a warm reception for it from what I recall).

The way I see it, It simply means there is no work going on for Gran Turismo 7 right now ( I'd hardly call this the end of GT as many of you seem to be readily doing so soon). I get people are upset that the traditional GT style isn't around this time, but its abit early to make such a steep and far reaching assumption before anything has happened yet. Ultimately, I think this game's success or failure is going to determine whether GT7 goes back to the traditional style or whether this new direction is permanent, or possibly even a interesting blend of the two that'll really cater to everyone.

Last edited:
I foresee in the near future sequel games not being created anymore. Studios will release the first one, then subsequently update it and/or release additional content to keep it fresh. They could do something similar with GT Sport.
Exactly

I'm pretty confident that they're not going to announce a proper GT7 until GT Sport has been out for a while (probably next year's E3), so they don't end up in a situation where people pass up Sport and wait for GT7.

I doubt Sony would shelf one of their flagship franchises.

At this point it's just pure meaningless sales-talk IMO, of course they say there are no plans for GT7 because they want to sell GT:S as much as possible and have all the media and possible buyers focused on that one. GT:S is very different from what the GT series have been, I can perfectly understand people who enjoy a fully fledged career more, a decent amount of tracks, a bunch of classic cars not being happy about it, that is yours truly included. But it is what it is, you can either accept it and give it a try, or abandon it and move on to something similar. There are plenty of games out there from the most arcade towards the most sim and everything in between.

In a way I already left GT for Forza in 2015 when Turn 10 was touting FM6 with a lot of shiny video trailers while I was sitting there with my aging PS3 (with GT5 & GT6 on it) and no news whatsoever from PD. So I bought an XBox One and moved on, never really looked back to GT6 to be honest.

Fast forward to today I have a PS4 Pro as well now though, bought that one earlier this year for the PS exclusive titles like Horizon Zero Dawn, the Uncharted and Last of Us remastered series and whatever the future might bring. My entire home cinema system is even 4K HDR ready, GT:S is within my grasp, money isn't even an issue (time most definitely is) but I am just not nearly as interested in it as I was back in the days with GT5 or GT6. I preordered PCARS 2 as that will be my main game from september on but I'll keep an eye out on how GT:S evolves. There are still some things of old which I liked that are partly present in GT:S as well, like the manufacturer background info, the way PD does fictional tracks like noone else does and even the very simple things like the click sounds in the menus. :) But there is a lot in GT:S which I don't like either: no classic cars, barely any real world tracks, fictional Vision GT cars, fictional spec group B cars and for someone who only races in cockpit view that awkward positioning of the hands on the wheel with the wrists pointing unnaturally deep to the inside really turns me off as well. Photo mode seems to have gotten a lot of attention as well in this title but that's something that don't interest me at all (in any game). If I want pretty pictures of pretty cars I'll just Google them, easy as that. Sound on the other hand seems improved a lot over GT6 but it's still not near the likes of AC or PCARS.

The game also really needs to have a proper singleplayer campaign to begin with, if PD plans to patch that in via DLC or expansion pack content in the future then they have my interest. If not... well I will follow how everything evolves after release and then decide what to do. But I'm not jumping aboard on promises, rumors, plans or anything like that. Only facts for this title and facts for me are post-release reviews and available DLC (not planned DLC since we all know how long we had to wait for B-spec or heck even the track creator in GT6).

Either way I still fail to understand the direction PD is heading with this one. So they drop their entire singleplayer fanbase to jump onto this eSports bandwagon. Then they start adding the scapes mode to attract some lost singleplayers again I think? And the Vision GT program... IMO it doesn't even have a place in eSports to begin with, fictional futuristic cars screams singleplayer all over it, eSports should focus on the race cars of the modern days like GT, touring and prototypes. If I would see a live broadcast of Vision GT 2025+ cars racing in nerfed/fabricated/BOP'ed/fictional/whatever specs just so they match with 2016-ish LMP1 cars and then have that mixed bag of nothing race around the Nordschleife I would have a good laugh. You might as well call Need for Speed 2015 a more realistic game since they do focus on street cars racing on streets, no matter how arcade that game is, it's a game that still makes sense. GT:S for me honestly makes no sense. I really try to understand how FIA license, lack of tracks, Vision GT, eSports, no singleplayer, scapes modes, manucaturer history, no classic cars, no singleplayer all fits together in the same game because I simply do not understand these design decisions at all.

Still, like I said, I will keep an eye on how it all evolves and if parts of the game turn out to be fun and it gets good reviews and people play it enthousiastic on streams then I might get it as well.

Last edited:
With them starting the vehicle & track roster from scratch, it makes sense to make something else (E-Sport) a focus in the meantime. If this GT dropped without Sport mode, it would've been crucified if they titled it "GT7". The next GT, whether it's called GTS 2, GT7, or GT8 (since Kaz has said Sport is essentially '7,), will have all of the content from the lifespan of GTS, & feel more like a traditional GT on launch day.

Many of you are likely just afraid of change. But change is good. It can be progressive. Embrace it for what it does right & try not to be so overly critical. It has the potential to be a great game, and supporting it will likely bring an even better sequel. But let's get our freaking hands on the thing before casting judgment & casting it out... Shall we?

It does sound horrible, but I think sales may influence the price of DLC to some degree.

Sales are more likely to influence after-release support, not prices. If the game sells below expectations, DLCs will be scaled back and/or cut short. Costs of DLC development don't decrease just cause sales are poor so the "easier way out" is scaling back rather than lowering prices.

As I've said a few times before, I too do believe that the classic GT format hasn't just been shelved forever. I personally feel that the classic "CarPG" style format we know and love will return at some point down the line, be it soon, or many years from now. As for what form it may take, well it could appear as a typical, full numbered GT title, or possibly even as part of an extensive DLC program, either one really.

I just don't fully believe that Kaz and PD themselves, would just leave their proven formula behind for good, considering the success (and memories really) it's brought over 20 years. But at the end of the day, I don't think there is any point in getting to worked up about at the moment, since as many have said above me, GTS hasn't even come out yet, and as mentioned time and time again, we are fully aware by now that Kaz is not renown for keeping to his word :lol:.

With that all said though, I for one do welcome the change in "era", as personally it's an exciting time and change for the GT series. I'm very much interested to see where it will take things in the future, being such a big change for the franchise. And whilst the numbers have dropped, namely with concerns to the car and track count etc, there's evidence of improvement in other sectors, whether it's the addition of brand new features like the livery editor, or the very clear improvement in sounds.

Basically, I see GTS in similar vein to how GT3 was, in the sense that for the drop in quantity, we've got a big change in quality, though admittedly the format has changed too. At the end of the day, I'm just upholding a positive, but grounded view on the new direction change with GTS, as to be honest I'm very much impressed so far, and excited on a level I haven't been for some years with a GT; with GT5 being the last time I was similarly excited really.

The next GT, whether it's called GTS 2, GT7, or GT8 (since Kaz has said Sport is essentially '7,), will have all of the content from the lifespan of GTS, & feel more like a traditional GT on launch day.

We don't know what the GT game after this will have or be like. It will depend on how well GTS is received and sells.

Many of you are likely just afraid of change. But change is good. It can be progressive. Embrace it for what it does right & try not to be so overly critical. It has the potential to be a great game, and supporting it will likely bring an even better sequel. But let's get our freaking hands on the thing before casting judgment & casting it out... Shall we?

The few things I think GT Sport does right, like the livery editor, really isn't enough incentive for me to go out and spend $299 on a PS4 just to play it.

At the end of the day, GT Sport doesn't have what I want most from a GT game, which is a huge career mode, so why should I support it? If I were to buy it, it would send across the message that I'm okay with future GT games having minimal single player content, which I'm not.

Idk. But I'm kinda digging the service ideal. Cause that ultimately means that there will be full support for an extended period of time. Hopefully it'll give them time to REALLY make this game pop.
It's not like it's a terrible idea. Wouldn't mind if they decided to have FM7 be the last one and just gave us a free car and a car pack every month and a expansion pack (track plus cars) every few months with regular fixes and updates.

It's not like it's a terrible idea. Wouldn't mind if they decided to have FM7 be the last one and just gave us a free car and a car pack every month and a expansion pack (track plus cars) every few months with regular fixes and updates.

And if FM7 was just an expansion for FM6 we would still have Toyota road cars as well. ;)

We don't know what the GT game after this will have or be like. It will depend on how well GTS is received and sells.

Not sure I get where you're coming from. I can't see them throwing assets away if they're making them future proof (of higher quality in excess of what's currently necessary or even capable of the PS4 Pro to handle) for the next iteration. Sure, some less favorable tracks may get cut. But it's very likely that most assets will carry over.

The few things I think GT Sport does right, like the livery editor, really isn't enough incentive for me to go out and spend $299 on a PS4 just to play it.

Understandable. But there's so many other reasons that make owning a PS4/Pro worthwhile. To each their own if you feel otherwise...

At the end of the day, GT Sport doesn't have what I want most from a GT game, which is a huge career mode, so why should I support it? If I were to buy it, it would send across the message that I'm okay with future GT games having minimal single player content, which I'm not.

Taking a wallet stance against a series you're fond of, can have adverse effects. Looking at the current direction of Mass Effect Andromeda, or DriveClub can show what can happen if a game doesn't hit set numbers. Not saying that's likely to happen with PD. But just saying there are other ways of getting your message across while still being supportive. Abandonment is rarely an effective solution. They actually do listen to their fanbase. The livery editor and improved sounds are proof of that. But yeah, you gotta do what feels right for you man. Though, I have gotten so much value out of my PS4, it's ridiculous. Between PS+, sales, and the exclusives for the platform... My backlog folder is busting at the seams currently. I'm actually just waiting for the Pro &/or PSVR to go on sale.

I see it selling 2 million. In it's entire lifespan. People are not stupid. No one just buys a game because of the name. I don't know anybody who doesn't check up online what a game they are interested in is about.

You're telling me a first party heavy weight (the first one on the system) will sell less than Persona 5 (a niche JPRG)?

I mean c'mon, no one can predict sales but it's gonna take a miracle for GTSport to bomb that hard. No way it does less than 6-7 million LTD . I'll Avatar bet anyone that.

Not even gonna mention Prologue selling well as well.

Abandonment is rarely an effective solution.

It's the most effective solution. Don't buy things that you don't like. That way companies can get a clear message; poor sales means a game that people don't like.

Also, you get the bonus of not wasting money on things that you don't like, although for most people that would be a given.

You're telling me a first party heavy weight (the first one on the system) will sell less than Persona 5 (a niche JPRG)?

I mean c'mon, no one can predict sales but it's gonna take a miracle for GTSport to bomb that hard. No way it does less than 6-7 million LTD . I'll Avatar bet anyone that.

Not even gonna mention Prologue selling well as well.

It's entirely possible. How many did GT6 sell again? On a system with an ENORMOUS user base, with the game very quickly discounted after launch?

Prologue, on the other hand, was actually a very good game coming near the start of a console cycle on the back of arguably Polyphony's best game and with several major free content updates. It was also online racing in a time when that was only starting to become a thing, and was probably many people's first exposure to playing a "simulator" online.

P.S. You may want to check how you use the phrase "Life To Date". GTS hasn't even released yet, so it's LTD sales are zero. I assume you meant lifetime sales.

@Imari GT6 sold very well for a game that got released when a new generation was upon us (the PS3 era was way too long). GT6 didn't sell 2 million either.

Not sure on what grounds are you basing your entirely possible comment on? What big game doesn't sell 2 million now?

Good call on the LTD comment, I like typing it for some reason :lol:

Taking a wallet stance against a series you're fond of, can have adverse effects. Looking at the current direction of Mass Effect Andromeda, or DriveClub can show what can happen if a game doesn't hit set numbers. Not saying that's likely to happen with PD. But just saying there are other ways of getting your message across while still being supportive. Abandonment is rarely an effective solution. They actually do listen to their fanbase. The livery editor and improved sounds are proof of that. But yeah, you gotta do what feels right for you man. Though, I have gotten so much value out of my PS4, it's ridiculous. Between PS+, sales, and the exclusives for the platform... My backlog folder is busting at the seams currently. I'm actually just waiting for the Pro &/or PSVR to go on sale.
Ironic isn't it that the GT series is blown up and completely rebuilt from the ground up following the worst selling game of the series, by far. Guess it's just a coincidence. Not buying a game is absolutely the best thing you can do if you don't agree with the direction a franchise is taking and want to send a message.
With them starting the vehicle & track roster from scratch, it makes sense to make something else (E-Sport) a focus in the meantime. If this GT dropped without Sport mode, it would've been crucified if they titled it "GT7". The next GT, whether it's called GTS 2, GT7, or GT8 (since Kaz has said Sport is essentially '7,), will have all of the content from the lifespan of GTS, & feel more like a traditional GT on launch day.

Why do we have to buy the game (get our hands on it) before casting judgment? People buy or don't buy games all the time, simply based on what they think a game will be or what it will have or won't have. I don't see GTS or any game being so special in this regard that we should support it if we don't like it, in the hopes the sequel will be better.

Not sure on what grounds are you basing your entirely possible comment on? What big game doesn't sell 2 million now?

We don't know, because companies tend not to brag about those sort of things. Remember how long it was until we got even mildly solid numbers on GT6 sales?

As far as sub-2 million sales, that'd be most racing games, actually. Most of the Forza games are there or slightly above. pCARS only made 2 million near the end of last year. The Codies F1 games don't do great, and I'd be surprised if Dirt Rally or Dirt 4 cracked 2 million. Assetto Corsa isn't close. There hasn't been another racing franchise in years that has publically admitted to cracking even 3 million let alone 5, outside of stuff like Mario Kart.

Racing games are not "big" games now, even if they have major studio support behind them. It's just not a particularly popular genre, especially with shooters and action games offering more freedom, better story telling and greater online opportunities than ever before. GTS could be the best racing game the world has ever seen, and in this climate I would still say it's entirely possible it doesn't crack 2 million.

Racing games are not the thing that they were on the PS1 and PS2.

Back