Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 653 comments
polyphony.JPG

As a second key element of the partnership, FIA & PDI plan to launch an official FIA Online Championship in 2015 with the intention of offering the large number of Gran Turismo players and motor sport fans the opportunity to engage with real motor sport.

99/10 would participate in.

What other development studio could make use of a partnership with the FIA?

All of them.

Apart from the obvious marketing boost of having FIA emblazoned in big letters on the cover of your game, there's probably plenty of stuff any dev could do to use such a collaboration. But without knowing exactly what parts of a race weekend the FIA has jurisdiction over, it's hard to say specifically what those things might be.

Gran Turismo does have Academy, but apart from the FIA giving it their blessing, it's hard to see what they'd do about it. It really depends whether the FIA sees it as an opportunity to get more drivers into racing, or whether it's just a marketing thing. Marketing can be done through any game.

So, this happened. Well, I have no idea what it means; I've been reading through the comments to give me an idea and I still don't know what to expect. I can only guess what Polyphony will do with the FIA, it could simply be implementing more content involved with the FIA, creating a new Gran Turismo motorsport, or something else that is crazy.

In the end, I'm excited about this, but I won't try to hype myself too much (time feels like it goes by too slowly whenever I do that). Now, it's back to that game I've played back when GT5, GT5 Spec 2.0, FM4, & GT6 were annouced; wait at least a few months to see the outcome and boy do I hate playing this game. :lol:

Another right step to mimesis.
Let me play off of your meme word. :D

This is the mimesis I want to see forming in GT6 and 7. Maybe Prologue too.

PD is getting serious again, and GT6 begins to transform. Their prestige is on the line, and they pick up a big pair of gauntlets.

Bot A.I. gets a tune up. Physics gets a tweak, maybe a huge tweak. Tire modeling improves further, and tire wear becomes more realistic. Tuning matters much more. Sounds gradually improve. Damage modeling gets a boost, with more realistic consequences.

Arcade Mode gets a big overhaul, and more cars on track are just the start. New A-Spec events appear featuring all the tracks, and are more racing league oriented. New cars and tracks are offered, and the new tracks are integrated in those A-Spec events. More tracks feature time of day and weather. Longer events are included, with real endurance events. Pit stops now matter, and tire and fuel strategy plays a more integral role. Along with enduros, B-Spec returns. Online structure gets a big overhaul, with notes about features yet to be implemented.

The Event Maker, Race Mod and the Livery Editor come to the party. At some point, so does Course Maker II. Not as ambitious as we'd hoped on PS3, it's still a lovely improvement. The Livery Editor will allow you to make decals as well as full racing "skins" which can be shared or sold for game credits. Race Mod will allow you to make any kind of race car you want, including league specific cars, made to the specs of the league. The Event Maker is quite ambitious, allowing you to create a typical GT style series allowing you to race for cash prizes and cars, or a more simulation approach, where you race a series or a "season" as long as you care to make it, based solely on points. Street racing, tuner cars, league specific racing, selected tracks, selected cars from your garage if you want, even choosing the bots, it's all up to you.

Now comes the big Online Toolkit everyone has been waiting for. Club and League Builder allows anyone to create and manage a group, club, or full blown racing league, with defined rules, specs and allowed cars, which can be updated freely. Members can share specifically with other members items like cars, tunes, liveries, decals for cars, racing league number plates, Course Maker tracks and other items. The Event Maker allows the club and league masters to make anything from single events, track days, racing series and championships, all the way to full blown racing seasons.

A new section appears in the main menu: FIA GT. This is league based simulation racing. It begins in a small but substantial way with a number of racing leagues on offer. Join a league, race through a season on selected tracks following a calendar. You race for points and glory, not cars (and possibly not cash prizes, though there could be an economy). Make a run to the championship to reign in that league, then select another, as many times as you want. Online modes work with the Club and League Tools to form racing groups and memberships. PD and FIA hosted events feature unique prizes, along with a GT Academy-like chance to join a real world racing team.

Aaand... hopefully, most of this shows up in GT6. If not, I'll eagerly be awaiting the arrival of GT7/Prologue. :bowdown:

I read that there will be 4 FIA tracks and that there will be an online competition where players will have a chance to race on FIA tracks in the real world eventually. Which sounds like the next GT Academy.

The FIA’s role as the governing body of motor sport worldwide, and the representative of almost 80 million road and track users from 141 countries on five continents, will help grow the direct relationship between the millions of fans of Gran Turismo and the real-world of motor sport.

To mark the start of this collaboration, Gran Turismo®6 will become the first-ever video game to feature FIA-certified content. Gran Turismo 6 for PlayStation®3, which launched late last year, has been granted an FIA certification for four of the game’s world-famous tracks. The virtual circuits in Gran Turismo have been recreated in intricate detail. The track inspection for each was conducted by FIA officials who visited PDI’s development studio of in Tokyo, where Gran Turismo 6 track models were accurately compared to FIA standards. Other tracks included in Gran Turismo 6 will be subject to inspection in order to obtain certification by the FIA in the near future.

As a second key element of the partnership, FIA & PDI plan to launch an official FIA Online Championship in 2015 with the intention of offering the large number of Gran Turismo players and motor sport fans the opportunity to engage with real motor sport.

Jean Todt, President of the FIA said: “This innovative new partnership will ensure that millions of Gran Turismo and motor sport fans can race on even more detailed tracks at home. The Gran Turismo series has played an important role in helping to attract a new fan base to motor sport. With the input of FIA in the development of the upcoming FIA Online Championship, Gran Turismo 6 will now offer an experience even closer to the real world of motor sport. We are also excited to be working closely with Polyphony Digital and Sony Computer Entertainment in the future to find new ways to continue to make motor sport more accessible to millions of fans that share a passion for racing.”

Kazunori Yamauchi, President of Polyphony Digital Inc and creator of the Gran Turismo franchise, explains: “We are incredibly proud for Gran Turismo 6 to be officially certified by the governing body of world motor sport for in-game content. As we celebrate the 15th anniversary of Gran Turismo, this has to be the biggest accolade the game has received in its history. Our partnership with the FIA is a further step forward in our continued quest to bring the worlds of virtual and reality racing into a full circle.”

Jacques Berger, Head of Safety at the FIA said: “It was not until we completed the tests between our track data and the game’s track data that we fully appreciated the level of work and attention to detail that goes into the development of Gran Turismo 6. It was not just the tracks that have been precisely mapped out, but also the surrounding landscapes such as the run-off areas, grandstands and buildings.”

Last edited:
I see this through a set of very sceptical eyes.

Certified track might provide better quality in the game (i.e. reaching a high standard for tracks that need a lot of work like Monaco and Montegi), but it would also lead to track categorization(there is no point having an FIA certification if what it will do is just categorize tracks as FIA certified vs non FIA certified, meaning standard track and premium tracks).

Reality and Virtual racing branching out is something really interesting and good no matter what, GT Academy have provided people the chance to actual try racing for real, that aspect expanding is not bad at all, I like the concept of something like GT becoming an e-sport, and something like that branching out means more assets meaning better tracks and more cars.

That said, RB partnership provided the X2010, X2011, X2014, XJunior, RB Kart and X2014 fan car, along with Red Bull ring, and come to think is not much stuff for the time they have been selling that partnership. I treat the Ayrton Senna Institute differently though, considering that half that content is already owned by other companies so is pretty hard to make the most out of it and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't either great.

From this I would like to see a couple of things that might add tot he game, better modelled tracks (in order to comply with the new standard that they seem to putting themselves in) and more variety in gameplay (flags were in some GT5 builds, maybe even Pace Cars or damage or other things that add to the experience and compose better racing all around).

I'm not going to inflate expectations with this, this probably means a couple more cars, as of now I just want to see the Track Editor, like the only thing I care about GT until mayor changes get through.

Let me play off of your meme word. :D

This is the mimesis I want to see forming in GT6 and 7. Maybe Prologue too.

PD is getting serious again, and GT6 begins to transform. Their prestige is on the line, and they pick up a big pair of gauntlets.

Bot A.I. gets a tune up. Physics gets a tweak, maybe a huge tweak. Tire modeling improves further, and tire wear becomes more realistic. Tuning matters much more. Sounds gradually improve. Damage modeling gets a boost, with more realistic consequences.

Arcade Mode gets a big overhaul, and more cars on track are just the start. New A-Spec events appear featuring all the tracks, and are more racing league oriented. New cars and tracks are offered, and the new tracks are integrated in those A-Spec events. More tracks feature time of day and weather. Longer events are included, with real endurance events. Pit stops now matter, and tire and fuel strategy plays a more integral role. Along with enduros, B-Spec returns. Online structure gets a big overhaul, with notes about features yet to be implemented.

The Event Maker, Race Mod and the Livery Editor come to the party. At some point, so does Course Maker II. Not as ambitious as we'd hoped on PS3, it's still a lovely improvement. The Livery Editor will allow you to make decals as well as full racing "skins" which can be shared or sold for game credits. Race Mod will allow you to make any kind of race car you want, including league specific cars, made to the specs of the league. The Event Maker is quite ambitious, allowing you to create a typical GT style series allowing you to race for cash prizes and cars, or a more simulation approach, where you race a series or a "season" as long as you care to make it, based solely on points. Street racing, tuner cars, league specific racing, selected tracks, selected cars from your garage if you want, even choosing the bots, it's all up to you.

Now comes the big Online Toolkit everyone has been waiting for. Club and League Builder allows anyone to create and manage a group, club, or full blown racing league, with defined rules, specs and allowed cars, which can be updated freely. Members can share specifically with other members items like cars, tunes, liveries, decals for cars, racing league number plates, Course Maker tracks and other items. The Event Maker allows the club and league masters to make anything from single events, track days, racing series and championships, all the way to full blown racing seasons.

A new section appears in the main menu: FIA GT. This is league based simulation racing. It begins in a small but substantial way with a number of racing leagues on offer. Join a league, race through a season on selected tracks following a calendar. You race for points and glory, not cars (and possibly not cash prizes, though there could be an economy). Make a run to the championship to reign in that league, then select another, as many times as you want. Online modes work with the Club and League Tools to form racing groups and memberships. PD and FIA hosted events feature unique prizes, along with a GT Academy-like chance to join a real world racing team.

Aaand... hopefully, most of this shows up in GT6. If not, I'll eagerly be awaiting the arrival of GT7/Prologue. :bowdown:

and they needed certification from the FIA for all of this to happen and kick themselves into action why? People are getting way carried away with this, as usual. FIA certification doesn't suddenly mean 90% of the game is going to be improved where they've failed over 15 years, you're in dreamland.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Fuji on GT6 is sporting WEC logos. Wonder if that means that Fuji got slightly updated to a 2012 iteration. Maybe it is one of those four?

and they needed certification from the FIA for all of this to happen and kick themselves into action why? People are getting way carried away with this, as usual. FIA certification doesn't suddenly mean 90% of the game is going to be improved where they've failed over 15 years, you're in dreamland.
Failed? I dont consider every GT a failure in the aspects listed. I thought the AI was decent in previous (ps2) GT games. I think GT can get better and know it will. The FIA thing may push their boundaries further out and add to the series. Nothing known on that front, but its not inconceivable that this can become a big partnership.

Monza got updated in the Senna update, is that because of FIA helping out?

Apart from more sand being added, not really so I'm not sure the FIA did much to help there. I suspect since PD already had that sand with the 80's variation they added, they just decided to go ahead and moderately update the one they have. Its still lacking the alternate chicane within the chicane that the current one has.

I wonder if the "certified tracks" have anything to do with the course creater we'll be getting. Once it's launched I'm guessing every real world track you could imagine will be recreated (probably pretty closely to real life if the GPS app is any good) and shared throughout the community.

PD could be trying to keep our interest in their future track releases and stop league racing from becoming too fractionalised by keeping a list of certified tracks for online league racing.

Also they need a reason for you to fork out your hard earned on a DLC track as opposed to using something "close enough" created in game.

We have to wait and see and I am very sceptical but at least there is some positive news comming from the GT front 👍. It could be a partnership the series needs to finally move forwards.

Back