Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI) and FIA to Form Long-term Partnership

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 653 comments
To mark the start of this collaboration, Gran Turismo®6 will become the first-ever video game to feature FIA-certified content. Gran Turismo 6 for PlayStation®3, which launched late last year, has been granted an FIA certification for four of the game’s world-famous tracks. The virtual circuits in Gran Turismo have been recreated in intricate detail. The track inspection for each was conducted by FIA officials who visited PDI’s development studio of in Tokyo, where Gran Turismo 6 track models were accurately compared to FIA standards. Other tracks included in Gran Turismo 6 will be subject to inspection in order to obtain certification by the FIA in the near future.
Macau or bust.

Ssshhhh, let me dream!

Let me play off of your meme word. :D

This is the mimesis I want to see forming in GT6 and 7. Maybe Prologue too.

PD is getting serious again, and GT6 begins to transform. Their prestige is on the line, and they pick up a big pair of gauntlets.

Bot A.I. gets a tune up. Physics gets a tweak, maybe a huge tweak. Tire modeling improves further, and tire wear becomes more realistic. Tuning matters much more. Sounds gradually improve. Damage modeling gets a boost, with more realistic consequences.

Arcade Mode gets a big overhaul, and more cars on track are just the start. New A-Spec events appear featuring all the tracks, and are more racing league oriented. New cars and tracks are offered, and the new tracks are integrated in those A-Spec events. More tracks feature time of day and weather. Longer events are included, with real endurance events. Pit stops now matter, and tire and fuel strategy plays a more integral role. Along with enduros, B-Spec returns. Online structure gets a big overhaul, with notes about features yet to be implemented.

The Event Maker, Race Mod and the Livery Editor come to the party. At some point, so does Course Maker II. Not as ambitious as we'd hoped on PS3, it's still a lovely improvement. The Livery Editor will allow you to make decals as well as full racing "skins" which can be shared or sold for game credits. Race Mod will allow you to make any kind of race car you want, including league specific cars, made to the specs of the league. The Event Maker is quite ambitious, allowing you to create a typical GT style series allowing you to race for cash prizes and cars, or a more simulation approach, where you race a series or a "season" as long as you care to make it, based solely on points. Street racing, tuner cars, league specific racing, selected tracks, selected cars from your garage if you want, even choosing the bots, it's all up to you.

Now comes the big Online Toolkit everyone has been waiting for. Club and League Builder allows anyone to create and manage a group, club, or full blown racing league, with defined rules, specs and allowed cars, which can be updated freely. Members can share specifically with other members items like cars, tunes, liveries, decals for cars, racing league number plates, Course Maker tracks and other items. The Event Maker allows the club and league masters to make anything from single events, track days, racing series and championships, all the way to full blown racing seasons.

A new section appears in the main menu: FIA GT. This is league based simulation racing. It begins in a small but substantial way with a number of racing leagues on offer. Join a league, race through a season on selected tracks following a calendar. You race for points and glory, not cars (and possibly not cash prizes, though there could be an economy). Make a run to the championship to reign in that league, then select another, as many times as you want. Online modes work with the Club and League Tools to form racing groups and memberships. PD and FIA hosted events feature unique prizes, along with a GT Academy-like chance to join a real world racing team.

Aaand... hopefully, most of this shows up in GT6. If not, I'll eagerly be awaiting the arrival of GT7/Prologue. :bowdown:

WHat are you on mate ? Looks strong !:dunce:

Nurburgring, Silverstone, Motegi, Suzuka, Tsukuba, LeMans...

PD does not use it for bragging as many other studios, but almost all of their real-life tracks since 2004 has been laser-scanned with their own equipment and software.

Also, I think many do not see what this FIA partnership is all about - it is not that much about the licenses and stuff, but about partnership with the world greatest motorsport and automotive authority.

I foresee a major step forward for project in the veins of "GTAcademy", but this time sanctioned by FIA and made in collaboration with many manufacturers, not only one.

Another right step to mimesis.

This your own interpetation Amar... And yes, I (and a few others) fail to see what this concretely brings to the GAME. Last time I checked, Kaz was a GAME producer. And all the previous deals he got (Senna, Topgear, Nascar, WRC, etc...) ended as just plain deception and underuse (the Senna content was ridiculously light imo... even I didn't think it would be so light after their big announcement 6 months ago)...

FIA doesn't own anything but prestige... and I feel that it's all that matters to Kaz these days: prestige and brag about GT being so close to car industry.

But the game is still broken and unfinished in so many ways... We've been there so many times with PD now...

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand all this, that it can be a mere marketing ploy, etc.

But does that not mean that they now have an extra item to tout about themselves? When they go to looking into modeling more locations, will this official FIA seal-of-approval not be a tasty bit of meat for the license holders?

Is this not an accolade that officially sets them as a developer ahead of the competition? In the literal aspect, likely not. But in the business/corporate/legal aspect, do they not have more credentials, and therefore more "worth"? Even if they aren't actually the top-gun developer, does it not give them even the slightest potential for better access to more assets, and therefore more content for the users?

The racing league concept is certainly very interesting, but for truly serious competition, would require an extensive improvement on the online capabilities of GT. Also, it would be a good idea to keep this completely separate from GT Academy - comprehensive competitive virtual motorsport (such as this league would suggest, a la iRacing) should be treated as independent, rather than tying it to the prospect of a real-life racing career as GTA does.

If the FIA "encourage" PD to implement a real world flag system, drive through penalties, & some actual motorsport in GT games, then I'll be happy. However, as things stand this doesn't really mean anything. What if the content we end up getting is just another time trial, or some lame seasonal event against the AI on a few FIA certified tracks? It wouldn't be the first time PD haven't made the most of what they've got, GT6 already has so many possibilities that have not been fully utilized, I can't see this being much different. I do hope I'm proved wrong though.

Failed? I dont consider every GT a failure in the aspects listed. I thought the AI was decent in previous (ps2) GT games. I think GT can get better and know it will. The FIA thing may push their boundaries further out and add to the series. Nothing known on that front, but its not inconceivable that this can become a big partnership.

Exactly, it hasn't got any better. Neither have a lot of areas. GT certainly can and does need to get better but I just don't see how this announcement is suddenly a watershed moment and that all that stuff Tenacious D rattled off is suddenly any more likely.

Incredible news.

Here is a list someone put together a few years back of FIA accredited tracks. Four of these are likely to be the accredited ones. As I said elsewhere the FIA grades all tracks used for FIA competition. Grade 1 is the highest grade and only these tracks can be used for Formula 1 races or testing. But a track can stll be FIA graded but not certififed for use in F1; e.g. Brands Hatch is FIA Grade 2.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/157949-list-of-all-fia-graded-circuits/

I see everyone's still not sure which Hype train they should be boarding... or if it's the complain-train that would better suit them!

My two cents... it could operate like this.

- Regional qualifying probably by way of a couple of time trials

- Top 5000 regional players go through to regional heats, maybe 5 races.

- Top 100 players from regional heats go to regional finals, maybe another 5 races, with the slowest drivers getting whittled away each race.

- Take it down to the Final 15 Regional players

- 5 races with these 15 guys/gals, at the end you have the FIA Gran Turismo Regional Champions

- These champions then compete in a 10 race world championship series to give the FIA Gran Turismo World Champion.

Now... they could operate this format for Karts, GT cars and an Open wheel series OR, they could offer it just as a spec racing series, with a new suitably designed PDI car being used - perhaps a new for 2015 Formula GT car.

Spectating could take place via online streaming... or via a screen in GT6 where you get to select what you see much like you can in a replay.

Since it would be an FIA sanctioned event stewards would be watching to penalize etc.

I suspect the heats and finals will take place on dedicated servers.

Now.. that's what the FIA side of it could bring. What does it bring to Joe Bloggs average GT player who isn't alien fast. Well, both circuits and car manufacturers want to be seen in FIA championships, so this is a big attraction for them to PD - making it easier to get around licensing issues.

polyphony.JPG

Jean Todt, Emerson Fittipaldi and Kaz...Great encounter...

..... and Keiko Ihara ;)

Going to guess that Monza isn't one of the tracks that got certified, considering the first chicane on the modern version has massive walls which aren't there in real life. Unless PD are going to update it to remove those walls so it's more realistic to how it is in the real world.

I understand all this, that it can be a mere marketing ploy, etc.

But does that not mean that they now have an extra item to tout about themselves? When they go to looking into modeling more locations, will this official FIA seal-of-approval not be a tasty bit of meat for the license holders?

Is this not an accolade that officially sets them as a developer ahead of the competition? In the literal aspect, likely not. But in the business/corporate/legal aspect, do they not have more credentials, and therefore more "worth"? Even if they aren't actually the top-gun developer, does it not give them even the slightest potential for better access to more assets, and therefore more content for the users?

You make it sound like the reason we don't get certain content in Gran Turismo is that the license holders are not sure that Polyphony can do it justice.

I seriously doubt that is the case, in any situation. It's about money and value, like any business.

Gran Turismo was already the most well-known racing game brand in the world, with the possible exception of Need for Speed. The last thing they needed was more credentials, more legitimacy. If license holders didn't think they were worthwhile working with when they were selling 10+ million copies of games, I don't see why having four tracks "certified" by the FIA is going to mean anything to them.

Maybe it's true. Maybe there are license holders out there who were just waiting for a developer to come along who could do such a good job on their track that the FIA would certify the digital work.

If so, give me their numbers. I've got a bridge to sell them.

With my sarcastic hat off, your idea isn't too bad, but any serious business person is not going to be taken in by a flashy sticker saying "FIA". They will evaluate whether the FIA association is worth anything to them, and I fail to see how much value it's going to add over the exposure that a multi-million copy selling game would already.

Maybe it's Kaz'a way of saying don't expect any PS4 offerings in 2015, were still working on GT6 etc.
True, though it could be the opposite. Kaz is very coy about his secrets since 2005. And he did say to expect GT7 in a year or two, which by my math would include 2015...

and they needed certification from the FIA for all of this to happen and kick themselves into action why? People are getting way carried away with this, as usual. FIA certification doesn't suddenly mean 90% of the game is going to be improved where they've failed over 15 years, you're in dreamland.
True, and yes, I'm in dreamland.

Or maybe not. :D The Ayrton Senna association resulted in some stuff. And more is coming.

You can be skeptical, that's fine. But this association could well result in the kinds of things we've been asking for. I doubt Kaz takes the question board entries lightly.

GT history of half baked partnerships.

"Hey GT5 has WRC cars!! OMG we ll be able to do official races with real tracks!! Maybe even official championships!"
Nope.

"OMG GT has Nascars!!!! YEHAAA!!! Nascar Championship !! nascar rules!! Gonna be fantastic!!"
Nope.

"WOW!! GT has Top gear!!! Great!!! We'll be able to challenge Stig's times!!! "
Nope.

"MAMMA MIA!!! GT has a partnership with the Senna foundation!! Imola here I come!!!Mac Laren MP4!!!"
Nope.

"JESUS CHRIST!! GT has GPS something something... We'll be able to build our own tracks from our GPS!!!"
Nope.

"MOTHER OF GOD!! GT has a track creator!! We'll be able to build real life tracks !!"
Nope.

"CRAZY!!! GT has a partnership with KW!! We'll be able to try their wind tunnel !!!!"
Nope.

"WOW!!! Bspec is great!! We'll be able to have our bobs as our teammates in endurance races!!!!"
Nope.

And so on....

Now PD signed a paper with FIA. FIA doesn't own brands, doesn't own tracks, doesn't own series... The news only says that everyone at PD and FIA is very happy... and, as always with PD, doesn't explain why we, players, should be.(99% of players don't care about GT academy as they know they will never make it to the finals....just a nice very limited leaderboard)

All i get from this news is that, from now on, tracks will be labelled "FIA certified"... which i don't care. Give me laser scanned tracks and then we'll talk.

In the end, be sure PD will be way less imaginative than you guys...and don't expect much. As always.
^ This post should be sticky in the main GT6 forum.
Negative Imari is negative. Let's just wait this out, and see what PD and FIA have in store. You might be surprised.
He is not negative he just realized this thing actually could be nothing more than noisy PR BS.

Give me the content first, then when we have this NEW content, then you can tell me how much Kaz and Jean Todt loves each other. ;)

Pro tip: adding a FIA badge doesn't increase cars or tracks count in my book or add any relevant feature. Actually it's just an announcament of a future announcment.

Last edited:
True, though it could be the opposite. Kaz is very coy about his secrets since 2005. And he did say to expect GT7 in a year or two, which by my math would include 2015...

True, and yes, I'm in dreamland.

Or maybe not. :D The Ayrton Senna association resulted in some stuff. And more is coming.

You can be skeptical, that's fine. But this association could well result in the kinds of things we've been asking for. I doubt Kaz takes the question board entries lightly.

The Ayrton Senna association resulted in content because from day 1 and the very first announcement it was always said it would result in content.

So what is the direct correlation between this and those game features you mentioned, some of which were already listed as 'coming soon/planned' or some that have been asked for for years? What exactly are you seeing here that I'm not that makes you think all that stuff you listed is now more likely as a direct result?

I'm not being skeptical, I'm merely saying what we've been told so far is in no way an indication of any licenses or any content as a direct result. I'm firmly in the 'wait and see what it actually entails' camp. It could be great, it could be worthless.

So safetystuff is important in the game? Why? There is no penalty in hitting your ai opponents and going of track doesnt kill you. This is plain marketing mambo jumbo as i see it. But if its free then its ok anyway :)

So safetystuff is important in the game? Why? There is no penalty in hitting your ai opponents and going of track doesnt kill you. This is plain marketing mambo jumbo as i see it. But if its free then its ok anyway :)

Because that's how real racing works.

Simulating racing means simulating as much as possible. Ultimately, that should include damage, because that's a consequence of reckless driving and/or an aspect of luck that everyone has to deal with. It should also include flags and safety cars, because those are important strategic elements of modern racing.

No one expects all this stuff at once, but the ultimate goal should definitely be to have it in. It is important.

Simulating racing means simulating as much as possible. Ultimately, that should include damage, because that's a consequence of reckless driving and/or an aspect of luck that everyone has to deal with. It should also include flags and safety cars, because those are important strategic elements of modern racing.

No one expects all this stuff at once, but the ultimate goal should definitely be to have it in. It is important.
Yes proper damage and raceconditions are a must as sound and more cars for the purpose.
Then FIA logo feels right.

Agreed, although I doubt that we will see these features in GT6. PD should utilize their partnership with FIA to include more FIA content (cars and tracks) in GT6. A proper physical and mechanical damage system, and safety features can be included in GT7, where they will have more resources to work with, by developing the game on the PS4.

Back