Polyphony Digital Returning Car Survey for GT7

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 50 comments

Which iconic cars of Gran Turismo's past should make a return?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
London
azzabry86
To make life easier for our good friends at Polyphony Digital, I've created a survey which the developers can refer to when considering what cars should be reintroduced to the series.

A big focus of GT7 is a return to what made the series so popular in the first place. Historic tracks and cars are set to return that should really tap into our collective nostalgia. I myself have amassed over 20 years with the franchise and can recall numerous iconic vehicles that have defined over 2 decades of play. I'm sure many of you out there have own fan favourites.

I fully understand there will be many cars not mentioned that didn't make the cut. I've done my best to narrow it down to just under a hundred, taking a roughly equal sample from all six mainline entries. If I haven't listed what you believe to be a series defining vehicle, just mention it and let's hope your fellow GT fans will give it a bunch of likes. Remember this isn't a wish list for cars that have yet to debut in the game.

Some points to bear in mind. I haven't listed any Super GT vehicles as it appears quite a few are set to return in GT7 (Castrol TOMS Supra, Penzoil Nismo GT-R etc.). By all means mention which liveries you consider relevant in the comments below.

Again the purpose of this survey is to inform the developers of what we as a community believe which cars should have the highest priority in returning to the game. Reasons could be it's historical value (e.g. Peugeot 905 as it won Le Mans), novelty value (Renault Espace F1) or game breaking notoriety (Pikes Peak Escudo from GT2, perhaps the series most infamous cheat car?).

I've allocated 10 picks for your consideration. Choose wisely!

Ideally I'd want all (even Demio), but for only 10, I'd choose:
  • Auto Union V16 Type C Streamline '37
  • Ford RS200 '84
  • Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04
  • Honda CR-X del Sol SiR ’92
  • Jaguar XJ220 '92
  • Renault Espace F1 '94 (I want this the most)
  • Suzuki V6 Escudo Pikes Peak Special '98
  • Tommy Kaira ZZII ‘00
  • Toyota Celica GT-FOUR (ST205) ’98
  • TVR Tuscan Speed 12 '00 (shouldn't it be Cerbera?)

Last edited:
For what we've seen in GT7's car list, I've noticed there's a whole theme of cars that are being kind of ignored. These are late 90's - early 00's European and American road cars. Maybe PD has forgotten about them, but icons like the Cobra R, the DB7 and the fourth gen Camaro would be great options to consider. I feel like Porsche is the only brand they're giving the right attention to this particular category of cars. On the other side, they're going heavy on 1950-1970 cars from these countries.

Last edited:
This ‘survey’ is pointless because this doesn’t sound ‘official’ per se like the suggestions subforum is or a car request submission module set up by Polyphony or Sony would be.

The car list is ultimately up to Polyphony/Sony (they’ve probably decided on close to everything by now and there’s certainly parts of the list that we don’t know about yet), and the people who request cars like these are a vocal minority of players. That’s not to say that Polyphony/Sony don’t take threads like this one into account, but it’s unwise to think that this ‘survey’ is going to have an effect on what cars are in the final game.

I'd say every car in that list ought to return, except for two: the Jay Leno Tank Car, and the Mazda Furai. But this isn't because I'm not interested in them being included, but rather, I think they'd be too hard to integrate into the game, especially the Furai since it was destroyed. As for Jay Leno, I'd rather just have the Toronado return from GT6, and leave the Tank Car behind, as I think it's unusually long wheelbase would prove to be major headache for PD.

EDIT: And as much of a fan-favorite the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Version is, I don't think that car exists anymore, either.

Last edited:
I think this survey would have benefitted from giving the members a week or two to nominate cars to be included in the poll. Now we can just choose between an arbitrary selection of cars, which means that the result of the poll won’t reflect the wishes of the community.

This ‘survey’ is pointless because this doesn’t sound ‘official’ per se like the suggestions subforum is or a car request submission module set up by Polyphony or Sony would be.

The car list is ultimately up to Polyphony/Sony (they’ve probably decided on close to everything by now and there’s certainly parts of the list that we don’t know about yet), and the people who request cars like these are a vocal minority of players. That’s not to say that Polyphony/Sony don’t take threads like this one into account, but it’s unwise to think that this ‘survey’ is going to have an effect on what cars are in the final game.
Never professed to this poll being official. It's a community survey designed to offer Polyphony Digital some guidance about what iconic cars of the franchise should return. GT7 is a return to the series roots, hence why the Castrol TOMS Supra took centre stage in the recent trailer. I would hardly say those clamouring for the return of the likes of the Nissan R390 or the XJ220 are a vocal minority. Why would Trial Mountain have featured so heavily in the initial announcement trailer. For many this is a game that corrects a lot of the wrongs present in GT Sport.

Ever considered the off chance someone from Polyphony Digital does stumble across this thread? Say for example an employee spots high demand for the Lexus LFA and mentions it to their line manager. They in turn raise it with the licensing / modelling team and who knows, maybe we get to hear those sweet V10 notes once again. Personally I've never had much faith in PDI listening to the community, but hell it's worth a shot isn't it? Because if a thread like this is pointless then so is the main suggestions subforms. Many have contributed to it, so are they just wasting their time as well?

I think this survey would have benefitted from giving the members a week or two to nominate cars to be included in the poll. Now we can just choose between an arbitrary selection of cars, which means that the result of the poll won’t reflect the wishes of the community.
I fully understand there will be many cars not mentioned that didn't make the cut. I've done my best to narrow it down to just under a hundred, taking a roughly equal sample from all six mainline entries. If I haven't listed what you believe to be a series defining vehicle, just mention it and let's hope your fellow GT fans will give it a bunch of likes.

We're less than six months from release. These are suggestions for GT8, or at best for DLC in a year or two. The only way you get these any earlier than 2023 is if they were already planning on including them already.

Never professed to this poll being official. It's a community survey designed to offer Polyphony Digital some guidance about what iconic cars of the franchise should return. GT7 is a return to the series roots, hence why the Castrol TOMS Supra took centre stage in the recent trailer. I would hardly say those clamouring for the return of the likes of the Nissan R390 or the XJ220 are a vocal minority. Why would Trial Mountain have featured so heavily in the initial announcement trailer. For many this is a game that corrects a lot of the wrongs present in GT Sport.

Ever considered the off chance someone from Polyphony Digital does stumble across this thread? Say for example an employee spots high demand for the Lexus LFA and mentions it to their line manager. They in turn raise it with the licensing / modelling team and who knows, maybe we get to hear those sweet V10 notes once again. Personally I've never had much faith in PDI listening to the community, but hell it's worth a shot isn't it? Because if a thread like this is pointless then so is the main suggestions subforms. Many have contributed to it, so are they just wasting their time as well?
Once again, I am close to certain that Polyphony does read threads such as these and I would guess that they do take these requests into consideration. But it is their game, not ours, and they have limited resources (time being the most important one), so they can’t deliver on everything ‘the community’ wants. Plus there’s plenty we still don’t know about the car list yet!

We're less than six months from release. These are suggestions for GT8, or at best for DLC in a year or two. The only way you get these any earlier than 2023 is if they were already planning on including them already.
Well there are still some new cars (I mean the cars that came back to GT7 that weren't in GT sport) to see for now we seen only half of the new and returning cars in GT7, since the total number is 420+ and there are 90+ new cars from GT Sport. So what we seen it's still not 100% the entire list, and a lot will come with DLC regardless

Last edited:
Once again, I am close to certain that Polyphony does read threads such as these and I would guess that they do take these requests into consideration. But it is their game, not ours, and they have limited resources (time being the most important one), so they can’t deliver on everything ‘the community’ wants. Plus there’s plenty we still don’t know about the car list yet!
Can't imagine what hidden gems Polyphony have in store for us. I'd like to say I'm fairly up to speed with my car history, but the developer has a real talent for picking rare, unique and sometimes unfamiliar vehicles. Who saw that Alpine A220 coming for one?

Five clear frontrunners so far:

Bentley Speed 8
Jaguar XJ220
Lexus LFA
Toyota GT-One
Nissan R390

I’d be astounded if the LFA wasn’t already in GT7. Given how good the relationship is between Toyota and Polyphony, you’d think it was a done deal.

But imagine if it wasn’t. Imagine the logic where a Toyota Aqua takes precedent over an LFA.

Tons of lovely cars on the list but limited to a very difficult 10 I went with:
  • Bentley EXP Speed 8 ’03
  • Gillet Vertigo Race Car ’04
  • Jaguar XJ220 ’92
  • Nissan R390 GT1 ’98
  • Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car ’98
  • Peugeot 905B Evo 1 Bis LM ’92
  • Saleen S7 ’02
  • Toyota GT-One (TS020) ’99
  • Volkswagen W12 Nardò Concept ’01
  • Volvo 240 GLT Estate ’88

This is more of a focused survey concentrating on a specific set of cars, not the entire auto industry.
But that forum is based on seven years of voting, with thousands of votes (Likes) cast. This poll will die off before it ever receives a meaningful percentage of the GTS playerbase. Currently only 60 odd voters.

Mind you, that forum is still not exactly a massive percentage of the ~10 million players.

PD could set up something on their own website or even somehow in-game to truly get a picture of what the wider fanbase want to see.

Too bad that's not for niether of us,but I in person sureley would like more us cars.I like for example Rambler/Amc cars and the Amc brand was sold under Renault here in sweden and might even been sold in europe as Ramblers long into the 1970.But Rambler was Amc from 1968 onwards in the rest of the world.Think at the Javelin,Matador and Hornets,all had engines from a measly 232 cu.in straight 6 to a 401 cu.in v8 except the hornet,gremlin and pacer.Look at the old cars that was fun😃 I can look at new cars at a dealership if i want to,but they all look the same (it's lame)

Last edited:
But that forum is based on seven years of voting, with thousands of votes (Likes) cast. This poll will die off before it ever receives a meaningful percentage of the GTS playerbase. Currently only 60 odd voters.

Mind you, that forum is still not exactly a massive percentage of the ~10 million players.
This is something I addressed on the site feedback section. (Also, during the peak of the forum in the GT6 days, it was full of suggestion thread creator cliques.)

The Toyota GT-one is coming back.
Citation needed.

PD could set up something on their own website or even somehow in-game to truly get a picture of what the wider fanbase want to see.
Question is, will Polyphony ever do such a poll? Whilst waiting for something that might never happen, why not just do our own as a community and ascertain our collective preferences? I admit this poll isn't perfect, but if there's the slimmest of slim chances it influences the developer then why not give it a go?

Bentley Speed 8
Jaguar XJ220
Lexus LFA
Toyota GT-One
Nissan R390
Even with only 70 plus voters at this current stage in time, clear trends are emerging. Whether you poll 100 players or a 1000 players the trends would probably be similar. A certain number of vehicles are proving overwhelmingly popular even with such a small sample size. The Toyota GT-One currently sits at under 50% of all players polled, a clear indication its return would go down well with the community.

Premium data exists for the Bentley and LFA, so should Polyphony ever decide to frequent this forum then they have a clear idea of what would be popular additions to the game. Both of those cars would just require a touch-up on par with other Super Premiums present in GT Sport. A far easier task wouldn't you agree than starting from scratch with new to series vehicles as proposed in the suggestions forums.

This is something I addressed on the site feedback section. (Also, during the peak of the forum in the GT6 days, it was full of suggestion thread creator cliques.)
Personally I feel like the suggestions forum is a place for folks to exercise their wish list demons. I doubt it's ever influenced Polyphony given how few of the hotly suggested vehicles have ever made the transition from request to asset (like 6 odd I think?). Will this poll be just as effective? Probably not but it's nice to see what cars the community have reverence for. Didn't expect the Jaguar XJ220 to be so popular for one.

Latest Posts

Back