Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
Porsche 991 unveiled

After a few pictures leaked onto the web, Porsche has finally released official details of its new generation 911 ahead of its Frankfurt motor show debut. Codenamed 991, this is the sixth generation of the rear-engined classic, following the original air-cooled 911, 964 and 993, and the water-cooled 996 and 997. Strangely, it does not use the codename 998, but goes back to the unused 991, probably because the numbers are running out.

My first impression on the new car is a familiar design evolved further to a modern sports car profile. This is best illustrated by its side view: it looks longer, lower and slimmer. The tail is no longer a ducktail. It is positioned nearly as high as the tail on a mid-engined sports car, although a faster angle fastback largely hide this fact. Undoubtedly, the higher tail is deliberately introduced to reduce aerodynamic lift.

Tape measures found the 991 is a larger car again. At 4491 mm, it is 56 mm longer than 997. But more important is finally a wheelbase stretch, and it gains a considerable 100 mm to 2450 mm. This is the first boost of wheelbase since 996. The front and rear overhangs are actually reduced, so this is a more modern shape. The new body also gets 65 mm wider to 1873 mm. Nevertheless, its roof is lowered by 11 mm to 1299 mm.

Aerodynamic drag is unchanged at 0.29, still a remarkable figure for a sports car. Most important, Porsche claims aero lift is now reduced to nearly zero, both at front and rear. Like before, a rear spoiler normally recessed onto the tail will raise at higher speed. As the spoiler no longer sits between the taillights, it can get wider and more effective.

Fears about weight gain due to the larger dimensions is unfound, because the monocoque chassis is now made of a hybrid of steel and aluminum. Porsche said it cuts 45 kilograms, though no kerb weight figures have been revealed until now.

The chassis again rides on MacPherson struts up front and multi-link suspensions at the rear. Porsche said the front track has been widened, while the rear has all-new geometry to improve stability, something highly crucial for a rear-engined machine. PASM adaptive dampers are carried over.

A new feature is PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control), or in our words "active anti-roll bars". Carried over from the Cayenne SUV, the system uses a hydraulic motor to swivel the two halfs of anti-roll bars either in the same direction (to harden the suspension) or in opposite direction (to soften the suspension), so to alter the resistance to body roll.

Another new feature is a pure electrical power steering. It is promised to deliver the tactile feel worth the name of Porsche. I can't wait to see whether the statement is true.

As before, there are two versions of regular 911s - Carrera and Carrera S. The former has its direct-injection flat-six reduced from 3.6 to 3.4 liters, but it manages to get a slight power boost of 5 hp to 350 hp, although its maximum torque of 280 lbft is down by 8 lbft.

The Carrera S remains at 3.8 liters, and has its output improved to 400 hp (up 15 hp) and 324 lbft (up 14 lbft). Both engines now get automatic stop-start to save fuel. Overall fuel consumption is claimed to be 14 percent lower.

The 3.4 Carrera and 3.8 Carrera S are mainly distinguished by twin-tailpipes and quad-tailpipes.

The 7-speed PDK gearbox on the 997 is only 3 years old, so it is carried over. Porsche hasn't forgotten the needs of hardcore customers, so it develops a new 7-speed manual gearbox. It is believed to be a single-clutch version of the PDK, and it is the world's first 7-speed manual on production cars. I suspect the 7th is an overdrive to return improved fuel consumption figures.

Naturally, performance is slightly improved again (Porsche always save the trump cards for further evolutions to come). The Carrera PDK tops 179 mph and sprint from 0-60 mph in 4.4 sec. The Carrera S PDK tops 188 mph and does 0-60 in 4.1 sec. In both cases, if Sport Chrono pack with launch control is selected, another 0.2 sec can be shaved.

Inside, the new 911 finally gets an all-new interior whose design owes a lot to Panamera, especially the center console. Both quality and equipment are significantly upgraded. The classic 5-gauge instrument has one of the gauge converted to LCD information display.

Overall, I would say performance is not the highlight of the change. In fact, it might not be faster than the last Carrera GTS with 408 horsepower. The biggest progress may lie on its improved handling, interior and room for further upgrades in the years to come.

991_1.jpg

991_7.jpg

991_2.jpg

991_dash.jpg

Linky (Including More Pictures).

I like the new design, though I'm not quite sure I like the new tailights. They look nice from the side and 3/4 shots, but from dead-on they look pretty weird.

So, more integrated DRL's and narrower taillights separate it visually from the previous generation..

Looks longer and has a bit of Panamera look to it. Not sure I like it but I'll wait to see one on person.

Hmm, may bring the price down on the 997. Although I'd be confused which is which.

I also like what they have been doing with the rear lights over the past few models, its all very Audi inspired. However I don't like all the cluttered lettering on the rear, either have Porsche or the name... not both! The Panamera started all that nonsense off.

As for the rest of it... yeah thats what a Porsche looks like so they did their job! :lol:

Looks brilliant actually, I love it. My only gripe...is it really necessary to put "Porsche" on the rear decklid?

So what will they use for their GT race car?
The 997 GT3 RS 4.0? Or the 991?

The shape of the car from the side looks like they took the image and stretched it.
Not sure I like that. But OMG that rear end is absolutely gorgeous.

Looks good. But then it's a 911 and it hasn't changed much, so that's a given.

The biggest change is obviously the interior and it seems to work well. If it's the same quality jump over the 997 as the current Cayenne was to the previous one then it'll feel pretty nice too, but it's still very obviously a 911 interior, clear and simple.

Will be interesting to see what treatment the interior is given on future GT3 models.

I see some Panamera and I am not sure if I like it, overall It's ok, I want to see what they do with the Turbo and GT2/3 (yes, yes a long way off)

Wait a minute...

Isn't that the same model as the last one? :confused: I mean, it still looks the same... :confused: [/sarcasm]

Porsche needs to try a new style of looks. Granted, it doesn't look bad even now but seeing an actually more changed look on a 911 wouldn't hurt in today's world. Mind you, it would probably still accelerate like a boss, so why should I be complaining? :indiff:

I really love the new shape, and for me, this is the nicest 911 shape since the 964. The interior is stunning (though not in that hiddeous beige colour!).

I'm not so in love with those wheels though... a bit too fussy for my taste. I'd also lose the 'Porsche' script from the read lid... and then have the '911 Carerra' moved to a more suitable position... this is easy enough to do.

GT3 cars will continue to be 997 based for the immediate future as the 991 won't have any of the essential parts homologated yet.

Detailing isn't hugely different from the 997, but the lower, wider stance and extended wheelbase really works visually. With the bigger wheels too it looks like a design concept of the 997 made real. Can't wait to see the GT3 version.

The whole stance and shape of this car is so, so pretty. The side-view picture is drop-dead gorgeous!

Mixed feelings here. Love the new rear (without the script), but cannot recognize it as a 911 from the front :confused: The wider track at the front may improve the handling, it also killed some of the typical 911 curvatures. Might have to see it in person first...

Loving this photo:

79092d1314175950-officially-official-new-porsche-911-carrera-revealed-foto.jpg

At least someone had the sense to remove all the junk lettering from the rear, looks much better in that pic 👍

I've seen a lot of people (mostly on other websites) saying they should change the design, why? 911s have always been that layout and body shape, and they always should IMO.

I love it. The shape is still recognisable but the back end especially has been improved heaps. The way the rear lights are indented smoothly looks awesome.

The shape of the car from the side looks like they took the image and stretched it.

They are making a 991 Cup car.

Why would they use the RS 4.0 when that car is already supposed to be "built" from their racecars to begin with? (The car shares the block, crankshaft & rods from the RSR)

GT race cars will continue to be 997 based until the 991 GT3 comes out in a couple of years time.

I don't even see how this is a new car..? To me it's just a facelift as the body of the car looks the exact same..I mean even if the engines are different it should just be a facelift. I don't get how this is an all NEW model if parts of this car still appear to be from the old one.
Don't get me wrong the car looks great, but I think it's rather classified as a "facelift" instead of an all new model.

I don't even see how this is a new car..? To me it's just a facelift as the body of the car looks the exact same..I mean even if the engines are different it should just be a facelift. I don't get how this is an all NEW model if parts of this car still appear to be from the old one.
Don't get me wrong the car looks great, but I think it's rather classified as a "facelift" instead of an all new model.

I get your point, but not only the engine has change, the dimensions of the car also have changed. Now it is a bit larger, with larger wheel base, wider, lower...so it is new chassis.

To me the car looks great, but I would change the headlights to the 997 ones

Seriously though, to me, the car looks exactly the same to be honest. I can see it's wider, and understand that it's a whole new car underneath, I just feel they should have went a bit more out there in terms of designing the car.
Like in TopGear - Jeremy Clarkson used to say "Porsche are the laziest designers in the world."
I used to totally disagree and could tell the difference between the 996 and 997 and still think the 997 is amazing. But with this new model I'm starting to side with the TV idiot.

Toronado
Well then, its a good thing the 991 shares no parts with the 997 then, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

Care to share the marketing tosh about what is new with this car?
Just seems like this car shares characteristics with the Carrera GTS underneath which is wider than the normal 997s, also isn't the Carrera S using the same engine as before? The gearbox is from the old car too.
Aero drag is the same number so the new design hasn't really affected the car greatly, I understand it's suspension and handling been improved though.
The interior is supposed to be all new but it doesn't really look like much has changed.

This is just my opinion and I respect everyone elses. I just want to know what really has changed in the new one.

Last edited:
Back