Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
I already own a pre facelift 996. The reason I don’t have a more recent 911 is the retirement place!
I had a feeling you did, based on your avatar. I think those cars are a great place to start if you want a 911, especially because the air-cooled 911s are just too expensive these days. Price-wise, they are definitely obtainable. Here in the US you can get the pre-face lift for a good chunk less than the facelift version. Obviously the newer cars command a higher price, but aside from that, people just prefer the facelift. Fortunately for me, I prefer the earlier 996s. Quite a few to choose from at reasonable prices around here.

I had a feeling you did, based on your avatar. I think those cars are a great place to start if you want a 911, especially because the air-cooled 911s are just too expensive these days. Price-wise, they are definitely obtainable. Here in the US you can get the pre-face lift for a good chunk less than the facelift version. Obviously the newer cars command a higher price, but aside from that, people just prefer the facelift. Fortunately for me, I prefer the earlier 996s. Quite a few to choose from at reasonable prices around here.

4S fetch more over here, but not much difference between a stock mk1 and 2. Mk1 engines are much more reliable than mk2’s... don’t suffer from bore scoring and have a better IMS.

Personally, I prefer the look of the mk1.

They all drive brilliantly. Nicer than a 993.

Was there anyway to get the 4S body on a non GT/Turbo 996?

A 2WD Carrera S with it would be ace as I think the 4S has aged a lot better.

In the US, you'll generally see a distinct step up in 996 prices (to the tune of a few thousand dollars) when you go from a C2/C4 to a C4S.

Was there anyway to get the 4S body on a non GT/Turbo 996?

A 2WD Carrera S with it would be ace as I think the 4S has aged a lot better.

996 widebodies were only on the C4S, Turbo and GT2. 996 GT3 utilized a narrowbody. No C2S widebody model was available for 996, unlike 993.

It's supposedly fairly simple to convert a 996 C4S into 2WD by simply removing the driveshaft going to the front and the front axles, and plugging the inboard of the hub where the front axle would typical go. I've seen folks on Rennlist do this.

I don't see the point of just removing the front drive shafts... the benefit of 2WD is less weight, and removing the drive shafts won't save much.

If you're going to do it, you need to remove all the drive gubbins from the front end.

I'm going to try not to insult 911/996 fans but these 911 Porsche models are such an abomination I will never, ever give money on such an ugly Porsche 911. Even if someone would give me one for free, I'd test drive it and try to sell it as quickly as possible.

:embarrassed:

The only "view" I like about the 996 is:

xxl_52984674-5.jpg

This is a normal looking and beautiful rear end. If you modify the front end to resemble a 997, the 996 is a little bit acceptable.

Last edited:
There's a narrow body 996 C4S in Plymouth with a curious little half spoiler on the trailing edge of the active spoiler. I find it much preferable to the Turbo look 4S. I just don't know if such a thing existed or the owner has added the badge himself.

I'm not loving the SC ducktail.
I'm going to try not to insult 911/996 fans but these 911 Porsche models are such an abomination I will never, ever give money on such an ugly Porsche 911. Even if someone would give me one for free, I'd test drive it and try to sell it as quickly as possible.

:embarrassed:

The only "view" I like about the 996 is:

xxl_52984674-5.jpg

This is a normal looking and beautiful rear end. If you modify the front end to resemble a 997, the 996 is a little bit acceptable.

Yea, the 996 looks absurd. Which one was it again?

911_1.jpg

Porsche-911-Turbo-Line-up.jpg

I don't mind the 996, I think it's the least attractive of all 911s but it's still pretty and it's aged well.

I'm not loving the SC ducktail.

Yea, the 996 looks absurd. Which one was it again?

911_1.jpg

Porsche-911-Turbo-Line-up.jpg

Why is there a 959 in the first picture? :odd:

It's very much based on the 911 but it's not a 911 per se.

As a 996 owner I'm clearly biased, but I love the early 996... it's simple, pure, and the design had aged extremely well IMO.

Early long nose 911's are the prettiest to my eyes, but I also really like 964's. Never been a fan of the impact bumper generation of cars, and I guess I must be in a tiny minority of not thinking the 993 is a great looking car.

I'm a big 911 fan but not all 911 are beautiful cars.

Like:

* 911 SC and G50 (don't want to own one though)
* 930 (don't want to own one though)
* 965 (don't want to own one though)
* 993 S(4) and turbo (want to own one)
* Mixed feeling when it comes to the 997 (don't want to own one though)
* 997.2 (wide body version) (don't want to own one though)
* 991 (wide body version) (want to own one)
* 991.2 (wide body version) (want to own one)
* GT3 Touring (want to own one)
* 991.2 Sport Classic (want to own one)
* 992 (Probably want one) :dopey:

Don't like:

* Standard 993
* Mixed feeling when it comes to the 997
* All recent turbos and recent GT3RS'ses
* All Speedster versions of the 911

Very important: NO tiptronic, PDK or whatever automatic gearboxes Porsche has. No convertibles, no Targa. Only coupe. :D

As for all the other Porsches, not interested at all to own one. Maybe, just maybe a 718 Cayman/Boxter.

* I'm not picky, I just know what I want.

As much as I love 911s if you offered me road converted 2.8 RSR I don’t think I’d ever need to own another 911.

What's wrong with the PDK?
Nothing worng with PDK per se but I prefer a manual. A PDK is not as involving as a(n) (semi) automatic. The double clutch technology is of a very high standard but I don't like driving automatics. And yes, I have driving PDK Porsches >>> 991 GTS, 718 Boxter S, 991.2 GTS.

In a trackday car, a PDK would be welcome though. But heel and toe must be interesting to practice on track as well. On some occassions, I heel and toe with my car (and I do it correctly).

My question is; why do people question my personal preferences? :D
If I don't like a certain model, it a personal thing. I don't question why others like what I don't like. Some like convertibles, PDK's, 964's Targas etc .... . Well, I don't. With Targas, it is a mixed feeling though. My second choice, instead of a coupe, would be a Targa.

Last edited:
Nothing worng with PDK per se but I prefer a manual. A PDK is not as involving as a(n) (semi) automatic. The double clutch technology is of a very high standard but I don't like driving automatics. And yes, I have driving PDK Porsches >>> 991 GTS, 718 Boxter S, 991.2 GTS.

In a trackday car, a PDK would be welcome though. But heel and toe must be interesting to practice on track as well. On some occassions, I heel and toe with my car (and I do it correctly).

My question is; why do people question my personal preferences? :D

For the purpose of having a discussion on a forum dedicated to discussion.

For the purpose of having a discussion on a forum dedicated to discussion.
Oh, okay, fair enough.

Discuss! :P

It is on topic after all.

Let's say I want to buy a 991 or a 991.2 (fiscal much cheaper than the 991 due to the lower CO2 emissions) and I find a perfect one but it is PDK, I'm definitely considering getting the PDK. But if I have a choice, I'd go for a manual.

Last edited:
Oh, okay, fair enough.

Discuss! :P

It is on topic after all.

Let's say I want to buy a 991 or a 991.2 (fiscal much cheaper than the 991 due to the CO2 emissions) and I find a perfect one but it is PDK, I'm definitely considering getting the PDK. But if I have a choice, I'd go for a manual.

For me it would depend on the purpose of the vehicle. Personally I would always prefer the PDK (VAG makes some great dual clutch transmissions). But for resale I might be willing to go manual if I weren't planning to use the car often.

For me it would depend on the purpose of the vehicle. Personally I would always prefer the PDK (VAG makes some great dual clutch transmissions). But for resale I might be willing to go manual if I weren't planning to use the car often.
Another reason to get a PDK is fiscal. A PDK has a lower CO2 emissions and that translate is a significant lower fiscal burden.

As a track car (not a track day and daily driver), a PDK is my first option. I agree with you, the VAG dual clutch technology is very good. It is the driving experience (as a daily driver) that is less interesting.

Personally, I’d never take a PDK, unless it was for a car that was going to spend a lot of time on the track. I’ve driven a 991GT3 extensively, and although the gearbox is amazingly quick, it just takes too much of the interaction away for me.

I don't see the point of just removing the front drive shafts... the benefit of 2WD is less weight, and removing the drive shafts won't save much.

If you're going to do it, you need to remove all the drive gubbins from the front end.

I looked again and it looks like the front differential is also removed. Typical quoted weight reduction for all the stuff seems to be ~70 lbs.

GTS manual = €905.23 yearly tax
..€3,805.8 registration tax
GTS PDK = €847.03
....€2,027.01 regitration tax​

Personally, I’d never take a PDK, unless it was for a car that was going to spend a lot of time on the track. I’ve driven a 991GT3 extensively, and although the gearbox is amazingly quick, it just takes too much of the interaction away for me.
Hear, hear.

Last edited:
GTS manual = €905.23 yearly tax
..€3,805.8 registration tax
GTS PDK = €847.03
....€2,027.01 regitration tax​

Likely the emissions variance between manual and PDk cars will close once manufacturers have to publish more realistic data - which they have to do this year.

PDK's create a false low test by changing up a unrealistic revs.

Likely the emissions variance between manual and PDk cars will close once manufacturers have to publish more realistic data - which they have to do this year.

PDK's create a false low test by changing up a unrealistic revs.
I hope you're right because I don't want to have PDK because it is fiscally cheaper.

Back