Porsche is Giving the 919 a Victory Tour (And Looking to Shatter Lap Records)

Mercedes W09, Ferrari SF71H and Red Bull RB14. Wait until Aug 25th around 3pm CEST. Again, unless it's just initial testing.

So it will take a F1 car to beat it, how you can not find that impressive is honestly confusing. F1 cars are the fastest cars on the planet, there is nothing faster round spa.. no wait.. there is... until the new F1 cars developed at the cost of billions gets a chance.

I don't think so. I mean theoretically if this 919 variant was in a game.

I think i did a 6:13 around there in the porsche and i am not fast.

Mercedes W09, Ferrari SF71H and Red Bull RB14. Wait until Aug 25th around 3pm CEST. Again, unless it's just initial testing.

One thing that’s worth pointing out is that, this was their first crack at it and also its not very warm at the moment. I imagine if they had another crack in the summer with someone (with all due respect) faster over a single lap, you’d find a decent chunk of time.

Makes you wonder what an unrestricted and super light ‘17 F1 car could do on Hyper softs

So it will take a F1 car to beat it, how you can not find that impressive is honestly confusing. F1 cars are the fastest cars on the planet, there is nothing faster round spa.. no wait.. there is... until the new F1 cars developed at the cost of billions gets a chance.

F1 cars are regulated to hell and back. That these guys built an unrestricted car which is most likely slower than current F1 cars (and let's be real here, just letting the F1s use DRS everywhere would be enough to smash the 41.7 even last year) isn't really that impressive. I'm sure they weren't working on a shoestring here, the base car was a result of 4 years of insanely expensive R&D and the Tribute spec must've also cost a ton.

One thing that’s worth pointing out is that, this was their first crack at it and also its not very warm at the moment. I imagine if they had another crack in the summer with someone (with all due respect) faster over a single lap, you’d find a decent chunk of time.

Makes you wonder what an unrestricted and super light ‘17 F1 car could do on Hyper softs

Which is why I'm not casting my final judgement just yet. If they manage the expected 1:36, I'll be impressed, but the way they hype up this run makes me think they're done with Spa.

I imagine if they had another crack in the summer with someone (with all due respect) faster over a single lap, you’d find a decent chunk of time.

Jani seems like the man for the job: he did set the fastest time for the WEC-spec 919, after all.

F1 cars are regulated to hell and back. That these guys built an unrestricted car which is most likely slower than current F1 cars (and let's be real here, just letting the F1s use DRS everywhere would be enough to smash the 41.7 even last year) isn't really that impressive. I'm sure they weren't working on a shoestring here, the base car was a result of 4 years of insanely expensive R&D and the Tribute spec must've also cost a ton.

I was wondering how long it'd be before I saw someone disregarding a new global overall lap record because it "isn't really that impressive."

I saw three passes through Eau Rouge in that video and two of them appeared to be flat out!?

Edit: Just noticed - it has a DRS system.

Last edited:
I was wondering how long it'd be before I saw someone disregarding a new global overall lap record because it "isn't really that impressive."

No matter how many big words, you attatch to it, beating heavily regulated machinery with an unrestricted one, with an unlimited number of attempts, by 0.7s is not that impressive.

No matter how many big words, you attatch to it, beating heavily regulated machinery with an unrestricted one, with an unlimited number of attempts, by 0.7s is not that impressive.
It's an overall record. This human built machine went around the teamt the fastest. It's to show off what they can do. It doesn't have to be compared to race cars that are based on regulations. You don't compare those rocket speed record cars to a Chiron.

It's an overall record. This human built machine went around the teamt the fastest. It's to show off what they can do. It doesn't have to be compared to race cars that are based on regulations. You don't compare those rocket speed record cars to a Chiron.

Except rocket-based speed record cars exceed what the Chiron can do by a massive margin. If the Chiron can do 480km/h and a rocket car built for the sole purpose of achieving the highest top speed, with nothing but impagination stopping them from doing what they wanted to, would achieve 490, I wouldn't be impressed either.

I hope they take it to as many tracks as possible to just destroy every track record... Wonder what it'd do at Tsukuba...

Watching it tear through Eau Rouge scares the hell out of me and I have no clue why.

It's pretty much become routine seeing LMP1 and F1 cars go flat out through Eau Rouge, but I know what you mean.

This 919 is creepy fast. :boggled:

Last edited:
Watching the video, it sounds like it doesn't brake until the 100m marker at the end of the first straight and only then for a second or so. Same with going into Pouhon. :eek:

When I read it was 12 seconds faster than the 2017 WEC pole time at Spa, for a split second the thought "Well of course it would be. It rained last year" ran through my head. Then I remembered it didn't rain in qualifying...

Damn. :eek:

It started life as a car built around regulations and they just improved upon it, so in a sense it's still restricted by what it was. Give them a clean slate with a base chassis that doesn't have to comply to any regulations whatsoever, and they'd probably shave even more time off.

Take a prototype, slap stage 3 turbo, engine stage 3, add rigidity improvements, downforce 550 front, 850 rear... they are basically playing an old school Gran Turismo game in real life. Can't be more awesome than that! :lol::cheers:

It’s officially the fastest car to ever lap the Spa circuit, by nearly 8 tenths to boot or for a more comparable stat, pretty much 12 seconds quicker than the pole lap for LMP 1 last year which was set by a 919 at 1:53.756. :eek::eek:
To be pedantic, there is no "pole lap" in WEC LMP1 as they use a two-lap average system to set the grid. If we retroactively change last year's Spa qualifying to a single lap shootout, the #9 TS050 would have been on pole as it set the LMP1 lap record of 1'53.658 in that session.

Lmp1 h vs F1 2018

That would be awesome to see.

I would love to see Group C vs Lmp1 H. I want to see comparsion between the two groups.

The only thing that is going against the 919 Evo compared to this years F1 cars is weight.

849 kg to 733 kg.

Even after the weight removal from the Porsche, there is still noticeable amount.

Ozvny5ANTaqzdRze81sUnw

I'd be curious to see some telemetry... I bet the lateral G-forces are pretty insane.

Edit: In some ways it kind of reminds me of the stillborn Peugeot 905 Evo2 and how crazy it was.
19921017905qualMC.jpg

Last edited:
Back