Porsche Mission E Concept

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 146 comments
I don't think the Teslas are going to be able to hang with that kind of time around a track. Just a guess... the model 3 has good dynamics I think, but porsche has focused so much on repeatable power and they're king when it comes to dynamics so... you've got to think theirs is the better all-rounder.

I don't think the Teslas are going to be able to hang with that kind of time around a track. Just a guess... the model 3 has good dynamics I think, but porsche has focused so much on repeatable power and they're king when it comes to dynamics so... you've got to think theirs is the better all-rounder.

I think Porsche has this. Model 3 Performance is about as fast as an M2 Competition, gaining in the straights and understeering in the corners.

What the world doesn't have today:
A legitimate competitor to the Tesla Model S.

What the world will have after today:

I'm sick of the Tesla M-S being the only premium electric vehicles on the road. If for nothing but variety, I welcome the Taycan with open arms.

What the world doesn't have today:

What the world will have after today:

I'm sick of the Tesla M-S being the only premium electric vehicles on the road. If for nothing but variety, I welcome the Taycan with open arms.

Closest competition to the model S short of the Taycan is a model 3.

106111057-1567601639851taycanturbos.jpeg

Despite losing out on paper, I would still take the Taycan over the Model S any day of the week. :lol:

Despite losing out on paper, I would still take the Taycan over the Model S any day of the week. :lol:

Me too, there's no question to me that it's worth more than an S, the question is really how much.

Well, ok, actually to be fair it really depends on the value you put on autopilot. That's a tough one.

Looks the part both inside and out. Quite possibly the best looking pure electric car right now.

What's not to love about it? Aside from the price, which is big.
And that it weighs 2.3 tons. Drives in 2-ton Panameras and Cayennes suggest it should handle its weight okay, but using more than half a 911's worth of extra resources over a 911 goes against the EV message somewhat.

Not that its competitors are much lighter exactly (Model S 2.2 tons, I-Pace 2.1 tons, Audi e-tron 2.6 tons, Mercedes EQC 2.4 tons). But then I'm not keen on that aspect of any of them, either...

German Porsche website:

taycan.jpg

iris

iris

iris

The choices of wheels are very limited. The exterior colours are not that interesting either.

Last edited:
Me too, there's no question to me that it's worth more than an S, the question is really how much.

Well, ok, actually to be fair it really depends on the value you put on autopilot. That's a tough one.

Mostly the headlights and the vents next to them. The rest of the design is pretty good, but not especially exciting. Interior is fairly dope. I generally don't like the 4-point headlight motif that Porsche has developed - it has this inorganic/robotic feeling to it that clashes with the expressively-organic/curvy body shape that Porsche has been hammering out for 70+ years. And the folded/creased geometry at the intersection of the headlight, front fascia, front fender, and hood looks too complicated and also somewhat foreign compared to the rest of the car which is actually quite simple and pure. It looks like somebody used a ice pick to punch a hole in an otherwise clean shape and then kind of violently peeled back/folded the edges and then stuck in a headlight. It's not as bad as the Mclaren 570, but I still don't like it. I don't like that they (not just Porsche, many car makers are using the same design trope) are trying to create a false illusion of an "inner" body geometry pushing through an outer shell. It's fake and I'm tired of seeing it on everything.

Mostly the headlights and the vents next to them. The rest of the design is pretty good, but not especially exciting. Interior is fairly dope. I generally don't like the 4-point headlight motif that Porsche has developed - it has this inorganic/robotic feeling to it that clashes with the expressively-organic/curvy body shape that Porsche has been hammering out for 70+ years. And the folded/creased geometry at the intersection of the headlight, front fascia, front fender, and hood looks too complicated and also somewhat foreign compared to the rest of the car which is actually quite simple and pure. It looks like somebody used a ice pick to punch a hole in an otherwise clean shape and then kind of violently peeled back/folded the edges and then stuck in a headlight. It's not as bad as the Mclaren 570, but I still don't like it. I don't like that they (not just Porsche, many car makers are using the same design trope) are trying to create a false illusion of an "inner" body geometry pushing through an outer shell. It's fake and I'm tired of seeing it on everything.

It looks like paint under the eyes to me. I think you're seeing things.

bb659e2877aed3e421ae1db3f3ec85c4.jpg

Turbo and Turbo S trims... on an electric car? :odd:

Turbo also means fast at this point.

Turbo also means fast at this point.

Yep, it should be obvious that the Turbo/Turbo S monikers are nothing more than trim names at the point, especially since they have been used on ICE models which feature turbocharged engines across the range.

Overviews

Turbo S on the track

It does not have a "one pedal" model that most other EVs now have. Instead, the car will use regenerative braking first and then use the physical brakes when you hit the brakes.

UX and interior first look

The screens are actually quite laggy. He said that all four screens are controlled by one processor which probably explains it. It's also interesting how the driver's screen is extremely curved and has nothing covering it from glare. I wonder who the curved screen supplier is. Also, they claim they use a special type of glass to cut down on glare.

Looks the part both inside and out. Quite possibly the best looking pure electric car right now.

Agreed.

Not sure though whether to be surprised or not by how close the finished product looks to the concept, apart from the rear-hinged back doors of course.

Would probably go for a Turbo S in the 'Mission E Tribute' pre-configuration if the bank balance matched the ambition. :rolleyes:

Back