Porsche Not in FM4 Confirmed (Originally Porsche may be in Forza 4. Check this out).

Either EA has paid them way over the normal asking price or Porsche just wanted somebody else to handle the brands gaming licenses. If that email that was posted here on GTP was legitimate, it read to me like "We've tied ourselves into a deal for too long, but we can't really get out of it" or "We can't be bothered with the hassles of handling the licensing".

If it's a really expensive to acquire I'd be surprised if EA actually keeps being fussy about sub-licensing, the only thing keeping their driving game sales figures afloat is the sheer amount of games being released. The cost going to become a liability soon I think, rather like SMS.

Forza 3 wasn't allowed to advertise Porsche. The ICE was allowed to be released, but the photo of the GT3 RS wasn't actually supposed to.

Not sure what the Hot Holidays has to do with anything. It wasn't announced until after Forza 3's release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7cCC5Yuh2o
Well you can see that EA still had something going here as the Porsche is only shown for about 5 seconds and that's it. All other cars get a decent showing.

The spoiler isn't large. The side of it is just the sidemirror. Looks to be a Turbo/Turbo S. Ruf RT roadster is a good guess too since the deployed wing isn't body colored. Only time will tell. Forza never disappoints. Apart from the kids that crash you online for the lulz

Any pictures of a Porsche with the wing deployed?

Looking right now...

This is a 997.1, but same spoiler. The pic seems to be showing a 997.2

pic.aspx

What exactly is your point? The game was already released by the time Hot Holidays was announced. Porsche's deal with T10 wouldn't have mattered anyway b/c it was only in effect til' FM3's release.

You sure about that?

This is a 997.1, but same spoiler. The pic seems to be showing a 997.2

Pic removed to prevent congestion. See original post for picture.

Thanks for that. That is definitely the wing I see, I just wonder why the in game wing is so dark looking? Maybe it has been painted or something else happened to make it look slightly different. It could be that Turn 10 modeled the bottom side of the spoiler to be black. I am not sure, but it is definitely a red herring.

Any how... 👍

Isn't FM Microsofts own cash cow and largest franchise from their internal development on the X360 platform?
While circumstances may or may not be in place regards showing of Porsche to promote the game. That could be nothing to do with EA but a clause Ferrari or other could have as a condition of their own cars being in the game. It doesn't have to be an EA reason is all Im saying. I can't see Microsoft being in a situation they have what seems every major marque but will not have Porsche particulary as they had it in previous games.

If anything I'd guess it is Microsoft who is in control of the Porsche licensce and have done a deal with EA for multi platform titles. However it is quite likely the reason GT hasn't got Porsche is because of Microsoft and a longterm deal being done since even PGR series.

The chance of FM4 not having Porsche is slim, very slim I reckon.
Did you know Bill Gates imported a 959 which wasn't road legal in the USA for 13 years.
Search "Gates959".

Last edited:
If anything I'd guess it is Microsoft who is in control of the Porsche licensce and have done a deal with EA for multi platform titles. However it is quite likely the reason GT hasn't got Porsche is because of Microsoft and a longterm deal being done since even PGR series.

This actually does make sense. It's at least the only reason I can think of why Sony won't get a sublicense from EA. On the other hand, it might be a trade off... If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft has the Ferrari license, EA the Porsche license... So, they might just help each other out, there, leaving Sony out of the whole deal.

If I'm not mistaken the Hot Holidays DLC Pack was released on the 8th of December 2009*. So, yeah, Forza 3 was already released by then.

*The announcement on Xbox.com was made at that day, at least.

I'm regarding the that the deal was only for effect until release because no one knows if that's even true.

Yeah Microsoft does have a deal with EA when they got the Ferrari license from them, but the backlash of only having Ferrari in the 360 version of need for speed was too much. This is why hot pursuit and shift 2 had no Ferrari as it would only be on 360 and would be unfair to those with a PS3. (Anybody notice this gen the only place where you can have a game with Porsche and Ferrari is only on 360.)

Last edited:
(Anybody notice this gen the only place where you can have a game with Porsche and Ferrari is only on 360.)

Yeah, and I'm assuming that MS wouldn't like to see that advantage go to waste, so I'd think they'd be more than willing to try their best to keep a Porsche sub-license.

This actually does make sense. It's at least the only reason I can think of why Sony won't get a sublicense from EA. On the other hand, it might be a trade off... If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft has the Ferrari license, EA the Porsche license... So, they might just help each other out, there, leaving Sony out of the whole deal.

So how did Sony end up with Ferrari?

So how did Sony end up with Ferrari?

Scrap that, I obviously made a mistake there :lol:
Knowing Ferrari, they're probably still in charge of their license themselves. They even are for their F1 cars. it makes you wonder, though, why EA only gets acces to Ferrari on the Xbox.

Then again, I wouldn't be suprised if MS did actually have the license and Sony just paid a crapload of money to get another license from Ferrari/sub-license from MS (even though i don't know why thex would allow that) or something. Otherwise, it might be plausible that EA holds the Porsche license and Ferrari doesn't want to mix their cars with Porsche, so the only way to get both in a game would be by getting a Ferrari sub-license from MS or a Porsche sub-license from EA...

Bottom line is, MS has to have something aside from just money to get the Porsche sub-license from EA. I doubt that, if money was all that was needed, Sony wouldn't have the Porsche license by now.

I doubt Sony has a sub-license as they advertise the hell out of Ferrari. I still think Ferrari doesn't want to sell a license to EA for what they did in Hot Pursuit 2.

I doubt Sony has a sub-license as they advertise the hell out of Ferrari. I still think Ferrari doesn't want to sell a license to EA for what they did in Hot Pursuit 2.

What did they do back then?

But, yeah, if that was the case, it would make sense for EA and MS to trade their sub-licenses. One would have to wonder, though, whether EA would still be willing to do so when they're not putting Ferrari into their games.

On the other hand, who knows what MS could do in order to convince them, being the manufacturer of the Xbox and all that...

"If you don't give us a Porsche license then Need for Speed will not be produced for the Xbox anymore" It's probably a lot more elaborate than that or there's a different understanding. I wish Sony would get off their butts and get the dang license for Porsche already.

You sure about that?
Yes, I am. T10 could not advertise Porsche prior to the release because EA more than likely did not want them to use it as a selling point (see what would happen if GT5 had Porsche & did the same).

Once FM3 was released however, & Porsche was finally confirmed, it wouldn't have made a difference, thus T10 from there on out could reveal whatever they wanted to. It'd probably also wouldn't be a wise decision to say, "We're releasing 6 new cars, but we'll only tell you 5 til' it's released on the marketplace" afterwards, only to find out it's a Porsche; MS isn't that stupid.

I think that EA somehow HAS to give MS a Porsche sub-license. I believe that MS is one of their major commercial partners, via XBOX and Windows, which are very important platforms for them.

I just can't imaging EA saying: "Screw you MS"...

Who'll lose much more?

If the Porsche thing on Forza 4 depends on EA's approval, we can almost count on it.

Right?

Chad Esposito
I think that EA somehow HAS to give MS a Porsche sub-license. I believe that MS is one of their major commercial partners, via XBOX and Windows, which are very important platforms for them.

Who'll lose much more?

If the Porsche thing on Forza 4 depends on EA's approval, we can almost count on it.

Right?

Good point 👍 But if it works like that then why doesnt Sony do the same thing?

Guess MS is a bigger commercial partner asking for "second hand exclusivity", or Kaz is just dreaming about something else... Who knows...

That would make sense, I guess. The Xbox still has a larger crowd/more consoles sold, even if the difference isn't as big as it once was... And MS screwing EA out of the PC as well would hurt them rather bad, I think.

That's two MS platforms vs. one Sony platform there, so yeah, I think you're on to something.

Who'll lose much more?

Right?
EA is one of the largest publishers in the gaming industry. MS needs EA to make games for their console more than EA needs the sales on Xbox/Windows; they can fall back on Sony & Nintendo. Even mobile phones & Apple products.

If MS loses an EA title (esp. a series), it potentially could become 1 less reason to own a Xbox. EA may not make as much as money now that the game isn't on as many systems, but their losses will still be lessened by those who can just purchase the game on the other console/s instead.

There's too much to risk over 1 car manufacturer & if EA has the contract, they control it's use, then. Trying to make them "obligated" into giving it to MS would just tick EA off.

EA already rolled MS over one major notable event a while back when they gained the right to administer their own service network external from xbox live. They just threatened to make Madden a Sony-only franchise and all it took was one yearly iteration for MS to fold under the pressure.

"MS entertainment / devices" is not exactly the same thing as when you talk about "MS". Same as "SCE" isn't exactly the same thing as "Sony". So when you see people resort to pulling the entire market cap of the parent into things it's much more amusing than it is relevent to what that division will actually be able to do.

Microsoft have an exclusive Ferrari license for Xbox and PC and their sub license (which EA previously had for Shift 1) was taken up by Atari for Test Drive Unlimited 2, that game offered a selection of Ferraris on Xbox bar the 458 Italia, as ordered by Microsoft.

Now Shift 2 had plans to include Ferrari cars (data listed in its code) so I'm guessing EA got pissed at Microsoft for dealing with Atari instead of them, so took the Porsche sub license away forcing Microsoft to use RUF.

EA UK, June 2010:

Porsche exclusive to Need for Speed

Sony (PS3, PSP) and Atari (PS3, Wii, 3DS) both have the Ferrari license.

Last edited:
Whatever McLaren...

They are huge commercial partners first than any other thing.

A business is about making money, as far as I know...

Last edited:
EA is one of the largest publishers in the gaming industry. MS needs EA to make games for their console more than EA needs the sales on Xbox/Windows; they can fall back on Sony & Nintendo. Even mobile phones & Apple products.

If MS loses an EA title (esp. a series), it potentially could become 1 less reason to own a Xbox. EA may not make as much as money now that the game isn't on as many systems, but their losses will still be lessened by those who can just purchase the game on the other console/s instead.

There's too much to risk over 1 car manufacturer & if EA has the contract, they control it's use, then. Trying to make them "obligated" into giving it to MS would just tick EA off.

Both EA and MS can live without eachother but its will be a lose-lose situation. Games have become very expensive to make, especially the 360/PS3/PC ones, thats why they have to port them in those 3 platforms to have more potencial clients, EA abandoning MS will be just shooting themself in the foot because the loose almost the half of their posible customers, also will let activision will completely the war of call of duty vs Battlefield.

So is not as simple like you put it, both will lose millions and millions of dollars for a stupid thing.

Microsoft have an exclusive Ferrari license for Xbox and PC and their sub license (which EA previously had for Shift 1) was taken up by Atari for Test Drive Unlimited 2, that game offered a selection of Ferraris on Xbox bar the 458 Italia, as ordered by Microsoft.

Now Shift 2 had plans to include Ferrari cars (data listed in its code) so I'm guessing EA got pissed at Microsoft for dealing with Atari instead of them, so took the Porsche sub license away forcing Microsoft to use RUF.

EA UK, June 2010:

Sorry but i think you are just assuming things, i dont believe for a momment that MS chose Atari with a so so game over EA with the NFS series, need for speed easily win in both critical acclaim and more important: in sales (which end up in money for MS).

Theres must be other explanation, i cant figure it out but theres must be other issues there, especially when Shift 1 had a Ferrari DLC while PS3 didnt.

Last edited:
Back