Porsche pack 2 March 2018

• Thread starter MarcoM
  • 398 comments
Yes, agreed - it is superb!

I hope the care that they have put into it signals an intention to fill that category with top quality cars for it to race against starting with a Ferrari 512M. Although it has plenty of liveries - and they really are excellent ones - it would be a shame if we had to race it on its own.

It would have been nice to race multi-class with the 908 and 917K together, however for some reason SMS only included a version of that without headlights and have put the 908 in with a mass of older cars which it didn't race with.

We really need either custom championships or a way of selecting or eliminating cars from groups as the historic classes are becoming a bit messy.

It´s been a while since I last checked the forum, but once again, you are so right.

The authenticity of the 908 is lacking...I didn´t expect that class with it. As I´ve read, the demand for the 512 (M or S) is higher than I thought....I hope that this is a good omen. Couple of months to go before we find out.

One would think SMS would want to fix the DLC as soon as possible, since it is getting all the attention of being a new release. Are people really going to flock to buy something that's known to be broken in some ways?

Exactly. I also believe these cars have been in the game since version 4.00 was released, so it's not like there hasn't been plenty of time to finish a good patch. It appears not though.

I was looking forward to having fun with the 958/78 (my favorite 935 and Group 5) and the 959, but the long wait for a turbo fix is getting truly weird.

I got the impression that the 908/03 hs the same cockpit and outboard sound as the Ferrari f40 LM....that´s weird...they both have Racing V8´s with small capacity but that is an oddity because in real life they don´t sound alike...Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes it does it seems they copy pasted the f40 lm sound into the porsche 908. While carrera gt has its sound copy pasted from the huracan.

Last edited:
Yes it does it seems they copy pasted the f40 lm sound into the porsche 908. While carrera gt has its sound copy pasted from the hurcan.
That was a disappointment as well....That high v10 shriek was replaced with what I thought was either an Audi R8 or a lambo as you say. Hope they will fix it, those cars are definitely worth it.

That was a disappointment as well....That high v10 shriek was replaced with what I thought was either an Audi R8 or a lambo as you say. Hope they will fix it, those cars are definitely worth it.

And considering we're choosing to pay extra for the cars. :banghead:

I got the impression that the 908/03 hs the same cockpit and outboard sound as the Ferrari f40 LM....that´s weird...they both have Racing V8´s with small capacity but that is an oddity because in real life they don´t sound alike...Has anyone else noticed this?

The Porsche isn't a V8, but has a boxer flat 8 - the cockpit sound in the game sounds ok to me and has an air cooled tone. I can't remember the F40, but it should sound different being a turbocharged and water cooled V8.

The Porsche isn't a V8, but has a boxer flat 8 - the cockpit sound in the game sounds ok to me and has an air cooled tone. I can't remember the F40, but it should sound different being a turbocharged and water cooled V8.

Flat 8 of course! Sorry...
In the cockpit you can definitely hear a turbo wastegate chirping away in the 908...that´s where I was first caught with surprise. By comparison it became clear that the noise is directly copied.

Flat 8 of course! Sorry...
In the cockpit you can definitely hear a turbo wastegate chirping away in the 908...that´s where I was first caught with surprise. By comparison it became clear that the noise is directly copied.
I feel as though the F40 sound could work alright as a starting point, however it needs a little tweaking in my opinion. The shifts could do with being a lot more pronounced as well as the sounds upon deceleration. The overall engine note could also do with being raspier. The 917 may also benefit from having some of these tweaks, especially on upshifts and downshifts, although it already sounds great.

I think the 917/10 also needs a louder turbo. You only really hear of ‘puff’ when changing gear at the moment.

Sorry about this being really nitpicky, I’m a bit of a sound nut.

Last edited:
Two or three of the cars in the latest DLC don't work. People have talked about a workaround
but I cannot get around it.
Not sure if you've gotten the workaround to work for you yet, but I've been able to get the turbos working in the effected Porsches by restarting the game first, the selecting the Porsche by car class, then entering the race. Hopefully you're able to get it working. I was much happier when I finally figured it out. And once I got the 959's turbo working, it continued working after shutting down for the evening, and coming back to it another day. Good luck.

Not sure if you've gotten the workaround to work for you yet, but I've been able to get the turbos working in the effected Porsches by restarting the game first, the selecting the Porsche by car class, then entering the race. Hopefully you're able to get it working. I was much happier when I finally figured it out. And once I got the 959's turbo working, it continued working after shutting down for the evening, and coming back to it another day. Good luck.

I've tried this approach multiple times but it doesn't help. The 935/78 worked fine the first time I drove it after installing the DLC but not since then.

I cannot help but feel that this DLC exposes one of PC2's major faults... NOT ENOUGH PLAYTESTING.

The PC2 community found out about the turbo bug within a day (possibly hours or minutes). Why didn't SMS before they released it?

This only makes SMS look either greedy (Give me your money, I might get around to fixing it later, if I feel like it) or incompetent (Playtesting? What's that?!).

As buggy as the game is, surely it has occurred to SMS that delayed release of a perfectly tested product is better than an on-time release of something that further illustrates SMS's inability to get it right?

I cannot help but feel that this DLC exposes one of PC2's major faults... NOT ENOUGH PLAYTESTING.

The PC2 community found out about the turbo bug within a day (possibly hours or minutes). Why didn't SMS before they released it?

This only makes SMS look either greedy (Give me your money, I might get around to fixing it later, if I feel like it) or incompetent (Playtesting? What's that?!).

As buggy as the game is, surely it has occurred to SMS that delayed release of a perfectly tested product is better than an on-time release of something that further illustrates SMS's inability to get it right?
Have you considered that the publishing dates and schedule might be controlled by the publisher and not the developer?

Have you considered that SMS know these dates in advance even if the publisher DOES control updates and DLC launch dates (and using 'might' doesn't convince me you know for sure!) and should plan the playtesting and bugfixing accordingly?

BTW, so far I don't think I've ever heard SMS say that they were FORCED to release a buggy DLC or update by their publisher.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...roken-bugged&p=1486654&viewfull=1#post1486654

Have you considered that SMS know these dates in advance even if the publisher DOES control updates and DLC launch dates (and using 'might' doesn't convince me you know for sure!) and should plan the playtesting and bugfixing accordingly?

BTW, so far I don't think I've ever heard SMS say that they were FORCED to release a buggy DLC or update by their publisher.
I used 'might' because outside of SMS and BN no one knows, so I'm sensible enough to hedge my bets.

I've also been a Sony beta tester for over a decade and work for a software company, knowing about deadlines doesn't make them achievable, not does it make them fixed.

You will also find that the caps lock shouting doesn't really help you put your point across.

GT Planet is a little different to other forums, and a slightly calmer approach will serve you far better.

To quote from that post: "QA should still have caught it, but, well, mistakes happen. We have now updated our internal processes to make sure nothing like this can happen again"

Please bookmark this, so we can discus this "nothing like this can happen again", the next time. The litany list of bugs either unfixed or newly introduced stretches WAY further back than this one incident. I know it's tough to do, but playtesting across all supported platforms is an integral part of customer confidence. We have seen quite a few things that have been 'fixed' for PC before consoles, or didn't appear at all. This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to console issues vs. PC.

I sincerely hope this is really the last time, and nothing like this will ever happen again. But with so many other issues still unfixed on consoles, 'mistakes happen' doesn't really give the console base much confidence.

I love the game, but its buggy nature after six months is hurting adoption. And, especially on consoles, that player base is already a fraction of the PC base.

I used 'might' because outside of SMS and BN no one knows, so I'm sensible enough to hedge my bets.

I've also been a Sony beta tester for over a decade and work for a software company, knowing about deadlines doesn't make them achievable, not does it make them fixed.

You will also find that the caps lock shouting doesn't really help you put your point across.

GT Planet is a little different to other forums, and a slightly calmer approach will serve you far better.

My apologies about the occasional caps lock word. Would underlining a word or phrase be an acceptable way of providing emphasis?

With respect to patches, aren't they on an 'as done' basis? I know that SMS have a timeline for DLC (but I believe that 'Season Pass' type pre-payment is one of the factors that forces rushed release, I'd be happier paying as I go for a finished and bug-free product), but surely patches are released when ready? However, from bugs introduced in patches, 'ready' seems an ill-defined timeframe.

We all have jobs (the adults here, anyway!). Failure at most of them is rarely excused by the customer given a 'mistakes happen' if it happens regularly. Only the future will tell if SMS's poor record with the console side of things "never happen again". I am hoping against hope that it does. 👍

My apologies about the occasional caps lock word. Would underlining a word or phrase be an acceptable way of providing emphasis?
They would be fine, as well as the use of bold.

With respect to patches, aren't they on an 'as done' basis? I know that SMS have a timeline for DLC (but I believe that 'Season Pass' type pre-payment is one of the factors that forces rushed release, I'd be happier paying as I go for a finished and bug-free product), but surely patches are released when ready? However, from bugs introduced in patches, 'ready' seems an ill-defined timeframe.
Yes and no, you will have a timeline for DLC, but for bug fixes you simply can't do that.

Sony and MS also charge for updates, so a developer is limited as to when they can do it unless they have deep pockets, and that's not accounting for the time it takes to get stuff through Sony and MS's approval processes.

We all have jobs (the adults here, anyway!). Failure at most of them is rarely excused by the customer given a 'mistakes happen' if it happens regularly. Only the future will tell if SMS's poor record with the console side of things "never happen again". I am hoping against hope that it does. 👍

7c6bbf73f430a9c2f176484e44a61ef1.jpg

Bugs are a part of development and release, and they are almost impossible to eliminate. Its far from an isolate issue for SMS, take a look at the likes of Bethesda, DICE and even PD and the amount of issues, glitches and bugs they have had at release.

If forum activity is anything to go by, PC base is at least equal to the combined console base!

The vast majority of League chatter is PC.

But if PS4 online participation is equivalent to PC, SMS are in deep trouble! Count the total number of players online at any one time that you can see. I rarely see more than 100 PS4 players in online multiplayer worldwide. Usually far less. Compare that to GT Sport, you can see what a niche game this is...

Thank God for SMS's AI!

I'd be willing to do a head count at a preset time of the PS4 online numbers if a PC player and an XBone player would coordinate with me... Obviously, this won't reflect actual player base, as offline won't show up. But if we assume that the online/offline ratio is possibly similar across platforms, it ought to be a decent guide to the ratio, if not the absolute numbers.

Bugs are a part of development and release, and they are almost impossible to eliminate. Its far from an isolate issue for SMS, take a look at the likes of Bethesda, DICE and even PD and the amount of issues, glitches and bugs they have had at release.

I am without doubt (and a comparison of SMS vs. PD's acknowledged and fixed patch lists will bear out) that PD's buglist is a tiny fraction of SMS's. Even allowing for three platforms, the common buglist across platforms is still huge and SMS have a huge hole to climb out of. Yes I realize that with a far bigger feature list comes a far bigger buglist, but honestly, what's the point of a feature if it doesn't work? After six months, it appears that PC2's core feature (Livetrack2) and its core excuse often used for the poor graphics (comparatively) has only JUST finally been made to work pretty consistently online. The reports of wildly different grip between online players or different seen weather seem to have dried up, thank God! Finally, a reason to feel better about why console graphics are so poor!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...es-Changelog&p=1477811&viewfull=1#post1477811

This is simply the bugfix list from the latest console patch. I'm sorry, but can anyone point me to a bugfix list from SMS that is even as big as one of the sectors in this?

Scaff, I love the game as much as you do. I'm just not as comfortable accepting mediocrity from the coders. If SMS bit off more than they can chew, surely the same litany of coding errors in PC1 should have given them pause in how much they tried to add in PC2?

But if PS4 online participation is equivalent to PC, SMS are in deep trouble! Count the total number of players online at any one time that you can see. I rarely see more than 100 PS4 players in online multiplayer worldwide. Usually far less. Compare that to GT Sport, you can see what a niche game this is...
False. I can see 90 people in a 20 lobby group of those with the CRL on so I
A) Expect there are more than 20 lobbies
B) There are people not using the CRL.

I agree that not as many people are online as GT Sport but to say it's 100 people online on PC1 is wrong.

I am without doubt (and a comparison of SMS vs. PD's acknowledged and fixed patch lists will bear out) that PD's buglist is a tiny fraction of SMS's. Even allowing for three platforms, the common buglist across platforms is still huge and SMS have a huge hole to climb out of. Yes I realize that with a far bigger feature list comes a far bigger buglist, but honestly, what's the point of a feature if it doesn't work? After six months, it appears that PC2's core feature (Livetrack2) and its core excuse often used for the poor graphics (comparatively) has only JUST finally been made to work pretty consistently online. The reports of wildly different grip between online players or different seen weather seem to have dried up, thank God! Finally, a reason to feel better about why console graphics are so poor!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...es-Changelog&p=1477811&viewfull=1#post1477811

This is simply the bugfix list from the latest console patch. I'm sorry, but can anyone point me to a bugfix list from SMS that is even as big as one of the sectors in this?

Scaff, I love the game as much as you do. I'm just not as comfortable accepting mediocrity from the coders. If SMS bit off more than they can chew, surely the same litany of coding errors in PC1 should have given them pause in how much they tried to add in PC2?
The problem with the comparison is that PD have never been ones for detailed patch notes, while SMS's are more akin to the norm you find on PC titles (here for example is an Elite Dangerous patch list), while for PD and GT titles we have threads here that run to multiple pages in which people use trial and error to find all of the stuff that PD have patched but not mentioned publicly at all.

As a result a direct comparisons between the two is unfortunately almost impossible.

At this point, fixing priority number one should be livetrack sync for everyone, and the related to the "overtseer" issue many people may experience if loading setups from other sessions where track and ambient temperature were different to the current.

Then one can only dream for more car packs after the season is over with Ferrari. With the current Pirelli street tyre model, a new pack exclusive of hypercars, some that were left behind like the Lykan and the Apolo, and others seen in games like Driveclub like Koenigsegg Regera; The Onix; Rimac and of course the ruf ctr3 clubsport would be so amazing.

Imagine this last combined with the Isle of man Track. Pure Driveclub but with good tyre physics, just like you can do already in Bannochbrae and a couple of others.

There's also happening sometimes that the front diff settings show as tweakable on rwd cars. Irritates me a little so dangerous xD

False. I can see 90 people in a 20 lobby group of those with the CRL on so I
A) Expect there are more than 20 lobbies
B) There are people not using the CRL.

I agree that not as many people are online as GT Sport but to say it's 100 people online on PC1 is wrong.

I think you missed the reference to online multiplayer, and you missed the 'at any one time'.

Other than full rooms, which drop off of the list until a space opens (honestly, how many of those do you think there are?!), and you can somewhat keep track of those by looking at 15 or slightly less player rooms that suddenly pop up, then quickly disappear as members leave and return.

Now, perhaps I am wrong (there was this one time!) but, how can you race online against other players on console and NOT pop up in the Multiplayer Lobby? Other than being a full room that doesn't show once full (but does until full). Essentially, if you can see a 15 player room until full, watching the lobby for a while, these rooms only add one more player before disappearing. So, hardly significant, wouldn't you think, to the approximate numbers..? I am not counting online TT's (you are on your own).

Please note, I am not using the main online lobby to estimate total players, just how many are online at any one time. Your own number matches mine quite well: 90. Compare that to GTS or Forza, it doesn't bode well. Sport Mode chews up quite a significant portion of the player base in GTS, yet go into the regular online lobbies, set no filter, and see a huge increase over than 100-ish number.

I think SMS is too elitist. It doesn't need to 'dumb down' the game for hardcore players to attract GTS's base, it simply needs to provide lower skill challenges, provide better stock tunes and tire help, and just do a few things to make the game FUN, and leave the higher tier stuff alone. They seem to be under the impression you can't do BOTH a hardcore game and a fun noob-friendly game at the same time. But I think it's a LOT easier to make a hardcore game easier (at the lower levels) than it is to make an arcade game that is fun into a serious sim.

PD have made a grave error. They listened to the hardcore, and unlocked the game progression. You no longer have to do the Sunday Cup or any career stuff to get into high tier cars. Plus they 🤬'd up the handling, dropped the huge car list and did away with most of the good tracks. All SMS have to do to make GT a distant memory is add some hand-holding for the new player, provide a career pathway that starts lower to ease them into the game, and keep them out of the hardest to control cars (like PD used to) until they have at least a modicum of skill (and provide them with this as a goal).

Because, SMS's car list and especially track list, its full time of day/night and weather, its damage system and collision physics, its multiclass, just about EVERYTHING is hugely better than GTS. But they seem to delight in throwing up artificially high entry level challenges. Give the kids more <100hp cars to start off in, make sure they are tuned to perfection, have an automatic tire pressure/track temp aid, GTS's base would flock to this game.

Leave it where it is, it is utterly obvious they won't...

'at any one time'.

Nope. I checked your "at any one time" and that isn't the case at a time. Therefore, your statement has been proven to be incorrect.

Please note, I am not using the main online lobby to estimate total players, just how many are online at any one time. Your own number matches mine quite well: 90. Compare that to GTS or Forza, it doesn't bode well. Sport Mode chews up quite a significant portion of the player base in GTS, yet go into the regular online lobbies, set no filter, and see a huge increase over than 100-ish number.

Yes. And my method was to go to the lobby, add the 20 up in the lobby listing. I was in the CRL only section and there are likely to be more than 20 lobbies at one time. When I refresh, 99% of the time, there are different lobbies. Note this does not count those who do not use the CRL either. I'm not estimating total players either. Just those using the public lobby.

TL;DR: 90 was based on 20 CRL lobbies of which can be more than 20 lobbies and does not include the non-CRL lobbies.

I think SMS is too elitist. It doesn't need to 'dumb down' the game for hardcore players to attract GTS's base, it simply needs to provide lower skill challenges, provide better stock tunes and tire help, and just do a few things to make the game FUN, and leave the higher tier stuff alone. They seem to be under the impression you can't do BOTH a hardcore game and a fun noob-friendly game at the same time. But I think it's a LOT easier to make a hardcore game easier (at the lower levels) than it is to make an arcade game that is fun into a serious sim.

Yes. I've seen this before. You don't need to repeat yourself.

I finally got to try the 959 S with its boost thanks to the workaround of selecting the car, saving, then rebooting the game. It's really great, a new favorite. :) 👍

Back