Porsche Panamera

• Thread starter G.T
  • 300 comments
But the Panamera doesn't compete with the 7-series, S-Class or A8. It rivals the 6-series Grand Coupe, Merc CLS and the Audi A7.

If you take the highest performance versions of those cars and compare them to their equivalent SUV's (all using roughly the same power plants) they're all a similar price within £5-6k. Two times out of the three, the SUV is the more pricey of the two. None have the £20k difference that the Panamera and Cayenne do.

Also to consider is the Panamera doesn't have a super stripped 4cyl turbo base model like the other German full sizers

I'd like to see a 4S with some extra boost vs the Turbo. Both engines sound amazing, but that V6 is something. Wouldn't it be something if Porsche could make an engine without displacement tax considerations? The germans would kill people with big V8s.

I'd be interested in seeing how much boost it's already pushing considering the CR of the V6 is 10.5:1 which is already high for a boosted engine.

But the Panamera doesn't compete with the 7-series, S-Class or A8. It rivals the 6-series Grand Coupe, Merc CLS and the Audi A7.

If you take the highest performance versions of those cars and compare them to their equivalent SUV's (all using roughly the same power plants) they're all a similar price within £5-6k. Two times out of the three, the SUV is the more pricey of the two. None have the £20k difference that the Panamera and Cayenne do.
In the US the Panamera has a long wheelbase and most certainly competes with the 7, S and A8. If the new one is shorter that might change.

In the US the Panamera has a long wheelbase and most certainly competes with the 7, S and A8. If the new one is shorter that might change.
The long wheelbase variants are the $125,000 4S Executive, the $161,000 Turbo Executive, & the $264,000 Exclusive Series, and are nothing more than niche vehicles for Porsche because almost nobody has a need for a long wheelbase Turbo & the Exclusive is limited to 100 units. But, if you were to compare, the 7 Series isn't priced anywhere near those cars. Audi's closest competitor is the S8 Plus at $115,000; the A8 L at a $138,000 with its big W12 engine may be a bit too refined against the 4S & isn't a performance saloon like the Turbo.

The nearest S-Class vehicle is the $143,000 S63 AMG near the Turbo; similar performance figures, but still a $20,000 price difference to overcome. The S500 is a different breed of car for $170,000, and the Maybach is not performance car up against the Turbo & like the S65 AMG, it's also too far under priced against the Exclusive Series.

Long wheelbase luxury sedans are already rare, but you'll see far more with the German big 3 because a long wheelbase car fits the luxury market they target. Panameras are very nice and all, but the model range isn't molded for the luxury demographic. The Porsche is something you'd want to drive every day because that's how Porsche's philosophy goes as a driver-oriented brand. The 7-Series, A8, & S-Class are all cars that could easily be enjoyed from any seat inside.

I'm warming up more to this design. It's just the new design of the rear part of the side windows. Just looks kinda..... Eh.

OK, Mr. Cheeky, but the middle one isn't directional and the top one is a defroster. I don't understand the middle vent at all. Are we bowling here?

badjim_medium.0.gif

It's got TOUCH SCREEN VENT DIRECTION CONTROLS! :eek:

GIF-2.0.gif

Even small changes, like normal colored brakes, make the Panamera look so much better!

My coworker and I were talking about it this weekend, & we both agreed this is the best looking 4-door on the market now. I don't know what his previous pick was, but I didn't think anything would surpass the M6GC personally.

I think both Panamera versions look fabulous now.

GC is also a great looking car 👍

With the Panamera model turning 10 this year, Porsche's making a special edition for its anniversary.

hardcore-porsche-panamera-10th-anniversary-edition-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100720975_h.jpg

hardcore-porsche-panamera-10th-anniversary-edition-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100720977_h.jpg

hardcore-porsche-panamera-10th-anniversary-edition-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100720978_h.jpg

The tester features a Panamera Turbo badge at the back but the car is far from stock. Clearly visible are an extended front splitter, aero flics, huge carbon-ceramic brake rotors, and a modified rear wing. It also sounds much louder than a stock Turbo.

According to GT Spirit's sources, the car is a skunkworks project to celebrate this year's 10th anniversary of the launch of the Panamera nameplate—and it reportedly lapped the 'Ring in a time of 7:11 during testing.

Porsche already announced a 10th anniversary Panamera earlier in October, though this is really just a mild appearance package. This mystery prototype reportedly benefits from around 550 pounds of weight-saving mods, plus a roll cage, extra-wide wheels with street-legal Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires, and of course more power. We hear output could be as high as 750 horsepower. For reference, the standard Panamera Turbo has 550 hp and the Turbo S E-Hybrid has 680 hp thanks to its electric kick.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...at-the-ring-could-be-10th-anniversary-special

Back