Porsche Panamera

• Thread starter G.T
  • 300 comments
Alright, the quad lamps are cool, but can we have a 928 now? Please?

:confused: What? That interior looks amazing! If they work then it will be even better. Nothing wrong with touch sensitive buttons, it's just like tapping a GPS on regular cars.

You do know that design is not just how something looks, but how it functions? And I don't like touchscreens in cars either. The best solutions are plenty of buttons (Porsche) or a multi-function controller (BMW, Audi).

I love the batman wing. My only concern is where the hell have the AC vents gone? I need cold air blowing in my face. I honestly hope they haven't taken that away. "Climate control" is not desirable here. You need freezing air blasting you in the face when it's 100 degrees outside.

I love the batman wing. My only concern is where the hell have the AC vents gone? I need cold air blowing in my face. I honestly hope they haven't taken that away. "Climate control" is not desirable here. You need freezing air blasting you in the face when it's 100 degrees outside.

uDUs52h.jpg

I don't get the pricing on the Panamera.

It's a similar size, internally, to the Cayenne and fits within a similar market segment to it, one being the premium large SUV, the other the premium large sports saloon. They use, or will use, the same range of engines. Yet there's a considerable price difference between the two.

A V6 petrol '4S' Cayenne is £63k - the similar '4S' Panamera is £88k. The V8 Turbo Cayenne is £94k yet the V8 Turbo Panamera is £113k. You're paying a £19-25k premium on the Panamera over the Cayenne.

It's a similar size, internally, to the Cayenne and fits within a similar market segment to it, one being the premium large SUV, the other the premium large sports saloon. They use, or will use, the same range of engines. Yet there's a considerable price difference between the two.

A V6 petrol '4S' Cayenne is £63k - the similar '4S' Panamera is £88k. The V8 Turbo Cayenne is £94k yet the V8 Turbo Panamera is £113k. You're paying a £19-25k premium on the Panamera over the Cayenne.

The Panamera doesn't share a platform with any other VAG product unlike the Cayenne.

Sure, but in this day an age of platform-sharing, it doesn't really mean much.

Um... Did I not just say the Panamera DOES NOT share a platform with any other product?

If you think being able to spread the cost of development across multiple products/production facilities doesn't have any cost advantage over not doing so then I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Last edited:
Um... Did I not just say the Panamera DOES NOT share a platform with any other product?

If you think being able to spread the cost of development across multiple products/production facilities doesn't have any cost advantage over not doing so then I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Porsche have been quoted as saying that they are happy to share the new Panamera's platform with other VW Group brands. The new Bentley Conti and Flying Spur are set to be underpinned by it. They'll also share it's new V8.

Porsche have been quoted as saying that they are happy to share the new Panamera's platform with other VW Group brands. The new Bentley Conti and Flying Spur are set to be underpinned by it.

So cars that are much more expensive even than the Panamera. In that case I stand corrected, but the point being that the Cayenne's platform was developed to underpin cheaper VAG offerings, and that, in addition to it an it's platform mates selling in much higher numbers is why the Cayenne is cheaper (while ignoring the obvious like cheaper base engines etc)

OK, Mr. Cheeky, but the middle one isn't directional and the top one is a defroster. I don't understand the middle vent at all. Are we bowling here?

OK, Mr. Cheeky, but the middle one isn't directional and the top one is a defroster. I don't understand the middle vent at all. Are we bowling here?

Enhance!

horatio-caine-csi.jpg

There MAY be side/side movement in the lower vent

Porsche_Panamera_II_2016_Sitzprobe_1200x800_2671.jpg

And you can see here that the top vent is pointed at the backwards into the cabin, and also has side/side movement.

rp_panamera_g2_33.jpg

Whether or not one can actually get air blowing onto your face? Who knows.

That is one sweet looking cabin but touch buttons are always a nightmare to operate because you can't just find them with your finger.

I'm sure that central air vent has a side to side louver function but it's probably electrically moved. If not well...

:lol:

Bat-wing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to each his/her own. I don't find the new Panamera to be as elegant as the previous model, but I do like the more aggressive look to it. The headlight arrangement and the openings up front just offer a different sort of aggression. And I'll admit- that rear wing is sick! It transforms nicely. We've seen several rear wings left up or down either at higher speeds or into braking. So the newer Panamera is more aggressive and also a bit more dynamic.

The Porsche Panamera is a car you're either going to love or loathe- just like a handful of other cars. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, so to speak. I actually like the Panamera even if others are more like, "who needs a four-door Porsche?" Heck, you bought the Cayenne and the Macan (both of which I also like)! I bet people were sold on the Panamera much like those who were sold on the Aston Martin Rapide. It would be cool to see the new Panamera in the flesh. Considering how many times I've spotted Porsches here in the Houston-Galveston area, it probably won't be long until I see one of these newer Panameras.

Any large SUV costs less than the same manufacturer's luxury saloon.
Isn't it usually the other way round? I was always under the impression that manufacturers charge a premium for their SUVs, and looking at BMW, Merc, Audi and even Jaguar that seems to be the case, with the SUVs commanding an (at least) £3k premium over an 'equivalent' saloon.

E28
Isn't it usually the other way round? I was always under the impression that manufacturers charge a premium for their SUVs, and looking at BMW, Merc, Audi and even Jaguar that seems to be the case, with the SUVs commanding an (at least) £3k premium over an 'equivalent' saloon.

Are you comparing the SUVs to the flagship limos? The Q7 is more less expensive than the A8, ditto for X5 vs 7 Series, GLE or GLS vs S class. I don't know what segment the F Pace falls into, so I'm not going to compare it.

Last edited:
In other words... screw with the Porsche Panamera- at your own risk. Those are some quite formidable vehicles this thing is faster than.

This car should be classified as a sports coupe. The same way a CLS, RS5, GT BMWs and the like, want to name a fastback sedan a coupe.

Are you comparing the SUVs to the flagship limos? The Q7 is more expensive than the A8, ditto for X5 vs 7 Series, GLE or GLS vs S class. I don't know what segment the F Pace falls into, so I'm not going to compare it.
Exactly, so the Panamera being so much more expensive than the Cayenne is pretty much the opposite of what the rest of the market is doing. And surely it can only harm Panamera sales, although at the benefit of the Cayenne.

E28
Exactly, so the Panamera being so much more expensive than the Cayenne is pretty much the opposite of what the rest of the market is doing. And surely it can only harm Panamera sales, although at the benefit of the Cayenne.

Bollocks, I messed it up. The Q7 is LESS expensive than the A8, same goes for the rest. Brainfart.

Audi:
Q7: £50 175
A8: £63 520

BMW:
X5: £49 915
7: £64 530

Mercedes:
GLE: £56 050
GLS: £67 940
S: £69 215

Last edited:
I don't see what the hubbub is about.

Pricing your luxury saloon above your SUV is common industry practice. While there is a growing market for ultra luxury SUVs, most captains of industry still prefer the likes of the S-Class and 7-Series for reasons of image, and they're priced accordingly.

Back