Porsche Panamera

• Thread starter G.T
  • 300 comments
Bit of a catch 22 for me...

Firstly, this and the Cayenne are not proper Porsches... they just look wrong! I'm sure it will be fantastic to drive and will kick the arse of the M5, but the styling clues that work on the 911 and the Cayman just don't translate.

Secondly, I know that without the Cayenne (and the Panamera in the future) Porsche couldn't survive long-term. The Cayenne is the 'car' that has made Porsche's fortune and both funded the purchase of VW and the creation of such wonderful things as the GT3 and GT3RS.

But I'll take a Maseratti QP please.

I'll reserve my judgement on how it looks when i see one without all the test masking. I have a feeling it will look a lot less frumpy out of disguise. I can forgive Porsche for making a supersaloon easier then i can them making an SUV.

Eh the Cayenne isn't all bad, I mean Lamborghini made the LM002 (best ever IMO) which wasn't all too popular, and all they make otherwise is sports cars. The Cayenne is at least pretty popular seeing that it's actually a good on-road vehicle and is just as fast as the 911.

I'll reserve my judgement on how it looks when i see one without all the test masking. I have a feeling it will look a lot less frumpy out of disguise. I can forgive Porsche for making a supersaloon easier then i can them making an SUV.

I trust that Porsche won't design a thoroughly ugly car. I'm thinking too that it's the disguise and other pre-production bits that aren't making it too much of a looker too.

Simply put the absolute ugliest automobile to come out of Germany in my lifetime. The Maserati GranTurismo's only true competitor presently for its ugliness. Absolutely 100% abhorrent. Sales will NOT take off due to its styling. Sad.

Jalopnik has a gallery of the first major spot of the Panamera in California...

medium_2957462631_779e56bd58_o.jpg

medium_2957462377_7034bbddc9_o.jpg

medium_2957462301_9a1b63aec2_o.jpg

medium_2958302782_3c4dd128db_o.jpg

medium_2957461943_e2b6316860_o.jpg

I'm calling Shenanigans on the rear, they're making it look ugly to throw us off...

and now, I'm calling WAGON!!!!

I mean, that one does look quite wagon like...particularly from the rear.

Kinda like the old Volvo P1800ES?

26brake_slidetwo.jpg

You can tell that they're purposely making the rear window look longer than it actually is, and obviously, they've got the tail-lights taped up as well. They score a 95% on the front 3/4s of the car, but I'm still waiting to give a full grade to the rear.

I'm thinking that they either to need make it into a saloon,a CLS-type thing, or a proper wagon with a steeper angle at the rear.

That's true: right now it's trying to be a Wagosedanoupe, and ends up looking like more of a jellybean than the '96 Taurus.

The main problem is the idea of grafting on the 911's bulbous back.

medium_2957461943_e2b6316860_o.jpg

I'm calling Shenanigans on the rear, they're making it look ugly to throw us off...

Agreed. I think the rear window area will sink down to below the rear lights Boxster/Caymen style. Once all the packing has been removed below the rear lights, behind the rear wheels and also along the sides it will look much more lithe, especially when all the masking at the front goes and the full 2nd gen Cayanne-style grill is revealed.

Well done porsche, I no longer would rather pour kerosene in my eyes than look at your 4 door design..

It's a good looking car, I think. I'm pretty impressed with the way Porsche pulled off the rear end, although it may be a little goofy. I really do like that profile though. And those LED running lights look pretty terrible when they're on.

I would definitely have one in my garage though.

It looks more like a station-wagon to me than a sedan... because of the rear-end's shape.
BTW, didn't Porsche have a four-door prototype of its 911 back in the 60's?

Last edited:
I like it since I thought it would be much uglier. Hmm...maybe that was Porsche's strategy.

The side-view looks a bit weird, perhaps too long. But I'm pretty impressed with how the rear turned out. That dark-blue color up there seems to really suit the car.

The features look excellent. The shape is horrendous.

Back