Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,440 comments
So I'm going to go ahead and quote myself from back in May of this year.....

Got my first new car. 2018 Volkswagen GTI SE.
60017833_10219601401764999_6669769758952390656_n.jpg

Just signed the lease papers on her. I'll be picking her up next week once I get the final paperwork stuff squared away.
View attachment 820356

She's a 2019 Toyota Corolla XSE with the optional mud guards, roof wing and some other option that I don't remember.

👍👍 Both of you!

It’s somewhat ironic that you both recently purchased and posted pictures of these two cars. They’re both on my (future) list as potentials; one a bit more practical, the other a bit more emotional.

For the last 6 years, my daily driver has been a 2010 Honda Fit (called the Jazz in other markets). I bought it used and it’s been very reliable. It’s not the most exciting car in the world (OK--that’s putting it mildly—it’s an underpowered, no frills econobox) but I’m fortunate enough to have a fun car for the weekend as well as a dedicated track car. So the Fit is basic transportation back and forth to work. And it’s pretty economical so I feel like it helps me make up for my environmental footprint (although not as much as I would have hoped, given it’s tiny n/a 1500 cc engine. In fairness, it is almost 10 years old now and technology has moved on.) I have a rather long commute (about 90 miles, 145 km) round trip every day so I spend a lot of time inside of it. It’s not horrible but it’s not the greatest place to be. The Fit also serves as my wife’s car when I use her Highlander as a tow vehicle for the FRS. She’s OK with it but I wouldn’t say she’s a ‘fan’.

In the end, it’s not really worth it for me to have a “nice” car or an expensive car just to go back and forth to work. Because no matter what I drive, it’s going to have >100,000 miles in less than 5 years. And in many ways, driving the Fit is somewhat liberating. It now has about 135,000 miles and while it’s free of rust, just from normal driving, especially in the winter, it’s suffered more than it’s share of rock induced dings and dents and chips and cracks. And when it happens, I sort of shrug, say “oh well” and keep on going. Where as it would probably bother me a lot more with a nicer car. And I can’t help but smile in my parking lot at work where all of my “neighbors” have pristine BMWs or Audis or Infinitis or Mercedes or Teslas. No doubt they probably think plenty of me and on more than one occasion the building has called to ask if it’s really my car in the reserve spot or if somebody may have parked there by accident. And I always assume it’s one of the other tenants who has complained. Once in a blue moon I’ll bring the Porsche which probably confuses them to no end but I really couldn’t care less what they think of me based on what’s in my parking spot. Welcome to the corporate world. :lol:

That said, after 6 years, I am getting kind of tired of the Fit. I’m estimating that I'll have well over 175,000 miles (280,000 km) in another 2 years. Maybe it will be fine, it has been so far, but it will also be 12 years old and to my way of thinking, at that point, for a vehicle that takes so much daily abuse, the car will be starting to live on borrowed time. Frankly, I’m already itching to trade up now. It has no bluethooth, which is a hassle when I spend so much time in the car and want to take or make calls. There’s an issue with the stereo where it loses the wired connection to my phone every few minutes, so no audio books. And in less than a year I’m probably going to need brakes and rotors all around, as well as a new set of tires. So I’m thinking about maybe even trading up around this time next year.

And two of the cars I’ve been thinking of are the Toyota Corolla XSE (which I consider a much nicer, upscale, more modern version of the Fit) and the VW GTI, the quintessential and mature hot hatch . It’s a lifetime ago but I owned 2 GTis in the distant past. I like the platform. And it’s a boon that VW now offers a 7 year warranty. I think in a sense I would prefer to be driving the GTI. It handles better, superior chassis refinement, it has more power, and with a light foot, it’s actually almost as economical......

Snip. Well, I made the decision. And it came quicker than I expected. Part of the reason was because I realized that I would have to replace both the pads, rotors and tires on the Fit by mid fall at the latest. And partially because I probably needed some major service within a few months there after. And because lately I've had to make a LOT of business related calls while driving and using earbuds (dangerous when you can't hear surrounding traffic) or speakerphone, just wasn't cutting it. And knowing that the clock was winding down on the particular model and color I wanted, I realized I would have to act quickly if I had any chance of still nabbing one...

48507503967_f8d5c02a7d_h.jpg

The new daily. A 2019 Golf GTI "Rabbit Edition". Essentially, it's a GTI SE, minus the sunroof, leather interior, upgraded infotainment. But it also has the upgraded remapped engine (230-bhp), the limited slip differential and the brakes from the Golf R. I didn't really care about the former, but I wanted the ladder. And it has a very cool 1980s style 'retro' pattern on the seats. (on purpose). And it's a lot like the VW GTI (Golf 2) I owned....hmm, more than 25 years ago. And some unique bespoke colored parts. Since, like the Fit, my wife will be driving it while I'm towing with her Highlander, I went for the DSG (now a 7 speed) and I don't have any regrets since I'm increasingly sitting in traffic for a large portion of my commute. I've only driven it once, but I'm thrilled with the car. I took it easy, following the recommended break-in procedures. But the trip home from the dealer netted me fuel economy numbers that would have been difficult to match in the Fit. :dopey: And I paid to upgrade the standard 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage to go all the way through to 120,000 miles.

The car is currently getting the front end wrapped in XPEL. So hopefully most of my concerns about winter driving and reliability will be alleviated. I'm excited. I figured I would like the car. But after one drive, I really love it.

Last edited:
So I'm going to go ahead and quote myself from back in May of this year.....

Snip. Well, I made the decision. And it came quicker than I expected. Part of the reason was because I realized that I would have to replace both the pads, rotors and tires on the Fit by mid fall at the latest. And partially because I probably needed some major service within a few months there after. And because lately I've had to make a LOT of business related calls while driving and using earbuds (dangerous when you can't hear surrounding traffic) or speakerphone, just wasn't cutting it. And knowing that the clock was winding down on the particular model and color I wanted, I realized I would have to act quickly if I had any chance of still nabbing one...

48507503967_f8d5c02a7d_h.jpg

The new daily. A 2019 Golf GTI "Rabbit Edition". Essentially, it's a GTI S, minus the sunroof, leather interior, upgraded infotainment. But it also has the upgraded engine (230-bhp), the limited slip differential and the brakes from the Golf R. I didn't really care about the former, but I wanted the ladder. And it has a very cool 1980s style 'retro' pattern on the seats. (on purpose). And it's a lot like the VW GTI (Golf 2) I owned....hmm, more than 25 years ago. And some unique bespoke colored parts. Since, like the Fit, my wife will be driving it while I'm towing with her Highlander, I went for the DSG (now a 7 speed) and I don't have any regrets since I'm increasingly sitting in traffic for a large portion of my commute. I've only driven it once, but I'm thrilled with the car. I took it easy, following the recommended break-in procedures. But the trip home from the dealer netted me fuel economy numbers that would have been difficult to match in the Fit. :dopey: And I paid to upgrade the standard 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage to go all the way through to 120,000 miles.

The car is currently getting the front end wrapped in XPEL. So hopefully most of my concerns about winter driving and reliability will be alleviated. I'm excited. I figured I would like the car. But after one drive, I really love it.

Congrats on the GTI! Jealous of the Cornflower Blue, it was the original color that I wanted, but the Rabbit Edition was too "new" for my pricing at the time. I can definitely understand the part of making calls, with all the new hands free phone laws being introduced, I couldn't risk it with my 2002 Lexus IS300 having nothing bit a cassette adapter. Having Android Auto kind of won me over with the GTI and having the ability to get on the highway without worrying about struggling to get up to speed was some of my factors. I never really would have considered owning a VW, but the warranty was a nice assurance. (Good timing on your part too as they seem to be reducing the warranty for 2020)

Congrats on the GTI! Jealous of the Cornflower Blue, it was the original color that I wanted, but the Rabbit Edition was too "new" for my pricing at the time. I can definitely understand the part of making calls, with all the new hands free phone laws being introduced, I couldn't risk it with my 2002 Lexus IS300 having nothing bit a cassette adapter. Having Android Auto kind of won me over with the GTI and having the ability to get on the highway without worrying about struggling to get up to speed was some of my factors. I never really would have considered owning a VW, but the warranty was a nice assurance. (Good timing on your part too as they seem to be reducing the warranty for 2020)

👍:) Thank you. I really love the Cornflower blue. And I think it looks even better in person than it does in pictures. I even love the black wheels on the Rabbit Edition. So that, the fact that they are almost completely sold out, (I think VW only produced 1,000 CB GTIs in the US) the unknown quantity of what the Golf VIII will end up being, it's availability, it's reliability, it's price, and the fact that, as you mentioned, VW is doing away with the 72,000 mile warranty for 2020, kind of pushed me to buying this car a year earlier than I really wanted to or expected to.

And aside from all of the above, almost 30 years ago exactly, my father purchased a 1989 16V Golf II GTI in a limited bright blue color. It's not quite the same as Cornflower Blue--it was darker and a bit less, well, blue. I have a lot of fond memories of that car. My dad recently passed away and I've been full of sappy nostalgic thoughts and suddenly I wanted the Cornflower Blue more than I can explain. :(

EDIT: This isn't the car, but it was the same year and color as this one...

BBM2_zps451f644f.jpeg

Last edited:
The family van:
IMG_4881.JPG

Dad went all the way to Sydney to buy it about 6 years ago. Done over 100,000KM. It's converted to fit 2 electric wheelchairs as both me and my brother have the same muscle condition. The conversion process was huge, as the interior had to be gutted to lower the floor, remove the seats, add new seatbelts and a ramp. The fuel tank had to be changed and the exhaust re-routed as well. Almost cost as much as the van itself. What's more is that the van has hydraulics so the rear can be dropped down. I am not making this up.

Dad went all the way to Sydney to buy it about 6 years ago. Done over 100,000KM. It's converted to fit 2 electric wheelchairs as both me and my brother have the same muscle condition. The conversion process was huge, as the interior had to be gutted to lower the floor, remove the seats, add new seatbelts and a ramp. The fuel tank had to be changed and the exhaust re-routed as well. Almost cost as much as the van itself. What's more is that the van has hydraulics so the rear can be dropped down. I am not making this up.

You're not.. We have a customer at work doing the same kinds of conversions to T5s and now T6s, the amount of labour that goes into a conversion like this is insane. As well as the development process involved for the different equipment (hand controls, foot controls etc). You can easily double the cost of a well equipped T6 with a conversion like this.

And aside from all of the above, almost 30 years ago exactly, my father purchased a 1989 16V Golf II GTI in a limited bright blue color. It's not quite the same as Cornflower Blue--it was darker and a bit less, well, blue. I have a lot of fond memories of that car. My dad recently passed away and I've been full of sappy nostalgic thoughts and suddenly I wanted the Cornflower Blue more than I can explain. :(.

The 16v version of the Mk2 Golf is really something special. I guess he had the Bright Blue Metallic, one of the most underrated colors on the Mk2 (together with the Red Pearl Mica from 87 and 88).

Latest acquisition—1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais International Series sedan.
2.3L DOHC Quad 4, 160 hp
One of 877 sold that year, as the sticker was $17k when a base Calais was $10k

View attachment 846108

If you're not already, definitely become apart of Underappreciated Survivors on Facebook. You'd love the stuff that's being posted there - exactly the sort of stuff you own!

SVX
If you're not already, definitely become apart of Underappreciated Survivors on Facebook. You'd love the stuff that's being posted there - exactly the sort of stuff you own!

Been a member for a while now :cheers:

Where the hell do you keep finding these uber rare N-Bodies?

This one came out of a Copart yard after being donated to charity at the end of its life.

What next, a Turbo Grand Am? ;)

Hmm, now that would be one of those “1 of none” deals, right?
In all seriousness, it’s amazing that Pontiac sold hundreds of thousands of Grand Ams and they’re all gone.

Back