Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,439 comments
Took the 911 on a road trip recently...

IMG_5548.JPG

Am I alone in thinking that the Prowler is one of the cooler cars America's ever produced? :lol: I would not mind one of those. Needs something like a 6.1 SRT-8 swap, though.

If I can recall correctly, the main issue with the Prowler was that it didn't have a good enough engine. I remember it having only a measly V6 (I checked it, just in case) instead of a proper V8. I'm not a muscle car fan - I do appreciate them though - but I drove a few current-gen Mustang GTs. That V8 sends chills down my spine. The Prowler would be epic with a Hemi...

If I can recall correctly, the main issue with the Prowler was that it didn't have a good enough engine. I remember it having only a measly V6 (I checked it, just in case) instead of a proper V8. I'm not a muscle car fan - I do appreciate them though - but I drove a few current-gen Mustang GTs. That V8 sends chills down my spine. The Prowler would be epic with a Hemi...

It wasn't even that bad of an engine either. When they updated it in 99-00ish they put the 250hp 3.5L in it instead of the 214hp version. By comparison around that time, the 5.9L Magnum had 245hp (although it did have way more torque). The Prowler probably would've sold better with a V8, but I'm not sure by how much. I think its downfall was due to being a really niche vehicle that was also $40,000. Retro was still becoming a thing too and I'm not sure how many people were sold on the idea yet.

My mother worked at a dealership when those came out. I know a good handfull of potential buyers walked away as soon as they heard the engine start. something that LOOKS like a HotRod that didn't sound anything like a hot rod was an instant turn off for many... most of them went across the street and bought a vette instead

bought a vette instead

I have very limited Vette driving experience (C6 only, both manual and auto). I was never an American car fan but the Corvette tickles me for sure, it was awesome to drive it on the 17-mile drive at Pebble Beach and the Autobahn not far from Stuttgart. American cars that look fast by default need a V8. Sure, there could be exceptions but still.

The Prowler is for me a hot rod-style car (maybe I completely misunderstand it) but I'd probably go for a Factory Five Racing Speedstar if I'd want a hot rod.

That had to be a blast in that car, the roads in and around Yosemite are pretty great. I had the pleasure of experiencing route 140 in a Prius and even that was fun, can't imagine a 911. I am itching for a proper road trip again.

I love your 964, by the way.

Thanks! I went via Highway 120 from East Bay. 140 looked like it would have been a lot of fun too! A road trip and trying to stay away from other people was just what I needed. Risk is getting higher now so I was fortunate to just hit the timing. Stay safe and hopefully once a vaccine is out, we'll be able to really go road-tripping and traveling again!

Absolutely adore it, the sound is like nothing I've ever heard. It's insanely responsive with being NA and the power is completely effortless too.

I assume it’s DSG? Most of them were and it’s a good match to that engine. Had the chassis been set up a bit more playfully, as it was in the Golf R32, a manual may have been interesting. But as the VR6 was little more than an engine choice In an otherwise standard A3 chassis (with the pre-S-line ‘Sport’ spec option - a touch stiffer springs) the DSG suits it’s character perfectly. IMO. I just wish it ran as well on regular unleaded instead of requiring super unleaded. I’ve had mine 6 or 7 years now and I hate to think how much that would of saved me :indiff:

Last edited:
I assume it’s DSG? Most of them were and it’s a good match to that engine. Had the chassis been set up a bit more playfully, as it was in the Golf R32, a manual may have been interesting. But as the VR6 was little more than an engine choice In an otherwise standard A3 chassis (with the pre-S-line ‘Sport’ spec option - a touch stiffer springs) the DSG suits it’s character perfectly. IMO. I just wish it ran as well on regular unleaded instead of requiring super unleaded. I’ve had mine 6 or 7 years now and I hate to think how much that would of saved me :indiff:
I've never actually been one for anything other than manual, so I waited until a manual example came along. I love the gear changes and it's a joy to row through and it responds beautifully to rev matching, so I don't regret a thing.

Another thing that put me off was that early DSGs (and this being a fairly early 2004) can have some expensive repair bills, so I thought manual was the best option.

003.JPG

Spent last Friday in the car driving my favorite roads.

Sorry I forgot I had audio recording turned off on the PDR.

Last edited:
This is my '89 ST165 Celica we've been slowly restoring/modifying over the last 5 years. It's only now beginning to look like a car again, so thought I'd share a couple of images. 👍
The build will hopefully be finished by next summer... But I've been saying that for the last two years!

20200919_134854.jpg

IMG-20201029-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back