Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,443 comments
I got some new shoes for my car. Momo Bernina 17x8.5+38 wheels with Advan V601 245/40R17 tires. Can't say how much more grip I have over the last set of tires because it decided to get pretty cold this weekend and they're summer tires.

IMG_20221120_131347_HDR.jpg

I just made a full thread post on this one...

SMo 3-4 Front.jpg

It's been a long time since any updates in my car world. The RX-7 is... still in project phase as one would expect. Haven't touched it in a good while. But in the meantime I bought 2 cars last year:

2020 Honda Fit and 1979 MGB LE!

View attachment 1213739
Dig the MG! I just inherited a early 80's MG and a 914. Nither one of them have been on the road for years so I'm looking forward to the "adventure"?

Last edited:
Seriously dude... Do yo have any friends or relatives who would want me to inherit a Porsche from them? I'd be satisfied even with a 924 or 944 :)
Yeah, you say that but if you were faced with 2000 miles of towing them home and who knows how many hours of labor and parts to make them run... Let's just say from this side of the fence it's a different story. A story with hopefully a glorious end but it's yet to be written. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Yeah, you say that but if you were faced with 2000 miles of towing them home and who knows how many hours of labor and parts to make them run... Let's just say from this side of the fence it's a different story. A story with hopefully a glorious end but it's yet to be written. I'll keep you posted.
I'd suggest opening a thread here for your cars and post lots of pictures, we all love to see when others suffer the other members' cool cars. I still envy you though, at least you have a start. One of my biggest regrets in my automotive life was August 12, 2016 when I "traded in" my 2002 A4 1.8T quattro manual for $400 - should have kept it as a project car for a Super Touring replica... (the other big regret that I haven't even tried to scoop up 10-20k Euros for a Z3 Coupe and a 964 C2 back in 2006-2007 when we lived in Germany and those cars had no prices, those are my forever loves... too bad we just moved at that time from Hungary had no money whatsoever :))

I'd suggest opening a thread here for your cars and post lots of pictures, we all love to see when others suffer the other members' cool cars. I still envy you though, at least you have a start. One of my biggest regrets in my automotive life was August 12, 2016 when I "traded in" my 2002 A4 1.8T quattro manual for $400 - should have kept it as a project car for a Super Touring replica... (the other big regret that I haven't even tried to scoop up 10-20k Euros for a Z3 Coupe and a 964 C2 back in 2006-2007 when we lived in Germany and those cars had no prices, those are my forever loves... too bad we just moved at that time from Hungary had no money whatsoever :))
I feel ya, there was a 77 280z that I stupidly let go for nothing. It would be a salty pile of rust by now but the memory is still painful.
Lots of pain... Err pictures incoming.

California got it's one rainy day for the year, so snapped a pic since it looked nice out. All of my plans for the car got shifted a month or two, been spending too much money and have a couple of bdays and holidays coming up, so might as well just hold off for a bit.
Guess I lied.. Found a brand new DP and full exhaust for for sale for stupid cheap, and couldn't pass it up as I likely wouldn't find something for the price they were asking again..

52557404869_ba4e4278ee_c.jpg

2 snapped bolts, 2 broken tools, and 1 cut nut later... its on. The DP+full Exhaust really opened this car up. It has a deeper tone which some people in the community apparently don't like, but I think it sounds better. It's only a bit louder as well at city speeds, but because this car only has 5 gears, highway cruising speeds can sometimes be a bit high in the RPM band, so its fairly louder in that area. It's a lot more lively in 3rd/4th, but also just better all around now.

The stock exhaust went from 2.25" from DP to Mid pipe, then by the end of the mid pipe it was down to 2" and as soon as the exhaust splits at the T it was down to 1.8". This exhaust is 2.5 all the way through, so needless to say it's a definite improvement.

52563235892_719e46ba4c_h.jpg

52564150645_a1b0fea49f_h.jpg

@ImaRobot exhaust clip when???
It actually seems more mellow in most instances! I'm thinking it's because the deeper tone. I'll see about getting one tomorrow on my cold start.

Recording in cabin is not so audible. It was easier to record it before cus it was a but more raspier

Last edited:
Did you take delivery of your car from Porsche and drive the Nordschleife or did you ship it over there? Also, I love the Apex team!

Did you take delivery of your car from Porsche and drive the Nordschleife or did you ship it over there? Also, I love the Apex team!
It's a rather long story in its entirety. The somewhat truncated version is I originally put a deposit on a Porsche GT car back in December of 2019 with a life long goal of taking factory delivery in Stuttgart--maybe in 2021. This was originally envisioned as a 'father-daughter' trip. My girl was 13 at the time, rather enamored with my 981 Cayman and was begging to go karting at every opportunity. By October of 2021, in a Covid car economy, and after nearly two years of patiently waiting for an allocation, I realized I was never going get a GT3 unless I was willing and able to pay a ridiculous sum over the MSRP price. But by that point I also had a fully modified (non street legal) 2006 Boxster S set up for racing in the now extinct GT1A class. And the GT3, if it ever came to be, would mostly see street duty.

2006BoxsterS.jpg

So at that point, I told the dealer I was giving up and asked to change my allocation to bare bones manual Carrera S with only a few select options. And I figured maybe in 2-3 years, if things calmed down, I could trade up for a 992.2 GT3. Even that proved somewhat futile. Month after month I was having the same conversation with the dealer that they simply weren't getting enough allocations. By April of 2022 I was pretty much at the end of my rope. For various reasons, I needed to do this trip (to the Porsche factory) in 2022 or I would have to put it off for at least another 18 months. In a discussion with the dealer, they mentioned that they still had half a dozen people in line ahead of me for Carrera S allocations, and they were just trickling in from Porsche. But oddly enough, Porsche just gave them three GTS allocations that they weren't expecting. Without even hesitating, I told them I would take one. At that point I just gave up on the GT3 and optioned out the GTS exactly how I wanted it. I really would have preferred the 4.0 NA engine (who wouldn't) but I came to realize the GTS probably made more sense.

The car was supposed to be built in early June. Then late June. Then July. In fact I even got an official message from Porsche that the car was built. And I had a confirmed factory delivery date in early October. It's something I had been dreaming about for more than 30 years. So I went ahead and booked hotels, flights, track days, etc. I really went all out on this. Only to learn a few weeks later that it was all a mistake and the car had NOT actually been built. To make it worse, this was back in August during Porsche's summer break so it was almost impossible to get answers from the factory. I had both my dealer an Porsche North America trying to get answers. (Yes, probably the car would be produced in time for the factory delivery date, but Porsche, along with every other manufacturer, has been plagued with supply chain issues) and they couldn't guarantee it.

After exploring a few options, I finally just gave up and arranged to ship my Cayman over. I've been involved in International Logistics for 25 years so it was a relatively simple process. And I basically did the trip I originally intended to do 3 years before, except without my "new" car. And it was a good thing because production was delayed several more times. The car finally entered the production line in November and rolled out mid December. It's currently on a vessel crossing the Atlantic. But it never would have been finished in time for my trip.

In some ways, this may have worked out better. No worries about break in period or dealing with Porsche's "winter tires only after October" policy on factory delivery or nervous laps around the ring with a brand new car. That trip was all about "the drive" and it was great. The Cayman is back home in the garage now. It's really a fantastic car and I appreciate it quite a bit more after this trip.

garage.jpg

I was originally going to trade it in for the GT3 but it's become very special to me, especially after this adventure and I couldn't imagine selling it. Too many memories now. We ended up driving almost 4500 km, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Monaco, Belgium. It has a history. From Watkins Glen to the Nürburgring.

IMG_1410.JPG

(At Apex)

Sign.jpg

EDIT: For the record, I bought that one, I didn't nab it. :)

Last edited:
Back