Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,439 comments
IMG_20160731_121200783_HDR[1].jpg
From a car show a couple weeks ago. My GTO and my buddies twin turbo Nismo 370Z.

So I picked this up today for $700
KIMG0301.jpg KIMG0302.jpg
Things it will need:
  • Catalytic converter and manifold set (ordered)
  • O2 sensor replacements
  • Tie rod replacement
  • One of the side boards were missing so I'll just remove the other one.
  • One of the fog lights had too much blinker fluid in it so that needs to be replaced.
  • New passenger mirror (current one is cracked).
All in all I think I got a really good deal especially since my Dad is a mechanic. Once the major issues are sorted out, this truck has the potential to be a road king.

So I picked this up today for $700
View attachment 577361 View attachment 577362
Things it will need:
  • Catalytic converter and manifold set (ordered)
  • O2 sensor replacements
  • Tie rod replacement
  • One of the side boards were missing so I'll just remove the other one.
  • One of the fog lights had too much blinker fluid in it so that needs to be replaced.
  • New passenger mirror (current one is cracked).
All in all I think I got a really good deal especially since my Dad is a mechanic. Once the major issues are sorted out, this truck has the potential to be a road king.

First gen Ford Escape?

I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute which is a clone of the Ford Escape. I've had it for about 8 years, my parents bought it new in 2001. If it's AWD and you aren't using it off road, I recommend removing the fuse for the rear clutch. Its located in the passenger side lower kick panel (may be drivers side in US) fuse panel. There is a common issue where the AWD system will randomly engage the rear wheels at stupid times (ie at highway speeds) which causes major issues with the gearbox. First symptoms will be a shuddering feeling when cruising in top gear. A google search on this issue shows how common a problem this is, and how expensive it can be to repair.
Removing the fuse renders vehicle as front wheel drive, but there is basically no noticeable difference in how it drives or feels.

Other things to look out for
- there are 3 catalytic converters. If you need to replace any of these, there has probably been issues with cylinders missfiring, most likely from faulty ignition coils.
- replacing the rear ignition coils and/or spark plugs involves removing the intake manifold. This guide will help
- replacing the alternator involves removing one of the front drive shafts
-be gentle with the interior door handles, they break easily

It's had an easy life, and for the most part it's been a good reliable vehicle. But it's also been one of the most frustrating vehicles I have owned. There are many parts that should be quite simple to access/repair/replace, except they are located in the most difficult places to access!

First gen Ford Escape?

I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute which is a clone of the Ford Escape. I've had it for about 8 years, my parents bought it new in 2001. If it's AWD and you aren't using it off road, I recommend removing the fuse for the rear clutch. Its located in the passenger side lower kick panel (may be drivers side in US) fuse panel. There is a common issue where the AWD system will randomly engage the rear wheels at stupid times (ie at highway speeds) which causes major issues with the gearbox. First symptoms will be a shuddering feeling when cruising in top gear. A google search on this issue shows how common a problem this is, and how expensive it can be to repair.
Removing the fuse renders vehicle as front wheel drive, but there is basically no noticeable difference in how it drives or feels.

Other things to look out for
- there are 3 catalytic converters. If you need to replace any of these, there has probably been issues with cylinders missfiring, most likely from faulty ignition coils.
- replacing the rear ignition coils and/or spark plugs involves removing the intake manifold. This guide will help
- replacing the alternator involves removing one of the front drive shafts
-be gentle with the interior door handles, they break easily

It's had an easy life, and for the most part it's been a good reliable vehicle. But it's also been one of the most frustrating vehicles I have owned. There are many parts that should be quite simple to access/repair/replace, except they are located in the most difficult places to access!
Yup, a 2004. It is an FF XLT version. I'm only planning on using it to get to college, work, and back for the next 3 years. My Dad did mention that a coil might be bad so we'll check those out too. So once all the major issues are fixed I can take it with me, but until then its gonna sit. Thanks for the advise.

It's all fixed and they have an exhibit dedicated to it as well as the cars they couldn't fix on display! Definitely awesome!
Yeah. I saw they fixed it a while back. I was making a joke lol. I bet it is, I would love to go to that museum one day.

Back