Post your bike!

Picked up a hurting 70's Raleigh for the winter. New crankset, stem, some brake work and fenders and she's ready for winter. I wasn't expecting that much work, but I guess I fell a little for the matching original frame/fender. Been having some reliability issues with brakes freezing up, so if anyone's got experience winterproofing sidepull caliper brakes, I'd appreciate some pointers.

Paa019.jpg

giantxtcsx-399-75.jpg

One of those, its a 2007 Giant XTC, had it a few years now but have not ridden it for the last 2. I used to live next to a forest with some of the best bike trails around, but then 2 years ago i moved away and have not had the chance to use it, the thing is basically in new condition.

What I have here is a 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+. Its a great bike and hope it will continue to give me thrills for another 8 or more years! Almost everything has been replaced except for a few components. Newest additions are as follows:
Rock Shox Tora Solo Air
Mavic Crossride disc & Rim wheelset
Shimano SLX crankset
Shimano XT shifters
Hutchinson Cobra Tires tubeless
SRAM chain
SRAM cassette
Shimano XT Front Derailleur
Shimano XT rear derailleur
Avid BB7 front brake
Shimano XT rear V-brake
IMAG0475.jpg

Picture is out at one of my favorite trails "Flat Rock Ranch" out in Comfort Texas. On this day we started out in the 90's and an hour later all that haze was blown away and the temperature dropped 30 degrees. Great ride that day. 👍

I sent off my (other) road bike to be nickel plated and they're taking FOREVER doing it. I have all the parts sitting in my living room waiting to go back on. Replacing the flat bars with drop bars.

At any rate, I can't be without a distance bike because my vintage BMX's are worthless for distance.

So the other day I picked up a MINTY FRESH 1982 Trek 412. All it needed was a good cleaning, a new chain, new tires (factory originals were on it!), and a full re-grease.

i3yzwl.jpg

33xin3b.jpg

XDSRX300.jpg

This is the closest model I could find to the bike I have. Mine came without the road slicks and drop bars but I later added my own. It's a good bike for what I paid (800yuan) and has done around 8000k in the last 3 years. I could do with an upgrade but will wait until this is completely outdated.

My motorbike (not my actual bike but the same model) which I used to use for commuting when I lived in London. Great little 2 stroke motor, plenty of poke and the wonderful smell of burning oil. Is now sitting in my mum's shed waiting for some TLC.
27680d1215613431-yamaha-rx-thread-pics-rx100.jpg

So the other day I picked up a MINTY FRESH 1982 Trek 412. All it needed was a good cleaning, a new chain, new tires (factory originals were on it!), and a full re-grease.

Nice ride, I'm seriously tempted to pick up an old road bike like that as a little project.

Nice ride, I'm seriously tempted to pick up an old road bike like that as a little project.

Thanks, and you should, they're really fun.:) Part of the fun for me is the hunt to find something, part of it is rebuilding it, the rest is riding it. Classic bikes will retain their value better because they've already experienced the price dip and are immune to the latest trendy fads such as overly upright seat tubes, high handlebars, low handlebars, or what have you. (Although you could argue that classic bikes *are* the latest trendy fad, lol).

I think its easiest to find a clean and original complete but patience is key if you're looking for something specific. I've passed up a lot of early 70's Peugeot PX-10's in anticipation of "the right one".

Start out at http://www.classicrendezvous.com/

Last edited:

My Jetta/Trek, made to look as ugly as possible so that nothing gets stripped.
"Captain Slow", as named for my foolish overtake of a car on the freeway@ 40MPH:ill:
Thumbnail'ed for loading's sake.

Last edited:
That Yeti looks all kinds of right :D:tup:

Had to google Diablo Freeride Park but it looks pretty amazing, our trail centres are quite a bit less nuts than that!

I sent a frame to a chrome plater's back in early July and got it back last week. I've been building this up since and finished today.

The bike was made by a local bike company startup (I am not affiliated with them in any way other than a customer who has purchased a bike from them). It is 100% 4130 steel and mine was a grey/blue model that I decided to have stripped and nickel plated.

Basically my goal here was to transfer everything I like about the look of a vintage Mongoose to a modern and vastly superior interpretation of a bicycle.

700c wheels.
43T/16T gearing
3/32" KMC nickel plate chain
Ritchey Pro Logic II bars
DiaCompe G brakes and levers with BMX freestyle brake adjusters :D
Premium Slim PC pedals
no name aluminum cranks 175mm

I've skipped foot retention and gone for BMX platform pedals because its singlespeed. They're much more fun to "mash-style" pedal than geared bikes.

2nhj5zk.jpg

i5ywxs.jpg

Thanks. :)

I bought the fork after I had sent the frame off to be plated. Its 4130 steel (like the frame) so it could be plated to good effect if I were to have it plated. I'd want to send it back to the same platers to ensure consistency of finish and because they did a fantastic job on the frame at a reasonable price. The only downside is that it took 2 months to get my frame back and I don't want it to be that long yet again before I can enjoy riding it.

A few things changed since last time... purely cosmetic (tried justifying it as weight reduction but its negligible :/ )
Annodized red parts such as spoke nipples, seat clamp, headset, chainring bolts and red gear cable. Ive changed the chain to a 10 speed for funzies it has holes in the outer plates, looks cool saved about 20g :lol: also put in 4 silver spokes which looks kinda good when the wheels spin, i stickerbombed the downtube protects from mud and stones, removed the red dmr's for something much lighter... Oh and I also bought some slicks when im on the road. Kept the old cassette, wheels and discs so i can change setup in less than a min :D

Im going to leave it as it is now, no more money to waste on it. Going through this post listing what Ive done ive just realised the only thing on it from when I bought it is literally the frame and brakes! Here it is standard before i went crazy...

Looking good but it does look odd with the slicks on it, kind of like its just got the inner tubes on the rims :lol: What's the raffle ticket on the head tube for, been racing?

It won't be long before you can call it Trigger's Brush...much like the Sugar Babes.

I know! :/ I think its just designed like that, springs very stiff, made for downhill use but my bike has never seen a hill :lol:

Changed the hue on your pic btw?? The yellow looks orange!! Or is it just me, cos I can still see the yellow on the rear tyre....

Looking good but it does look odd with the slicks on it, kind of like its just got the inner tubes on the rims :lol: What's the raffle ticket on the head tube for, been racing?

It won't be long before you can call it Trigger's Brush...much like the Sugar Babes.

Trigger as in Only Fools and Horses?? You've lost me either way lol
Yupp they do look odd I did a 140 mile charity bikeride a few months back hence the slicks and raffle ticket. I quite like the rider number, im going to keep it on til next year :)

I'm surprised you got away with a 10spd chain on a 9spd setup.

Maybe its because my old chain was worn but the rear mech changes are actually smoother!! :S The front mech changes seem about the same or maybe a little hesitant but I can live with it. I measured the width of both with a vernier caliper and I think the difference of the outer plates was very small...

Last edited:
Trigger as in Only Fools and Horses?? You've lost me either way lol
Yupp they do look odd I did a 140 mile charity bikeride a few months back hence the slicks and raffle ticket. I quite like the rider number, im going to keep it on til next year :)

That's the one, this should explain :)

140 miles on knobbly tyres wouldn't have been easy, not that slicks would make it a breeze! Good work 👍

Latest Posts

Back