Post your bike!

Exigeracer: I was about to tell you to oil your rust chain but looked closer and see it has gold links, nice :D šŸ‘

Slick Rick: Looks nice, is that a Stumpy HT? Think I need to go to specsavers lol.

Good luck for the ride this weekend, what's the charity?

Hmmm the Charge is riding really sweet at the moment, lovely angles which make me feel so comfortable on it. However I want to change the frame, it's killing everything else now. At 2.8kg it's the weight of a cheap DJ frame (which is what it is basically). I've been looking at other stuff like the

8_44284_18_01_09.jpg

NS Majesty

which comes in at a neat 2.1kg but costs Ā£400, money I don't have to spend on a frame. However browsing Chain Reaction Cycles I came across the

46196.jpg

Flow Myth 4X

which is only Ā£175 and a stupidly light 1.9kg. They do recommend not using it for DJ but I don't crash as hard as 4X riders and at the moment I certainly don't ride the larger stuff they do. I'm seriously tempted and I know I'll probably have to spend another Ā£150 to change a couple of components that won't transfer but the difference it would make........:drool: I've got some decisions to make.

EDIT: I've just realised all the stuff I would want to change and that is everything but the forks, handlebar/stem combo, front hub and rear brake. At the minimum I would have to change my rear hub if I wear to buy the Flow, but ideally I'd like to swap the crank and in doing so that would change the gear ratio, to minimise the drastic change as I quite like my gear ratio I would probably have to change to 26" wheels (something I've considered for a quite a while anyway).

Last edited:
Guys, I need a mountain bike. I don't need one made from superlightweight metal transported from the future, with wheels with so much grip you can park it upside down on the ceiling, like most bikes in here. I just want one to take out on some forest trails and rural paths a couple of times a week with a friend. I had a budget Ā£100 mountain bike before and I never noticed much difference with my other friends which cost around Ā£400. I'm looking to spend not much upwards on Ā£210. I'd ask on a bike forum but they would sit there and laugh on their Ā£600 saddles and Ā£90 handlebar grips:lol:

Can anyone reccomend a particular model or store in the UK to look? I do intend to buy some upgrades when I have a bit more money, but with not too much summer to go I'm keen to get a bike soon.

Avoid Apollo/Reebok/Nike bikes that are found in JJB/Asda/Halfords as these weigh an absolute ton and are poorly made.
That's not to say Halfords don't have any good bikes though...
Seriously, ask in here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20005
People have asked for bikes for less than your budget before.
They are mostly a nice set of guys in those forums.
Also have a look on Gumtree or other. Some gems to be had on there I'm sure.
šŸ‘ Happy bike hunting!

eBay is your friend with that budget. You could pick up some old XC bike that doesn't weight a tonne and is still fairly capable and comfortable. If you find anything on eBay post a link in here and I'm sure someone will help you out, I'll try if I can.

Also, If you haven't seen the latest purchase thread I've gone and bought the Myth frame. Cannot wait to build this thing up, it's going to be awesome!

Last edited:
Totally agree with Aldo001 about the bikes to avoid. It is ok getting a bike from Halfords but you do need to check absolutely every nut and bolt to make sure it's been built properly. Their Carrera, Boardman and Voodoo bikes are all good value and generally decent but the cheapest one I would get is the Carrera Vulcan Disc for Ā£330 which is a bit over your budget. Unfortunately all new bikes are more expensive now, I got this bike 18 months ago for Ā£250!

I agree that the best bet to get a decent bike for that kind of money is ebay or similar.

The below websites are all reputable bike shops but none of them have anything I would want for your budget.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk
http://www.tredz.co.uk
http://www.wiggle.co.uk

SSU: I saw that you got that frame, keep us posted on the build :D

new color scheme on my bike!!

I'm so happy with it now, I'm getting a new stem soon also (maybe a topload, can't stand the frontloads no more, because of the frontend height)

Do you guys like it?

95ecdc3c_bici1.jpg

A Dutch guy without a bike? Ofcourse not :sly:

I have a racer since march of this year.
http://www.beone-bikes.nl/NL/producten/mistral.php

It is a Beone Mistral.
Carbon vork, the rest is aluminium.
Shimano NEW ultegra' s.

Nice bike, the speed into a corner is so much better then my old bike. Very impressive.
Next year I will be doing the Ventoux and in 2012 the Stelvio. Maybe :scared:

Slick Rick: Looks nice, is that a Stumpy HT? Think I need to go to specsavers lol.

Good luck for the ride this weekend, what's the charity?

Thanks, the ride went very well, there were about 170 riders and I managed to stay in the top 50 throughout which Im quite proud of as many of them had racers and hybrids on full slicks and all that and i had a MTB with a rubbing rear disc and poorly adjusted wheel bearings (I think they were over tightened). The charity is Wellchild http://www.wellchild.org.uk/ btw and my bike is well was a mid spec Rockhopper, almost everything has changed on it.šŸ‘

Last edited:
Thanks, the ride went very well, there were about 170 riders and I managed to stay in the top 50 throughout which Im quite proud of as many of them had racers and hybrids on full slicks and all that and i had a MTB with a rubbing rear disc and poorly adjusted wheel bearings (I think they were over tightened). The charity is Wellchild http://www.wellchild.org.uk/ btw and my bike is well was a mid spec Rockhopper, almost everything has changed on it.šŸ‘

Well done on the ride and a very good cause šŸ‘

It just goes to show it's the rider not the bike. Very decent starting point, TBH the Stumpy is a bit excessive for a hard tail IMO.

It's not going to happen this year but I've got my heart set on a Lapierre Zesty...or an Orange Five...or a Stumpy FSR :drool:

You can get the Diamondback for Ā£26 cheaper here.
http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/Diamondback-Overdrive-FD-Bike-(Orange).html

You can get a brand new Hardrock Sport 2009 for Ā£270 here
http://www.bestbikeproducts.com/products.php?plid=m1b25s2p2004&rs=gb

I'd keep looking.

Last edited:
It's not going to happen this year but I've got my heart set on a Lapierre Zesty...or an Orange Five...or a Stumpy FSR :drool:

Orange Five all the way. Look for ex-demo bikes if your really on a budget. My Uncle picked up his Scott Genius as an ex-demo bike for a fraction of the price of an unused one.

dsc00242sf.jpg

Everything is still kept is excellent condition by the shop and they wouldn't of been ridden far. You'll get some scuff marks on the frame probably but the shops usually do a good job with protecting ex-demo bikes and you'll pick them up after owning it for a while anyway.

Orange Five all the way. Look for ex-demo bikes if you’re really on a budget. My Uncle picked up his Scott Genius as an ex-demo bike for a fraction of the price of an unused one.

Everything is still kept is excellent condition by the shop and they wouldn't of been ridden far. You'll get some scuff marks on the frame probably but the shops usually do a good job with protecting ex-demo bikes and you'll pick them up after owning it for a while anyway.

The Scott Genius does look pretty sweet and I like the unique “pull” shock but having it in the firing line of all the crap coming off the rear wheel seems like a recipe for lots of maintenance and wear, they are meant to ride really well though.

Have you had a go of a Five or Zesty? They both rate really well in the mountain bike press but I find it hard to trust what they say when the same design point on their favourite bike isn’t a problem but is a deal breaker for the bike they don’t like so much. My brother had an Orange Patriot which he loved but swapped it for a lighter and more XC friendly Spesh Stumpy FSR Elite which he really loves…needless to say he won’t let me borrow it :grumpy:

It’ll probably be a couple of years before I actually buy a decent bike as I’ve got a second baby due in 5 months (:eek:) and my wife wants to move house in about 18 months (:ouch:) so unless I get a significantly better paid job my “toy” money isn’t going to stretch to a Ā£2K bike! An ex-demo bike is a good idea especially as you don’t get as much for your money compared to a couple of years ago. It would have to be a pretty good deal though to entice me away from the latest shiny shiny ;)

Talking of the latest bling have you seen the 2011 Five? Obviously it’s very similar but has a tapered head tube and ISG mounts across the range, there a good article and video here. Maybe I’ll be able to get one of these with the new Fox forks gold “kashima” coating by the time I'm ready to buy :D

I spotted the below this week, very good news for me as I’m only an hour from Coed Llandegla :)

North Wales to be ‘centre of excellence for cycling and adventure tourism'

BBC News video report

Centers of excellence for cycling and outdoor pursuits will be established as part of a Ā£16m tourism package announced today.

The money, from the European Regional Development Fund, councils and others, will be used to develop "world-class facilities" to act as a hub for encouraging more sustainable tourism in North Wales’ natural environment.

Welsh heritage minister Alun Ffred Jones will launch the project today at Coed Llandegla, Denbighshire, which is part of the North Wales Cycling Centre.

The Ā£2.2m cycling centre of excellence aims to increase the duration and number of visits by biking enthusiasts.

It will upgrade the facility at Coed Llandegla; extend visitor facilities at Llyn Brenig; link activity hubs at Betws y Coed; and create a natural trail to link Llangollen, Llandegla, Corwen and the Dee Valley. Money will also create two new regional cycling mass participation events of national significance to extend the tourism season.

An off road and cycling activity business centre at Clocaenog Forest is planned, and a distinct regional marketing brand for the area.

Sharon Frobisher, Denbighshire council’s lead member for environment, said: “This funding will allow us to place the region firmly among the best in the country, as well as boosting the local economy and meet the demand from enthusiasts in the cycling world.”

This will also fund the Ā£4m Eryri centre of excellence which will be based in four sites across Snowdonia to provide top class facilities for cross country and downhill mountain biking, angling, walking, mountaineering, and water sports.

A new activity centre and additional cross country mountain biking trails at the Coed y Brenin site near Dolgellau are planned along with a new downhill cycling facility around the old Llechwedd quarry workings in Blaenau Ffestiniog; and cycling loops around Tanygrisiau lake.

New facilities will be built at Trawsfynydd lake, including visiting and competition anglers and additional facilities at the Urdd’s Glan Llyn site near Bala, including a cycle link to Llanuwchllyn.

Dyfed Edwards, leader of Gwynedd council, said: “The project will be built on our vision to increase the involvement of the local community in this sector and to bring the industry closer to the heart of the community itself.”

Danny Walter, editor of Mountain Biking UK magazine, said: “This is really exciting news. This whole project should help make North Wales one of the UK’s premier mountain biking destinations.”

Heritage minister Alun Ffred Jones said: “These centres will provide world class facilities in a wide range of outdoor tourism activities and will showcase what Wales has to offer to visitors as a sustainable tourism destination.

“I hope these centres will attract more visitors to every corner of Wales and this demonstrates how serious the Assembly Government is about supporting this vital sector of the Welsh economy,” he added.

The Scott Genius does look pretty sweet and I like the unique “pull” shock but having it in the firing line of all the crap coming off the rear wheel seems like a recipe for lots of maintenance and wear, they are meant to ride really well though.

Have you had a go of a Five or Zesty? They both rate really well in the mountain bike press but I find it hard to trust what they say when the same design point on their favourite bike isn’t a problem but is a deal breaker for the bike they don’t like so much. My brother had an Orange Patriot which he loved but swapped it for a lighter and more XC friendly Spesh Stumpy FSR Elite which he really loves…needless to say he won’t let me borrow it :grumpy:

It’ll probably be a couple of years before I actually buy a decent bike as I’ve got a second baby due in 5 months (:eek:) and my wife wants to move house in about 18 months (:ouch:) so unless I get a significantly better paid job my “toy” money isn’t going to stretch to a Ā£2K bike! An ex-demo bike is a good idea especially as you don’t get as much for your money compared to a couple of years ago.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't had a single problem with the shock and he's ridden it the Trans Rockies Bike race among other things. I've had a little ride on the Zesty and Five but only round the shops car park, it's not a real test but I did prefer the geometry on the Five over the Zesty. Of course that's just my preference, yours will be different. The one thing I hated about my Uncles Genius is the stock stem puts you way out over the front wheel and made me feel extremely uneasy for a full-susser, however that could of been cured with a shorter stem.

It would have to be a pretty good deal though to entice me away from the latest shiny shiny ;)

Oh it would, I believe he only paid Ā£1600 for the ex-demo model only just surpassed by the next years. He could of spent Ā£2400 on the very same bike had it not been for a couple of scuffs.

I spotted the below this week, very good news for me as I’m only an hour from Coed Llandegla :)

Excellent, I'm about 1:20 away from Llandegla so it's ideal when me and my dad want a change from all the local spots. If you haven't been in the cafe your missing out on a killer bacon and egg bun, it fueled me for another lap in winter.

EDIT: My Myth arrived this morning! It's more beautiful than I thought, tempted to buy another just for the wall :lol:

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware he hasn't had a single problem with the shock and he's ridden it the Trans Rockies Bike race among other things. I've had a little ride on the Zesty and Five but only round the shops car park, it's not a real test but I did prefer the geometry on the Five over the Zesty. Of course that's just my preference, yours will be different. The one thing I hated about my Uncles Genius is the stock stem puts you way out over the front wheel and made me feel extremely uneasy for a full-susser, however that could of been cured with a shorter stem.

Good stuff, they aren’t cheap but I guess they all need looking after and servicing and there’s always a neoprene shock cover to keep it protected.

I’m sure I’ll deliberate at great length when I actually come to buy a new bike so I plan to go to a demo day to properly try out which ever bikes are on my short list or hire a couple of demo bikes for the day with my brother from somewhere like Biketreks in Ambleside.

I swapped my 100mm stem to 50mm and it made a world of difference to the feel of the bike, I really don’t understand why trail bikes are still sold with such long stems.

Oh it would, I believe he only paid Ā£1600 for the ex-demo model only just surpassed by the next years. He could of spent Ā£2400 on the very same bike had it not been for a couple of scuffs.

Blimey, didn’t realise that was the kind of saving to be made. I’d definitely consider an ex-demo, there’s a good chance of getting a top of the range bike with that kind of reduction :drool:

Excellent, I'm about 1:20 away from Llandegla so it's ideal when me and my dad want a change from all the local spots. If you haven't been in the cafe you’re missing out on a killer bacon and egg bun, it fuelled me for another lap in winter.

EDIT: My Myth arrived this morning! It's more beautiful than I thought, tempted to buy another just for the wall :lol:

I’ve not been in the cafĆ© there yet, it was very busy the couple of times I’ve been so just sat on the grass to save my 2 Ā½ year old getting in everyone’s way. I’ll make the effort next time I go but I don’t like egg so I’ll have to have double bacon…or bacon and sausage…or bacon and black pudding :drool: :drool:

That’s the kind of post it’s worth getting out of bed for, have fun building it up šŸ‘

I've just bought a set of Hope Pro2 hubs on Mavic 721 Rims.

hope-pro-2-standard-mavic-721-13212-2626_zoom.jpg

Originally I was going to have CRC build some Halo Freedom Disc rims onto Shimano SLX hubs but I came across this factory build for Ā£60 more, well worth it for the hub improvements alone.

The sound alone is something a man needs in his life.

The set cost me Ā£250, bringing the build total to Ā£425 but with the two most expensive parts purchased. Next up I think I'm going to buy an SLX crank.

Last edited:
Clickety click :D Looks like you got a good deal there and those hubs will be keeping the cockroaches company one day!

Alex: it may be worth checking Going Going Bike for a second hand bike. It's an ebay for bikes but it's only just launched so there's not much on there yet.

Ill join in with the poser pix
Took it on a canal as I was training for the 120 mile charity bike ride i got coming up this weekend :nervous:

I'm mostly into roadbikes these days, but your bike looks awesome. Makes me want to get another Specialized MTB.

Just purchased:

Shimano SLX Crank (Double and Bash)
Raceface Diabolus DH Riser
Octane One Chemical Stem 45mm
SRAM PC991 Chain
Gusset Double Six Singlespeed Converter 12tooth
Gusset Bachelor SS Chain Tensioner
Brand-X Spacers in Red
DMR Zip Grips

Total: Ā£208.

All that I need now to complete the Myth is a seatpost, seatpost clamp, brake, pedals and a pair of tyres.

Just got 2x Continental Racekings for the build.

Continental_Race_King-798-75.jpg

Ā£22 for the pair with free postage off eBay. I should know if I have a brake or not by the end of the night. Then I just need some pedals to finish it off as I can rob the seatpost and clamp off my Pace.

EDIT: I didn't win the brake.

Last edited:
Nice
Was that from an ebay shop or a private seller.
If it is the former can you gimme a link please? My Conti Speed Kings don't cut the mustard on the rough stuff. ;)

eBay shop. I was bidding on some but I got outbid at Ā£17 but when you include the Ā£4 postage I could of paid you then realise the massive idiot the guy that outbid me is.

Anyway yeah here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110513810719

Worth noting though that racekings probably won't give you much more grip over speedkings, I would go for something with a bigger tread such as the Panaracer Cinders I run on the Pace.

cinder-399-75.jpg

It depends what sort of riding you do most though.

Last edited:
Ahh cool
Might shop around.
There are some very good bargains on that page Neal linked to. Found it yesterday, much cheapness...

I've ordered quite a few times from Merlin and I've always had good service from them. The Rockshox Tora 302 Solo Air for Ā£99 is tempting me big time, I really shouldn't look at their clearance section :scared:

Anyone watch that cycling documentary on BBC4 last night? It was just about one guy who went all round the world collecting components for his dream road bike, however it was more about why cycling appeals to him and I thought it was a really nice portrait of the sport.

Also, my bike stuff has arrived, building it up as a type.

EDIT: Finished building it at 3:50pm this afternoon, I've got a slight issue with the chain and tensioner but that will be fixed in about 5 mins when I get some washers tomorrow. Apart from that everything went smoothly, my mate has loaned me some pedals and a seatpost and the old Avid BB5 is doing some more time until I get a Hope Hydro off eBay. Pics sometime.

Last edited:
I heard about the cycling documentary but missed it. Fortunately good old iplayer has got it (click here) so I'll watch it on the PS3 before it expires.

That was quick getting the bike built! Did the frame come with the headset and bottom bracket installed? I thought they were tricky to fit a require specific tools.

That was quick getting the bike built! Did the frame come with the headset and bottom bracket installed? I thought they were tricky to fit a require specific tools.

Nope, we already had a Hollowtech II tool so it only took a few minutes to install the entire crank. The headset was probably the easiest I've ever done, again only a couple of mins and the whole front end was complete, no special tools required for that. Infact my biggest problem is the chain tension and line it's running, for some odd reason I can't work out at the moment it won't sit on the cogs properly under any sort of load. I've tried to work it out all day but the problem persists, I think I'll take it into the local bike shop tomorrow and have them sort it out.

EDIT: Tried a new chainring up front and followed the bike shops suggestion of taking more links out the chain, still no progress. I'm now well and truly stumped and the bike shop can't think of anything else either.

EDIT 2: AWWWWW YEAHHHHH! Found some more tension out of the chain tensioner and it works a charm! I hope I win some Crank Brothers 50:50xx's tonight and it will be sweet to ride.

EDIT 3: Didn't win the 50:50xx's but I'm alright with that. I'm going to buy some NS Ariel Sealed pedals for Ā£35, they should be Ā£50 but once again Chain Reaction Cycles sale comes to the rescue. I have an offer for a Hope Mono Mini rear brake that I'm going to probably go with after talking to my mates about it.

EDIT 4: Accepted the Hope Mono Mini offer of Ā£55. All together it's Ā£59 including postage so I think it's a fair deal.

Last edited:
Back