Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After doing abit more testing the mid rear GT3 cars are much nicer to drive now. Front rear GT3 cars seem to have a little more understeer if you try to push the cars like you did prior to this patch. I would advise using ABS weak now if you used ABS default before. ABS default seems to have less brake force than before. ABS weak is much much better than before. Hitting curbs or clipping grass is much less forgiving now. Traction control feels as so it's been tweaked but that could just be a side effect to the tire model change making it behave differently it seems like less on and off constantly making it less intrusive. This could just be me on this one and imagining thing when im half asleep and hungry but when doing the F1 campaign it felt like when hitting the areas with rubber build up on the track you got abit more feedback through the controller.

I hopped on and played with the RH tires on a GR3 Corvette and my new Ford GT gr3 (I really like this new GT so far, only wish it was the the newer body).

I liked the changes, felt like there was a lot more progression with the loss of grip and the feel of the front end and what it was doing was vastly improved in the FFB on my g29.

Felt more realistic in that you could not just throw the car into the turn and it sticks like glue but you needed to plan your steering inputs more precisely and the grip seemed to be on a more realistic level.

Catching slides on the rear was much better as you actually received some warning rather than just a snap out and it was gone. Playing around at Suzuka in the hairpin and intentionally over pushing the car and taking lines that the car was a sure goner before the change is now in many cases you can catch the car and continue on with just an expected loss of pace rather than going completely around as in the past.

I had been running ABS on weak for quite a while and since the change it is more realistic and easier to brake with fewer lockups than in the past.

Also ran a few custom races trying out the tire wear and even that seems to be more progressive rather than losing little grip then all at once being on ice the grip starts going away quicker but is very manageable and actually again brings tire wear for me into adding to the fun of driving a race car on worn tires.

As it should be braking distances increase and turn in radius is not as good or tight, rear end stepping out is easier but still very controllable.

I think that the new tire model is great, now just add in easily visible tire temps in the color of the tires on the hud and allow air pressure adjustments in 1/2 lb increments that affect handling, grip, tire life and tire temps then we may be good to go.

VBR
That said, are you finding the car easier to catch when the rear end goes?

No, that's the other thing people are saying it's easier, it's constantly stepping out every corner its and very unstable.

The most hilarious thing is the low speed feel and constant spinning of tyres from standstill is hardly any different.

It actually feels like the cars have rear suspension made of sponge.

DS4 user btw

Driven the Citroen gr3 car yesterday for the first time since the update.

You really feel the difference in grip here. I struggled a bit to get used but once you do, you can feel the reactions of the car a lot more. Definitely more understeer (Cit had almost no understeer before), but also easier to catch an oversteer. Tyre wear looks the same to me, which was not good continues to be like that. It's definitely harder to take the maximum out of the car. Really enjoyable for me.

I really like this new model.

No, that's the other thing people are saying it's easier, it's constantly stepping out every corner its and very unstable.

The most hilarious thing is the low speed feel and constant spinning of tyres from standstill is hardly any different.

It actually feels like the cars have rear suspension made of sponge.

DS4 user btw

I'm wondering if this poll should be split between FFB wheel users and DS4 users in order to find out if this disparity of opinions lies with the control type, and whether or not this physics change has been to the advantage of wheel user and the detriment of DS4 users.

So, i see that some are reporting that the ABS weak is better, now I question, what advantage do you have when you use ABS weak vs ABS Normal ?

I had no idea there was a new tyre model but drove the GTR group 4 at Suzuka and was ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My biggest issue with this game is i cannot get the cars to turn in on racing hards, for most cars i use a brake bias of 5 with a controller sensitivity of 7, and they still feel wooden.

I had to dial back the brake bias to 0 on the GTR and increase TC to 1 from 0, so i for one noticed a rather large difference in handling.

what is the name of that option by default? I have messed the settings so much that I wouldn't know
When you display sector times on the hud whatever button(s) you use to change your current MFD settings will switch between optimal session or car time.

So, did a 2 hours endurance race on the Nurburgring 24h layout, GT3 cars with game BoP, hards and mediums available. Best time on hards with tyre wear was 10 seconds behind sport mode free practice top 10 times before update. Found myself powering out of some corners sooner and sooner through the race as I built confidence - not trying to set time attack laps though, kept it as smooth as possible. Tyre wear was low (1 or 2), so can't compare to what we're used to run in FIA races so far, but the wear difference between hards and mediums seems about the same as before. Also, I'm not the only one to think Gr.3 cars are more sensitive to dirty air now. Could still be a consequence of the tyre model with them being more springy / sensitive to load.

I had no idea there was a new tyre model but drove the GTR group 4 at Suzuka and was ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My biggest issue with this game is i cannot get the cars to turn in on racing hards, for most cars i use a brake bias of 5 with a controller sensitivity of 7, and they still feel wooden.

I had to dial back the brake bias to 0 on the GTR and increase TC to 1 from 0, so i for one noticed a rather large difference in handling.

Make sure you’re not braking and turning at the same time, this will help stop you understeering . Also try moving the brake bias forward to about -3 this helps get the weight over the front of the car and allows the front end to grip on corner entry.

Make sure you’re not braking and turning at the same time, this will help stop you understeering.

In the 458 Italia, braking & turning at the same time (i.e. trail braking) actually helped the car turn into the corners. As I was bleeding off the throttle it induced oversteer & helped me round quite effectively. Not saying it's gonna work for all cars, but will for some.

VBR
In the 458 Italia, braking & turning at the same time (i.e. trail braking) actually helped the car turn into the corners. As I was bleeding off the throttle it induced oversteer & helped me round quite effectively. Not saying it's gonna work for all cars, but will for some.
Trailbraking, sure. Slamming the brakes nooo.

Trailbraking, sure. Slamming the brakes nooo.

It all depends on the car, tyre compound, & the ABS settings. With ABS on Default in the 458 on SH/SH I could slam the brakes on max & still turn in without understeer. However, bleeding off had little to no effect as regards inducing oversteer, but with ABS on Weak it had a big effect. Like I said; ABS on Default now feels like "Magic Brakes"!

I need more time in Gr3 cars with RH tires but so far it feels better for me, ABS on weak feels better than default too. I may try and practice with no abs to see how that goes.

Try brake bias set to 5 on the rear. That should free up more traction for turn in, & at the same time lock the rear wheels ever so slightly to help the car rotate into the corner.

VBR
Try brake bias set to 5 on the rear. That should free up more traction for turn in, & at the same time lock the rear wheels ever so slightly to help the car rotate into the corner.

That's exactly what i was doing until the update and now the cars are too loose.

That's exactly what i was doing until the update and now the cars are too loose.

You mentioned using 5 for brakes, but not whether it was on the front or back; I assumed you meant on the front. If it's too loose on turn in, how are you having understeer?

VBR
You mentioned using 5 for brakes, but not whether it was on the front or back; I assumed you meant on the front. If it's too loose on turn in, how are you having understeer?
-5 is the front, 5 is at the back.

-5 is the front, 5 is at the back.

Thanks. On the HUD it just says Front/Rear, there are no plus or minus signs there. I think there is a minus sign when you change it in the tuning menu though, but can't ever remember seeing a plus sign there. Only had the game a few weeks, still getting used to all the menus etc.

VBR
Thanks. On the HUD it just says Front/Rear, there are no plus or minus signs there. I think there is a minus sign when you change it in the tuning menu though, but can't ever remember seeing a plus sign there. Only had the game a few weeks, still getting used to all the menus etc.

The HUD shows a minus sign when it is front bias, but no plus sign on rear bias.

After being too lazy to set the wheel up and using the pad instead, I've changed my vote from dunno to better. Kinda pad specific though as I had a blast throwing cars from N300 to N600 around on a variety of tracks and tires tonight but struggled last night with the wheel. The curbs bit me hard a few times (Seaside bus stop:crazy:) and the under steer is taking some getting used to. Hard work at times but it feels better.

If I had a criticism, I'd say the road tires have been buffed a bit too much.

Notorious pad user here also enjoying the new tyre model. I suspect prior experience with it at N24 helped transition quicker as I knew what to expect, even though it is toned down slightly from what it was like in May. Probably a good thing because it would've destroyed MR Gr3 cars' chances in FIA after we're all locked in.

I've done some little testing of ABS and I still feel Default will be the way to go. There's not much difference (if any) on one lap pace but I still see greater front tyre wear on Weak, that coupled with a bit more understeer than before means I don't see it being as competitive in race trim.

So, i see that some are reporting that the ABS weak is better, now I question, what advantage do you have when you use ABS weak vs ABS Normal ?
I'd also like to hear more from you guys who use ABS Weak. I just tried it, and I'm enjoying the added challenge of threshold braking. It's more involving to stay on the edge of lock-up and bleed it off to get turning grip. Before the update, I felt ABS default was like magic brakes, because you just had to mash the brakes, and you could still turn under hard braking with little consequence (unlike, say, Assetto Corsa).

Some folks say ABS Weak helps with turn-in as it allows you to rotate the car more. I'm not sure how that works, as I do all my braking before the turn-in.

I've not played the game seriously since April...
Been to my buddies house twice in that time frame where we enjoy adult beverages and frig around, but not really played.

Oh my...
I really like the new tire model.
I set ABS from default to weak right off the bat (having followed this thread).
Quite like the new track layout B in reverse... as so many here have stated. Thanks for sharing.
Did not try any other layout... but that layout offers a mix of threshold and trail braking, loaded up change of direction, decreasing radius and increasing radius corners... and a few linked turns.
Ran the pee out of my BoP'd 991RSR on RH tires there... which is pretty much the only car I "play" with.
So, all my asphalt time was spent in that car on that track/layout...

I notice zero issues with under-steer, but then again I was never one to over-drive/scrub to begin with.
Trail braking is glorious, where-in you actually have to ease off the brake and onto the throttle simultaneously, unlike before where you could ham-fist it.
I still get on the throttle the same, I have always rolled it down, never been one to just stab it, and, like I mentioned, never been one to have the tires screeching/howling to begin with... and do not use TCS/ACM/CSA or whatever else there is.
Have much more control of the car now... the odd time it steps out under power not only is it catch-able, you can stay in the throttle and drive it out... similar to real life... no more need to jump off the throttle and hope for the best.
Spinning the car around on pavement (semi-doughnut) to get facing in the right direction is a breeze... stab the throttle and the rears light up, no more waiting, wondering if the throttle is actually related to power delivery... and so much more control when the car is in a slide... you can feel it loading up, breaking loose, and loading back up again... wow.

Ran a bunch of BMB with the KTM to help grind for the 250GTO... had to decrease shock compression, back off rear spring rate, and dial in some decel LSD action, and the thing was a breeze.
Really enjoyed the Sarth circuit experience.
Ran the 2000gt in the Maggorie event a bunch... tune is wayyyy off with the new tire model, but was still good enough to get clean wins, so left it alone.

Went back to circuit experience, and mission challenge and golded the few events that remained... pure pleasure. Not that they were all easy for "me" but having some actual "feel" for what the car is doing allowed me to learn/adjust and conquer. I wanted to try again, whereas before I simply gave up due to not comprehending what the heck the car/game wanted from me.

A few others have commented on rally.
I have no experience with other games, only ever had the GT series from 4 on.
I have plenty of real life experience driving dirt at a high rate of speed, in both 2wd, awd and 4wd.
The Dirt experience is the best it has ever been.
90% of the remaining silver/bronze that I converted to gold today were dirt events.
It's still off/odd/wierd, yet, it's the best of the GT series that i am familiar with.
Prior today I hated the dirt events... skating around on top of the surface... just fake... no desire to take another run at events.
Today, there was enough "feel" to know what to adjust/do different to make me want to take another run at it.
One thing that is odd, is that despite the rally cars in game being awd... running the brake and throttle at the same time in a corner should induce over-steer... the game has not replicated that... not a major deal... need to learn to use the parking brake in game to compensate.

Bravo PD.
Thank you.

Back