Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't played in atleast a month until yesterday but have been an avid player. I have lost my saves twice now so was hesitant to play until this update. Has anyone noticed how much more springy the tires felt? My cars were bouncing around and I've never spent as much time on 2 wheels as I did yesterday. I even rolled the 86 Gr4 at Maggiore! Lol

I like the new model so far. Before, oversteer was more sudden and abrupt. Now there is much better balance with the front end washing out more predictably for cars with quick turns-in (NSX) and MUCH smoother rear rotation both on/off throttle. It is so much more fun to be able to rotate under throttle without going white knuckle.

Anyone else get the feeling that the whole handling system has been weakened with 1.23? Sometimes yesterday when I braked the car would just not slow down as it would usually and I hit countless walls compared to my usual "Not-too-bad" ability to drive.

Another thing I have noticed you get more feedback when you brake now. ABS weak is great now aswell.
I noticed that too, I can tell right away when my wheels lock up now. Car starts getting all wobbly and may start turning left or right. You can feel it in the wheel too, this was an awesome physics update overall. I wanna say they also improved traction control to be more realistic. I was messing around with tc2 in gr3 and it didn’t seem to be an on/off switch like before, a lot smoother

Personally, I don't mind the changes (less traction) as long as it is explained. What I HATE, is the inconsistency from practice to race when tire wear is selected. If the race has tire wear, the practice should too. I hate doing three laps in practice and then getting completely different physics in the race. I understand that means less full speed laps in practice, but that's the way physics work.

I usually run CSA on + ABS default (DS4 user) and for example set 3:28 on the weekly C, my lap with CSA OFF and ABS OFF was 3:29... this is a massive improvement, it now feels I’m driving the car instead of just getting button presses timed correctly.

That's great to hear.

Previously the Physics Simulation Model was very forgiving to you in Tail Braking situations. With the new update I had to be more concentrated and gentle while applying trail braking or else the car started to behave a bit more like in real life on the front end.

I'm very used to the BM X-bow combo so I decided to test the tyre model there. The rear end wanted to come around a lot in turn 3, especially when passing on the outside. It was a lot harder to chuck it in when i couldn't go for the apex. I had to lift slightly on about half of the 15 laps. It didn't go suddenly though so catching oversteer will be easier if it happens similarly across the board. My lap times were down slightly, only going below 45.5 once.

I couldn’t manage turn three in my XBow without completely spinning out in sixth. Even in fifth at not much over a hundred mph I had a hard time holding it on the tarmac. If this is the future of GT Sport I’m gonna have to retire☹️

Just wondering if anyone has seen an improvement in lap times after the update? I took the Ford GT Gr. 3 for a spin on Dragons Tail Seaside and I usually am in the 1:40 range. My first lap with the GT I hit 1:39 and it was by no means a perfect lap (by my standards). I then decided to do it with my go to car for that track the Alfa 4C Gr. 3 and hit 1:38 which I never did before. This was all in time trials - so I am wondering is it the new tire model or do the cars behave different in Time Trial versus qualifying for Sport Mode?

Just wondering if anyone has seen an improvement in lap times after the update? I took the Ford GT Gr. 3 for a spin on Dragons Tail Seaside and I usually am in the 1:40 range. My first lap with the GT I hit 1:39 and it was by no means a perfect lap (by my standards). I then decided to do it with my go to car for that track the Alfa 4C Gr. 3 and hit 1:38 which I never did before. This was all in time trials - so I am wondering is it the new tire model or do the cars behave different in Time Trial versus qualifying for Sport Mode?
I did a quick test at Brands Hatch GP with Gr. 3 Porsche and Renault and was about 1.3 seconds slower. The updated track limits probably cost me about 3 tenths, but still I was definitely slower. Once I get used to the new tire model, times should be closer, but doubtful I'll make up a full second.

Yep, I'm now down with this new model. It's still challenging but in a different way. It now feels like I'm driving a planted balls out car rather than a fast grippy hovercraft (the bummer is I had a lot of time invested in taming that hovercraft). Fortunately you can still make the car snap out with an ill judged input which for me is important and very much part of the challenge.

Car in question is the 911 GT3 RS - it's about the only thing I drive in GTS - just don't ask why because I don't really have a satisfactory answer.

PD, if you guys read this forum then please leave the tire model as it is - it's good.

I took out the McLaren F1 road car around the Nurburgring GP circuit on "RS" compound tires last night after the update and it feels great. The car performs as you would expect a car of that caliber to handle. Reminded me of Assetto Corsa physics a bit. Now only if they could dial in the FFB?! :D

@Slapped - They've seem to have made Comfort & Sports tyres more grippy, so if you want the 911 GT3 RS to be a bit more lairy, go down a few tyre levels. CS/CS maybe?

I've found cars to be a bit easier to catch when the ass starts to come out.... which is great. Particularly with higher performance vehicles, for example, I found the F40 a bit more predictable when driving at the limit. Previously the F40 was near impossible to save once the rear started to step out. It's still no cake walk... but yea, I like the new tire model.

Looking forward to getting some more wheel time tonight and trying out some other of my favorite rwd cars (e30 M3, RX-7's, Supra, etc).

Back