Potential Upcoming Changes to the Driver Rating System?

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 108 comments
You'd be surprised :lol:

Haha I’m sure there are plenty of nutters. But Im not sure that the current DR/SR system does anything to filter them out anyway.

I just think flat out qualifying would be a better way of matching the best drivers for that particular car / track / time of the month.

Haha I’m sure there are plenty of nutters. But Im not sure that the current DR/SR system does anything to filter them out anyway.

I just think flat out qualifying would be a better way of matching the best drivers for that particular car / track / time of the month.

That system wouldn't work at all in the context of FIA though, which is the main reason why the DR/SR system exists in the first place.

You should be happy, that cap is horrible. :yuck:
Well its been quite a grind doing only the Daily's, ive done 206 and still short 5.5K. Its been like a little side goal to make it to 75K one day.

But i can see the problems with it a cap as well. I am not sure what the best system is capped/uncapped or whatever but it is a interesting find that PD might chage it up a little.

That system wouldn't work at all in the context of FIA though, which is the main reason why the DR/SR system exists in the first place.

I’ve never done an FIA race so you’ll have to excuse my stupidity on the subject.

But why can’t they just open qualifying to everyone 1hr before the start and pick the 24 fastest? Rather than pick the top 24 by DR which I think is quite misleading.

They can rerun the initial 10 min qually if they want to spice things up a little pre-racé.

Yeah needs to be a ranking, I’m a prime example that I can hot lap much better under no pressure than compared to race pace. And like wise others can race much better than hot lap.

Although @mclarenLB you wouldn’t need to worry you’re fast in both situations!!

I’ve never done an FIA race so you’ll have to excuse my stupidity on the subject.

But why can’t they just open qualifying to everyone 1hr before the start and pick the 24 fastest? Rather than pick the top 24 by DR which I think is quite misleading.

They can rerun the initial 10 min qually if they want to spice things up a little pre-racé.

For Top 24 they don't do that, its Championship Points you accumulate over the week, also you shouldn't have to commit so much time to getting into top split if you're already a frequent high finisher - which is why the ranking system exists.

you shouldn't have to commit so much time to getting into top split if you're already a frequent high finisher - which is why the ranking system exists.
I completely agree with this. Using a DR system encourages people to spend their time racing, whereas using qualifying means people will spend their time hotlapping (which I find extremely boring).
I also find there are people who are normally 0.5 seconds a laps faster than me on the leaderboards, but way slower in the race

For Top 24 they don't do that, its Championship Points you accumulate over the week, also you shouldn't have to commit so much time to getting into top split if you're already a frequent high finisher - which is why the ranking system exists.

Ahh I see. I didn’t realise it was like a championship type thing. That sounds cool. But then doesn’t that make DR irrelavet as it’s just the championship points you get. I guess it is used to set the initial groups?

For sport mode at least I think straight qually would be better. It would also be good for the sanity of people grinding for DR. I could probably get to 75k if I just spent more time qualifying and smashed out gr3/4 at brands whenever it came up. But then I’d be in big trouble racing S class people at tokoyo in gr1 (as I’ve not done a race in either!).

Still think normal qually is better for matching the best people for each car/track/current form.

But then i guess DR is what keeps a lot of people playing!

I think the top 24 race should be separate from the FIA season races. There should be a FIA Championship Season Finale race for the top points holders for the current FIA Championship Season and a "Showcase" race for the top 24 DR rated drivers.

Ahh I see. I didn’t realise it was like a championship type thing. That sounds cool. But then doesn’t that make DR irrelavet as it’s just the championship points you get. I guess it is used to set the initial groups?

For sport mode at least I think straight qually would be better. It would also be good for the sanity of people grinding for DR. I could probably get to 75k if I just spent more time qualifying and smashed out gr3/4 at brands whenever it came up. But then I’d be in big trouble racing S class people at tokoyo in gr1 (as I’ve not done a race in either!).

Still think normal qually is better for matching the best people for each car/track/current form.

But then i guess DR is what keeps a lot of people playing!

It’s not irrelevant, because you need to be in a good room to get more championship points.

It’s not irrelevant, because you need to be in a good room to get more championship points.

Yer as I was writing it I started to figure out it was probably used to set the rooms.

But for me DR kind of spoils the fun a little. I don’t enjoy qualifying and often quite like working my way up from the back. But the DR system kinds forces me to grind qualifying and makes me play it safe when racing.

But for me DR kind of spoils the fun a little. I don’t enjoy qualifying and often quite like working my way up from the back. But the DR system kinds forces me to grind qualifying and makes me play it safe when racing.
Why not race in the non sport mode lobbies? The whole point of sport mode is competitive racing.

If the daily race were based on quali time you probably wouldn't start at the back anyway if you didn't set a time, you'd just be matched with other people who don't set a time

360BC745-89D1-4B90-BE36-CE0B609FF648.png
DR/B SR/A+ on website for me. (99)

The only issue with unlimited DR is then it just comes down to who does the most races.

You are pretty much guaranteed to gain DR if you finish top 5 and that’s not really very difficult for the top guys. So it’s just about who has the most time on their hands.

At the begining I got to DR S in a couple of weeks because I was between jobs and just smashed out the races. It wasn’t because I was better.

I had a buddy two nights ago whom is an A/S Driver and he started in 2nd and came in 2nd to another A/S Driver and lost 100 DR points... the rest of the lobby was C/S and D/S with 1 B/S... kinda harsh to take his DR away because they matched him with low level drivers. A podium finish should be more than sufficient.

I had a buddy two nights ago whom is an A/S Driver and he started in 2nd and came in 2nd to another A/S Driver and lost 100 DR points... the rest of the lobby was C/S and D/S with 1 B/S... kinda harsh to take his DR away because they matched him with low level drivers. A podium finish should be more than sufficient.
The driver that beat him must have had a lower DR. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a points loss like that since he gained no positions in the race.

I find it hard to believe that someone who is capable of setting a top24 time doesn’t have half an idea of how to race.

Ho you have no idea how many there are : people who farmed the qualy until they got the "lucky" lap and are one or two seconds slower in race, people who can still set the time in race but crashes every two laps and people having no clue about how to race in a pack driving like they're still alone on track. Sometimes it's all of that at the same time. I can think of several people, even a whole team who used to trust the seasonal leaderboards in GT5 and GT6, each time I saw one of them in sport mode, they were off pace and involved in incidents. I destroyed people who were a second faster than me in qualy just with consistency.

Using a DR system encourages people to spend their time racing, whereas using qualifying means people will spend their time hotlapping (which I find extremely boring).
I also find there are people who are normally 0.5 seconds a laps faster than me on the leaderboards, but way slower in the race
There's a difference between having multiple attempts to push a car to its absolute limit on an empty track versus driving that same car in traffic where even one mistake will ruin your result. The rating system isn't perfect but it does reward consistency, something I believe is as important as raw speed.
Rooms like that does make doing the dailies less inticing to play for higher ranked drivers. Even if one takes a chance, they're likely to start near the front and be logging laps without much competition. Not much incentive either way.

Rooms like that does make doing the dailies less inticing to play for higher ranked drivers. Even if one takes a chance, they're likely to start near the front and be logging laps without much competition. Not much incentive either way.

Not really a problem you can solve without making the daily races less frequent, which obviously nobody wants, its fine as is I think.

I think they just changed it so people wouldn't be classified as BS (an insult in English) drivers. I was a BS driver but I knew that before I bought the game. I'm now a BA+ driver: Huzzah! None of the driver ranking stuff matters except you get way more points in races with higher level drivers. I find it's generally more challenging too, so the system must be working somewhat correctly. I prefer racing against better drivers. How else can you see why they are fast?

Ho you have no idea how many there are : people who farmed the qualy until they got the "lucky" lap and are one or two seconds slower in race, people who can still set the time in race but crashes every two laps and people having no clue about how to race in a pack driving like they're still alone on track. Sometimes it's all of that at the same time. I can think of several people, even a whole team who used to trust the seasonal leaderboards in GT5 and GT6, each time I saw one of them in sport mode, they were off pace and involved in incidents. I destroyed people who were a second faster than me in qualy just with consistency.
100%.
Good friend of mine (who is not into the online deal) could likely post top 10 times... yet, would struggle to put 3 fast laps together in a row, and will crash the heck out of even the AI... and this is an intelligent (elite college educated) and successful (partner of a firm, 7figures salary) guy...
and no... I make nowhere near what he does... I work construction.

So it just happened where I was the only A with B,C and D drivers in an fia race. I was ranked 13 going in with a little over 2000 (2 races) points but because of the drivers they put me with I got 400 points for first. Didn't know if I could back out or not, risking not being able to start another one?

So it just happened where I was the only A with B,C and D drivers in an fia race. I was ranked 13 going in with a little over 2000 (2 races) points but because of the drivers they put me with I got 400 points for first. Didn't know if I could back out or not, risking not being able to start another one?

Your SR will've caused that.

If you had backed out, you wouldn't have been able to enter it again.

There's 2 matchmaking tiers of SR S, 80 to 89 and 90 to 99, the former will result in crappy lobbies.

I went in mid Dr A and Sr 99 so not sure what happened although it's happened in dailies before too. But now that I know I can back out it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input everyone :)

Edit: I stand corrected. I forgot I did the Monza gr3 daily and had my Sr tanked to 89 on first chicane. Lesson learned in any case...thanks again!!!

Latest Posts

Back