Powerslide??

• Thread starter Lightsped
  • 35 comments
If your trying to 'light it up', get going fast, keel over full lean into a sweeper, then snap the throttle on-off... this should upset the bike and break the rear free.

Okay,..I've been trying to do this for an hour and no luck. Is there a track I can do to practice powersliding and is there a particular tire I should be in? I was using soft but changed to hard so the tires will slide.

So this is what I'm doing...I head down the track as fast as I can and before I hit the turn, I let off on the throttle, sit up and hit the brakes, setup for the apex, dip into the turn, accelerate out of the turn. You mentioned to on-off the throttle. I was doing that but nothing happens except the obvious. The rear wheel never broke or seem to break free. Am I doing something wrong? :grumpy:

Okay,..I've been trying to do this for an hour and no luck. Is there a track I can do to practice powersliding and is there a particular tire I should be in? I was using soft but changed to hard so the tires will slide.

So this is what I'm doing...I head down the track as fast as I can and before I hit the turn, I let off on the throttle, sit up and hit the brakes, setup for the apex, dip into the turn, accelerate out of the turn. You mentioned to on-off the throttle. I was doing that but nothing happens except the obvious. The rear wheel never broke or seem to break free. Am I doing something wrong? :grumpy:

Did you switch the controller setting to "Pro" in the options? If you don't do that you'll never get the rear tire out of alignment with the front unless you head off the track or get air and land anything but perfectly upright. In Standard and Semi-Pro modes the game uses a sort of unchangeable traction control system to keep you from nailing the throttle and getting the result of what would actually happen to you and the bike. When you slam the right thumbstick forward or smash the x button, whichever it is, instead of the game actually doing that, it opens the throttle as quickly as it can do without causing the bike to wheelie or the tire to overpsin. It also keeps you from locking the brakes no matter how hard you pin them, at least most of the time it does. Again, if you start off-roading the whole physics thing changes. In pro mode, this babying is disabled and if you nail the throttle when leaned over in a turn you'll suddenly hear the revs raise and the rev limiter kicking in, might even see a wisp or two of smoke. And then it's bye bye rider as you get flung from the bike. IT makes for some sweet pictures if you catch yourself before the inevitable spill, but it's no picnic trying to hold a two-wheeled vehicle with the rear kicked out. Check to see if you're in pro mode. If you are, this should definitely be happening to you.

After playing the game for a long time on Standar, pretty much since I bought it, I decided to try my luck with Pro mode on a GSX-R 750. Boy, what a reality check/kick in the butt, and I was on the Autumn Ring MINI!

I HAD to remember to press BOTH brake buttons or it was just front wheel braking, and while trying to trail brake the rear brake by itself into a corner it really didn't take a lot of pressure before the rear wheel locked, and you'll know if you do it because you'll hear a very low-pitched skidding sound coming from the tire. Of course reflex tells you to do what you do when you drive a car, get off the brakes quick, but as someone explained, this upsets the machine and is almost guaranteed to get you perpendicular to the direction you were trying to go, and the bike will launch you from the seat (though sometimes the rider hangs on for dear life till he lands on the opposite side, lol). If you get on the gas after letting off the brakes you'll most definitely spin the wheel, and you may even be able to keep the rider attached until he's nearly upright, but once you hit that point of being almost upright all of the bikes momentum carries the thing over to the other side and you'll fall. I've yet to maintain a slide and recover from it without still nearly falling over and slowing down A LOT!

And to the guy who wanted to know how to do a standing burnout, you still really can't, even in Pro mode. You'll need to trick the game engine. Get going at a fairly decent speed, hit the front brake only and keep the throttle open (pretty much not possible with the thumbstick, so use the buttons in this case). Lean forward so the bike goes on the front wheel, and keep it balanced and as straight as you can. When you come to a stop the bike will come back down on the rear wheel that should be spinning like crazy, and you'll get a smoke show for a few seconds. That way you can go into photo mode and take a pic doing a burnout. Sadly though, unlike other games like Midnight Club 2 or 3 or GTA Vice City, you can't just hold the brakes and the gas and get a burnout. Even in pro mode, if you're at a dead stop on a street bike with stock tires and hold the front brake, lean the rider forward and hit the gas, the most you'll get is the wheel slipping in place at MAYBE a few mph/kph. And it'll just keep doing that, no smoke.:ouch:

its actualy really easy to drift in tt. i just used my highest power/weight ratio bike and it was the susuki grx-1000 i think, its a street bike, i used everything stock and used the pro conrtols. it kinda just went by it self.

Infact, if you put sticky race rubber onto a cruiser (yuck), it would be able to stop much harder than a sportbike, because its nearly impossible to 'endo' something that long and low. You would have to have a nice set of brakes, or some really strong (and well controlled) hands.

well, actually, not true. even the stickiest tyres known would lock up (and overheat if used repeatedely) if on a crusier. the reason is as you stated...the CofG is really low, and the bike is really long (typically). before all the weight can be transferred to the front wheel, the tyre will slip from the momentum of a heavy bike pushing the front tyre beyond its traction capabilites. this will result is the front washing out, and if unlucky, a lowside.

i have been able to get a number of powerslides going for a good amount of time, but its really hard, and about 1 out of 5 does not end in a crash.

Back