PRAIANO'S TUNES : SETTINGS FOR GT7

• Thread starter praiano63
  • 11,536 comments
@luv2drive
let's start with this question:

When you tune a car from scratch, is there a certain sequence you always follow in terms of the different categories of tuning mods, like power, Aero, LSD, suspension?

For the power i alway favor power than torque . Torque can be good for track that have a mix of slow speed sections and fast speed sections . The main problem is the motricity or drivability to manage the wheel spin out a slow corner for example.
Power is more easy to manage than torque and for high speed , it's more performant. Power speaks more than torque in term of top speed.

Aero have influence on PP as i explain several times.

• Front downforce = + PP
  • rear downforce = -PP
This is not ok and prejudice FF & FR cars .
I put as much i can on the rear and as less i can on front.
Ride height act as downforce and don't have any influence on PP so that's why my cars have this look.

LSD
Initial : I use to limit the pivot of a car . If the balance have a lot of oscillation, if a car swing turn a problem to his driving line overall.
Accel: I try to set the car a way some eagerness out of corner , giving a light oversteer.
Decell: I raise the value to control a car entering a curve under heavy braking situation, turning the car controble and stable .

Suspension: All is working the way it's suppose to be. The only one that don't work even inverted is the ride height. Higher ride height giving more stability. In GT7

Interesting about torque vs power - I never looked at that closely enough.

But it brings up another question. How do you decide when to do weight reduction vs. not? It seems generally have many stages of weight reduction, even if it means sacrificing engine power to get down to the required PP level

Are you aiming for a particular weight-to-power ratio?

Optimizing Weight x power x grip is hard to define.
For any PP class , i have reference ghost on several tracks , that help me to decide the best option.
Testing wheight / power and checking your new car against your best reference ghost is the key.
Normally i do this on tracks i know perfectly and represent different kind of track that reveal differents behaviors for each cars.
Normally Nordschleife , suzuka , SPA or Tsukuba for low power cars.

Oh that's an interesting technique. I guess it makes sense once you have enough experience. Do you have any basic rules of thumb for that?

If we switch the topic to suspension, I'm unclear how to decide when I need to change any of those settings, and how they work together.

With ride height you said you always want high rear to get more grip, is that right? How do you decide what value to set the front?

Do you have any basic rules of thumb for that?

No rules and no orders for me. A lot of practice since a lot of time.
how to decide when I need to change any of those settings
Like i've say in my garage several time , everything work like the manual "beyond the apex" less the ride height above stability that is inverted
How do you decide what value to set the front RH
I use it like front downforce. Low front downforce increase front grip in GT without increasing Performant points. Why my cars look like a very low front end.

If you change tires, say for example from SM to SH on a tune, would you need to change the suspension settings to accommodate that? If so, what would generally need to be changed?

For one grade up or down , nothing change about springs , Harder springs settings above 2 or 3 grades above . For example from SH to SS or RH. This will contain the weight transfer over the tires due to + grip.

One last question about transmission which I forgot

With the customizable transmission in the game there is the "Top Speed" setting and then there are the individual gear and final gear setting sin the detailed screen.

Sometimes I've seen you set "top speed" all the way to the left (250) and do all adjustments inside the individual gears which still gets a top speed in 6th gear in the 320 (let's say) range.

Other times you set the "Top Speed" around the right value (say 320) and then adjust the gears accordingly.

What is the difference between these two approaches?

The "tranny trick" is just a way yo make your gearbox with close gears . HERE
Sometime without this technique you can't set your gearbox because it's impossible to reach the ratios without it.

Most of the time , you don't need to use this trick.
To taylor a gearbox for a given car on a given track:
-Set last gear to reach optimum RPM ( peak max power) on the faster point of the circuit.
-Set the 1st gear to be able the best retake out the slower curve of the circuit.
-Spread the intermediary gears heavenly (you can set a single gear at optimum rpm to pass through a serie of turns without needing to shift )

EDIT: When i write " The only one that don't work even inverted is the ride height. Higher ride height giving more stability. In GT7" i have to be more specific. This is right for road cars with few or no downforce. Don't consider this true for racing cars with extra ++ downforce.

Also on a road car on a 600PP or 700PP , with rear diffuser or not , you can gain around 10 to 15 kmh extra top speed using a low ride height. The car will lost stability but gain more top speed.
Last time attack on Nordschleife with NSX R '02 was a good example for this.

Last edited:
Lexus RC F GT500 '16 - 800PP - Racing Hard tires - Sardinia

A bit slower than the pre 1.23 update , the car lost a lot of power for the same PP , but it's possible to add a lot of more grip on it. Fantastic machine to drive anywhere.

View attachment 1197314View attachment 1197315

1- set auto speed at the minimum 290kmh
2-set the final gear to 3.050 .
3- set each gear ratio beginning from the last gear to first gear in this order.
Done.

View attachment 1197316View attachment 1197317

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
There seem to have been some changes since this was first posted. For me, the max rear downforce is 1000, so I set it to that.

I also had to take away significantly more power to get it under 800pp. With this tune it was coming in at ~845pp

Going to try it out now

There seem to have been some changes since this was first posted. For me, the max rear downforce is 1000, so I set it to that.

I also had to take away significantly more power to get it under 800pp. With this tune it was coming in at ~845pp

Going to try it out now

Hello You need to go the GT CAR and change the rear spoiler to a wider version :)

OK this engine swap is golden, totally transforms the car into a different A class league.
My times are improving drastically I can't put down GT7 so I have a good excuse to keep pushing my time down & VR has restored by love of GT7 and the bonus is tunes like this one means I'm grinning ear to ear under my VR headset so many many thanks again.
I added a little something to your VR PayPal purchase kitty and get well soon
Agreed! This thing is a beast!! (Nissan Silvia Spec R S15 TC GR4)

Are you aiming for a particular weight-to-power ratio?
Usually I go for lower weight and lower power in that case. I remember you posted a Ferrari Berlinetta 700pp tune with 700+ HP that is amazing for LeMans but only for time trial, because in that case you cannot complete even 2 laps with the full tank of fuel. But when you do all the weight reductions to that car and lower the power to 500HP, it can go for 3 laps no problem, and you only lose about 2 or 3 seconds a lap (in a 4 minute lap that is not so bad).

Hi praiano, can you suggest a car to ride in GR.3 Daytona race? (and a proper setup of course)
Hello. What race on daytona? the 800PP or 730PP ? A long time i didn't race there , i would have to check again testing but perhaps the viper or aston '10... or Peugeot vgt... I'll check.
Usually I go for lower weight and lower power in that case. I remember you posted a Ferrari Berlinetta 700pp tune with 700+ HP that is amazing for LeMans but only for time trial, because in that case you cannot complete even 2 laps with the full tank of fuel. But when you do all the weight reductions to that car and lower the power to 500HP, it can go for 3 laps no problem, and you only lose about 2 or 3 seconds a lap (in a 4 minute lap that is not so bad).
Yes it's hard to say. Depend of the track of course.
I like to set my roads cars around to 2500 lbs / 1150 kg , it's a good all track base weight.
Sure there is exceptions and parameters of the race .
Some cars can carry more weight to add HP & less downforce.....
Slow turns needing a good retake out corner , setting more torque over pure HP......
You have to deal with everything all the time. Again , testing is the key , with some reference ghost to base your judgment.

Last edited:
@praiano63
Honda RA272 '65 - 700PP - Racing Soft Tires - All Track -1.29

This car can be nasty if you be late on the brakes.You can smash the brake pedal only when you're inline. Release the pedal softly before you give angle to the wheel entering the turn and be smooth in your driving input. A slow in fast out is the key for this car.
Out of this , the car have a superior grip. Tested on Suzuka , Nordschleife ..... For Le Mans you need to take care of the tires for 3 laps , or use medium tires but it can be done with soft. 3:52 lap dry conditions.
You can find more stable cars in others garage , like in @shaunm80 garage who have an excelent car there. (It was my base test ghost for Le Mans) My car is a bit more technical to pilot.
Congratulation to the livery to RUCCY46.

View attachment 1234528View attachment 1234529View attachment 1234530View attachment 1234532

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
Very much enjoying this tune. Thank you. A lot of people said it feels the best with sport soft tires. Any suggestions for adapting this tune? With/without turbo, 600pp, 650pp, whatever feels best. Looking for fun, not pace. Thanks again for all your hard work!

@praiano63

Very much enjoying this tune. Thank you. A lot of people said it feels the best with sport soft tires. Any suggestions for adapting this tune? With/without turbo, 600pp, 650pp, whatever feels best. Looking for fun, not pace. Thanks again for all your hard work!
If i remember well , i did a 600PP tokyo test with this car but i didn't finish it , the sweet spot is very narrow. I'll check again.

If i remember well , i did a 600PP tokyo test with this car but i didn't finish it , the sweet spot is very narrow. I'll check again.
If not, don't worry. I trust your judgement. There are plenty of wonderful drives in GT7, thanks to you! ;)

@MarionJ13, I used this tune for the RA272 very successfully on Tokyo. It is a blast to drive. It's been a couple weeks since I raced it there, but if I recall you don't need to pit because the car is so light.

Other than what's below in the screenshots, I used a Medium RPM Turbo

If you think the SH tires are too squirrelly you can use IM tires, but you need to add more ballast and decrease power to compensate. I actually got these settings from someone else on GTPlanet and then tweaked them a little - 198 kg ballast at -32, ECU at 96 and Power restrictor at 70. I also lowered LSD Braking sensitivity to 45 with the IM tires.

For fun, I took that IM tune, swapped RH tires, increased springs (natural frequency) to 2.60, and swapped in a Racing transmission and took it out under the night sky at Mount Panorama. It really handles the curves coming off the mountain very well. (623pp for this)

Hope this helps you or anyone else here in the meantime until @praiano63 enthralls us with the perfect Tokyo tune :)

(Also, be aware that the Tokyo tune doesn't use the Racing tranny but the Fully Customizable Manual. I found that the tradeoff for the extra power is helpful on this event)

Attachments

• hondara272_tune600_1.jpg
    hondara272_tune600_1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 31
  • hondara272_tune600_2.jpg
    hondara272_tune600_2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Honda RA272 '65 - 600PP - Sport Soft Tires - Tokyo Rain Event -1.29

Excelent top speed , nice grip , good traction safe out slow / medium speed corner. Just take care with the brake distance. Weaks brakes.

h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg
h4.jpg

Originals specs:
Engine
ConfigurationRA272E 60º V12
LocationMid, transversely mounted
Constructionaluminium block and head
Displacement1,495 cc / 91.2 cu in
Bore / Stroke58.1 mm (2.3 in) / 47.0 mm (1.9 in)
Valvetrain4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feedKeihin-Honda Fuel Injection
LubricationDry sump
AspirationNaturally Aspirated
Power230 bhp / 172 kW @ 12,000 rpm
BHP/Liter154 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Bodyfibreglass
Chassissteel tubular spaceframe with stressed duralaminium panels
Front suspensionlower wishbones, top rockers, coil springs over dampers, anti-roll bar
Rear suspensionreversed lower wishbones, top links, twin trailing arms, coil springs over dampers, anti-roll bar
Steeringrack-and-pinion
Brakesdiscs, all-round
Gearbox6 speed Manual
DriveRear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight497 kilo / 1,096 lbs
Wheelbase / Track (fr/r)2,289 mm (90.1 in) / 1,349 mm (53.1 in) / 1,674 mm (65.9 in)

Performance figures
Power to weight0.46 bhp / kg

Race history
Major wins
1965Mexican Grand Prix (Richie Ginther in RA272F-103)

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.

Last edited:

Excelent top speed , nice grip , good traction safe out slow / medium speed corner. Just take care with the brake distance. Weaks brakes.

View attachment 1238485View attachment 1238486View attachment 1238487View attachment 1238488
Originals specs:
Engine
LubricationDry sump
BHP/Liter154 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Bodyfibreglass
Front suspensionlower wishbones, top rockers, coil springs over dampers, anti-roll bar
Rear suspensionreversed lower wishbones, top links, twin trailing arms, coil springs over dampers, anti-roll bar
Steeringrack-and-pinion
Brakesdiscs, all-round
Gearbox6 speed Manual
DriveRear wheel drive

Dimensions
Wheelbase / Track (fr/r)2,289 mm (90.1 in) / 1,349 mm (53.1 in) / 1,674 mm (65.9 in)

Performance figures

Race history
Major wins

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
Thank you very much. I can't wait to try it out! :cheers:

View attachment 1238485View attachment 1238486View attachment 1238487View attachment 1238488
Originals specs:
Engine
LubricationDry sump
BHP/Liter154 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Bodyfibreglass
Steeringrack-and-pinion
Brakesdiscs, all-round
Gearbox6 speed Manual
DriveRear wheel drive

Dimensions

Performance figures

Race history
Major wins

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
This is great @praiano63. I never thought of trying soft tires on the Tokyo event. I'm going to try it out this morning, can't wait!

Toyota MR2 GT-S '97 - 600PP - Sport Hard - Tokyo -1.32

Wide body car.
Rims size Up to you - Rim Width Wide - Offset Wide
Front B - Side B - Rear B - Wing Custom

Laping easy 2:07 on Tokyo rain. You can use on any other turny grippy track using medium tires like on Nordschleife. Top car. The kind of road cars i enjoy the most on GT7.

Congrats to @mr_trademark for the wonderfull livery.
t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg
t4.jpg

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.

Last edited:

Originals specs:
Engine
LubricationDry sump
BHP/Liter154 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Bodyfibreglass
Steeringrack-and-pinion
Brakesdiscs, all-round
Gearbox6 speed Manual
DriveRear wheel drive

Dimensions

Performance figures

Race history
Major wins

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
What can I say @praiano63, you've created another masterpiece! You are the true maestro.

I don't know if you're into wine at all, but when evaluating wine, we talk about mouthfeel, the way the wine feels in your mouth on the palate, and it's balance.

Your tunes, like this one, remind me of a great wine - perfect balance and lovely mouthfeel. Such a pleasure to drive!

I have to say that I was curious, and I took your tune and swapped out SM tires, added some power, and took 25 seconds off of my time around the Tokyo rain event. I tried SH, but with the extra power gained by adding ballast it's just too squirrelly in the wet.

Tire wear does become an issue starting around lap 8 or 9 so care must be taken. I found with the SM tires that dampers on the rear two points each, to 38 and 48, seems to ease the wear just enough to keep it from being a big problem.

Anyway, I love this car and this tune. Thanks again as always!

What can I say @praiano63, you've created another masterpiece! You are the true maestro.

I don't know if you're into wine at all, but when evaluating wine, we talk about mouthfeel, the way the wine feels in your mouth on the palate, and it's balance.

Your tunes, like this one, remind me of a great wine - perfect balance and lovely mouthfeel. Such a pleasure to drive!

I have to say that I was curious, and I took your tune and swapped out SM tires, added some power, and took 25 seconds off of my time around the Tokyo rain event. I tried SH, but with the extra power gained by adding ballast it's just too squirrelly in the wet.

Tire wear does become an issue starting around lap 8 or 9 so care must be taken. I found with the SM tires that dampers on the rear two points each, to 38 and 48, seems to ease the wear just enough to keep it from being a big problem.

Anyway, I love this car and this tune. Thanks again as always!

About wine ? I've born in the wine in the south of france. Working the harvest (vendanges) since age of 8. My region is almost 100% wine. Tradition.
About the medium tires , i prefer grip option . I love the bends. This is my fun during this race.

Toyota MR2 GT-S '97 - 600PP - Sport Hard - Tokyo -1.29

Wide body car.
Rims size Up to you - Rim Width Wide - Offset Wide
Front B - Side B - Rear B - Wing Custom

Laping easy 2:07 on Tokyo rain. You can use on any other turny grippy track using medium tires like on Nordschleife. Top car. The kind of road cars i enjoy the most on GT7.

Congrats to @mr_trademark for the wonderfull livery.
View attachment 1238611View attachment 1238612View attachment 1238613View attachment 1238614

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
Yesssss!!! I bought one of these, and have been meaning to ask for an update. Thank you sir! I am really coming to realise just how much time you must be spending on each and every one of these cars you tune. I'm building my garage slowly, but still find myself returning to the A220. It's so spot on.

So, I'm gonna ask instead, whether you're planning an update for any of these: Gran Turismo F1500T-A; Peugeot 908 HDI; Audi R8 LMS Evo; Chaparral 2J 70 or the Corvette C7 Gr3?

And how is your fund for PSVR going?

Yesssss!!! I bought one of these, and have been meaning to ask for an update. Thank you sir! I am really coming to realise just how much time you must be spending on each and every one of these cars you tune. I'm building my garage slowly, but still find myself returning to the A220. It's so spot on.

So, I'm gonna ask instead, whether you're planning an update for any of these: Gran Turismo F1500T-A; Peugeot 908 HDI; Audi R8 LMS Evo; Chaparral 2J 70 or the Corvette C7 Gr3?

And how is your fund for PSVR going?
The fund for PSVR2 is already ok. The problem is that there is no PSVR available in france. My brother who live there travel to brasil today but he didn't be able to buy any there. Impossible without a preorder. I'll have to wait somebody else later , from US or EU. Here in brasil it's USD 900. No way.

The fund for PSVR2 is already ok. The problem is that there is no PSVR available in france. My brother who live there travel to brasil today but he didn't be able to buy any there. Impossible without a preorder. I'll have to wait somebody else later , from US or EU. Here in brasil it's USD 900. No way.
In Switzerland we have plenty to sell... 599 Euro in Retail. I sold mine after a week because I was getting sooo damn sick...

Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09 - 700 PP - Racing Hard Tires - All Track - 1.25

Same performance as the GT3 '16 , similar handling , excelent driving sensation. The '16 can have a nasty behavior mid hairpin turn at very slow speed. This one don't. Perfect car.

Rims 19" - Width Wide - Offset Wide

WIDE BODY ON.
Front St
Side St
Rear St
Wing A

View attachment 1202677View attachment 1202678View attachment 1202679View attachment 1202680
View attachment 1121876

>((((°>°°°°°°
Enjoy your drive.
Great Tune, big Thanks 😃👍🏻

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Pack '18 - 700PP - Racing Hard tires - All track - 1.27

Wide Car
Rims 19" Width Wide Offset Wide
Rear St
Wing Custom

Top car on Nordschleife 6:28 for an easy soft and fast ride. Very good to drive at 100% without mistakes.
For Le Mans , only 2 laps on FM4

View attachment 1220945View attachment 1220946View attachment 1220947View attachment 1220948
View attachment 1164242

>((((°>°°°°°°

Enjoy your drive.
Excellent tune. Even maxed out at 955 hp. Will easily hit 218mph at LeMans with a little taller 6th gear. Thanks.

Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09 - 700 PP - Racing Hard Tires - All Track - 1.25

Same performance as the GT3 '16 , similar handling , excelent driving sensation. The '16 can have a nasty behavior mid hairpin turn at very slow speed. This one don't. Perfect car.

Rims 19" - Width Wide - Offset Wide

WIDE BODY ON.
Front St
Side St
Rear St
Wing A

View attachment 1202677View attachment 1202678View attachment 1202679View attachment 1202680
View attachment 1121876

>((((°>°°°°°°
Enjoy your drive.
Love the livery! Gonna try this one out on Le Mans tonight

Back