Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Go to www.gran-turismo.com/jp for a slightly (emphasis on slightly) different video IN STEREO. And I must say Hong Kong looks ridiculously good, and at the beginning with the pit crew you will notice the members with the microphone and camera. Polyphony rendered themslves into the video LOL!!!!!!!!

Yeah that video is like this apart from the 350z bit
*2 sec Shot of cars passing*
black screen
black screen
black screen
black screen
*GRAN TURISMO LOGO*

Yeah, pretty annoying and not that impressive.

And Duke, I agree. There are some fundamental issues with GT4 that need to be addressed before we start getting into the details. The AI, the rabbit issue, real online play, and better physics (although I think GT offers the best physics of any game currently out) are the things that I want out of GT5.

I was thinking in buying a Xbox360, looking at Forza 2 and PGR4. But that thinking was like 10 mins ago. Those pictures look amazing, the interior is great, same with the sound (hope the same for the in-game sound), 8 cars, great. I don't care if there is no damage. Now I just have to save for a PS3.

Got it. ON 17th there is event in Tokyo called "PlayStation Premiere". There, Kojima san will showcase MGS4 playable demo for the first time, and Kaz will probably make an announcement regarding GT5:P baby.

New 5 days to wait. Sony still hasn't made any hard-paper fact-sheet about GT5:P, so we are still in the dark..

I'm glad to see they FINALLY got the ****ing sounds right. As for the physics that's still the most important thing in question. If they don't get that right it's gonna collect dust just like GT4 is.

So let me get this straight... there was supposed to be a hands-on demo of this GT5 Prologue deal. What ends up happening is that there was some problem with the controller not vibrating? Conspiracy theorists on GTPlanet (I know there are some here) probably think this is just to hide that there's no real demo of this GT5 Prologue. So they patch things up like this to p*ss off GT fans like myself. G4 better show off some kind of demo of this deal, or G4's getting some negative rep from me.

So let me get this straight... ...negative rep from me.

John, can you explain this? What demo? As I know, no playable-demo of GT5:P was scheduled for E3?

There is most intresting qoute from 1Up podcast (thanx to SolidSnakex from NeoGaf for being first to listen):

"I talked to the guys that are working on it (GT5 Prologue) and that was all from the version coming out this November. And as far as going in and out of the car you can do that, you can play with the camera.."

Novemember now being almost official. Nice :).

Whole podcast available here, GT5:P talks begins at 1:00:18.

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/071107.mp3

It gets very intresting from this point, waiting for 17th July (Tokyo PlayStation event) even more. Also notice that full info can be expected not before Tokyo Game Show which starts at 20th September.

"I talked to the guys that are working on it (GT5 Prologue) and that was all from the version coming out this November. And as far as going in and out of the car you can do that, you can play with the camera.."
Hah, just happened to listen to that part now…

amar, this December will mark the 10th anniversary of the series—PD would be silly not to release something to celebrate ;). I predict a December release in Asia & Japan, Europe and NA will follow, similar to GT4.

I wasn’t expecting to see GT until TGS so this was a nice surprise, though the ‘photomode’ sections from the trailer (GT-R Proto '05 in London) look really unpolished, but as a teaser for the Type B movie (July 17th event) and/or Tokyo Game & Motor shows, I'm really intrigued as to what they’re ready to show…

Also, I’m not convinced on the car sounds PD used, like the GT4 intro movie they sound seem to me as post production elements, specifically with the SuperGT Xanavi Z. Whilst the soundtrack suggests some gear changes, the driver clearly doesn’t shift at all.

.. I predict a December release in Asia & Japan, Europe and NA will follow, similar to GT4...

Somehow I hope you're wrong on this, and I hope for a simultanious release worldwide, because it would be move towards the strategy that SCE is trying to achive with all new titles. Also, I'm still not convicted in whole "demo 2 donwload" talks that can be found around net, since I strongly beleive this is going to be a hard-copy (Blu-Ray) game-format-release.

Somehow I hope you're wrong on this, and I hope for a simultanious release worldwide, because it would be move towards the strategy that SCE is trying to achive with all new titles. Also, I'm still not convicted in whole "demo 2 donwload" talks that can be found around net, since I strongly beleive this is going to be a hard-copy (Blu-Ray) game-format-release.
As much as I’d like to be wrong, Yamauchi was quite adamant at last year’s TGS that PD would like to first release it (at the time GTHD) in their homeland to iron out problems, and then to release it worldwide.

Hopefully because of the way the SCE Worldwide Studios have been setup there can be a simultaneous Western release, and not so much of a SCEE/SCEA divide. Though because of the amount of legalese and licensing across territories, I’m going to again pull a Mr. Negativity.

Out of curiously, so far, have any 1st party PS3 titles launched simultaneously?

Man The Sounds The Sounds!!
I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about the sound yet either... if you recall, the opening movie in the final version of GT4 has amazing sound, which bears zero resemblance to the sound of driving the same cars in the game.

I'm just wondering why they haven't put a downloadable version of the trailer on the Playstation Store. I guess I'll just have to transfer the video Duck linked earlier to the PS3 instead...

Also, I’m not convinced on the car sounds PD used, like the GT4 intro movie they sound seem to me as post production elements, specifically with the SuperGT Xanavi Z. Whilst the soundtrack suggests some gear changes, the driver clearly doesn’t shift at all.

Maybe because the SuperGT is CGI?

If you watch though, the driver of the Audi R8 clearly shifts.

Maybe because the SuperGT is CGI?
CGI? It’s a video game, what else is it going to be? :P

As you mention the driver of the R8 shifts*, so why doesn’t the prerendered Xanavi driver do the same? Considering that PD’s got a track record of falsifying the authenticity of the cars’ audio for promotional purposes, I’m going to go with that, rather than a simple modelling goof.

*take note that the audio for the R8 is clearly accelerating (with an upshift), when in actual fact the car’s braking, and takes the hairpin that its clearly decelerated for…

Bah. the only thing "great" about the video is the sounds, which obviously have nothing to do with the cars, as it's all totaly wrong. i hope.. no, beg for a GT game to sound like this. They keep feeding us good sounds, i find it hard to beleve that they wont "eventualy" deliver on those promises. well, not long to wait. We will see when GT5:P comes out. and if not GT5:P, then i'll cross my fingers for GT5.. and GT6... and...

I'm I the only one that is bummed that there were only 6 cars on screen? Wasn't there supposed to be 20? And I was hoping they would have at least showed some race car damage but none of that either. It was pretty but nothing new.

To anyone reading the sum up on IGN for the GT5 demo, i found this extremely funny, "The demo trailer started with a pit crew poring over a Ferrari before it tore down a race track." I guess they think any nice looking car thats red could be a Ferrari haha!

I'm I the only one that is bummed that there were only 6 cars on screen? Wasn't there supposed to be 20? And I was hoping they would have at least showed some race car damage but none of that either. It was pretty but nothing new.
There's 8 cars now.
Bah. the only thing "great" about the video is the sounds, which obviously have nothing to do with the cars, as it's all totaly wrong. i hope.. no, beg for a GT game to sound like this. They keep feeding us good sounds, i find it hard to beleve that they wont "eventualy" deliver on those promises. well, not long to wait. We will see when GT5:P comes out. and if not GT5:P, then i'll cross my fingers for GT5.. and GT6... and...

Why would they not deliver on sounds? The Audi R8 was actual footage and it featured extremely realistic sounds.

Why would they not deliver on sounds? The Audi R8 was actual footage and it featured extremely realistic sounds.
Yeah, but who can guarantee without doubt that those sounds were ingame, too? There were so many GT ingame videos with post-edited sound in the past. I also think that those sounds weren't ingame. I'm not saying we won't ever get such sounds, and I'm not saying the PS3 can't make those sounds. I just think they were not in that scene at the very moment.

Back