Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,401 comments
  • 277,074 views
Loving the overhead shots of the GT4 race.
 
We put together this little behind the scenes video from the B6H if anyone is interested:

Thanks for posting this behind the scenes look at your 6-hour.
I thoroughly enjoyed watching what went on, that you never see on the TV.
Regardless of whether you're outright or fighting for the Class win.
I've added myself as subscriber to the YouTube channel, and am looking forward to seeing more vids.
 
Thanks for posting this behind the scenes look at your 6-hour.
I thoroughly enjoyed watching what went on, that you never see on the TV.
Regardless of whether you're outright or fighting for the Class win.
I've added myself as subscriber to the YouTube channel, and am looking forward to seeing more vids.
Thanks mate, trying to do a better job with the socials this year :)
 
Rintoule described the ever-changing nature of future plans in motorsport, noting her sights are now set on a possible GT future pathway.

“I think anything can happen, and if you would have asked me two years ago, it would have been Supercars, if you would ask me today, it would be hopefully getting a GT factory drive anywhere I possibly can,” Rintoule said.
That’s what I felt the category would do. Good options for drivers here.
 

Should be fun to watch...for those that can.

As I've said elsewhere, I applaud Jordan for having a go.

A rotary RX-7 makes a whole lot more sense, and is a lot more credible to me than a V8 Volvo or a LS motor in an 80s Supra.

At least allow the Supra lover to run a Lexus V8 or one of the Turbo sixes from the later models.

As for the RX-7, even the most insane bridgeport 13B will only have around half the power of the front running V8s.

That means the rotary will need to be super lightweight, have similar width tyres, and awesome stoppers.

Even then, he'll get swamped at the rolling start, and need the race to stay green - the longer the better.
 
It starts to become less TCM and more Group C2 or ATCC2.
 
Here's a video from the weekend at Morgan Park with QLD Production Cars. We got the round win with class Pole Position, 2 wins and a 2nd. Unfortunately also ended up with some damage while my codriver was in the car, towards the end of the video.
 
It starts to become less TCM and more Group C2 or ATCC2.
They can try but those in the know know where to find the genuine cars and history.
Here's a video from the weekend at Morgan Park with QLD Production Cars. We got the round win with class Pole Position, 2 wins and a 2nd. Unfortunately also ended up with some damage while my codriver was in the car, towards the end of the video.

The car looks very well setup for MP. So stable under brakes with a reliable front end that goes where it is pointed, even when you're not in your preferred gear.
I guess the gearbox problem was in relation to 2nd gear?
Looking at the footage from the final race, it seemed to have not made it out of pitlane & may have left MP early...
Crazy move by the spacer in the Bimmer 🤪
Did they come to apologise, or did they have a differing viewpoint?
Sorry you've now got panel damage to go with the sick 'box when you're looking to move on.
 
They can try but those in the know know where to find the genuine cars and history.

The car looks very well setup for MP. So stable under brakes with a reliable front end that goes where it is pointed, even when you're not in your preferred gear.
I guess the gearbox problem was in relation to 2nd gear?
Looking at the footage from the final race, it seemed to have not made it out of pitlane & may have left MP early...
Crazy move by the spacer in the Bimmer 🤪
Did they come to apologise, or did they have a differing viewpoint?
Sorry you've now got panel damage to go with the sick 'box when you're looking to move on.
He came to apologise yeah. He spun by himself later in the race too and didn't clamp the brake, rolling across the track. Chris nearly hit him again 🤣
Just very average driving by a guy who clearly isn't at the level he needs to be to drive such a fast car. Needs to get himself a slower car and spend some time learning car control, before he wrecks someone.

The gearbox issue was actually for 3rd and 4th. Very mushy, hard to find. So Chris opted to reduce the number of shifts required and just not go back to 2nd. I was still using 2nd in my stint, kind of learned how to drive around it and was able to get in the lead. But Chris's job was just to bring it home clean (ironically 🤣) as we only needed to finish 2nd or 3rd to get the round win.
 
He came to apologise yeah. He spun by himself later in the race too and didn't clamp the brake, rolling across the track. Chris nearly hit him again 🤣
Just very average driving by a guy who clearly isn't at the level he needs to be to drive such a fast car. Needs to get himself a slower car and spend some time learning car control, before he wrecks someone.

The gearbox issue was actually for 3rd and 4th. Very mushy, hard to find. So Chris opted to reduce the number of shifts required and just not go back to 2nd. I was still using 2nd in my stint, kind of learned how to drive around it and was able to get in the lead. But Chris's job was just to bring it home clean (ironically 🤣) as we only needed to finish 2nd or 3rd to get the round win.
That was good of him to at least recognise it was on him and not Chris.
He will have no doubt drawn the attention of the officials for a quiet chat, perhaps an endorsement on the licence. I couldnt tell if he was still on the P's.
Is Chris one of your fellow podium place getters from the 6hr?
Do you think the gearbox issue might be that middle gate linkage, or something internal?
 
That was good of him to at least recognise it was on him and not Chris.
He will have no doubt drawn the attention of the officials for a quiet chat, perhaps an endorsement on the licence. I couldnt tell if he was still on the P's.
Is Chris one of your fellow podium place getters from the 6hr?
Do you think the gearbox issue might be that middle gate linkage, or something internal?
He raced at the 6h last year, so he must be off his Ps. Unfortunately our DSO had already left. I lodged a complaint with the committee but got not a lot back. Like we have this whole penalty points system, but whats the point if it doesn't get used. I'll be following it up though because something needs to happen.

IT definitely feels like a selector related issue in the box. I'm gonna lift the car up and yank it out in the next few days and put the fresh spare in, and get this one back off to my transmission guy to sort out.
 
He raced at the 6h last year, so he must be off his Ps. Unfortunately our DSO had already left. I lodged a complaint with the committee but got not a lot back. Like we have this whole penalty points system, but whats the point if it doesn't get used. I'll be following it up though because something needs to happen.

IT definitely feels like a selector related issue in the box. I'm gonna lift the car up and yank it out in the next few days and put the fresh spare in, and get this one back off to my transmission guy to sort out.
Good to know all drivers have to be off their P's to race in the 6hr. Something i had assumed but never noticed by the lack of P plates on any cars.
How the DSO is allowed to leave the meeting BEFORE the racing for their category is all finished for the weekend, just doesn't make sense to me on any level. Who thinks that is ok?
I don't understand the lack of action from the committee either. That frustrates the hell out of me and I only have a passionate interest in the class invested here.
I'm glad you're going to follow it up, and I know I'd be making some noise about it too.
Hopefully, some good news about the 'box so what's next on the calendar?
 
Good to know all drivers have to be off their P's to race in the 6hr. Something i had assumed but never noticed by the lack of P plates on any cars.
How the DSO is allowed to leave the meeting BEFORE the racing for their category is all finished for the weekend, just doesn't make sense to me on any level. Who thinks that is ok?
I don't understand the lack of action from the committee either. That frustrates the hell out of me and I only have a passionate interest in the class invested here.
I'm glad you're going to follow it up, and I know I'd be making some noise about it too.
Hopefully, some good news about the 'box so what's next on the calendar?
Yeah, its annoying, but at the same time everyone is volunteering so can't get too upset. I was going to do a round with NSW Prod Cars down at SMSP in around 3 weeks but I'm also really busy with work and not sure I'll have the time to fix the car and prep to a level I'm happy with. Might skip it. Shame, as I really want to experience SMSP. Maybe later on, or next year.

So after that is another enduro round at Queensland Raceway, in July. I've invited Chris again - yep hes one of the drivers from the 6 hour. His brother Brendan was the other. Both absolutely awesome guys. Then there is an event at Lakeside in Aug - its not with QPC, its actually a round of a small QLD 86 series thats trying to get off the ground. Only 3 rounds, but 1 and 3 both clash with QPC. Round 2 is Lakeside however and I'm in love with that place.

Its a bit weird though as this series is open to basically all 86s including forced induction. To try and make it fair, they are planning to implement a min laptime of 61 seconds. I can get around there in the 59 second range though so I feel they've made it too slow. I did mention that, but they argued that most people racing 86s are in the 61 - 62 range. So thats turning me off a bit but won't stop me from entering. And as its non championship I'll just go full tilt and cop the penalties, just to prove a point.

Not trying to sound over confident, I just really love the place and seem to go well there. Last year when QPC raced there, I qualified on the front row, outright. Splitting 2 X-Class BMWs and in front of all the A, B and C class cars. I'm told it was a production spec 86 record - only E85 powered cars with fatter tires have gone quicker.

Heres a video from one of those races. For context, the BMW I'm racing was originally a C class car but somehow they got approval to move down to D, and as you can see its a bloody rocketship on the straights. I qualified with a 59 and him a 61 but because its a long run to the first corner, got dominated and was just stuck the entire race. At the time I was fuming but what do you do haha. Still driving a racecar so can't complain too much lol

 
Yeah, its annoying, but at the same time everyone is volunteering so can't get too upset. I was going to do a round with NSW Prod Cars down at SMSP in around 3 weeks but I'm also really busy with work and not sure I'll have the time to fix the car and prep to a level I'm happy with. Might skip it. Shame, as I really want to experience SMSP. Maybe later on, or next year.

So after that is another enduro round at Queensland Raceway, in July. I've invited Chris again - yep hes one of the drivers from the 6 hour. His brother Brendan was the other. Both absolutely awesome guys. Then there is an event at Lakeside in Aug - its not with QPC, its actually a round of a small QLD 86 series thats trying to get off the ground. Only 3 rounds, but 1 and 3 both clash with QPC. Round 2 is Lakeside however and I'm in love with that place.

Its a bit weird though as this series is open to basically all 86s including forced induction. To try and make it fair, they are planning to implement a min laptime of 61 seconds. I can get around there in the 59 second range though so I feel they've made it too slow. I did mention that, but they argued that most people racing 86s are in the 61 - 62 range. So thats turning me off a bit but won't stop me from entering. And as its non championship I'll just go full tilt and cop the penalties, just to prove a point.

Not trying to sound over confident, I just really love the place and seem to go well there. Last year when QPC raced there, I qualified on the front row, outright. Splitting 2 X-Class BMWs and in front of all the A, B and C class cars. I'm told it was a production spec 86 record - only E85 powered cars with fatter tires have gone quicker.

Heres a video from one of those races. For context, the BMW I'm racing was originally a C class car but somehow they got approval to move down to D, and as you can see its a bloody rocketship on the straights. I qualified with a 59 and him a 61 but because its a long run to the first corner, got dominated and was just stuck the entire race. At the time I was fuming but what do you do haha. Still driving a racecar so can't complain too much lol


Yeah the volunteer thing does make it somewhat difficult, but if you make a commitment to the role, that kinda requires seeing that through to the end in my book.
When I was a Flaggie, our Chief would rather you commit to the full day or not bother.
The class of cars, the level of the meeting, and the weather conditions always weeded out the non-hackers when it came to the crunch.
Maybe there's something in you being really busy, and where you are with the preparation of the car, that's hinting at missing the Creek this time around?
I'm a bit funny with subliminal messages and things like that.
Looking back at the laps you posted from the 6hr, and at MP, Chris looks like a reliable co-driver with enough mechanical sympathy for your car. There's a lot of blokes in the record books who didn't have the reputation.
I get what you're saying about Lakeside. I fell in love with watching the races from there in the Group A days, including the support races.
A real driver's circuit where the organic component can make a real difference to the lap time....when you've got a clear track. Unfortunately, not the easiest to pass at if the cards don't fall your way to some degree.
I was hoping you'd get close enough for a dive into the Carousel or Hungry, but he had the ponies on the 86. I felt your frustration and it reminded me of Longhurst in the M3 versus the rest. Having to wait until they spent their rubber and brakes.
Not sure if you know, but you get around Lakeside quick enough to qualify top ten for the 1985 ATCC.
P.6 Crichton JPS 635 59.2
P.7 Bondy in the Alfa 59.3,
P.8 Longhurst in the 323i 59.5
P.9 Kent Baigent 635 59.7
P.10 Masterton VK 60.0 (I know who owns this car now)
P.11 Willo in the Supra 60.5
That ain't hanging around in an 86.
Pole was 58.1 set by Richo in his 635 with the choice of the best Pirelli could offer.
Best of the Toyota Team Australia cars was John Smith in the AE86 coupe at 61.0
 
Yeah the volunteer thing does make it somewhat difficult, but if you make a commitment to the role, that kinda requires seeing that through to the end in my book.
When I was a Flaggie, our Chief would rather you commit to the full day or not bother.
The class of cars, the level of the meeting, and the weather conditions always weeded out the non-hackers when it came to the crunch.
Maybe there's something in you being really busy, and where you are with the preparation of the car, that's hinting at missing the Creek this time around?
I'm a bit funny with subliminal messages and things like that.
Looking back at the laps you posted from the 6hr, and at MP, Chris looks like a reliable co-driver with enough mechanical sympathy for your car. There's a lot of blokes in the record books who didn't have the reputation.
I get what you're saying about Lakeside. I fell in love with watching the races from there in the Group A days, including the support races.
A real driver's circuit where the organic component can make a real difference to the lap time....when you've got a clear track. Unfortunately, not the easiest to pass at if the cards don't fall your way to some degree.
I was hoping you'd get close enough for a dive into the Carousel or Hungry, but he had the ponies on the 86. I felt your frustration and it reminded me of Longhurst in the M3 versus the rest. Having to wait until they spent their rubber and brakes.
Not sure if you know, but you get around Lakeside quick enough to qualify top ten for the 1985 ATCC.
P.6 Crichton JPS 635 59.2
P.7 Bondy in the Alfa 59.3,
P.8 Longhurst in the 323i 59.5
P.9 Kent Baigent 635 59.7
P.10 Masterton VK 60.0 (I know who owns this car now)
P.11 Willo in the Supra 60.5
That ain't hanging around in an 86.
Pole was 58.1 set by Richo in his 635 with the choice of the best Pirelli could offer.
Best of the Toyota Team Australia cars was John Smith in the AE86 coupe at 61.0
For sure, I somewhat agree with your stance re the volunteering. DSO is a really important role.

Yeah Chris and Brendan did an awesome job. They both loved the experience too. They kind of got lucky too with the way the race played out and their stints. I started and got us through to the first safety car within CPS window - very busy track as you can imagine with 70odd cars taking up the same real estate. That kind of put us offset and the guys got relatively clear running and long green flag conditions to really get into a groove pace wise. Then I jumped in for the final 2ish hours and it was safety car after safety car, meaning very busy track again on the restarts - didnt really get a chance to put down any competitive times due to all the chaos.

Thats the only downside to the 6hr. Its great for spectators but the amount of cars is pretty insane from the drivers seat. Great experience though. Nothing much better than being fully committed in a racecar from the cutting to forrest elbow.
 
70 odd cars with such a wide difference in lap times, made the start hectic enough.
The restarts with some of the X class coming through, three-wide on the straights had me holding my breathe.
So no doubt it had your heart rate up.

No finer stretch of racetrack in the southern hemisphere than The Cutting to the Elbow.
Looked so enjoyable in a well setup car like your 86.
I would've loved access to the sector 2 times to see how close to the front you were.
Imagine if they set the grid from those times alone...
 
The wonderful European GT4 series returns this weekend at Monza!



 
Some cars treating the curbs as launch ramps getting all four wheels off the ground.
 
Shame about the start penalty on the Mustang. Nice to see a Lotus get the Pro-Am win. The #1 Audi just not having great luck this year.
 
Some cars treating the curbs as launch ramps getting all four wheels off the ground.
Amazing how drivers get better at avoiding kerbs the more chance there is that they will cause damage to the car, and/or they make for a slower lap time.
 
Back