Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Really enjoying PC2.

There are some frustrations, but the way the cars handle is by far the best I've ever felt on a console... and each car has a completely different feel... it's quite lovely. And I've now found some FF settings I'm happy with in most cars... the FF is absolutely brilliant... you can feel the car moving around over bumps, and the suspension loading and unloading.

Not without it's frustrations though... the AI is a bit inconsistent (super fast at some tracks, and in some cars, slow in others), and they always get a perfect start. Some of the cars the do require some tuning to make them driveable.

I only realised last night that the career section runs horizontally :lol:

I've been playing vertically - finishing all the events in a tier before moving to the next. Makes much more sense now I've realised my mistake. I'm running the Cayman championship at the moment. Previously I'd done the Ginetta GT5. Difference in feel between the 2 cars is night and day.

Oh... and the engine sounds... brilliant.

Oh wow... I'm nearly at the opposite side of the spectrum! I like PC2 for the cars variety, the number of tracks, the polished overall game with all the features, bells and whistles...
However, as for FFB I find it very weak and poor; I love Assetto's FFB; i'm on the G29 and have tried nearly every possible combo on PC2 (on AC I use FFB 75 and everything else set to zero).
And the most disappointing thing for me in this game is the sounds! The volume is very weak and low on USB output, albeit rich and nice!
(refer to this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-overall-volume-still-too-low.362365/page-11)

Oh wow... I'm nearly at the opposite side of the spectrum! I like PC2 for the cars variety, the number of tracks, the polished overall game with all the features, bells and whistles...
However, as for FFB I find it very weak and poor; I love Assetto's FFB; i'm on the G29 and have tried nearly every possible combo on PC2 (on AC I use FFB 75 and everything else set to zero).
And the most disappointing thing for me in this game is the sounds! The volume is very weak and low on USB output, albeit rich and nice!
(refer to this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-overall-volume-still-too-low.362365/page-11)

Are you using a PC?

I tried AC with a G29 on PS4, and ended up buying a T300 2 weeks later... the FF deadzone was horrible, and made placing the car in to fast corners, or correcting small slides almost impossible. I was seriously considering dumping the game before I got the T300.

Also on AC... Although it seems to be widely accepted that AC is the best (or one of) sims available, I didn't rate it at all... the cars have no feeling of rotation in to the corners - either when trail braking, or when easing the throttle to kill mid corner understeer. I never thought weight transfer was modeled correctly. And the tyre model that sends your tyres red after a small slide and then they don't cool down for 2 laps leaving you with zero grip is rubbish.

The only car I really enjoyed driving was the 991 Cup... and I still boot the game up occasionally to drive this car at Zandvoort.

I know it goes against the grain, but I think AC is the emperors new clothes... and I played it to completion (one of only a handful of people to get platinum), so that's not a decision based on a few hours play.

In PC2, the cars feel very natural to drive, with properly modeled weight transfer. But I'm only about 30hrs in so far, and I've yet to drive any of the higher class cars (I think grp5 is the highest I've driven)... hopefully they all 'feel right'.

I'm playing PC2 on PS4, through my TV, with a soundbar and sub... the sound is excellent, though does need to be a few bars higher on the volume control compared to, say, GTS.

T300 here...

I've been using 50 for all the FF settings except the last one, which I have at 40.

At 1st, it felt strange to have the steering feel so different on each car... coming from GTS, where all the car feel broadly the same. But I've quickly got used to it and I like it now... plus makes sense that different cars have different steering feel.

But all the cars are driveable and reactive to countersteer? My issue is that i can setup one car properly, but then the next car X is anywhere from too strong to literally nonexistent. -> Ginetta GT5 to KTM X-Bow on wet.

So far, so good, but like I said, I haven't driven even 10% of the cars yet.

Ginetta GT5 felt fine - I did that Championship on Sunday and pretty sure one of the races was in the wet. Settings also worked on the Radical, Cayman, Formula C and all of the invitational and advocate events I've done so far (pretty varied selection of cars, from vintage open wheelers to off road trucks)... I've also done the X-Bow event at Snetterton in the wet (using 'summer' tyres).

After running a couple of rounds of the GRP4 Championship last night, I took the 962 to Nurb for a bit of fun... really surprised how easy it was to drive... no traction issues from 3rd gear upwards, and was ran close to 6 mins flat on my 2nd lap.

Are you using a PC?

I tried AC with a G29 on PS4, and ended up buying a T300 2 weeks later... the FF deadzone was horrible, and made placing the car in to fast corners, or correcting small slides almost impossible. I was seriously considering dumping the game before I got the T300.

Also on AC... Although it seems to be widely accepted that AC is the best (or one of) sims available, I didn't rate it at all... the cars have no feeling of rotation in to the corners - either when trail braking, or when easing the throttle to kill mid corner understeer. I never thought weight transfer was modeled correctly. And the tyre model that sends your tyres red after a small slide and then they don't cool down for 2 laps leaving you with zero grip is rubbish.

The only car I really enjoyed driving was the 991 Cup... and I still boot the game up occasionally to drive this car at Zandvoort.

I know it goes against the grain, but I think AC is the emperors new clothes... and I played it to completion (one of only a handful of people to get platinum), so that's not a decision based on a few hours play.

In PC2, the cars feel very natural to drive, with properly modeled weight transfer. But I'm only about 30hrs in so far, and I've yet to drive any of the higher class cars (I think grp5 is the highest I've driven)... hopefully they all 'feel right'.

I'm playing PC2 on PS4, through my TV, with a soundbar and sub... the sound is excellent, though does need to be a few bars higher on the volume control compared to, say, GTS.

No I'm on PS4. Maybe I'm not too picky about the FF deadzone but I think it's normal! Move your real life car steering a bit around the center and you won't feel much; move it more and shake it and you will feel the weight shift, right?!

Now regarding the feel of cars in AC, I find it sublime (on my G29); I can feel the weight shift and I can feel the understeer and oversteer. I can feel everything I need (unless there's something that I don't know). Regarding the tire model, I always felt it's so natural and it takes like a long straight to cool them down.

When I got PC2, I was too involved with AC to the extent where I felt that PC2 is a ****** sim! The cars felt floating over the track and couldn't feel a single thing in FFB! After lots of tweaking and forcing myself to play the game (just to make it grow on me), I started liking the game bit by bit.
However, I still find that FFB/overall driving feel is much better in AC.

If I had to compare AC with PC2 in a short sentence, I would say: AC is quality, PC2 is quantity. (at least on PS4 where there's no AC mods)

PC2 has more content, lots of tracks, day and night, weather, lots of motorsport categories, lots of features and customization etc....
That's all great and lovely ! But when it comes to quality, I find AC graphics quality to be 10 times better (resolution, AA, etc...), the tracks modeling and quality 10 times better, etc...

In the end, I love both and drive both but each for different reasons. Pure fun and possibilities, PC2; Pure driving experience, AC. That's just me.

No I'm on PS4. Maybe I'm not too picky about the FF deadzone but I think it's normal! Move your real life car steering a bit around the center and you won't feel much; move it more and shake it and you will feel the weight shift, right?!

I'll focus on this bit as I think, for both of us, the rest is just subjective/opinion/what we prefer!

I own 2 cars... a 2017 VW Touareg R-line Plus and a 2000 Porsche 996. The steering on the 2 cars is completely different -

The Touareg has no steering 'feel' at all. The weighting is consistent throughout the wheel rotation, no matter the lateral loading or road surface - and you can load it pretty heavily despite its 2300kg weight as it has 285 section, 40 profile 21" tyres.

The Porsche is the complete opposite. Even driving along a relatively smooth, straight road, the steering wheel is constantly wriggling as it finds little bumps or minor changes in camber or surface. It's full of feel, whatever the road/speed/load.

I didn't have as much of an issue with the FF in AC on a T300 - only with the way the cars handled. However, the specific issue with the G29 on PS4 in AC is this... You're approaching a very fast corner, that needs only, for example, 10* of lock to get round... you start to turn the wheel, there's no initial resistance, then at, for example, 7* of lock, you suddenly get full FF. It's the same when making small corrections for minor oversteer... there's a big deadzone, where you get zero FF, which makes minor steering angles over difficult. It's still there with a T300, but much, much smaller.

After running a couple of rounds of the GRP4 Championship last night, I took the 962 to Nurb for a bit of fun... really surprised how easy it was to drive... no traction issues from 3rd gear upwards, and was ran close to 6 mins flat on my 2nd lap.
When you hit the long straight at the end of Nurb did the 962 make your T300 violently lurch from side to side so you had to fight to keep the wheel centred or was it ok? Mine does that, and in this car in particular, to the point where I don't like to drive it at certain tracks. Not sure how to tone it down without lowering the FFB. I figured it's just another glitch in the tyre/suspension model because I can't see how the real life car would handle like that. It's great otherwise.

Nahh i'm to busy driving my gtr to care about the opinion of some random youtuber 👍

I see he's a pro driver 👍 still his opinion doesn't change my enjoyment of pcars 2 :D
I need to try that GTR to know what's with your obsession about it :lol:

EDIT: And yeah he's a real driver who drives an Aston Martin GT3 car in the official Blancpain GT3 series. So he knows what he's talking about. (he tried AC, iRacing, RRE, etc...) That's why I'm sad and shocked.

When you hit the long straight at the end of Nurb did the 962 make your T300 violently lurch from side to side so you had to fight to keep the wheel centred or was it ok? Mine does that, and in this car in particular, to the point where I don't like to drive it at certain tracks. Not sure how to tone it down without lowering the FFB. I figured it's just another glitch in the tyre/suspension model because I can't see how the real life car would handle like that. It's great otherwise.

No, it’s fine.

I need to try that GTR to know what's with your obsession about it :lol:

EDIT: And yeah he's a real driver who drives an Aston Martin GT3 car in the official Blancpain GT3 series. So he knows what he's talking about. (he tried AC, iRacing, RRE, etc...) That's why I'm sad and shocked.

A few points on Nicki Thiim review of PC2

. In the youtube comments he says pcars 2 is a arcade game.

. I agree with this post http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-tried-pC2-!&p=1528687&viewfull=1#post1528687

. And also lets not forget this video

Oh damn that link you sent is blocked in my work! (not that I should be doing all of this at work anyways :lol:)
I'll watch that vid! :cheers:

EDIT:
Watched that vid and tbh and objective, that doesn't mean anything.
A guy can be gifted and he can drive GTS or F1 codemasters games! GT academy are the biggest example! Is GTS/GT6 a sim?! I know no one that can fully proclaim that but some GT players can definitely get into real racing and be champions!
That doesn't prove anything about the game! It proves the drivers talents!

In this case he had some input in the game which is great! I really hope the game is realistic but let's not forget most games do take real drivers feedback but they end up differing so much! So some devs don't seem to implement/translate that feedback pretty well in their games!
Funnily enough, my favorite car in PC2 is the GTE C7R which he was racing:cheers: its sound make me go :cool: :bowdown:

Last edited:
One thing started to bother me after longer session with the Porsche 911 GT3... First races felt fine, exciting and i probably drove over cautiously, but once i got more confident with the car i realized I couldn't really tell when i was overdriving the car... After that i started to hunt the car's limits at Laguna Seca and overshoot corners... Tried different methods to upset the car at mid corner and exit, but it sticked like glue excluding few easy controlled slides without greater risk factor... Unlike in AC.
...That's why like Assetto Corsa's (GT3) handling/tyre model more: Altought the grip might be too On/Off, i know exactly when i'm about to exceed the limit & definitely will be at risk if i do so!

the cars have no feeling of rotation in to the corners - either when trail braking, or when easing the throttle to kill mid corner understeer. I never thought weight transfer was modeled correctly. And the tyre model that sends your tyres red after a small slide and then they don't cool down for 2 laps leaving you with zero grip is rubbish. (<- Assetto Corsa)
Can't completely deny... But imo cars in PCars 2 are maybe even too willing to rotate and i get a sensation that the race cars are in constant "mild locked slide" with exaggerated feel of weight transfer.
Here's a video that sums up what i'm experiencing with the 911 GT3. Watch couple laps -> such movement for open wheeler seems off to me...

Last edited:
One thing started to bother me after longer session with the Porsche 911 GT3... First races felt fine, exciting and i probably drove over cautiously, but once i got more confident with the car i realized I couldn't really tell when i was overdriving the car... After that i started to hunt the car's limits at Laguna Seca and overshoot corners... Tried different methods to upset the car at mid corner and exit, but it sticked like glue excluding few easy controlled slides without greater risk factor... Unlike in AC.
...That's why like Assetto Corsa's (GT3) handling/tyre model more: Altought the grip might be too On/Off, i know exactly when i'm about to exceed the limit & definitely will be at risk if i do so!

Can't completely deny... But imo cars in PCars 2 are maybe even too willing to rotate and i get a sensation that the race cars are in constant "mild locked slide" with exaggerated feel of weight transfer.
Here's a video that sums up what i'm experiencing with the 911 GT3. Watch couple laps -> such movement for open wheeler seems off to me...

I think that’s probably personal preference – so far, I haven’t had a problem finding the grip limit on PC2, and I didn’t have a problem finding it on AC either.

The difference for me with AC is that once at the limit I couldn’t make the car do what I wanted it to do – in simple terms, I couldn’t make the car over rotate in to the corner to get it to the apex with less steering angle. I’m not talking about backing the car in to the corner, with the rear sliding… it’s more a feeling of needing less lock to get the car turned in.

In AC, I ended up breaking a corner down in to 3 phases… 1. Entry – simply a matter of managing front tyre grip – nothing I could do to make the rear help the car turn. 2. Mid corner – coast phase. 3) Exit – managing any oversteer… and here I have another problem with AC – I found it very difficult to find the rear tyre grip limit due to the way the tyre behave (the way they heat up and lose grip so quickly, with only a tiny slide).

The game became a bit boring… just driving round with the car nailed to the ground.

I should be able to trail brake in to the apex and feel the rear get light due to the weight transfer, helping the car in to the corner. I can do this in PC2, just like I can do this in my 996, and other cars I’ve owned over the 33 years I’ve been driving.

Regarding the posted video… I think the Formula C in PC2 is supposed to represent a Formula Ford (FF). That’s exactly how they drive!! To go fast in a FF you need to be sliding the car slightly all the time. They are fabulous to drive - I’ve driven them at Goodwood several times and also at Brands… though it was some years ago).

Cars with better tyres and a lot of downforce shouldn’t behave like this – and I haven’t driven them much in PC2 yet (I’m just about to start the GT3 Championship, so I’ll see how they feel and comment when I have a bit more wheel time).

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter… we can dissect the nuances of the physics models, but it’s what we find enjoyable that matters :)

The difference for me with AC is that once at the limit I couldn’t make the car do what I wanted it to do – in simple terms, I couldn’t make the car over rotate in to the corner to get it to the apex with less steering angle. I’m not talking about backing the car in to the corner, with the rear sliding… it’s more a feeling of needing less lock to get the car turned in.

...I should be able to trail brake in to the apex and feel the rear get light due to the weight transfer, helping the car in to the corner. I can do this in PC2, just like I can do this in my 996, and other cars I’ve owned over the 33 years I’ve been driving.
This is what I appreciate most about PCARS2's physics, as well as one of the main reasons I'm tired of Forza-style physics and other games that shackle you down with unrealistic understeer on corner entry. Even my old rusty Legacy wagon could be chucked into a corner more enthusiastically than mid- or rear-engined cars as depicted by Forza games, even ones with a reputation for being snap-oversteer deathtraps.

I haven't tried AC because I was unimpressed by its predecessor, netKar Pro, and there's little else about AC besides its physics to persuade me to give it a chance. I appreciate your feedback, particularly since your driving style appears to be similar to mine. :)

I think we agonize a little too much about nebulous labels like 'sim', 'simcade' and 'arcade'. It's a grey scale with no pure white ('sim') available at any price point mere mortals can afford.

I have all three of the big console titles, and each one does something better than the competition. For me, the biggest frustration is the fact that the most 'simcade' of the titles (GTS) is also the most 'pro' when it comes to putting together a coherent and flexible online experience. Both AC and PC2 offer a more robust emulation of the sport, but fail miserably offering anything but an extremely restricted online experience, tailored highly to the fortunate few who can dedicate hours a week to practice and qualy, and have fixed schedules to allow participation in organized leagues.

Probably the worst aspect of this is that it honestly would take far less effort for the already good physics and FFB games to add a copy of GTS's online experience than it would take for GTS to add AC and PC2's physics, FFB and deep content. But both games seem determined to not recognize that the strength of the GT franchise (and subsequent dominance of the market) comes not from ease of handling, but from ease of finding and participating in rooms that do whatever you feel like doing.

Just done 4 rounds of the GT3 championship followed by a couple of the invitationals... GTO and 720S. Race cars are much easier to drive.

GTO is awesome!

I think we agonize a little too much about nebulous labels like 'sim', 'simcade' and 'arcade'. It's a grey scale with no pure white ('sim') available at any price point mere mortals can afford.

I have all three of the big console titles, and each one does something better than the competition. For me, the biggest frustration is the fact that the most 'simcade' of the titles (GTS) is also the most 'pro' when it comes to putting together a coherent and flexible online experience. Both AC and PC2 offer a more robust emulation of the sport, but fail miserably offering anything but an extremely restricted online experience, tailored highly to the fortunate few who can dedicate hours a week to practice and qualy, and have fixed schedules to allow participation in organized leagues.

Probably the worst aspect of this is that it honestly would take far less effort for the already good physics and FFB games to add a copy of GTS's online experience than it would take for GTS to add AC and PC2's physics, FFB and deep content. But both games seem determined to not recognize that the strength of the GT franchise (and subsequent dominance of the market) comes not from ease of handling, but from ease of finding and participating in rooms that do whatever you feel like doing.

Spot on 👍

I also drive with a G29, is not the best wheel but for its price it's worth a lot and the pedals are like top pedals, graphics are ok considering everything the game moves, weather, dynamic light, live track.

I just bought Project Cars 2. It is absolutely amazing. The physics are incredible compared to the competition, as is the track list! Graphics are average, but the feel driving the cars with a G29 is sensational!
Oh really?! Wow! Just let me please know what combo you tried first in the game and what FFB seetings for your G29 you're using.

Back