Project CARS 2 Officially Revealed With New Trailer, Coming "Late 2017"

As much as I like the driving experience in AC, I'd never refer to it as a "solid game". Solid driving experience? Yes. Great FFB and immersion? Yes. Solid game. No, not IMO.

I very much agree. AC feels fantastic when driving, but other than that it's really not much of anything IMO, which is why 9/10 times I opt for PCars over AC when I sit down to play. I know AC is more realistic, but it is not engaging, dynamic, or exciting as a game to me. I won't throw my hat in the 'most realistic sim' ring, because I am in no way qualified to judge that argument, but I do know that between GT6, AC, DriveClub, and PCars, I'd pick PCars hands down because for me it's the most fulfilling game of the bunch (with DriveClub close behind even though it's not really a direct competitor). Flawed? Yes, but I love it anyways.

Additionally, when people reference the plethora of bugs that plagued PCars at launch, are they referring to the PC version? I've played it for quite some time now on PS4 and I don't think it's ever crashed or hiccuped once for me. As a result, I'll easily preorder PCars 2 because I can't see how I'll enjoy it less than PCars 1, and that's good enough for me.

pCars is the best simcade (if you dont need car customisation) and AC is the ONLY sim so it's easy the best one on console...

Is there any sim (PC or console) that is more realistic than AC? Honest curiosity here, I really wouldn't know.

In terms of driving, I don't think so. In terms of racing, definitely.

Ok, thanks. I just think that chasing the perfect simulation isn't really worth it for a great number of people. I'm never going to drive a GT3 car at Spa, so it PCars representation of this isn't perfect, what does it matter? If the game is something I want to keep playing, then we tend to keep buying it...and the great part about where the industry is right now is that there are of choices to fit different people.

Additionally, it will be hard to convince me that GT Sport isn't going to feel 'simcade-ish'. Surely it must be better than GT6, but in terms of realistic handling, GT6 is already so far behind the likes of Assetto Corsa that I don't see how PD are going to catch up in one title release. But I'm going to buy that too, so what do I know!

I think SMS just need to sort out the strange feeling on weightlessness of their cars' rear ends and they'll be onto a winner. Been playing pCARS again this week and there's this odd disconnected feeling through some tighter corners, where seemingly all FFB just vanishes from the wheel and it's like driving on ice, even when not sliding a lot.

I heard Ben Collins saying they were working on the tyres and what happens at the limit of grip, or over the limit, so hopefully this is something that will be improved for pCARS2. Not saying AC is the best game ever, but I feel Kunos really nailed the rear end grip sensation so you know what the car is doing at all times.

Well lets see. SMS has learned how to create oval tracks to cater to its NASCAR clients. They understand that most of their followers use the D-PAD controller vice steering wheels. (Something every game in the genre would do well to realize)

So the lone 800 pound gorilla is, will this game even play well on a first generation PS4? Somehow I suspect this flavor of PCars has PS4 Pro written all over it. I suspect the weather dynamics will cost regular PS4 users frame rate drops.
Is that not part of the reason GTS and Assetto Corsa chose to go without those features?

Don't think for a moment that SMS has somehow scoped every video game manufacturer in memory utilization.
Especially Polyphony Digital who presumably had an inside track on development for PS platforms.
I suspect SMS will optimize PC2 for the PS4 Pro and whatever the Xbox equivalent ends up being. In so doing, their release date could well end up being mid December 2017. Merry X-mas boy's and girls. Buy that time we all may have saved up for a PS4 pro. Or not.............................

Basically, in its simplest form, Simcade is a physics type that allows for realistic car handling, but toned down to make it more accessible for less experienced players. Thus why it's so popular for consoles.
And not because it was the first alternative to an old GT game?

I know it has a negative connotation, but if there was a dictionary entry for the word simcade it wouldn't say "simcade - a term used as an insult'
Exactly. I remember before the launch of Grid Autosport, one of their staff was in GTP answering questions and he readily referred to their physics model as simcade, a blend of simulation and arcade, so that people weren't under any illusions as to what they are getting. Others do use it as a pointless insult against games they don't like (or don't understand) but like a lot of words, it's all about context. Without a true, fixed definition though, there's a lot of room for interpretation as to which games fall into the simcade category, which are sims, arcade etc.

I know it has a negative connotation, but if there was a dictionary entry for the word simcade it wouldn't say "simcade - a term used as an insult'
The thing is, that's the only thing it's used for. No sim is full sim and no arcade is full arcade so you could argue that's every game.

SMS is really nailing it with drawing everyone's attention and interest to the game. Everything from the car and track content to statements of major changes in gameplay from Project Cars 1. The gameplay as it is now almost has me sold, but I'll wait until whatever they need to do for the game becomes more finalized.

Riblo really likes throwing that 'simcade' word around, so I'm going to ask:

At what exact point does an arcade game become a simcade, and a simcade become a sim?
How do you measure this empirically?
How do you measure subjectivity?

Surely anything that attempts to simulate something in the real world is a simulation?
Some simulate more / better, but they're all just simulating.

I prefer just to call them 'racing games'.

What's not to love, it's basically everything Forza Apex and GT Sport are trying to be, but with better graphics, better sound and more content!
Hardly, but that's all down to personal preference isn't it? The first game left a lot to be desired, I doubt this will be much better...

Hardly, but that's all down to personal preference isn't it? The first game left a lot to be desired, I doubt this will be much better...

Every game leaves something to be desired, so you are definitely spot on with regards to personal preference.

Riblo really likes throwing that 'simcade' word around, so I'm going to ask:

At what exact point does an arcade game become a simcade, and a simcade become a sim?
How do you measure this empirically?
How do you measure subjectivity?

Surely anything that attempts to simulate something in the real world is a simulation?
Some simulate more / better, but they're all just simulating.

I prefer just to call them 'racing games'.

With an emphasis on the word "GAMES". They are not real. They would be closer to real if the sensations were relayed to our "bums" rather than our hands. Even though our hands are very intelligent. The majority of what you feel and respond to as a race car driver or back and forth to work comes via your butt.

I am not using simcade as an insult cause i like simcades too and i played arcades like NfS in the past...
pCars is a funny game to play but the driving model is not as realistic as the one of AC is...
AC in the other hand has its faults but it's more rewarding as pure driving experience...

The best console game would be the physics and the laser scanned tracks from AC wwith the graphics and the career mode of pCars... And maybe a built in livery system for both cars and driver suits and helmet... This would be my ideal driving game...

By now i like more AC than pCars and i am waiting pCars2 and GTR3 to see who will be the new alpha male in driving simulations (my bet is on GTR3 cause it looks like to have the graphics on par with pcars but better physics)...

Somehow I suspect this flavor of PCars has PS4 Pro written all over it. I suspect the weather dynamics will cost regular PS4 users frame rate drops.
Is that not part of the reason GTS and Assetto Corsa chose to go without those features?
I'm gonna step in and say that you're wrong. Project CARS had the slight performance issues it had because, originally the game was designed for PS3 / Xbox 360; the decision to go on full next-gen came very late in the development of the game, and you can see some old gen stuff if you pay attention.

GT Sport could have had these features if they wanted but, you know why they don't? They are way too ambitious.
About Asetto Corsa...well, it's not their priority.

I'm gonna step in and say that you're wrong. Project CARS had the slight performance issues it had because, originally the game was designed for PS3 / Xbox 360; the decision to go on full next-gen came very late in the development of the game, and you can see some old gen stuff if you pay attention.

No harm no foul Wic. That is just what it "feels" like to me. The truth remains to be seen. Still not sure why PD just yanked day/night and "natural" weather changes. What did they enhance by removing those features?
Anyway...............absolutely love your avatar bro.

All pcars needs to fix is getting rid of bugs and FFB and improved physics. I don't see why people trash the game. It's really buggy now after 10 patches. And I'm guessing that some of these people can see the future because you got guys saying that it will be buggy again. Thanks for the heads up/s:rolleyes:

Latest Posts

Back