Project CARS 2 Will Feature Fully Manual Animated Pit Stops

Are you from Saturn or something? Come on man, tapping buttons rapidly, will determine how fast or slow your time in the pits will be. ;)

It will be a revelation! I'm telling you. We can even have leaderboards with the quickest times.

By the way Uranus not Saturn. Where else did you think I plucked my ideas out of?:P

I want to control the pit crew :D

@2:16

Incredible. They even got Mobil 1 and Goodyear licensing I see. Dedication to realism.

On a serious note: I know it can seem daunting driving manually into the pits and stuff but up until a few years ago being able to control a full on race car with realistic characteristics seem like a steep mountain to climb. Glad that SMS have taken a step at this. Hopefully in years to come pit stop features like this will become the norm and second nature to perform. Adding to the drama and tension of the racing action can only add to the experience. It isn't all about, high polygon counts, rumbling engines and visible damage. Look forward to try out this feature. Really could make or break a finishing position in an online race. As it should do.

Last edited:
Man, i'm gonna suck at this :lol::lol::lol:

So basically this game is all good news. Consistently adding things we asked for. September will take 2 years to arrive...

You do not "control pit crew". You only control the car. You park the car correctly and based on your selected pit stratgey the game will play the required animations. (i.e. if you selected Fuel Only then the game will not do the tire change animations, etc.)

Is the animation for the pit crew only for a fixed car position? That is, if we slightly overshoot our stop, will our car simply slide back into place, so that the animations can play correctly? Or are there animations for the pit crew pushing our car back into the correct position?

Is the animation for the pit crew only for a fixed car position? That is, if we slightly overshoot our stop, will our car simply slide back into place, so that the animations can play correctly? Or are there animations for the pit crew pushing our car back into the correct position?
I think you have to correct the car yourself, get it into a rectangle pit box then the pit crew goes to work.

P.s. I wonder if the audi pit crews are a little quicker than the rest lol

One interesting skill many of us may never have practiced before is how quickly and accurately you can slow down to the pit speed limit without getting a speeding infringement PLP. Perhaps in pC3 or 4 this can be extended so that there is a 'speed trap laser' rather than an internal computer-check (how I presume it currently works). What happens in real life is that some drivers make up half a second by speeding a little bit because they are so close behind another vehicle and the laser doesn't 'see' them do it.

So is there any PS4 footage so far of this feature? Or about anything of PCars2? I'm a bit worried if not..

One interesting skill many of us may never have practiced before is how quickly and accurately you can slow down to the pit speed limit without getting a speeding infringement PLP. Perhaps in pC3 or 4 this can be extended so that there is a 'speed trap laser' rather than an internal computer-check (how I presume it currently works). What happens in real life is that some drivers make up half a second by speeding a little bit because they are so close behind another vehicle and the laser doesn't 'see' them do it.
Its been said pit lane speed and line infractions are in the game. I have to search for it.

This is a nice feature, but difficult to do accurately - for instance modern touring cars use a large centre nut fitted by an air wrench, but historic ones use a four or five stud fixing and manual wrench, while historic sports cars use a knock on / knock off centre nut fitted by a mallet. The picture looks a bit odd as it shows a road car with five stud wheels, but the pit crew is holding an air wrench for a large centre nut.
Nothing much funnier than the Gran Turismo crews using the wrong tools for the pitstops, sometimes going as far as going through the car or not coming close. ****'s hilarious, I swear!

Also, the only "manual pitstop" thingy I would not hate would be some kind of rhythmic minigame. Like "press X-O when the air wrench connects", "press square when the fuel hose goes in" and "press R2 to get out of the pit". If you do it perfectly you get a good time, if you **** it up you can lose 2-3 seconds. Anything further would be very very stupid.

This is great news for us console plebs, for me at least it will be the first racing game where manual pit stops are available. I can't wait to massively mess it up and take one of my pit crew out.
Some F1 game back in the day had a pitstop minigame. You had to time the limiter, the stop and the exit. That was for PS2, don't remember which one...

This is great news for us console plebs, for me at least it will be the first racing game where manual pit stops are available. I can't wait to massively mess it up and take one of my pit crew out.
Some F1 game back in the day had a pitstop minigame. You had to time the limiter, the stop and the exit. That was for PS2, don't remember which one...

Yeah, that was F1 Championship edition, I wasn't really into racing games back then though

Just wondering if it'll be this busy. From 1:11

I think it'll depend on the class of cars involved and what the driver(s) ask for in the pits. I can see Indy being very busy like this, but I think GT3 or LMP1 would have less people.

That's hardly "fully manual pit stops" although to be honest that's a good thing, actually doing pit work yourself is rather silly and would be a waste of development time. Leave that stuff for Days of Thunder lol. Driving down the pit lane and parking yourself should be a given in any realistic modern racing game(as an option, some people obviously would find it tedious). Having some animations should also be a nice touch although it's not particularly important. Using different regs for different series is also a nice thing, helps to make each series feel a little more unique.

The next and very important question is: will this work correctly? Will the bots smash into you in pit lane for no reason? Will you be able to wait if your box is occupied and pit after the car ahead is done? Only about a million races in the first game were ruined by that problem, and controlling the car yourself won't help if the crew won't work on your car if they aren't already "ready" when you enter pit lane. Hopefully they understand this and you can just wait end then pull in when the first car leaves.

Sometimes old becomes new.

I remember playing this back in the day and always wondered when this would return to consoles.

Mini Rant: Why do cockpit views make it appear that the driver has horse blinders on. Its time we got a real angle of view / "FOV" without having to go triple screen.

I remember playing this back in the day and always wondered when this would return to consoles.

Mini Rant: Why do cockpit views make it appear that the driver has horse blinders on. Its time we got a real angle of view / "FOV" without having to go triple screen.

Did you play the first game? There's loads of options for FOV and seat position to give you the view you want. Will surely be the same for 2.

Did you play the first game? There's loads of options for FOV and seat position to give you the view you want. Will surely be the same for 2.

I just started a couple weeks ago after shelving it because of not being able to keep the car on the track when using a controller. I've been trying to put in some hours with the controller until I get a wheel but its like dancing on an ice rink surrounded by machetes, mouse traps, razor blades, land mines and hand grenades; any false step or over correction and its lights out.

Anyways, I've tried various settings but if I set a high angle (say 120) the game stretches and the sense of speed is too much. I try to compensate that stretch by pushing the seat closer, but that doesn't help much.

Back seat viewing angle is the best but its kinda weird having the steering wheel off center.

What I don't understand (and that goes for all racing games) is why the bumper and hood cams can have a wider angle of view but cockpit views are so restrictive?

Even though we have rearview mirrors, will be interesting hearing the engineer saying, "Go! WAIT!... Hold...hold...hold...GO!GO!GO!"
Me: "What happened there guys?"
Engineer: "Right rear gun got jammed. Sorry buddy, we're a lap down. Let's finish the race and see where we end up."
:D
So you forgot they rebooted this game and i can see you now right.
Pit Crew: No no it was an honest mistake
Me: Ive been waiting since 2015 to see what you look like, how dare you tell me im gonna be lap down while im im leading the lap with two laps to go HUH!!!!
Pit Crew: Im sorry please.
Me: Ive lost 23 races because of you you son of 🤬🤬 ima kill you.
pit Crew: stupid lugnut :(:(:(

Not the first time it happens this year. Do you know DiRT 4's generated stages? Say "hello" to V-Rally 2!!!

Not the first time it happens this year. Do you know DiRT 4's generated stages? Say "hello" to V-Rally 2!!!

Not to get too nostalgic and derailing the thread, but **** Excite Bike was doing "create a track" back in the 80's. Oh the hours wasted on putting simple blocks on a track :D

/RANT ON

FPS are another criminal genre, its been decades where you have a half an arm attached to a gun fixed to the middle of your screen and the world moves around it. How about some real life motions and view points you lazy 🤬. I don't know about you but I sure as hell can see my body and feet with just with a slight bend of the neck. And don't get me started on the never ending opportunities to finish a game no matter how skill-less you are; looking at your Tomb Raider and the likes :grumpy:

/RANT OFF

I think it'll depend on the class of cars involved and what the driver(s) ask for in the pits. I can see Indy being very busy like this, but I think GT3 or LMP1 would have less people.
Maybe when it's time to change from wet to dry and dry to wet.

Last night in PC1, I was doing 5 minute, tyre accelerated(x6) races, in the V8 Supercar. Good stream of AI peeling off into the pits on lap one, through to peeling off before the finish line, on the last lap.

Hope we can see the pit crew interact in a 3rd person view.

Back