Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

My goodness what a carry on!

I seemed to have missed the Tweet that says "When we release PC3 we are going to stop you playing PC2".

As a long time PC1 and 2 player PC3 at this moment still seems to be interesting to me. A fun easier to access racing game with good physics on PS4. And I'd still also have PC2 for my "Full Sim" experience. Best of both worlds. It seems that maybe SMS has still given me options.

PC3, buy it or don't. That's yet another option! But it's no use getting all worked up about it. ;)

I always find it amusing when someone disagrees with some else's opinion then finishes with
:P
I didn't disagree with his opinion, I disagreed with the notion that we should just put up with it and say nothing, on a forum. Which seems to be what you're saying as well.

Nobody is getting "worked up" about it, we are sharing our feelings in a place specifically created to do so.

But seemingly we shouldn't be. We should be quiet and just not buy it. Nope, not happening. Sorry.

I think theres no issue with 1,2 or even 3 more games beside FM and GTS...

The pc Sim market already has AC, ACC, Automobilista, Automobilista 2, iRacing, Project Cars 2, Rfactor 2, RaceRoom... So imo theres no need for another sim... And Pcars 2 is not that old or outdated that it really needs a new 3rd one now...

I think the Pcars3 target audience is a way bigger group then the sim fans are... Afaik booth Shift games were a very huge success for SMS... And its already 9 years since the last one so i think they are doing the right thing here...
The Shift titles also had the NFS brand behind them, you know the biggest selling racing brand ever, this doesn’t. They also had EAs marketing clout behind them, this doesn’t. And Shift didn’t do the number I think you’re assuming it did.

It’s also working on the assumption they nail gamepad support, which is not a given, it’s a lot to gamble on by dumping the majority of your core audience.

It’s also caught SMS in a lie, given that a few weeks ago they were stating that sim racers had nothing to worry about, as everything was being built on.

Im sure they've looked at the success of Forza and GT and want a slice, I for one have been itching to drive the superb track selection of PC, but have been denied entry by an obtuse controller set up and overly complicated set up processes. I think you will find this game will appeal more to the Forza and GT player base than the previous titles did, and will garner higher sales as a result. What is guaranteed is the small minority of sim players would generate less sales and money is what its all about for good or bad.

And if it’s not improved pad support?

They completely missed the spirit of racing, yet want to focus on a better racing experience...?? Driving is just one part of racing, it's a team sport after all.
How can this dumbed down game claim to have a better racing experience when it only focuses on a small part? I don't understand any of the decisions.

And then we have to read posts like "the racing sim everybody wants"
pathetic

I definitely don't want this.

In short the biggest issue here is that they’ve removed the dynamic physics from the car.
With tyres operating at optimal temps and therefore pressure, the car is going to feel the same from first lap to last, no changeable behaviour modelled, therefore losing its right to claim to be a sim.

And for those that only run a few laps, still gonna be big blow, even 6 laps on hot day round Barcelona for example would fry front left tyre by rights.
Be no fun at all the car feeling perfect from first lap to last, it’s the dynamic living breathing nature of how a car reacts to the changing conditions is where sim racing is at its best, ie replicating real life.

So no, it’s not just pits stops we’ve lost, they’ve striped the very life and dimension out of the car, like going from 3D to 2d!

In short the biggest issue here is that they’ve removed the dynamic physics from the car.
With tyres operating at optimal temps and therefore pressure, the car is going to feel the same from first lap to last, no changeable behaviour modelled, therefore losing its right to claim to be a sim.

And for those that only run a few laps, still gonna be big blow, even 6 laps on hot day round Barcelona for example would fry front left tyre by rights.
Be no fun at all the car feeling perfect from first lap to last, it’s the dynamic living breathing nature of how a car reacts to the changing conditions is where sim racing is at its best, ie replicating real life.

So no, it’s not just pits stops we’ve lost, they’ve striped the very life and dimension out of the car, like going from 3D to 2d!

Its still simulating surfaces temps and a couple layers below that. Its the core carcass temps that won't be dynamic.

I'm going to wager a bet that most of whom are complaining are still going to end up buying the game.

*Runs*

What's more, we've barely even scratched the surface in terms of knowing what else Project CARS 3 packs in terms of features. The release is 2 months away, I'm sure a majority of those who hold a negative standpoint towards the game now will change their sentiment come August 28th.

It just sucks. All I want is a serious sim on consoles. Pcars was looking to fill that space.

My concern now is what kind of car classes will we be left with? Will we still get group c or are they going to focus on more street to track cars?

Its just lame. The whole blog was them trying to explain to their core audience why pitstops dont matter. It was kind of ridiculous.

How will dynamic rain work then. Lets say I have a 10 lap race and on lap three heavy rain starts, how would I change from full slicks to rain tyres? Not a good move imo.

since the game doesn’t reflect reality wets will materialize when the game determines the track is wet enough.....the driver doesn’t have to make those decisions in the game, they just drive.

What's more, we've barely even scratched the surface in terms of knowing what else Project CARS 3 packs in terms of features. The release is 2 months away, I'm sure a majority of those who hold a negative standpoint towards the game now will change their sentiment come August 28th.
It’s going to have to be bloody impressive features to make up for elements that were pretty much unique in a console sim!

For the record I will still be buying it to review for my channel, which at least will be an unpaid review (as I don’t want accusations of hypocrisy being thrown around).

Thinking more about it, they’ve likely stripped back processor intensive functions for physics model to buy more headroom for shiny graphics and eye candy to appeal more to this new audience they reckons out there.
Not sounding good for my ears.

In the meanwhile, in our forum 88% of the players think that this is a wrong design choice.

Self-explanatory, and conservatist.
Right, Nathan?
Forgive him, he has to keep the brainw... ehm I mean marketing machine running.
No pitstops is good for you, believe us, it's innovation...

Already seeing "if you don't like the game, don't buy it" and "it's the customers fault the features were removed because they didn't use them enough" on the PCARS forum.

It’s going to have to be bloody impressive features to make up for elements that were pretty much unique in a console sim!

For the record I will still be buying it to review for my channel, which at least will be an unpaid review (as I don’t want accusations of hypocrisy being thrown around).

New cars, new environments, structured career mode, vehicle upgrades, improved gamepad controls, online community events and so on.

I will admit most of the new features which have been teased are more geared towards impressing the "new audience", but I don't doubt finding out more will sway some people who are not happy now.

Pit stops, tire wear, and fuel depletion add a element of strategy that can make race racing more interesting/exciting. This is upsetting but I don't think it's enough to ruin the game for me. I just won't be doing endurance racing anymore

And if it is?
Then it may gain some conquest sales, but ask yourself this, how many GTS players are on this sub-forum stating they will now go for PC3 because of this news?

New cars, new environments, structured career mode, vehicle upgrades, improved gamepad controls, online community events and so on.

I will admit most of the new features which have been teased are more geared towards impressing the "new audience", but I don't doubt finding out more will sway some people who are not happy now.
None of which are targeted just at the core audience at all, so the point remains.

I won’t say I won’t buy it, just bummed but hey there’s plenty of other drives out there.

There are, but none with the variety of pCars2. pCars3 was supposed to be that and more. Its looking like that only applies to cars and tracks.
Why?
It affects PC users as well.

What other options do console racers have for a sandbox sim?

What other options do console racers have for a sandbox sim racer?

I think you know the answer to that within existing titles.

Project Cars 3 not offering “All the simulation goodies you’d come to expect” doesn’t remove other great titles from the console library.

Then it may gain some conquest sales, but ask yourself this, how many GTS players are on this sub-forum stating they will now go for PC3 because of this news?

So your premise is that folks only drive one driving game in blind loyalty, I like most driving games myself and will give PC3 a chance and still play all the other driving games I own. Everyone likes variety dont they? Tapping into a larger market is not detrimental. This trivial news about dull pit stops and tyres is good news to players of those titles as they are not core elements of GT or Forza, and where implemented by those games are little used...

Last edited:
Not buying and own the first two games.
I would have bought Grid or NFS if I wanted this 🤬.
I may consider buying once it’s 10 bucks.

I think you know the answer to that within existing titles.

Project Cars 3 not offering “All the simulation goodies you’d come to expect” doesn’t remove other great titles from the console library.

I'm speaking more as in what they have to look forward too. Granted current gen is more or less over, won't be much longevity outside of single player. Unless AMS2 comes to consoles, there doesn't seem to be much that can fill the "sim" void in the future.

This whole thing kinda further ignites the debate, next gen console or PC for sim racers?

Omfg. This is not good news. I'm definitely out. Good bye project cars.

Yeah, racing SIMs have all been in kind of a sad state - it's as if nobody is willing to actually go all the way, leaving us with titles that have some great aspects and are then crippled in other ways. I guess the publishers must think that racing SIM enthusiasts are only interested in certain niches, instead of a fully rounded product, and then they try to capture those specific niches. In a way this is exactly the opposite of what happened to the RPG market, which used to have great RPGs with real RPG mechanics (i.e. Dragon Age Origins, Baldur's Gate, etc.) and then we had a bunch of other niches as well; Action RPGs, Isometric RPGs, First Person RPGs, JRPGs, and everyone could kind of find a niche they loved. Then that whole market went "try to please everyone" with nearly everything turning into a button-mashing "action combat" RPG, leaving those who wanted their RPGs to have RPG gameplay out in the cold. It seems so strange that there is nobody in the racing SIM market trying to "please everyone" (even if they failed). I was really hoping the PCars would eventually get the "reality aspects" (including FFB and Physics) good enough that I could really, really enjoy it, instead of having spend most of my time in AC. I've ended up with multiple racing rigs and multiple games just to get what I really want: Old PS2 and G25 to drive all the wonderful tracks of GT4 (no title I've ever seen has tracks I like as much as GT4; Citta di Arria, George V Paris, El Capitan, Costa di Amalfi, man, the tracks in GT4 just really suited my tastes), AC for physics and ffb and just overall realism, PCars 2 for driving in rain and weather and for overall car selection etc. It's just a complete mess out there without a single great truly well-rounded product. Hopefully there will be a backlash about removing these elements from PCars3 and they will learn a lesson that many devs need to learn: Don't remove features, just allow the end user to disable or enable those features.

Last edited:
Back