Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

This line got me. After seeing what people actually throw at him, this sounds kinda like a joke.
Pure hollow correctness as usual self-introductory attempt. It's been quite a while since developers and their chosen community acolytes act and speak like politicians.

I've been considering how to run strategic pit stops in my league series if we transfer from PC2 to PC3 - maybe have an agreed area of gravel onto which we park the car for 10 seconds during the 10 minute pit window?
It’s incredibly sad for me that you even have to state such a thing. Your league races, whether I was in them or watching them, were fantastic. Being forced to simulate a pitstop in any fashion is such a disappointment, right?

I just saw the video of the IndyCar at Laguna Seca and it looked and sounded beautiful. Then I got a wave of sadness knowing that I won’t be getting the game

I've been considering how to run strategic pit stops in my league series if we transfer from PC2 to PC3 - maybe have an agreed area of gravel onto which we park the car for 10 seconds during the 10 minute pit window?

Not bother? Do PC2, ACC or something. Or just race without pitstops, plenty of series out there that don't that you could take inspiration from.

Then I got a wave of sadness knowing that I won’t be getting the game
You can always change your mind S. ;)

You enjoyed my Friday evening short races with unusual cars on different track layouts. There wasn't any pitstops or tyre wear in them, just the fun of racing against clean drivers. :)
(Hope to see you again sometime - if ACC hasn't captured your heart!)

You enjoyed my Friday evening short races with unusual cars on different track layouts. There wasn't any pitstops or tyre wear in them, just the fun of racing against clean drivers. :)
That's the best point anyone has made to me on this subject. I did, in fact, love those short races as we moved around from track to track with different cars.

You have me so conflicted right now!

I'm enjoying pit stops on ACC at the moment. And, ultimately, I really think pit stops and tire wear and the strategies around all that stuff is what I want the most.

Maybe a person can have both:gtpflag:

AHA! That's the data SMS was looking at when they decided to remove all those features. You ruined our game!
JK btw;)

That's the best point anyone has made to me on this subject. I did, in fact, love those short races as we moved around from track to track with different cars.

You have me so conflicted right now!
On the practical level it is the point I was making. :) A sim without these things is just...a sim without these things.

On one hand it's semantic, defining what "sim" means, but on the other hand it is a description of how a game drives and how it is designed. To call PCARS3 "arcade" or to deny it the title of "sim" denotes a series of assumptions that don't all apply. In short, it presumes an experience that is very different from short races in PCARS2.

My intention here is to clarify what can be expected from PCARS3, particularly for anyone new or on the fence. When someone I trust says a game isn't a sim, I tend to imagine a game that has hardly any sense of vehicle weight, rigid or wobbly oversteer if there's any at all, probably overbearing understeer, no meaningful suspension model or weight transfer/distribution, unrealistic acceleration and/or braking, etc. I enjoy plenty of games that meet that description, but I don't imagine that describes PCARS3.

And, ultimately, I really think pit stops and tire wear and the strategies around all that stuff is what I want the most.
I've never disagreed with that. It's part of many motorsports. However when you have less time time to spare some quick to access fun races with good simulated driving physics also has it's appeal too. Especially online. Just look at PC3 as a different game and treat it as such. You'd still have ACC, and indeed PC2, for all that "full" simery. More choice the merrier I say.

You ruined our game!
Yeah sorry. They asked me ages ago what I'd like to have removed. I didn't think anyone would notice. "People just want to drive" I said. Seems I was wrong. :mischievous: ;)

Good points @Wolfe

Last edited:
Not bother? Do PC2, ACC or something. Or just race without pitstops, plenty of series out there that don't that you could take inspiration from.

Buying the game depends for me on the car list - I am already confident that the track list will be good. I normally run without tyre or fuel wear and on default setups. We often use pit stops with a 10 minute window, but without tyre or fuel - this simulates historic racing like Goodwood etc. It also provides some interesting strategy - i.e. do I pit early or late. A brief stop at an agreed point on each circuit may sound odd, but I think it could work - especially in races long enough to need a comfort break.

If the number of historic cars has increased then it's a purchase. The old car content was class leading in PC2 - in Forza and GTS I always got the impression that old cars were just added at random with no thought given to how they might be raced. There are now some great cars in GTS, but the prospects of hosting a series are sabotaged by the crazily high amount of credits needed to obtain them. As a host I found that a problem in GT5 and 6, but it's even worse in GTS.

I eagerly await the car list and hope - probably vainly - that an option for pit stops (without tyre and fuel wear) is added to the game.

Latest Posts

Back