Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Apparently custom events are not considered free play. Well at least if you’re level 11 and want to use the Huayra you just bought..

(patiently awaits patch)

So you cannot do a single race or practice with that pagani at all?

So you cannot do a single race or practice with that pagani at all?

I’ll double check it, but no. Like other cars I can probably use a loaner, but my personal customizable purchased car is inaccessible. The game won’t let me select the car from my garage and says ‘unlock at level 6’.

I’ll double check it, but no. Like other cars I can probably use a loaner, but my personal customizable purchased car is inaccessible. The game won’t let me select the car from my garage and says ‘unlock at level 6’.

And what about not customizable purchased cars? Can you use all of those? Like the 200 in PC2?

Yes Nathan Bell responded to me on twitter, great news. Question will it fix our current saves to unlock our locked cars or will we need to start a fresh new career? I believe I found the problem after restarting my career 5 times. If you were in custom races or rival races when you leveled up the cars wont unlock. I tested and made sure I was in career when I leveled up and everything unlocked to level 4. These career's was leveling up in custom or rival races. 1st career level 4 and 5 wouldn't unlock. 2nd attempt level 3 cars wouldn't unlock. 3rd attempt level 2 cars wouldn't unlock.

"this also retroactive fixes anyone affected by this issue"

That's all i know but imo that means it will be fixed without having to restart...

And what about not customizable purchased cars? Can you use all of those? Like the 200 in PC2?

Don’t think non-customizable purchased cars is a thing but all cars are available as loaners. Though I forget and someone should correct me, but you may still need a high enough level XP to borrow some.

You have to purchase cars with credits in order to customize, upgrade and personalize them.

Even the DLC cars have to be purchased with in-game credits.

Picked up the deluxe edition on PSN for black friay sale. It was $56.

Not too bad so far, as i have realistic expectations based on feedback.

The one gripe i do have is that the AI just doesnt care where you are. They will sideswipe you or run you wide all day long. The oversteer happy handling (at least in the Evo 6 starter car) is a little annoying but it something you can drive around and tune out a bit.

Still working through road E, but overall not bad so far.

Last edited:
Picked up the deluxe edition on PSN for black friay sale. It was $56.

Not too bad so far, as i have realistic expectations based on feedback.

The one gripe i do have is that the AI just doesnt care where you are. They will sideswipe you or run you wide all day long. The oversteer happy handling (at least in the Evo 6 starter car) is a little annoying but it something you can drive around and tube out a bit

Still working through road E, but overall not bad so far.

Try increasing aggression, apparently they drive better at a higher level...

I also bought the game on PSN's Black Friday sale. However...I don't think I've been as perplexed playing a racing game as I have been playing PCARS 3, and it's sad too, because from the little I've played, if you stripped any mention of SMS, PCARS as a series, or the Madness Engine, then you'd have what is by all accounts a really good racing game that has a lot of content, and has an actually good career structure, and makes good on all the big picture ideas and promises Ian Bell made when he more or less tipped off that PCARS 3 was going to be a more NFS SHIFT like experience.

However, 95% of the problems with the game basically trace back to the very name on the box. Considering the series reputation as a hardcore sim that very much pushed the limits of physics and how weather is applied in that regard, it is really quite strange and honestly disheartening that SMS (though really, I have my beliefs that it was more so Ian Bell) would throw that out the window for no discernable reason and make what is basically an NFS SHIFT level of racer. Which I am all for, it should be noted! However, by this point, what does Ian Bell and SMS think that they can get away with going this far back, and not only that but doing the one cardinal sin in the sim racing genre (that is, lying about the authenticity and realism of your game), and so boldly and confidently at that before launch?

I don't have the highest estimation of the sim racing community - I'm of the strong belief that the drive for realism has more or less killed any sort of creativity in the racing game genre, among many other factors, and have lead to developers caving in to the frankly pathetic hissyfits and crying from hardcore sim racers who want a return on investment for their sim racing rigs and setups - but they are bang on the money here with how this game has turned out. I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall at SMS HQ when Ian Bell was pitching and developing this game, to his staff, to Bamco especially. I just simply don't get why you would go this far back in terms of realism and not expect a backlash, when this could have been avoided if the game was simply not named Project CARS 3. This is about as close as a sim racing developer can get to making a spin off that can appeal to a wider niche then the main games are in - and yet it wasn't taken. I legitimately want to know why, considering it kneecaps an otherwise well done racing game that, if it wasn't named PCARS 3, I'd probably consider as the racing game of the year.

It really goes to show just how much one bad decision (in this case, not making this game a spin off) can have so many poor ramifications to the legs of any piece of media, but for racing games especially. Now SMS and Ian Bell especially have pretty much burnt a whole hell of a lot of bridges (something Mr. Bell seems adept at doing, truth be told) with the sim racing community, and for what?

Some ancillary notes from my short hour and change long initial play test:

- The handling on a pad is leagues better then anything the PCARS series (or really, NFS SHIFT if we're going that far back) has given. That in of itself is a major accomplishment considering how pathetically little SMS had done previous in making the game actually fun to play on a pad, but it still really doesn't feel right. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels like there's some things holding it back.

- Compared to PCARS 2, where the road classes felt so cobbled together and so poorly thought out but were ignored (probably because 95% of people were going to be in racing cars for most of the game) the actual road classes feel really good in terms of the vehicles chosen and paired. But the race classes are mind-bogglingly bad in how they've paired vehicles. Nowhere is that more evident then the first race of the game at Monument Valley in the C8.R. Sure, it's mostly the same GT3 cars they had in PCARS 2, but for whatever reason they shoved the Sesto Elemento in the class...for what reason, I don't know. It's worse in some classes - in what world is the F355 Challenge considered a Group A car? Why is an Indycar roadster from the 50's in the Ol' Calhoun in among the classic F1 cars? - and it just reeks of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

- Game looks great when you prioritize framerate on PS4 Pro. Pretty crispy graphics and smooth graphics when there's no rain or weather effects, and it does take a dip when that comes into play, but by this point it's to be expected. A part of me wonders if the same problems from PCARS 2 where certain tracks (Bannochbrae, for one) with full grids and weather effects would cause most systems, including uprated ones, to take a total dump when it came to framerate persists.

Again, it's sad that so many of the problems with this game lie with simply the name of the game, alongside the things SMS did to more or less bald face lie to fans before release, because if they did the right thing and made this as a spin off, I guarantee reception would be immensely more popular and you wouldn't have this pretty much unneeded schism within the series.

Let me be more precise then. You can drive any car in the game as a standard, not customized one in free play (custom event).

The purpose of the career mode is to buy the cars which you are free to upgrade, tune and customize.
You can use both (on PS4 at least) but the garages are separated. If you press a button - I'm not at home at the moment but I'll take a guess on square - it flicks between your garage with your modified garage and the one with all of the cars. It's more obvious which one you're looking at if all your cars are painted in an offensive pink 👍

Btw I only came in this thread because I noticed a couple of the retro LM24 liveries had been added for the Ford GT in the DLC, is there anything else interesting that they never announced?

You can use both (on PS4 at least) but the garages are separated. If you press a button - I'm not at home at the moment but I'll take a guess on square - it flicks between your garage with your modified garage and the one with all of the cars. It's more obvious which one you're looking at if all your cars are painted in an offensive pink 👍

Btw I only came in this thread because I noticed a couple of the retro LM24 liveries had been added for the Ford GT in the DLC, is there anything else interesting that they never announced?

I know you can. The original question was if all the cars in game can be used in free play.

You can look here: https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/5693258/

Scrolling down you can see there's been what I think is optimisation on some cars liveries through the reduction in size but also there are some additions

Hello everyone, so it’s been two weeks since I got all the trophies for the DLC. A friend of mine who needed help to get last DLC trophy was asking me for upgrades/tune set up for one of the DLC events. The title for Hot Lap event was called Back With An Upgrade. I believe I was using the Skyline racing. However, I went back today to mess around the upgrades and still not getting the time I need. The hot lap objective time was 1:52.00 and when I did the event 2 weeks ago, my personal best was 1:51.849. I had used the Skyline for other events as well. Any recommendations for my friend?

Edit: Nevermind because I already did some changes with the upgrades. My new PB is 1:51.462.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, so it’s been two weeks since I got all the trophies for the DLC. A friend of mine who needed help to get last DLC trophy was asking me for upgrades/tune set up for one of the DLC events. The title for Hot Lap event was called Back With An Upgrade. I believe I was using the Skyline racing. However, I went back today to mess around the upgrades and still not getting the time I need. The hot lap objective time was 1:52.00 and when I did the event 2 weeks ago, my personal best was 1:51.849. I had used the Skyline for other events as well. Any recommendations for my friend?

Edit: Nevermind because I already did some changes with the upgrades. My new PB is 1:51.462.

Would you mind to share this setup?

Would you mind to share this setup?
Project CARS 3 upgrades set up 1.jpg
Project CARS 3 upgrades set up 2.jpg

I guess the one downside of the game is the exclusion of tire and fuel. Doesn't make my custom Enduro races that exciting. But, not too bothered by it.

i know a guy who went into the lobbies and just out ran everyone. he and his friend would go lobby to lobby and just crush the the opponents. people just quit playing that day.

The racing is wheel to wheel when racing online. if and when you can get a match.

Back