Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,146 comments
It might be the car list he posted, Formula E is a huge scoop that would surely have it's own trailer from the series and developers (possibly next week to coincide with the Berlin rounds starting).
Not really given that SMS confirmed it on a discord AMA a day before.

The real car/track list? did anyone not screen grab it?
I did, I'm sure others did as well.

There’s only 5 specific cars/tracks combination (Formula B on Interlagos being one) that you could show. He showed way more than. He also showed obvious bugs, the full car list, the full track list, the livery editor, car modifications which was not allowed.
Ahh makes sense.

It also doesn't make sense at the same time, as those two videos were, without a doubt, the best marketing and advertising the title has had to-date.

How such a requested feature like custom championships could be an "I dunno maybe later" at this point is mind boggling.

The framework for a custom championship system like that was already basically there in PC2 with the online race organizer, all they had to do was let people fill in AI instead of players and boom done... I mean okay it's probably not quite that simple because programming stuff never is, but you can't tell me this team of game designers that have created dynamic weather and beautiful day to night transitions and tire wear and fuel burn (although they have scrapped those last 2 now) and so on wouldn't be able to figure out how to make a menu system and lobby control setup that already works for multiplayer also work for single player if they wanted to.

It's a bit like the Forza situation was with free play. In FM4 (maybe even FM3? been a while) we could make online lobbies with the AI and set up restrictions and buckets and roll-off delays and all that stuff, but it took until FM7 for them to implement the same set of menus into single player free play.

If the game is also lacking private lobbies or custom lobbies, or those lobbies don't have proper in-depth setup options, then... yikes.

Last edited:
SMS claim it was nothing to do with them.

sms.jpg

@Scaff Do you mean that list that said reasonably accurate car list? if so ok there were so many YouTube videos yesterday that since i don't follow none of them i didn't know which channel you guys were talking about.

But kinda weird they would flag that list since is not 100% accurate or isn't it? This red flag by sms really makes you wonder. :crazy:

How such a requested feature like custom championships could be an "I dunno maybe later" at this point is mind boggling.

The framework for a custom championship system like that was already basically there in PC2 with the online race organizer, all they had to do was let people fill in AI instead of players and boom done... I mean okay it's probably not quite that simple because programming stuff never is, but you can't tell me this team of game designers that have created dynamic weather and beautiful day to night transitions and tire wear and fuel burn (although they have scrapped those last 2 now) and so on wouldn't be able to figure out how to make a menu system and lobby control setup that already works for multiplayer also work for single player if they wanted to.

It's a bit like the Forza situation was with free play. In FM4 (maybe even FM3? been a while) we could make online lobbies with the AI and set up restrictions and buckets and roll-off delays and all that stuff, but it took until FM7 for them to implement the same set of menus into single player free play.

If the game is also lacking private lobbies or custom lobbies, or those lobbies don't have proper in-depth setup options, then... yikes.
I don't think this is a programming problem. SMS has the skills to make a custom offline championship mode. It's just a question of will: for some reason they don't want it in their game. I think that would be a selling point though.

Yes, absolutely. But, I had heard Nathan say this. And I THINK it was about custom championships. Just trying to see if anyone else heard that. When asked when, he said 2 days or 2 months, he didn't know. The only thing I'm uncertain of is if that was what he was talking about

At this point I don't think anything Nathan Bell is saying is true at all. I think Fernando Moutinho is the only person I can take any semblance of truth from there at the moment.

Games radar played the preview this is what they said
"The crash damage is nowhere near as catastrophic (at least in this unfinished build) as it was in the first game. Rubbing wheels in open-wheeled single seaters no longer dispatches you onto your roll bar in a cascade of debris; instead it’s now very ‘new GRID’ in its philosophy. Lots of rubbing and denting but very little actual destruction. It’s still possible to crash heavily and see a reasonable degree of deformation and detached bodywork, but it isn’t exactly realistic given the severity of the impact. Hopefully that will change by release."

When you get 'damage' the screen flashes red like Call of Duty, WTH who came up with the ideas for this game lol

ifve9N.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get 'damage' the screen flashes red like Call of Duty, WTH who came up with the ideas for this game lol

That's probably another Shift-inspired quirk of the game. When you had a heavy impact in the Shift games, there was a dramatic effect which caused the screen to go blurry and desaturated. Oh, and the driver said "oof" for good measure. ;)

ifve9N.jpg
Didn’t the old SHIFT games did something similar but it make the whole screen black or white instead of red borders?

Content Creators round-up, my thoughts

As I watch and listen to your comments, when it comes to the Indy car footage on the Laguna Seca track, I couldn't help but notice that all the corners seem to be wider and much less tighter in curvature than in GTS.

I have a feeling that the curves of corners have been made easier in PCars 3 in order to help new drivers to driver faster and avoid losing momentum...

Am I imagining or can someone else verify this ?

Even the famous drop doesn't seem to be a scary as it is in GTS...

As I watch and listen to your comments, when it comes to the Indy car footage on the Laguna Seca track, I couldn't help but notice that all the corners seem to be wider and much less tighter in curvature than in GTS.

I have a feeling that the curves of corners have been made easier in PCars 3 in order to help new drivers to driver faster and avoid losing momentum...

Looks the same as in pCars 1 and 2. So no.

Most likely down to Field of View differences, it can have that effect.

BTW - thanks for watching/listening

It also doesn't make sense at the same time, as those two videos were, without a doubt, the best marketing and advertising the title has had to-date.
No it doesn't and yes they were!

Like your own, here's another one with a generally positive vibe.

COTA appears to be absent on the unofficial track list too.

Games radar played the preview this is what they said
"The crash damage is nowhere near as catastrophic (at least in this unfinished build) as it was in the first game. Rubbing wheels in open-wheeled single seaters no longer dispatches you onto your roll bar in a cascade of debris; instead it’s now very ‘new GRID’ in its philosophy. Lots of rubbing and denting but very little actual destruction. It’s still possible to crash heavily and see a reasonable degree of deformation and detached bodywork, but it isn’t exactly realistic given the severity of the impact. Hopefully that will change by release."

ifve9N.jpg

That's The dumbest feature ive ever seen in a racing game. I hate it in call of duty as well, apparently you go ****ing blind when you're shot in the toe.

Whatever dumbass over there at Slightly mad should fired for even considering a dumb idea like the screen flashing red. It doesn't add anything to the game. It just ruins it.

Ive been in car accidents before and i didnt go blind nor did my vision flash red.

Last edited:
I usually try to put aside all the negatives in a video game, and look at what i can do with the positives instead. However, Project Cars 3 is looking really bad. Think I'll wait to see how PC3 turns out before I buy it on launch. The decisions they've done to change the game, is just horrendous. Like a red flashing screen in a racing game just like the Call of Duty flashing screen? Why?? And why did they take the pit stops out? Absolutely awful decisions. If they kept it like PC2, but in more of an arcade friendly direction, or even where you can switch between Arcade & Sim physics / settings then this game would of been so much better.

Obviously I'm no expert so I could not do better my self, and sorry if I sound like I'm complaining - but that's just my opinion. Each to our own, if some of you are buying this on launch I hope you guys have fun with it.

Last edited:
Just to correct my previous post over the call of duty red flash when damage happens it does not just happen with damage it even flashes red when you drift off track, also the UI has been switched off and that effect is still present so looks like it cannot be turned off

5AZ0vp.png

No Spa, Le Mans, COTA or Red Bull ring all gone, so much for "all the sim you could want"

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to correct my previous post over the call of duty red flash when damage happens it does not just happen with damage it even flashes red when you drift off track, also the UI has been switched off and that effect is still present so looks like it cannot be turned off

5AZ0vp.png

Pretty sure it’s because he hit a cone or something.

No Spa, Le Mans, COTA or Red Bull ring so much for "all the sim you could want"

Tracks doesn’t make a sim.

Looks like I was wrong. I thought the reaction to no qualifying would make the reaction to no pitstops look like a storm in a tea-cup. You can argue most races don't include a pit stop but they pretty much all involve qualifying. But apparently nobody cares about qualifying.

Looks like I was wrong. I thought the reaction to no qualifying would make the reaction to no pitstops look like a storm in a tea-cup. You can argue most races don't include a pit stop but they pretty much all involve qualifying. But apparently nobody cares about qualifying.
They do, they just know it’s not going to change.

Probably also in MP...
Agreed, but as we’ve not seen it yet I’ve was going for caution.

Back