Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,142 comments
Well, I got my copy nearly 4 weeks after ordering,it took a diversion thru austria for some reason ,i had given up on it to be honest,will be giving it a spin this weekend,looking forward to it

So, at the moment PC3 is on sale digitally on the Microsoft Store. The Standard Edition is asking $30 (down from $60), and the Deluxe Edition is asking ~$48 (down from$94.99). I tend to check into this thread somewhat frequently, so I feel like I already have an idea of what to expect gameplay-wise (and I know it's a completely different experience from PC1 & 2). Basically, is the base game in its current state worthwhile at $30? Would I be missing out on anything truly worthwhile if I didn't get the Deluxe Edition (besides saving money on the DLC cars)? Also, what's the current state of online gameplay on the Xbox (particularly in North America, if possible)? I play on an X1X, so performance issues aren't a concern.

Controller. Not sure what you mean by "What I want to find?"
I meant what do you like in games and what expect from this one. And your other controller racing games?

The game is probably OK. It's more casual stuff and if you don't think too much you will like it.

So, at the moment PC3 is on sale digitally on the Microsoft Store. The Standard Edition is asking $30 (down from $60), and the Deluxe Edition is asking ~$48 (down from$94.99). I tend to check into this thread somewhat frequently, so I feel like I already have an idea of what to expect gameplay-wise (and I know it's a completely different experience from PC1 & 2). Basically, is the base game in its current state worthwhile at $30? Would I be missing out on anything truly worthwhile if I didn't get the Deluxe Edition (besides saving money on the DLC cars)? Also, what's the current state of online gameplay on the Xbox (particularly in North America, if possible)? I play on an X1X, so performance issues aren't a concern.
If you like the offline side of games there's also quite a bit of added content in the Careers section that's only available to those with the Seasons Pass (Edit: Or individual DLC packs).

I can't say how good, or bad it is as I don't have the DLC. In the regular career some of the events are a bit patchy with their goals with some being very easy, even on the hardest settings, and then others (one snow event in particular) are not impossible but very difficult even on the easiest settings.

Project CARS 3_20210403045758.jpg

Last edited:
I meant what do you like in games and what expect from this one. And your other controller racing games?

The game is probably OK. It's more casual stuff and if you don't think too much you will like it.

I'm fairly open-minded with games, as long as I can have a good time (or at least create my own entertainment). I'd say the most sim-like game I've put heavy time into is DiRT Rally 2.0, but I also regularly play Forza Horizon and FM6. I've heard that PC3 is supposed to be more in-line with Forza in terms of racing/driving, but nothing monumental otherwise, which is completely fine for me. I'm not looking for a full-blown sim, but I'm not looking for something like NFS or Forza Horizon, either.

If you like the offline side of games there's also quite a bit of added content in the Careers section that's only available to those with the Seasons Pass (Edit: Or individual DLC packs).

I can't say how good, or bad it is as I don't have the DLC. In the regular career some of the events are a bit patchy with their goals with some being very easy, even on the hardest settings, and then others (one snow event in particular) are not impossible but very difficult even on the easiest settings.

View attachment 1001791

Ah, I see. That's very good to know. How would you rate the normal career mode in terms of length and overall variety?

Last edited:
Ah, I see. That's very good to know. How would you rate the normal career mode in terms of length and overall variety?
Length and variety are both pretty reasonable. I've had the base game for just over a month now and with playing on average for a couple of hours every day I'd probably be just over half way through the career, although some of that time has been spent on the Rivals mode.

There's quite a good variety of different styles of events with some being better than others, but that depends a lot on personal tastes. Breakout, which is knocking down blocks to score points isn't to my personal taste but it's still not too bad. I prefer some of the more traditional events like shortish championships (only 2 or 3 events in some cases), single races and Hot Laps. Some of the Pace Setter events (running three laps above a specific average time) have been a great challenge and rate highly for me personally.

There's definitely a good fun core game there and it's close to the best controller experience I've personally had. I'd rate it right up there with Wreckfest for being just a fun decent game.... bugs and all.

I'm fairly open-minded with games, as long as I can have a good time (or at least create my own entertainment). I'd say the most sim-like game I've put heavy time into is DiRT Rally 2.0, but I also regularly play Forza Horizon and FM6. I've heard that PC3 is supposed to be more in-line with Forza in terms of racing/driving, but nothing monumental otherwise, which is completely fine for me. I'm not looking for a full-blown sim, but I'm not looking for something like NFS or Forza Horizon, either.

It's fine game then. If you like Motorsport, this could be better in few things. I don't like Motorsport too much, for instance. But controller handling in PC3 is strange but only I can see it so it's probably OK too.

Career is not worse than Forza. I don't like Forza career too. Overall, it could be better than Forza if you don't care about content and graphics only. AI in Forza is pretty bad but I don't remember good one in PC3.

You can't go wrong with PC3 and season pass has awesome cars.

...and it's close to the best controller experience I've personally had. I'd rate it right up there with Wreckfest for being just a fun decent game.... bugs and all.
This is sad to me because gamepad controls are most important thing to me why I don't play PC3 at all :D Everybody's different.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main appeal of the DLCs are the cars, as the career is “more of the same” from the base game.

If you like the cars from a pack then pick it up but if you’re hesitant just go for the base game right now and see if you like the experience first.

I've decided to give it a try and to my surprise, I find this game quite enjoyable. Nice progression system, clean UI, amazing car roster and so many tracks! Love the Rivals mode and custom game mode also fun. Cars are fun to drive and there is a nice balance between sim and arcade physics. Controls great with a gamepad - finally!

But there are some things I don't like. I'm playing on PS5 and the resolution drops are terrible. Everything getting so pixelated when it rains and other cars on track. I hope SlightlyMad will deliver next-gen update or at least fix this compatibility issue. @PJTierney I wonder if the team plan next-gen updates or just improvements for backwards compatibility?

The career mode lacks variety. I want to try all the different cars that the game can offer but money is hard to get.

The music is just terrible. I don't understand how it ends up in the game. I've turned it off right away. And the sound quality is just not there... car sounds feel muted somehow. I open the NFS shift for compressing and it so much better. Maybe it's something that can be fixed with a patch idk.

Overall, enjoyable game but with some minor annoying issues that could be fixed. But I imagine this game won't have long support thanks to all the haters that killed the project before release. But I see this as a huge marketing mistake. SlightlyMad should be transparent from the start and own the game. And maybe name it differently.

Money is actually earned rather fast if you progress.

You can try all cars in custom races. Even that way you earn money.

So even on ps5 the graphics can be pixelated? I thought it was only on ps4. My pro does that too. So no reason the try to get a ps5 then.

Overall, enjoyable game but with some minor annoying issues that could be fixed. But I imagine this game won't have long support thanks to all the haters that killed the project before release. But I see this as a huge marketing mistake. SlightlyMad should be transparent from the start and own the game. And maybe name it differently.
Long support won't be because of haters but because of no players :D If the game is so good, there would be many players I guess. Inserting this game as a part of the series was definitely wrong.

The game is not that bad but seeing this "underdog" stuff everywhere is a bit strange. The game is not that good and never was. There was a time to patch everything, no changes. Just strange game with many design flaws getting into great series.

No hater here but I like racing games and don't play PC3 at all.

I hope SlightlyMad will deliver next-gen update or at least fix this compatibility issue. @PJTierney I wonder if the team plan next-gen updates or just improvements for backwards compatibility?
I don't work at SMS but I believe they communicated a while back that there'll be no current gen update.

Not sure if that extends to improving what's already there, but something to keep in mind.

Long support won't be because of haters but because of no players :D If the game is so good, there would be many players I guess. Inserting this game as a part of the series was definitely wrong.

The game is not that bad but seeing this "underdog" stuff everywhere is a bit strange. The game is not that good and never was. There was a time to patch everything, no changes. Just strange game with many design flaws getting into great series.

No hater here but I like racing games and don't play PC3 at all.
No hater?
Don't make me laugh...
In case you haven't noticed, the player base is increasing...

No hater?
Don't make me laugh...
In case you haven't noticed, the player base is increasing...
I don't know why hater would invest over $140 into game and then just hate it for fun without playing it. There is a reason why the game is not popular and it's not because of reviews or some ***** on YT.

And I think you are mostly OK but defending PC3 doesn't look good to me. PC1 and PC2 are great games and it's a sure thing, PC3 is not.

but defending PC3 doesn't look good to me
And constantly saying the game is "not great, not popular, has no players" doesn't look good to all those who enjoy it and therefore think otherwise. So you can always expect some "defending". People get unusually tribal about their games.

PC1 and PC2 are great games and it's a sure thing, PC3 is not
I'd say the opposite. In my opinion as a game PC3 is much better than its predecessors.

I've decided to give it a try and to my surprise, I find this game quite enjoyable.
Hi Nigrick, glad you're enjoying it. A question though, why were you surprised? Most people who've tried the game out recently have said very similar things so I was just wondering what you might have been expecting? There always seems to be some trepidation. :)

And constantly saying the game is "not great, not popular, has no players" doesn't look good to all those who enjoy it and therefore think otherwise. So you can always expect some "defending". People get unusually tribal about their games.

I'd say the opposite. In my opinion as a game PC3 is much better than its predecessors.
Sure, but those are facts. Game could be great and no players, it's possible too. PC3 could be very good for some people, no problem there. But Konan is a bit of sound of devs and I don't think there is a space for defending PC3 now. It's just a big mistake and something like apologize would be better to me :D I know it sounds crazy but makes sense to me a bit. Konan defended real PC games and he was right I guess. But with PC3 I feel it's not good. OK, my view. Everybody makes mistakes and if SMS can do PC2 successor, everything could be fine.

That's OK, you don't like sims. It's normal situation and if game was properly named, there wouldn't be any problem. As a normal racing game it could be relatively OK with some great features and content.

I would really like PC3 but gamepad steering is broken so it's not possible to me. Then there are some other problems but I tried what I could. PC1 and PC2 are great games and I can't play PC3. This can't be a successor.

Where did i defend the game by stating the fact that the playerbase is growing?
Those are numbers that speak for themselves?

You know what your problem seems to me to be @Johnnn? I think you may have gotten so used to poor pad implementation (AC, PC1 & PC2) that it feels normal to you so now when you play a well optimized for pad game it feels off. Neither are right or wrong, it's just what you're used to. We've had this discussion before and to me, and most other people, PC3 has the best pad implementation by far out of the games I mentioned.

Is this on PlayStation? Because this always happens when games are heavily discounted ;). But the game does really deserve the extra players if the bugs get ironed out :)

I read here many times how PC3 is PC game. And many other similar stuff which doesn't make any sense. Maybe somebody really believes it but it's not true and it would be nice SMS approves it.

You know what your problem seems to me to be @Johnnn? I think you may have gotten so used to poor pad implementation (AC, PC1 & PC2) that it feels normal to you so now when you play a well optimized for pad game it feels off. Neither are right or wrong, it's just what you're used to. We've had this discussion before and to me, and most other people, PC3 has the best pad implementation by far out of the games I mentioned.
I play mostly unassisted games and like it. Every sim has some tuning for pad but usually no active helpers. Then I know highly assisted games like GT or Forza Horizon and ACC if you don't disable it. Another level is Grid and other normal games.

Almost every game I know is OK to play but PC3. I described it here several times. Do you know what is real problem? If PC3 would be successor to PCs, it would be optional. Gamepad without any settings? How bad design is it? That's what I am talking about, PC3 is not good but has good roots. Somebody in SMS took the series into very bad direction with bad ideas. It's not about haters, it's about facts.

It's not terrible, performance is good on PC and actually sucked me in last night just hotlapping a Porsche around Road America. Dare I say I had fun which is the entire point of this sim racing avocation?
Performance is good on PS5 too and I was having a difficult but fun time getting to grips with the 2020 Lotus Evija at Jerez for the final star I needed to complete the Hypercar Majors.

Job done! :D

Project CARS 3_20210409135645.jpg
Project CARS 3_20210409050544.jpg

Edit: :confused::confused::confused: How is that not over 273kph?
Project CARS 3_20210409142216.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Is this on PlayStation? Because this always happens when games are heavily discounted ;). But the game does really deserve the extra players if the bugs get ironed out :)
As far as I know it's based on how many people take part in daily, weekly events, etc. Which in all fairness, for most platforms is the only measure available.

The one platform we do have access to data for shows a different picture, which is Steam, now in all fairness this only counts those who launch the title via Steam, however its also still the PCars title with the lowest active user count on Steam.

steam.jpg

steam 2.jpg

I read here many times how PC3 is PC game. And many other similar stuff which doesn't make any sense. Maybe somebody really believes it but it's not true and it would be nice SMS approves it.
Pcars 3 is a PCars game, maybe not the one you wanted or expected, but it's still a title in the series.

I play mostly unassisted games and like it. Every sim has some tuning for pad but usually no active helpers. Then I know highly assisted games like GT or Forza Horizon and ACC if you don't disable it. Another level is Grid and other normal games.

Almost every game I know is OK to play but PC3. I described it here several times. Do you know what is real problem? If PC3 would be successor to PCs, it would be optional. Gamepad without any settings? How bad design is it? That's what I am talking about, PC3 is not good but has good roots. Somebody in SMS took the series into very bad direction with bad ideas. It's not about haters, it's about facts.
To be honest I think you are in a very small group here, most people (and I would include myself) find Pcars 3 to be the most pad friendly title in the series to date.

Last edited:
Hi Nigrick, glad you're enjoying it. A question though, why were you surprised? Most people who've tried the game out recently have said very similar things so I was just wondering what you might have been expecting? There always seems to be some trepidation. :)
A few reasons. The first reason is a lot of sim racing YouTubers I'm following were very negative about it because many of them expected this game to be on a sim side. And overall a lot of negativity on socials and on this forum.

Second, I'm not a big fan of SMS approach to game development. PC1 and PC2 have some very annoying problems, like console optimization and unplayable gamepad experience. Not a fan of Ian Bell. I imagine he is responsible for some of the worst decision-making during development. But I could be wrong.

What sold me on this game is that the game director for this title was Paul Rustchynsky - the man behind my all-time favourite games like Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB. I trust his work. Also, someone said that the game will be more like NFS Shift which I loved.

Haha, 100%. If I'm not mistaken they hire a person responsible for the driveclub controls to fix the gamepad issue that was dragging since PC1. And he did a fantastic job!

Last edited by a moderator:
That Corvette is breaking the know laws of physics and is travelling faster than the speed of light! It certainly beats Elon Musk's interplanetary Tesla roadster. :)

I expect it was tricky to judge the braking points? :P
:lol:

I think it was due to the flux capacitor I had installed on the car because how else could I be transported to the finish line at the great speed of 0 kph, win the race and perform a clean lap on my next run.

Project CARS 3_20210409153904.jpg

:boggled::confused::dopey:

Pcars 3 is a PCars game, maybe not the one you wanted or expected, but it's still a title in the series.

To be honest I think you are in a very small group here, most people (and I would include myself) find Pcars 3 to be the most pad friendly title in the series to date.
Yeah, I know, not for me.

I know but it's hard to tell how it is if nobody bought PC3. If you compare highly assisted controls with unassisted, it's not fair. You can compare PC3 with GTS, Forza, etc. From all games only PC3 has broken movement. Otherwise it's comparable and probably not bad. But every sim lover should play with as low as possible assists on a pad. PC3 is assisted like no sim should be. Problem one is broken movement and problem two is lack of options.

Second, I'm not a big fan of SMS approach to game development. PC1 and PC2 have some very annoying problems, like console optimization and unplayable gamepad experience. Not a fan of Ian Bell. I imagine he is responsible for some of the worst decision-making during development. But I could be wrong.

What sold me on this game is that the game director for this title was Paul Rustchynsky - the man behind my all-time favourite games like Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB. I trust his work. Also, someone said that the game will be more like NFS Shift which I loved.

Haha, 100%. If I'm not mistaken they hire a person responsible for the driveclub controls to fix the gamepad issue that was dragging since PC1. And he did a fantastic job!
OK, you don't like two among the best racing games. But you like average simcade racer with content from PC2. It looks like SMS knew how to create great games. Not anymore.

Ah, he's the culprit! OK, makes sense, hey destroyed this game :D And OK, you like Motorstorm and Driveclub. I don't. Makes sense.

What issues? If you can't use gamepad, it's not game issue. Controls are broken but not more than Shift series. And it was popular one so I am not saying broken controls means less fans.

No problem here, I can understand different taste but this thread is sometimes more of a fairy tale.

Last edited:
OK, you don't like two among the best racing games.
It's easier to dislike a game that had a reputation of functioning quite terribly on consoles, compared to one that just went a bit lighter in simulation. Nothing wrong with that, don't get why you're trying to be so edgy.

What issues? If you can't use gamepad, it's not game issue
Yes, it actually was.

Last edited:
Back