Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
I just played one specific event in Road C called American Dream on the Silverstone classic GP layout. The race formation starts with two columns of cars on each side, so it's 4 cars wide (!), however, once you begin to climb positions (you start 11th) the field begins to stretch and just past the first sector marker the leaders go single or double column if they are attempting to overtake each other.

kjb
Did they do anything else with this update? I ask because a couple of FR cars that have driven lately seem very tail happy under braking and under acceleration. I fix the acceleration featgering the throttle coming out of curves. Maybe it is just me. Need to try some other cars too and see if I can repeat this

I feel like the AI has been adjusted to be a little bit less aggressive somehow, if I race on street circuits I'm not battling three wide through every corner anymore, they're a bit more single file. Which personally I think is an improvement.

Is there any truth to this? That was one of my downfalls of racing in PC3. The AI going 3-4 wide around the track and the only way to pass them is to blast through them creating unnecessary contact. I'll have to fire this up again if that's the case.
What is new in Project Cars 3 1.13 Patch Notes?
Fixed game crashing issues.

Added various network connection improvements.

Added performance and stability improvements.

Gameplay adjustments added.

Other minor under the hood fixes.

Well instead of "gameplay adjustments", maybe kick out a list of some things. Look at a Reiza update changelog to get the exact opposite. They'll put a line of text in the changelog "gently gazed at the shaders and added 0.001 fresnel."
None the less good to see some additional fixes.

Is there any truth to this? That was one of my downfalls of racing in PC3. The AI going 3-4 wide around the track and the only way to pass them is to blast through them creating unnecessary contact. I'll have to fire this up again if that's the case.
I was cautious on this initially, thinking it might just be misremembering what it used to be like - but I tried a fair few circuits and yeah, if I say run wide during the race in Havana say (which used to be awful) then maybe one or two cars dive past me, rather than the entire field. They string out a bit more as the race goes on. This definitely means I’ll give it a second chance, I hated it as it was.

Man i must say i have been enjoying the day lights out of this game lately for the first timer since i bought it. :(

Already bought all the top cars that i wanted and im on level 22 and also not sure if the brake trick is known?

The brake trick you ask will if your farming for xp you can use one of the ovals set the laps to 30 and every 10 laps slow down your car to between 105 and 110 mph and your XP will jump big time this happens every time i try it at first i thought it was just a one time thing but no its not.

See here is a gif of one of the jumps

Cant make it work.

With FM still months away I have ordered this cheap to play on series X. It should arrive tomorrow. Any tips on the difficulty level I should start? I like a challenge.

Any tips on the difficulty level I should start? I like a challenge.
The slight problem with the Pcars games is that the speed and skills of the AI tend to change between cars and tracks. You can get a nice competitive race with one car but change the track and they can sometimes disappear into the distance. So it's a matter of tweaking the skill and aggression on the fly to your liking. The good thing with PC3 is that you can do that from the pre race screen, so it's just a matter of a restart.

I find that running with skill at very hard or pro and aggressiveness at very low or low seems to work the best. They can be a little to pushy otherwise. Although I have been down to medium skill to try and keep up on occasions!

I hope you enjoy the game. Most people do, much to their suprise usually. 🙂

The slight problem with the Pcars games is that the speed and skills of the AI tend to change between cars and tracks. You can get a nice competitive race with one car but change the track and they can sometimes disappear into the distance. So it's a matter of tweaking the skill and aggression on the fly to your liking. The good thing with PC3 is that you can do that from the pre race screen, so it's just a matter of a restart.

I find that running with skill at very hard or pro and aggressiveness at very low or low seems to work the best. They can be a little to pushy otherwise. Although I have been down to medium skill to try and keep up on occasions!

I hope you enjoy the game. Most people do, much to their suprise usually. 🙂
Thanks! Good to know.

Yes. I am going in open minded with little expectations. I am hoping for a surprise as well.

hey presto it's fine, a good racing game.
Yes it is, once you get the AI dialed in as a pure racing against other cars game it's great. Especially in drive anything anywhere custom race mode.

I recently went a bit mad and bought myself a Logitech G Pro and PC3 with it's Trueforce implementation really shines now. Not so much PC2 unfortunately where it feels like a overpowered G29.

I tried the game yesterday and it was a letdown. The handling was allright and something I could get used to. I liked the structure of the career as well.

But it was the performance that sucked. Somehow I got severe framedrops in both framerate as resolutionmode. Strange that my series X does not really want to run this game. Looking at the graphics the series X should not have a problem running this on on a locked 60FPS.

I don't recall any severe drops in performance in my Series X (I play in frame rate mode), however I'm aware it can vary from event to event. Having vrr enabled also helps. ¿Can you point out to a specific race where the performance issues happen?

I don't recall any severe drops in performance in my Series X (I play in frame rate mode), however I'm aware it can vary from event to event. Having vrr enabled also helps. ¿Can you point out to a specific race where the performance issues happen?
The Series X should easily brute force the game, it did for me.

It was multiplayer where I experienced the most frame drops (even on a Series X), the game would stutter pretty hard whenever somebody joined/left an active race. Not sure if that's been fixed, it's been a few years since I last drove in the game.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what races I experienced the framedrops. There were multiple. The first careerrace on Oulton park was one of them and the one that made me decide to quit playing.

I later also tried it on my 1440P monitor with VRR and I still noticed it.

I'm sorry it's not working for you. I did replicate that race in both visual modes without any major issues. I'm very aware the game is not a looker, in fact is kind of a visual downgrade from PC2, which was optimized for the top consoles at the time (Xbox One X and PS4 Pro), and that a locked frame rate were never promised. Still in the SX it has proven to be rather fluid, even with 26/32 cars (I don't see FM7 doing that!)

It also runs quite smoothly on my PS5, an improvement even over my previous PS4 Pro.

Which view were you using @Emick81? I find it's the interior view that seems to suffer the most with the poorer graphics. Switching to an exterior view often improves things. It sharpens everything up a bit.

Perhaps you are more susceptible to any droped frames and stutters, some people are. You could try reducing the number of opponents to see if that helps.

So I installed the game on the internal SSD Instead of the Seagate Expansion SSD. Somehow certain games don't really run well from the Expansion SDD here.

With the game now installed on the internal SSD it runs flawless. It is quite an enjoyable game. I like the Driveclub like careerprogression with the diverse challenges and the Stars that can be earned.

The handling on controller is certainly good enough. You can definitely feel the tires break lose when applying too much throttle.
I made it to the half of roadcars D on very hard. That Aston DB11 is fun to drive.

It never occurred to me that would be the source of your issues, since I run the game from an external 2TB hard drive as it is not (nor will ever be) optimized. Even then, it's one of the fastest loading games around. I'm happy it's finally working for you.

why everything is locked for me in this game on ps4?

I got the game today and installed that over 40gb into the console, and after doing the tutorial i only can race on shanghai in career mode, and in main menu only settings and career are unlocked.

there is that installation progress on bottom right but i have the game on disc and already everything installed!!!

can someone tell me what is happening and how can i play the game?

why everything is locked for me in this game on ps4?

I got the game today and installed that over 40gb into the console, and after doing the tutorial i only can race on shanghai in career mode, and in main menu only settings and career are unlocked.

there is that installation progress on bottom right but i have the game on disc and already everything installed!!!

can someone tell me what is happening and how can i play the game?
Did you try playing the game and doing what it's asking you to do?

Yep, i did the race, 3 stars and 1st place.
It's been a while but I remember having to progress through some sort of beginning. After the corvette c8.r race in which my wheel wasn't even mapped yet and couldn't even do it. Genius at work with that decision.
Nothing like starting a racing game with no control of your car whatsoever. lol

It's been a while but I remember having to progress through some sort of beginning. After the corvette c8.r race in which my wheel wasn't even mapped yet and couldn't even do it. Genius at work with that decision.
Nothing like starting a racing game with no control of your car whatsoever. lol
yes after the corvette race you choose your car and its looks, and then you go race in shanghai event. that's where i'm stuck.

there is installation progress thing in bottom right though, and i think that's what causes the game to be still locked.
I do not understand why it's here because i installed the game physically, not digitally. i don't know whats installing there tbh when there's already 40gb+ on the drive.

yes after the corvette race you choose your car and its looks, and then you go race in shanghai event. that's where i'm stuck.

there is installation progress thing in bottom right though, and i think that's what causes the game to be still locked.
I do not understand why it's here because i installed the game physically, not digitally. i don't know whats installing there tbh when there's already 40gb+ on the drive.
Happened to me also, I had to uninstall the game and start all over again.

What I did was install the game first (without the updates), made sure everything works and then install the updates, quite tedious and time consumming for sure !

But it was kinda funny to play the version 1.0 of the game, felt like beta testing the thing tbh

i don't know whats installing there tbh when there's already 40gb+ on the drive.
The game had a few updates during its life cycle so it'll be installing these. But importantly a number of these updates also added new tracks and cars so that's probably where the extra installation time was needed. You should have had access to everything when it was done.

That sort of defeats buying the physical disk for a quick install, but that's how it goes nowadays.

The game had a few updates during its life cycle so it'll be installing these. But importantly a number of these updates also added new tracks and cars so that's probably where the extra installation time was needed. You should have had access to everything when it was done.

That sort of defeats buying the physical disk for a quick install, but that's how it goes nowadays.
It really does defeat the purpose of the physical disk.

Back