Project CARS 3 Launches to Mixed Reviews

The game needs a nice chunky demo to let people decide for themselves. I like it, I took a risk buying it blind, I would not call it a sim but I do think it is a really fun racing game.

I agree but in that demo I would include at least one race with sim style... not only a mix of cars in a road race with all that information and sounds pumping...

The problem of theese blogs and youtubers reviews is that they have all begun with the career mode that is very arcade-like in track and car choices...(at least at the beggining)... or making "same-class" races that are a car mix error IMO... and from this comes their confusing reviews.

The "Same-class" option have to be changed in a patch... or if not, I recommend one-make races instead for a more "sim-flavour".

Last edited:
You know what's the best about all of these?

Its the fact that the main conflict is not about SMS / PCars franchise to another company like Kunos and PD / franchise like ACC and GT.

Its about SMS / PCars franchise of today to SMS / PCars franchise of the past, and that really amuses me.

You know what's the best about all of these?

Its the fact that the main conflict is not about SMS / PCars franchise to another company like Kunos and PD / franchise like ACC and GT.

Its about SMS / PCars franchise of today to SMS / PCars franchise of the past, and that really amuses me.

It happened with GTS too, many reviews and people complaining about what wasn't GTS and what should be... Finally GTS was growing in content, and for me is the best GT ever (162.000 kms of fun with it)

I know that mine is not the common oppinion about GTS, but also about PCARS2 and PCARS1 (I have it since its early access, alfa-builds) this 3rd PCARS I begin to think that it will be my favorite of the three.

Last edited:
It’s more arcade-like than I thought it would be. I can’t take it as serious as the previous games. Has anyone else noticed that the spoiler doesn’t retract up or down on the 911 Carrera S? That’s kind of a nigh deal to me among other things too. The game does look good. I like the wheel options and paint options. Still haven’t found where to buy upgrade parts yet either.

Concurrent player numbers when I checked on Steam speak for themselves
PC2 players.png
PC3 players.png

Yeah. I made the same point in the General Discussion. Their 3-year-old sequel has more current players than a game released in the last few days. Definitely wouldn't have been the case from 1-2.
Steam skews more to hardcore, we see that with the hardware usage stats for DiRT Rally 2.0 where wheel usage is much higher than on console.

@Titzon Toast I had a lot of fun with this game in my first two hour session with it and was surprised myself because I found the handling to be pretty darn authentic having used three different cars with three different feels

I think you're getting the reaction only because your words were a little bit strong and even though you probably didn't intend to do it, it kind of gave the impression that you were telling other people off.

I would be interested in hearing more specific things from you as to what you like because for me, at least early on, it is the handling.

My struggle is with the hyper aggressive AI but I'm only playing on the medium level and maybe they are better on a higher level.

Yeah, they certainly were a bit strong, I was fairly inebriated to say the least when I posted that.

I was just very annoyed with a lot of the abuse that was directed at SMS over the changes they'd made, especially from folk who hadn't even played the game yet.

As far as the game goes, I love the handling, the ffb really communicates what the car is doing in the wet and dry. I'm very impressed so far.

The graphics and frame rate need some serious work though, they're far from perfect.

I was just very annoyed with a lot of the abuse that was directed at SMS over the changes they'd made, especially from folk who hadn't even played the game yet.

Sorry to go over the debate yet again, it is getting very boring, but you don't need to play the game to know the changes they've made. We know it doesn't simulate tyre wear, fuel use, qualifying, cold tyres, overheating tyres, being able to drive out of your garage and drive down the pitlane in a practice or qualifying session, pit-stops, staying out in the wet on slicks or staying out on a drying track on wets, damage, multi-class racing, single class racing (e.g. just GT3), time limited races - need I go on.

Being on a PC and STEAM, All I can say about the game so far is it works well with my Thrustmaster TMX wheel
and my Oculus Rift S so far. I knew about all the negative things about the game, and took that into account what to
expect. This game because of having VR, will spend now more time with PC3 than my older older GRID games. I will mostly
do custom events so I can do all the cars and tracks, which is what I do in other racing games.
So far have not had any problems with the game and take as an arcade older GRID type game.
I either run game in 4k video mode or in VR.

Hopefully the Devs will read some of the constructive comments here and refine the game better, but we shall see if they do, or will they say here is the game and go on to something new. Time shall tell.

I am not that fussy with racing games, but if you are a definite SIM racing person and looking for that in PC3, this game is not for you - as you can read on the majority of the other comments here in the PC3 forum. Note I do have all the best SIM racing games and enjoy them also.

Last edited:
I was fairly inebriated to say the least when I posted that.

Lol. We've all been there

I love the handling, the ffb really communicates what the car is doing in the wet and dry. I'm very impressed so far.

Yes, handling is better than I expected but still not so unrealistic that you can get away with pushing too hard.

The graphics and frame rate need some serious work though, they're far from perfect.

This one puzzles me because I've heard many people agree with you but I don't find the graphics to be that bad. It might be because I've never really cared too much for graphics. I might be the only person who's not put off by them

I do have all the best SIM racing games and enjoy them also.

This, exactly! We have so many racing games we can pick from. I don't have any PC games but I have Project Cars 2 and I have ACC for my PS4. over the past few days I've actually switched to playing both of them and within about 15 or 20 minutes I found myself wanting to go back to PC3. Most likely, because that's the newest game. Either way, there are things about it I don't like but I can find those things in other games and enjoy this one for what it is.

I don't think too many people could play it and not feel like it was a lot of fun.

This one puzzles me because I've heard many people agree with you but I don't find the graphics to be that bad. It might be because I've never really cared too much for graphics. I might be the only person who's not put off by them.

I am so focused on the race; I’ve yet to notice the disturbing mobile/PS1/PS2 level graphics people have been writing about. On a positive not this game can really elevate itself with a thoughtful optimization patch.

I am so focused on the race; I’ve yet to notice the disturbing mobile/PS1/PS2 level graphics people have been writing about. On a positive not this game can really elevate itself with a thoughtful optimization patch.

What is so disappointing is when I view a couple of my saved replays in PC3 with VR I did and one view is like looking from high in the stands and below I see the beautiful view of the pit area of the Dubai track, But we cant use it. LOL

Oh well. take care,
Dave

Being on a PC and STEAM, All I can say about the game so far is it works well with my Thrustmaster TMX wheel and my Oculus Rift S so far. ... ...
This game because of having VR, will spend now more time with PC3 than my older older GRID games. I will mostly
do custom events so I can do all the cars and tracks, which is what I do in other racing games.
For VR and custom events you could try PC2 as the graphics, performance and FFB in PC2 is really a lot better.

After doing in VR a 2 lap career race in rain with the Lancer and thinking about this nonsense to go from last to first in 2 laps while rammed from the AI (difficulty on legendary) I tried a 6 lap race in PC2. Performance in PC3 is so bad 45 fps reprojection with some 75 fps after all AI was overtaken and out of sight.

So I did a 6 lap race in PC2 to do a 1:1 comparison. I used also the Lancer and weather progression from rain to cloudy. PC2 looks way better, the car feels way better even the AI is better. Performance is way better 90 fps with some dips down to 80 fps.

PC3 looks awful with this white lines around the cars, the constant ramming by AI and the blurry picture sum it up. I really hope SMS will not abandon this game and work on it like the Driveclub crew.

Last edited:
Seeing how Codemasters has managed their preview of DIRT 5 and how the game looks fine, pumped and ready to go in about a fortnight or so, I can't help thinking about the scene in "Days of Thunder" where Robert Duvall tells the team's owner: His way (Cole Trickle's shredded tyres) My way (tyres all smooth, 6 seconds faster, don't restart the tyre/pit discussion, please.) I think moving forward its going to be Codemasters way.

Last edited:
For VR and custom events you could try PC2 as the graphics, performance and FFB in PC2 is really a lot better.

After doing in VR a 2 lap career race in rain with the Lancer and thinking about this nonsense to go from last to first in 2 laps while rammed from the AI (difficulty on legendary) I tried a 6 lap race in PC2. Performance in PC3 is so bad 45 fps reprojection with some 75 fps after all AI was overtaken and out of sight.

So I did a 6 lap race in PC2 to do a 1:1 comparison. I used also the Lancer and weather progression from rain to cloudy. PC2 looks way better, the car feels way better even the AI is better. Performance is way better 90 fps with some dips down to 80 fps.

PC3 looks awful with this white lines around the cars, the constant ramming by AI and the blurry picture sum it up. I really hope SMS will not abandon this game and work on it like the Driveclub crew.

Yeah I know what you are saying. This will be my last comment about PC3 and get back to Assetto Corsa. I have PC2 and it is an awesome game compared to PC3 because of the features alone. I bought PC3 to replace my older GRID games and only because of the VR, When you bring in PC2 comparisons, I know you are comparing Watermelons to Raspberries.

I wonder what the Developers are thinking now with the comments over on Race Dept about the release of the game. I didnt see one good comment and allot of refunds. I will see what the developers say on STEAM discussions over the next months if any improvements of the game
Makes me wonder if they ever had a beta team test this game and give any feedback. I guess the public buyers are the beta team.

Back to Assetto Corsa stuff.

Last edited:
What is so disappointing is when I view a couple of my saved replays in PC3 with VR I did and one view is like looking from high in the stands and below I see the beautiful view of the pit area of the Dubai track, But we cant use it

Just reading this almost broke my heart because I understand. In fact, I currently switched over to PC2 so I could do a short endurance race at Daytona with a mandatory pit stop:)

the constant ramming by AI
The constant bullying by the AI is the one thing that frustrates me. I thought it might be related to the level Im playing on because I'm not playing on a high level. I'm only playing on the medium level.

I haven't heard if changing the settings would make the AI less "bastard-ish". Yes, I made that word up but I think they deserve it:banghead:

I haven't heard if changing the settings would make the AI less "bastard-ish". Yes, I made that word up but I think they deserve it:banghead:

There's a setting for this called 'Aggression'. The default is pretty docile though, haven't had AI target me unless I really rammed them off a couple of times.

Most of us in here wanted a sim and that’s what we expected. I’m curious how the teenage boys feel about this game, because I think this is geared perfectly towards them.

This is a FAIR review.

Quite faire but not in depth enough about physics in my opinion.

Most of us in here wanted a sim and that’s what we expected. I’m curious how the teenage boys feel about this game, because I think this is geared perfectly towards them.

It can feel like a sim if you do one-make races. The best problem in "same-class" is the mix of cars and performances that turns PCARS3 into a more arcade flavour.

Wheel, all aids off, abs off, FFB to the max (except tune in 50%) and you get very close to ACC riding at Montmeló in GT3's. Same references, same handling, same driving skills needed while braking, turning and accelerating and same reactions when you are not gentle with the throttle pussing or over the kurbs, exactly the same as in ACC. My time in ACC in barcelone with an audi R8 GT3 is 1'45.6, in GTS 1'45.6 and in Pcars3 1'46.1 after 11 laps only.

This pace is good to see how similar ACC and PCARS3 are as sims (with the limitations of pit stops, tyre wear, car settings, etc).

Last edited:
haven't had AI target me unless I really rammed them off a couple of times.

it's interesting you mention this because I have not seen it anywhere else, unless somebody has mentioned it before.I have been getting the impression that the AI targets me if I have cut them or hit them or bumped them a few times.

I didn't dare say anything publicly because I don't want people to think my mind was playing tricks on me.

This is a FAIR review.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty well done myself. I thought it was fair and balanced and accurate.

Most of us in here wanted a sim and that’s what we expected.

Agree and disagree:

Like many, I was hoping beyond hope this would be a full Sim game, even more Sim than PC2. In fact, I was hoping they would overhaul and enhance the pit stop and the custom setup to include giving us the power to decide how many pit stops there would be in a race.

But, I disagree on that second point because it didn't take long before we did realize it was not going to be Sim:censored:

Playing the victim role mightn't be a good idea after the stealthy, confusing, and often dismissive tone of some towards many who weren't those precisely what the video is about. You know you cannot make a video about those very few mother****ing ones issuing death threats on to devs because most of us are not like that.

This is ******** basically, and pardon the rudeness.

Back