Project Cars 3 Sales [Discussion]

You wanna know what is more surprising? A game called Fast and Furious Crossroads has more players than Project CARS3 :D

Every time i try to play online on pc3 there is little to no one. Maybe 1 or 2 custom lobbies. Its just dead.
PC2 there is always like 10 plus lobbies going with a dedicated fan base.
Its a sad affair.

Every time i try to play online on pc3 there is little to no one. Maybe 1 or 2 custom lobbies. Its just dead.
PC2 there is always like 10 plus lobbies going with a dedicated fan base.
Its a sad affair.
It’s fairly quiet on Xbox, save for a few nights.

I tend to host the most popular room on Mondays, and a German group tends to have decent attendance on Tuesdays.

It’s slim pickings other than that. Lobbies aren’t always stable (netcode is a bit iffy at times) but the racing is excellent and the reason we keep playing.

Last edited:
The racing has been excellent but space for me. The vast majority of the races i've had have been side to side lap after lap. We definitely need some sort of qualifying to allow people to practice together.

You wanna know what is more surprising? A game called Fast and Furious Crossroads has more players than Project CARS3 :D
I mean with Crossroads you knew what you were getting: A terrible ps2 era movie tie in without a movie.

PC3 on the other hand was just a pack of lies and deception.

I race a lot online in a couple of leagues and also public lobbies in PC2 and I can't recall anyone saying they were going to buy PC3.

Last edited:
PC3 on the other hand was just a pack of lies and deception.

Unless they had no access to the net, can't see how anyone could of bought PC3 without realizing it wasn't gonna be the same as PC2 though.
It was even being labeled a ‘Spiritual Successor to Shift’ a whole two years before it's release. If they managed to communicate this to me as a 'casual gamer' pad user, not sure how rabid PC fans were somehow deceived, at least to where they fooled into buying the game?

Unless they had no access to the net, can't see how anyone could of bought PC3 without realizing it wasn't gonna be the same as PC2 though.
It was even being labeled a ‘Spiritual Successor to Shift’ a whole two years before it's release. If they managed to communicate this to me as a 'casual gamer' pad user, not sure how rabid PC fans were somehow deceived, at least to where they fooled into buying the game?
Did you miss the repeated claims that it was going to be 'all the sim you could want'?

Or that when the concerns around it looking like an arcade title were pointed out, they doubled down on those very claims?

Its also not that people were filled into buying it on PC (the Steam player counts confirms that quite clearly), it's the outright ******** that came out of SMS in the lead up to the release. Not to mention the poorly optimised mess that was the actual release.

Last edited:
Did you miss the repeated claims that it was going to be 'all the sim you could want'?

Or that when the concerns around it looking like an arcade title were pointed out, they doubled down on those very claims?

Its also not that people were filled into buying it on PC (the Steam player counts confirms that quite clearly), it's the outright ******** that came out of SMS in the lead up to the release. Not to mention the poorly optimised mess that was the actual release.

I believe that 'all the sim you want' comment was made at the same time they declared it would more of a 'Spiritual Successor to Shift’. (2 years ago.)
But it was made clear, at least 2 months before it's release there wasn't gonna be any pit stops or simulated tyre and fuel usage.

But it will be interesting to see, if there is a next game, which direction they take.

As a GT / Forza fan I enjoy it for the custom races, as it offers some things they don't.
But the career was disappointing to me, I would of much preferred a PC2 approach.
I would buy another PC game either way, if the improved controls on a pad were somehow carried over.

Last edited:
I believe that 'all the sim you want' comment was made at the same time they declared it would more of a 'Spiritual Successor to Shift’. (2 years ago.)
Nope, it was made in June/July of this year.

https://wccftech.com/bell-project-cars-3-game-changer/
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...tops-are-history.394666/page-19#post-13155333

I would link the exact tweet in question, but SMS deleted it, shame the internet remembers.

But it was made clear, at least 2 months before it's release there wasn't gonna be any pit stops or simulated tyre and fuel usage.
While they were still claiming that it would also be all the sim you could want and had the best tyre model they had ever made.

But it will be interesting to see, if there is a next game, which direction they take.
If indeed.

As a GT / Forza fan I enjoy it for the custom races, as it offers some things they don't.
But the career was disappointing to me, I would of much preferred a PC2 approach.
I would buy another PC game either way, if the improved controls on a pad were somehow carried over.
Don't get me wrong, its fine as an arcade bias racing title, but it's not what they sold it as.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, its fine as an arcade bias racing title, but it's not what they sold it as.

While I'm personally happy with it for reasons I already mentioned. Being objective, I don't think it was entirely successful at being a real alternative to GT or Forza, so I gave it 3* on xbox.

Last edited:
While they were still claiming that it would also be all the sim you could want and had the best tyre model they had ever made.
And not responding to many questions regarding why the pitlane was closed in the first footage we saw of the game until the Dev Blog.

I don't understand how they came to the decision of making an arcade/simcade/whatever game as a sequel to PCARS2. With the PCARS brand, you're allowing the community to shape a simulator that develops on the former.

Surely, somebody at the marketing department for SMS, at the very least, would have said something along the lines of "Yes. People like us for our PCARS games but this isn't a PCARS game. You're going to annoy a lot of people and that might kill us in terms of sales."

Butchering the IndyCar series was something that annoyed me when I first saw that in the release day videos. IndyCar in PCARS2 is the best Open Wheel racing experience I've ever had. The cars are fun to drive and it feels like an IndyCar should. The series felt real because you had the liveries and you had a completely different approach to the car with each oval and the oval car itself. I've done Indy 500s and Indy 250s with a manual SC and the number of races that come down to who pitted at the right time for fuel is a common story as well as fuel saving.

However, the positive for SMS is that there is potential because a lot of people clearly care about the series including people like myself if they decide to head back down the simulation path for PCARS4. Though if Fernando keeps annoying them with sarky replies on Twitter and borderline harassment to take down comments when people do criticise, that's going to go as well.

Sarky comments on social media only work when you make a good product and you've built that as part of your brand. PCARS hasn't done that. Even if they did, Fernando isn't good at it.

Last edited:
And not responding to many questions regarding why the pitlane was closed in the first footage we saw of the game until the Dev Blog.

I don't understand how they came to the decision of making an arcade/simcade/whatever game as a sequel to PCARS2. With the PCARS brand, you're allowing the community to shape a simulator that develops on the former.

Surely, somebody at the marketing department for SMS, at the very least, would have said something along the lines of "Yes. People like us for our PCARS games but this isn't a PCARS game. You're going to annoy a lot of people and that might kill us in terms of sales."

Butchering the IndyCar series was something that annoyed me when I first saw that in the release day videos. IndyCar in PCARS2 is the best Open Wheel racing experience I've ever had. The cars are fun to drive and it feels like an IndyCar should. The series felt real because you had the liveries and you had a completely different approach to the car with each oval and the oval car itself. I've done Indy 500s and Indy 250s with a manual SC and the number of races that come down to who pitted at the right time for fuel is a common story as well as fuel saving.

However, the positive for SMS is that there is potential because a lot of people clearly care about the series including people like myself if they decide to head back down the simulation path for PCARS4. Though if Fernando keeps annoying them with sarky replies on Twitter and borderline harassment to take down comments when people do criticise, that's going to go as well.

Sarky comments on social media only work when you make a good product and you've built that as part of your brand. PCARS hasn't done that. Even if they did, Fernando isn't good at it.
I'll never buy a game from them again. Done with the crap they delivered.

I'll never buy a game from them again. Done with the crap they delivered.
That's completely fair. On a PCARS4, I'm going to be cautious as well but if it's viewed as a return to the actual PCARS series by actual people who aren't Nathan/Ian Bell, I'd definitely buy it.

Screenshot (4).png

And there's nothing left to say.

That's completely fair. On a PCARS4, I'm going to be cautious as well but if it's viewed as a return to the actual PCARS series by actual people who aren't Nathan/Ian Bell, I'd definitely buy it.

I'm curious will Take Two even allow a pCARS 4 to exist, sim racing is a fairly niche genre as a whole.

And over on the official forum, the usual suspects are still prattling on about how it was never advertised as a sim, which, as Scaff has noted multiple times, it clearly was, while still somehow arguing that the gameplay and physics are a sim but not a sim somehow, I can't quite wrap my head around their line of thinking. I'm done arguing with them, I'm just not buying it. Ever.

I'm curious will Take Two even allow a pCARS 4 to exist, sim racing is a fairly niche genre as a whole.

Take Two knows how to make money. They will probably also know a loser when they see one. Games sitting at 1468 on the Steam charts and I would have to think around the same on the other two platforms while getting beaten out by Bus Simulator, Euro Truck's DEMO and Pro Cycling Manager 2017, 2018, and 2019 are losers. So, yes, think we've likely seen the end of PCars and SMS.

Edit: Just want to be clear, I did enjoy PC1 (even though my PC at the time couldn't run it very well), 2 was brilliant if a bit rough around the edges (once I had my X1X), and I thoroughly enjoyed the Shift games for what they were at the time. I am not cheering for their failure.

Last edited:
And over on the official forum, the usual suspects are still prattling on about how it was never advertised as a sim, which, as Scaff has noted multiple times, it clearly was, while still somehow arguing that the gameplay and physics are a sim but not a sim somehow, I can't quite wrap my head around their line of thinking. I'm done arguing with them, I'm just not buying it. Ever.
I maintain that "sim" is a physics thing. "Motorsports sim" is more of a gameplay thing, with "motorsports sim" being the implied definition of "sim" to a considerable number of sim racers. I get that, though I will always disagree with that being the universal meaning of "sim".

I also still say PCARS3's physics make it a (driving) sim by design, in spite of its deliberate concessions in comparison to PCARS2. It still simulates more details than the sims I grew up with, and still simulates handling more accurately than a majority of the entire crop of PC & console sims (from the 1980s to now).

That's my $0.02 on it being "a sim but not a sim somehow", anyway. It's worth adding that I haven't even particularly enjoyed PCARS3 so far -- I haven't come back to it in weeks. A sim is a sim, whether I'm happy with it or not.

I’m still enjoying the game, even more so now on PS5, but it’s clear they messed up in their marketing. I don’t know exactly what they should have done, but maybe market it more towards GT/Forza crowd and less focus on the sim aspect, although to me the game is still more sim than both of the big name competitors. I love the pad handling. Makes putting in laps in rivals an absolute joy, and online was good as well, when there were more people playing. To me, the game has enough content and variety in handling that I’m not even sure if I’ll get ACC now even though it’s on a 50% sale although I’ll probably do eventually. Anyway, I know most GTP pCARS folks were wanting the series to go in a different direction, I think the game as it is still could have a following with different marketing strategy.

You make one slightly negative comment about anything relating to sms over on their forums and you get lampooned. Strange how the mods are asked to defend every single shot taken at them with such aggression. But yeah, there were comments made that made is seem like it was indeed all the sim you could want. But then the videos started coming out and there was no defense other than to double down. I can't find anybody online, yet i can play all day on pc2 with people across the world. Its a real let down since the replay value is shot with no qualifying or practice. Tyre wear and fuel is not that big of a deal but still feels left out.

It been on sale a few times. I would add to your wishlist so the next time it does go on sale you will be alerted

kjb
It been on sale a few times. I would add to your wishlist so the next time it does go on sale you will be alerted
On PS4 not since April 28, 2022. So more than a year ago. I suspect EA has something to do with it. To not let PC3 compete with other EA products proper.

Latest Posts

Back