Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
Hi everyone,just have a few questions:
Will this game have a realistic damage model?
Is it free to register to the WMD forums?
Will it feature a high level of customization on all cars including Formula cars and race cars?
Some great videos Adrian,keep up the good work.:)

stiggygonzalez
Hi everyone,just have a few questions:
Will this game have a realistic damage model?
Is it free to register to the WMD forums?
Will it feature a high level of customization on all cars including Formula cars and race cars?
Some great videos Adrian,keep up the good work.:)

Hi :)

1. What is a realistic damage model for you? It will be far better than the GT one. It is still WIP.
3. What is high level of customization? Do you mean tuning? visual tuning? livery editor? liveries?

Last edited:
Hi :)

1. What is a realistic damage model for you? It will be far better than the GT one. It is still WIP.
2. No it isn't
3. What is high level of customization? Do you mean tuning? visual tuning? livery editor? liveries?

Damage that's better than shift 2.
Yes tuning,livery editor and body work,bumpers,side skirts,spoilers and interior customization too.
I'd like it to be like GT5 but more of everything.

That will be pCARS2. SMS have no intention of releasing the first iteration on the next gen consoles.

We actually don't know that yet. Speculation on which consoles pCARS is going to be on, is a waste of time right now. There's been no official announcement of console releases, just what SMS thinks they will have this game on.

We actually don't know that yet. Speculation on which consoles pCARS is going to be on, is a waste of time right now. There's been no official announcement of console releases, just what SMS thinks they will have this game on.

Uh, no, they officially announced it for PS3, 360 and WiiU, even their official banner on the WMD website shows this:
cars_banner.png

...Will this game have a realistic damage model?... Will it feature a high level of customization on all cars including Formula cars and race cars?

...What is a realistic damage model for you? It will be far better than the GT one. It is still WIP....3. What is high level of customization? Do you mean tuning? visual tuning? livery editor? liveries?

Damage that's better than shift 2.
Yes tuning,livery editor and body work,bumpers,side skirts,spoilers and interior customization too.
I'd like it to be like GT5 but more of everything.

Regarding damage, even at this early stage, it is superior to S2U; parts come off cars, panels get dented as you would expect them to. The cars are being modelled underneath the bodywork panels, so that if they come off, the cars are still whole and appear as they should.

You will have the ability to tune the settings of the cars, and there will be a livery editor, but there will not be an option to add extra parts, whether aerodynamically, cosmetically or performance increasing. If you wish to make your car go faster, choose a faster car. SMS have deliberatly moved themselves away from being a driving game and towards a racing sim. If you're looking for another GT5, you're looking in the wrong place. Think more of a proper PC simulation that's also availale for the consoles.

Indeed, pCARS is a racing game with racing cars ready to race. Yes there will be road cars and a livery editor but it's not going to be about building up road cars into racers or a lot of the extra stuff GT and Forza do with driving, it's about getting in race cars and going out into a realistic racing world. Think the old ToCA games but better, much better.

Uh, no, they officially announced it for PS3, 360 and WiiU, even their official banner on the WMD website shows this:
cars_banner.png

Not really that official when they don't even have a publisher, which is a requirement to get this game onto consoles. They can't even find one, and they don't have the money to do it themselves. That's more like their goal. Have you never heard of games changing direction during development, or idea's being cut?

I wouldn't read to much into it at this point. There's a lot of talk here about console versions, and either way you cut it, all of it is totally pointless because there aren't even any screenshots to look at of these versions, and zero work has begun on them.

Hmm.... Hang on a mo... Let me just go get it....

Build 276 9/8/12:
Session 360 work , moving from Sabre into OneSock. Still very WIP but got basic SessionCreation,Searching and Joining working via Debug functions and can now build from that

Build 273 6/8/12:
Fixed Xbox compile error from CL 235108.
Temporarily disabled locking checks on PS3
Fixed PS3 compile errors
Tested and fixed direct p2p sending, receiving and handling of Standard messages
Fixed unreferenced variable error in Final builds
Updated empty PS3 implementation of GameManager

Build 265 26/7/12:
Made Xbox 360 renderer use threadsafe global textures in same way as DX11 - this fixes the assert in non-gold builds

Build 252 11/7/12:
Fix for ps3 compile and pod errors
Added Xbox 360 and PS3 rich presence tech

Build 241 26/6/12:
PS3 SaveGame: Trophy unlocking is no longer disabled when loading save data that is not owner sensitive
PS3 Save Game Manager: Insufficient space error handling changes to prevent soft locks in critically low HDD space conditions
PS3 Input: Fixed Thrustmaster wheel disconnection/reconnection issues

Build 240 25/6/12:
SaveGame: Xbox 360 Media
Input: PS3 device connection blips
SaveGame: PS3 save size calculation
Input: Xbox 360 wheel sensitivity.

Would you like me to continue? I've got a whole list of them right back to the first build. Also bear in mind that all of the builds that are released, are also compiled into Xbox360 and PS3 builds to make sure they work on those systems at the same time. To say that zero work has been done only goes to show how much you don't read. The reason why they have held back on showing console shots is because they are waiting to be able to optimise the game before saying 'This is how the game is going to look'.

Still missing my point by a lot. But I guess getting overly excited based on very little information is what a lot of you are good at, so carry on! Tired of trying to explain the obvious, so whatever.

Only 2.8 million dollars, and no publisher makes this impossible to show up on consoles, whether any work on it has begun or not.

Last edited:
Not sure what your point is? They clearly have devkits for the 360 and PS3 and are working on versions of the game for those consoles. Yes they could get canned but so can any game, publisher or not.

Also the whole point of this project is no publisher pressure so they aren't going to be looking for one yet.

Also the whole point of this project is no publisher pressure so they aren't going to be looking for one yet.

They've already tried looking for one actually. They talked with a few of their most promising publishers, and no deal was able to be reached.

Member funding was suppose to have been cut off months ago because they would already have all of the money they needed to finish the game through a publisher.

OK,thanks for the info everyone.
I'm happy that it will be a proper sim.
Just one more question.
Will the PS3 version have similar or superior graphics compared to GT5.

My understanding is that they are trying to publish the game themselves. All they really need is access to a stamping factory and a printing factory. The cases can be bought by the thousands for pennies a time, and a decent logistics company will ship copies around the world.

Edit: Stiggy, that's a difficult question to answer, because how do you define 'superior' when it comes to graphics? Frame rate is going to be 30FPS locked, with realistic looking graphics, decent textures, and a touch of anti-aliasing. This is a rough approximation of what the game is expected to look like, by altering a PC's graphical settings to match. These shots are not from SMS, merely my interpretation of what it should look like. (Build 255, I think).

pcars%2520fr%2520hoc%25202.png

pcars%2520fr%2520spa2.png

They've already tried looking for one actually. They talked with a few of their most promising publishers, and no deal was able to be reached.

Member funding was suppose to have been cut off months ago because they would already have all of the money they needed to finish the game through a publisher.

Was it ever said that potential large investor mentioned on the forum was a publisher? I saw plenty of speculation who it was but since it didn't happen I don't think they said who it was.

Also you say they only have < 3 million euros but that is also not that far off their target amount and they must have known how much they would need. If they were only at 25% of their target I might be worried.

If you look at the image below, it shows the intended cars they want in the game, with ticks next to the cars they already have licensed/built. If you notice, there are still 8 categories they haven't touched yet, and 17 cars within the categories that have representations still missing. That comes to a total of at least 25 cars to be announced.

Wheres this pic on WMD?

Hopefully they get the production cars they had in shift 2 soon with their licenses(excluding Porsche thanks to EA). Shift 2 had balanced car list and great track list but felt terrible to play.

How do you guys feel about the BAC Mono & the Atom? Those two cars i still have zero fun every time I try to drive them :(

G.T.Ace

It can still happen to be released on Next gen console. It is unrealistic in my opinion, but maybe they didn't announced it for PS4 and the new Xbox because those two aren't announced yet.

DG_Silva
My understanding is that they are trying to publish the game themselves. All they really need is access to a stamping factory and a printing factory. The cases can be bought by the thousands for pennies a time, and a decent logistics company will ship copies around the world.

Yes.

In my personal opinion (so please dont shoot), I would have wished they d have focused more on filling the career mode series with the most cars possible and kept the special/historic cars out of the main game. I dont see the sense in the 1940 BMW 328 for the main game, for example, they could have made stuff like that, the historic F1s or 1980 touring cars dedicated DLC instead.

Imagine: A historic F1 DC with the cars and tracks of the 1967, 1978 and 1986 season and a dedicated career mode branch. Or a 1980s DTM/BTCC DLC with the M3, Sierra Cosworth, Audi V8, Merc 190E. How awesome would that be and who in their right mind wouldnt buy that in a heartbeat?!

I agree with this. At the same time, SMS would probably get names thrown at them for doing a "Legends DLC" all over again. It would make people think that the game is like Shift 2 in a weird way.

Meh the more the game comes with I'll be happy. Its got Ginettas and BTCC's so I am well more than happy.

How do you guys feel about the BAC Mono & the Atom? Those two cars i still have zero fun every time I try to drive them :(

I used to be very critical of the Mono but it has taken a huge step forward in the last weeks imho.

The Mugen Atom is currently broken on DFGT imho (or on my machine?), didnt try the others.

I have a Intel Core2Duo E7400 with 2.8 GHz, 3.5 GB RAM (32 bit Windows XP) and a ATi 4830 HD card with 512Mb. It doesn't run playable in 640x480 with everything set to low or off. So... take these as the absolute minimum.

Crapola. I can't run it then. I have integrated graphics, 2.4 GHz processor, and 4gb of RAM but that 4gb has to cover graphics, processing, and running windows 7 64bit which eats up about 1.3gb. It struggles run iracing in 40 FPS at absolute minimum settings in 1080p

TomBrady
Crapola. I can't run it then. I have integrated graphics, 2.4 GHz processor, and 4gb of RAM but that 4gb has to cover graphics, processing, and running windows 7 64bit which eats up about 1.3gb. It struggles run iracing in 40 FPS at absolute minimum settings in 1080p

If you want to run it on PC just buy a graphics card.

If you want to run it on PC just buy a graphics card.

I'm not entirely sure if one can be installed in my computer. The info I can find on line on it is kind of vague. It says it has PCI-e slots but I don't know. Plus, they create a lot of heat, don't they normally need to be in desktops unless made specifically with the laptop in mind?

Was thinking about getting an external graphics card but that's another thing where the info I've found is vague.

TomBrady
I'm not entirely sure if one can be installed in my computer. The info I can find on line on it is kind of vague. It says it has PCI-e slots but I don't know. Plus, they create a lot of heat, don't they normally need to be in desktops unless made specifically with the laptop in mind?

Was thinking about getting an external graphics card but that's another thing where the info I've found is vague.

If you're on a laptop then forget about it.

G.T.Ace
And a quad core from what I read. The game needs tons of power, especially since it isn't optimized yet.

Is pCARS even coded to utilize four cores? Honestly I don't know as I have never checked.

Back