Project CARS - Logitech Wheels NOT Supported on PS4

• Thread starter biffdiver
  • 2,132 comments
If you are looking to get a premade computer, don't look for ones that have the GPU or ram you want. Look at ones that have the motherboard and CPU you want and that is upgradeable. By adding your own GPU and ram you will save a lot when purchasing. Can also be upgraded in stages that way. Get a GPU now add more ram at a later date.

Maybe a 'Optimized PC for PCars' thread needs to be made, as this topic is getting more and more off topic!

Everyone's complaining here and on SMS forums. Instead, the community as a whole needs to focus their rage at SONY / FANATEC / LOGITECH!
This thing need to be placed in OP, the community needs to realize who is guily and who is not, before starting flames.
Is there a technical or legal reason SMS can't code their own support within the PS4 version of PCARS without a specific driver for the PS4 (especially if Logitech are no longer interested)? Isn't that what Sony have said is up to the developers? I hope SMS are somehow able to get this sorted.
I doesn't work like that.
If a SMS custom driver broke your "300 euro 1 year and a half old Logitech G27 (still in warranty)" who will you ask your money back or a G27 replacement ? SMS? They'll tell you no because they are not Logitech. Logitech? They'll tell you no because they didn't developed the driver.

It's really a matter of Sony/Logitech/Fanatech finding an agreement. If they don't care our wheels will not work on PS4 period.

This is what you can do:
1-buy new wheel for PS4 / Xbone
2-screw consoles, keep your wheel buy new pc
3-rage quit videogames.

/End of thread.

Last edited:
If this is true it's pretty poor. I'd guess the majority of PS3 owners have logitech wheels. If my G27 doesn't work I'm not going to shell out another chuck of cash for a compatible wheel. Guess I just wont buy pCARS... 👎

If this is true it's pretty poor. I'd guess the majority of PS3 owners have logitech wheels. If my G27 doesn't work I'm not going to shell out another chuck of cash for a compatible wheel. Guess I just wont buy pCARS... 👎
If you are coerent you will not buy Drive Club nor the PS4 version of Gran Turismo when it will come out. By this logic you won't buy a PS4 at all, which is totally accepttable.

But you can't really blame SMS for Sony/Logitech/Fanatech shortcomings. Do you think they enjoy not being able to support all these wheels? They are not stupid they know it means less money for them.

But they are not in the position to diktate what other companies have to do. Unfortunately there's not a law which requires Sony/Logitech/Fanatech to find a deal.

If you are coerent you will not buy Drive Club nor the PS4 version of Gran Turismo when it will come out. By this logic you won't buy a PS4 at all, which is totally accepttable.

But you can't really blame SMS for Sony/Logitech/Fanatech shortcomings. Do you think they enjoy not being able to support all these wheels? They are not stupid they know it means less money for them.

But they are not in the position to diktate what other companies have to do. Unfortunately there's not a law which requires Sony/Logitech/Fanatech to find a deal.
you assume that Polyphony won't allow people to use logitech wheels. they already have "drivers" for them and i'm pretty sure you'll be able to use them.

Thay already know how they work, no need to have a sticker on it, just let the "unoficially" work. and yes if gt7 doesn't support my wheel i may kiss it goodbye too.

no clue about your country but here changing a perfectly working wheel is an issue that would add to ps4 costs and game cost too; and we all well know how brave they are to ask 70 EUROS for them...

I sold G27 for $200 and I will buy T300 RS as I don't need clutch, but if same situation happens with next Playstation I will stop with racing games on the consoles or maybe move to PC altogether.

I wish I could keep using my old DFGT, get a ps4 and play Pcars, but when considering other options I am going for a new wheel and ps4. If you care here is how I figured it. (PS4 is already ordered wheel is not because there still is a chance I can use DFGT, and likely getting the TM T300 not out yet)

Build PC and keep using DFGT:
Pros - able to play other racing games (iracing, AC, rfactor, etc) better graphics on most games, Steam, upgradable
Cons - Cost $800+ to build the PC I would want, monthly fee for Iracing, would have to build it and maintain it, it would likely make more noise than a console and be larger (not always but if you go cheap on cooling), no PS4 to play games I want (Infamous, GT7, etc), having to use 🤬 Windows, old DFGT wheel. Way too tempted to upgrade to a very powerful system get triple screens with full sim cockpit spending lots of money causing my wife to possibly leave me..

Buy PS4 and get new wheel:
Pros - Nice new wheel with modern FFB, PS4 games (destiny, infamous, GT7 etc), little to no maintenance, awesome never fails quiet low power MAC mini still stays at the desk, DFGT wheel for PS3 games which I can loan or sell. I was going to get a ps4 someday anyways, found Ps4 bundle deal on dell site that came with $100 gift card..
Cons - Cost $900 (estimated), not upgradable, no PC racing games (Iracing, AC, rFactor, etc)

Rage quit gaming.. or well stay on ps3:
Pros: free and save money normally spent on gaming items, discover another new hobby, can play destiny on ps3, wife is most happy with this option
Cons: No Pcars, no new graphics, less new games, no cool new system to mess with, I have spent $1k on things that don't get as much use or give as much entertainment..

Either way some big corporation is getting a chunk of my money...

Last edited:
I stopped playing race games 3 y.o. and I haven't regret it so far. I must admit that I have been looking at the benchmarks of the GTX780 and the T300RS. :D

you assume that Polyphony won't allow people to use logitech wheels. they already have "drivers" for them and i'm pretty sure you'll be able to use them.

Thay already know how they work, no need to have a sticker on it, just let the "unoficially" work. and yes if gt7 doesn't support my wheel i may kiss it goodbye too.

no clue about your country but here changing a perfectly working wheel is an issue that would add to ps4 costs and game cost too; and we all well know how brave they are to ask 70 EUROS for them...
It's not a question of PD "allowing people to use the wheels". Either the drivers exist for the PS4 or they don't. If they do, then all games are supported. If they don't, no games are supported. As of today, no games are supported. This is not an individual game issue, it's a Sony/PS4 issue. If PCars doesn't work with Logitech wheels, neither will Gran Turismo 7.

I think that start selling logitech wheels before having racing game releasedon ps4 and supported wheel lists is just stupid.

There is no hurry in changing your set-up cause there is nothing to play on ps4 now, just wait.

If logitech wheels won't work ..than if you really want to play with ps4 you'll spend a lot of money on TRS and change it again on the ps5. Moreover surely I won't buy a wheel for ps4 before having wheel support reviews on ps4.. almost every time wheels were poorly supported (codemaster and sms games on ps3 were really bad in terms of wheel settings).

At the end of the story personally i don't think i will spend 800€ just to play project cars even if it looks damn good.

Is that the reason why Logitech doesn't make a new Playstation wheel because there is no PS4 compatibility?

Personal problems with Sony perhaps?

Is that the reason why Logitech doesn't make a new Playstation wheel because there is no PS4 compatibility?

This is not an individual game issue, it's a Sony/PS4 issue. If PCars doesn't work with Logitech wheels, neither will Gran Turismo 7.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Will PS3 peripherals such as fighting sticks and steering wheels work with PS4?
Generally speaking, no. However, at launch, users will be able to use these controllers if a specific game title allows it to be used within the game. This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game.

Pretty sure PD already knows what signals to send to the USB port

Do you guys know if the game play well with a controller because if the game do not support my wheel i will wait a few week before buying a new one. So if you have play pc with a controller please tell me how this is.

Logitech announced last fall that they were out of the console hardware market due to poor profits last year. Making new drivers will cost Logitech $$ (personnel, time, testing, etc), and the few complaints about this on their forums are about drivers for existing hardware, not new sales. So from a business perspective what is there to motivate them?

I have tried to make a case on Logitech's forums about PCARS stimulating new sales (I'm one, I own DFGT and wanted G27), but the community has not rallied behind this. Most of the console community is happy to blame SMS and threaten them that No G27 = No PCARS, and not Logitech/Sony.

Console community will wonder why PCARS 2 will prob be PC only, and complain and wonder why.

I've Pre-orderd PS4 version and will likely have to get the T300RS. At least they are the only ones who seem excited to make console wheels and it will be PS3 and PC compatable. I'll hold out till late October to see how it plays out, but I've pretty much lost faith in the console community being able to organize an outcry to the proper place.

It's not a question of PD "allowing people to use the wheels". Either the drivers exist for the PS4 or they don't. If they do, then all games are supported. If they don't, no games are supported. As of today, no games are supported. This is not an individual game issue, it's a Sony/PS4 issue. If PCars doesn't work with Logitech wheels, neither will Gran Turismo 7.

I can imagine that Sony will get some drivers for gt7 because it's an important brand to them.

... but I've pretty much lost faith in the console community being able to organize an outcry to the proper place.

Petition for Sony, numerous posts on Logitech forum and now hate on SMS projectcarsgame.com/ page, what else you want.

Sure, SMS is in bad position, 3rd party developer with no relation with Sony, Logitech says that ball is on Sony's side and if Sony have deal with Thrustmaster nothing can change it. Official wheel for Gran Turismo is T500 RS for some time now (how many years?) so why is everybody so surprised.

All this uproar over a list (that is incomplete) of compatible wheels for a game that's release is almost four months away. It's really quite entertaining to read. Keep the gloom and doom and the sky is falling attitude coming guys.

All this uproar over a list (that is incomplete) of compatible wheels for a game that's release is almost four months away. It's really quite entertaining to read. Keep the gloom and doom and the sky is falling attitude coming guys.

It is all over man... :nervous:

Maybe a 'Optimized PC for PCars' thread needs to be made, as this topic is getting more and more off topic!

We made sth like this at our polish forum, lets say optimal for high settings with single FHD screen should be:

mobo: ASRock Z97 PRO4 Z97
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 600W
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
Cooler: SilentiumPC Grandis XE1236 (must have to OC CPU to ar. 4.4-4.5 GHz)
GPU: MSI GTX 770
Mem: GoodRam 8GB PC1866 DUAL 2 x 4GB CL9
Case: SilentiumPC Gladius X60
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
DVD: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE
SSD: like a gift in another Christmas ;)

Such setup should cost ar. 900€, and is highly future proof and upgrade ready.

What is missing: hdmi cable, keyboard, mouse, wifi card if needed.

^ Yes, the wheel has the firmware ready to go. The drivers is what's the issue here. The drivers has to run on the host platform (console or PC). A game can indeed speak to the wheel through the USB port, but in practice it needs a piece of driver software in between. This driver needs to be written by the wheel manufacturer for a number of practical and probably legal reasons.

I think fatkrakr summed it up pretty well: devs and gamers are screwed. I don't know if Sony are actually blaming game devs though, seeing as they (Sony) know full well where the responsibilities lie.

I just get a headache from all the political/greed shenanigans - this whole mess could be solved in a few afternoons for pocket change if the driver developers were allowed to get on with it :ill:

Edit: Yes, we're going in circles here, with a pace like hamsters on a running wheel - there's little else we can do* :P

(* except vote with our wallets... hint: price of a PS4 + a decent new wheel == price of a decent gaming PC using your old wheel, minus a night or two on the town)

Last edited:
^ Yes, the wheel has the firmware ready to go. The drivers is what's the issue here. The drivers has to run on the host platform(console or PC). A game can indeed speak to the wheel through the USB port, but in practice it needs a piece of driver software in between. This driver needs to be written by the wheel manufacturer for a number of practical and probably legal reasons.

I think fatkrakr summed it up pretty well: devs and gamers are screwed. I don't know if Sony are actually blaming game devs though, seeing as they (Sony) know full well where the responsibilities lie.

I just get a headache from all the political shenanigans - this whole mess could be solved in a few afternoons for pocket change if the driver developers were allowed to get on with it :ill:

G27 works with Ps2 and Ps3. Actually, some games on ps2, and some games on ps3. The ps2 does not have specific drivers for it. This shows that historically it has been up to the game to provide support.

What makes the ps4 any different with regards to drivers?

The issue may be license, but I doubt it is drivers.

What makes the PS4 different (and the XB even more so) is seemingly even more upfront consumer unfriendly corporate politics than before (otherwise know as "business" :)), and possibly more impatient consumers than before.

On older consoles some wheels used the protocol of other wheels, e.g. G27 and Fanatec getting a free ride from the G25 drivers. In any case drivers were needed for older consoles too... The thing with it "being up to the game" doesn't mean that drivers can be skipped, only that some games may choose to link with certain drivers - much the same situation that has been announced for PS4.

License... drivers... It's all the same really - the end result is that either we get support for wheel X or we don't. Drivers are unproblematic from a technical standpoint, but not from a licensing/business/policy standpoint.

What makes the PS4 different (and the XB even more so) is seemingly even more upfront consumer unfriendly corporate politics than before (otherwise know as "business" :)), and possibly more impatient consumers than before.

On older consoles some wheels used the protocol of other wheels, e.g. G27 and Fanatec getting a free ride from the G25 drivers. In any case drivers were needed for older consoles too... The thing with it "being up to the game" doesn't mean that drivers can be skipped, only that some games may choose to link with certain drivers - much the same situation that has been announced for PS4.

License... drivers... It's all the same really - the end result is that either we get support for wheel X or we don't. Drivers are unproblematic from a technical standpoint, but not from a licensing/business/policy standpoint.

Fair enough, explained well. So in regards to the other supported wheels, I assume the drivers are supplied by the wheel manufacturer to pCars? If so, the current issue would be a license agreement between pCars and Logitech?

The drivers would be made by Logitech, then supplied to Sony who would approve them and integrate them into the SDK. Only then would they be available for SMS (and other game studios) to use in their games. So the overarching deal would most likely have to be worked out by Sony and Logitech. I don't know if there are any license requirements further down the line, as in certain parts of the SDK requiring special licensing.

Back