Project Cars vs The World (FM5, Asetto Corsa, GRID, Rfactor 2, Raceroom)

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 117 comments

Which game suits you best?

• PCars

• Forza Motorsport 5

• Asetto Corsa

• GRID Autosport

• RFactor 2

• Raceroom

Results are only viewable after voting.

FoRiZon

(Banned)
Singapore
Singapore
Looks like you all have fun with the PCars. Now lets compare to the other sims out there. I want to hear your opinion on these games.

What do you think? Is some parts better than the other? Customization, damage model, AI, etc.

Rules are simple: no attacking, no blabbering or spamming, adhere the AUP.

If you wondered where is GT6, since such thread existed and general attitude of the members here, no talks directly about GT6 unless you want to compare those two to the others.

Project cars, because it is the most complete game. It offers great sim-physics and the racing experience as well. You know a game is really good when you are satisfied and exhausted after finishing a race on 8th position and had lots of great battles with the AI on track. The feeling that you've earned this position while you gave everything possible in that race.

I'm very happy with pCars so far even though it's more buggy than I would expect and I have yet to get the wheel physics/FFB even close to the level of realism that I have been able to achieve in AC. Hopefully that will come in time......👍

Have to go with PCars
Tried the original Grid, didn't like it didn't bother to try the next editions of it.
I like Forza don't have an XB1 so FM5 doesn't suit me at this time.
AC. Haven't tried it but from what I see I think I would like PCars better

RFactor2. Didn't grab me
Raceroom I haven't looked at.

PCars does several things very well. Needs some tweaking and some additions but I am pleased with it at this point

Haven't played rFactor or Raceroom, can't comment on those.

PCARS is the one I play; it has the best overall package for me. Physics, visuals, sounds, racing experience and so on.

As for the games I did try:
Forza and GRID aren't anywhere near PCARS in terms of simulation. Forza is simcade, GRID pure arcade as far as I am concerned. Might as well add NfS to the list :lol: Only had a short go at AC (don't actually own the game) and it seems like an equally great simulator but I prefer PCARS in terms of assets and visuals/sound.

Forza, simply because project cars and forza are the only games on that list that i play and the current state of project cars on the xbox is a joke. Full of bugs and some cars are damn near impossible to drive on the controller.

That might change when the patch is released but until then forza gets my vote by a country mile.

LOL, ambitious thread. I just had a great kart race on XB1 PCars with a feeling that I feel FM5 would find hard to beat. Then I went straight into a Focus invitational on Sonoma where the cars refused to make forty five degree bends at speed. The game seems to do everything Grid Autosport does in terms of qualifying and race rules. I don't know from the PC games in the poll.

Ask me again in six months' time when a more thoroughly patched PCars approaches the fit and finish of even a rushed launch game like FM5 on my console. It certainly has the potential to be a world beater but right now I just can't decide.

Last edited:
I liked Grid Autosport, liked the track selection and career mode, even the online portion was pretty good, but played on the PS3 and the visuals weren't the best on my big screen. Assetto Corsa has more laserscanned tracks and the best version of the Nurburgring ever made IMO, visually it's crisp and clean and the FFB and driving feel is simply superb. PCars is almost up to that level in terms of driving feel and FFB but takes the prize as a more complete game and experience with everything from career mode to TT's and competitions, multiple platform support etc. All due respect to Kunos, they are definitely in a David and Goliath situation, but there simply isn't enough revenue coming in from a pc only game to do everything they want to do with the game. The modding in AC is really nice, lots of free content of varying quality, but PCars I think takes the overall prize in terms of best overall game. If AC had access to the resources of Project Cars...it's scary what they might be able to do:scared:.

Having said that, I should add that driving in AC was a revelation. When I first started driving in that game, I did not stop smiling the entire night:D. The FFB through the wheel was simply amazing there's no other way to put it. It really hit home at that point what everyone had been talking about all these years regarding sim racing vs. console racing (that's changed with PCars now obviously). It really is a whole different exprience as many are now discovering with Project Cars. I remember my buddy @Cote Dazur coaxing me for more than a year to make the jump to Assetto Corsa and I kept looking at the car list, which is smaller than the single Nissan garage in GT6 :odd:, and thinking to myself, "What the hell, where are all the cars?":lol: 13 tracks? Is that a joke:odd:? You only need to drive one car to realize that the experience can be so amazing you could literally build an entire game around one single car and it would still be a worthwhile experience. After playing for a few days, I realized that with 40 or 50 cars, I'd never have enough time to really get to know each car. In Project Cars with nearly 70 and likely many more in the coming months, I know for sure I'll never drive or get to know all the cars in the game.

Last edited:
PCars is the pick of the list and probably the best I've ever played in a lot of ways, but I'm not sure about how it will fare in regards to long term single player replayabilty. The lack of a custom championship / result saving feature and inconsistent AI pace hurt the game in a big way IMO. But, that can all be updated with time.

PCars is the pick of the list and probably the best I've ever played in a lot of ways, but I'm not sure about how it will fare in regards to long term single player replayabilty. The lack of a custom championship / result saving feature and inconsistent AI pace hurt the game in a big way IMO. But, that can all be updated with time.
Yeah we badly need custom championships

I don't really want to vote until PCars is patched so can't see the results of the poll but I bet Project CARS is winning by a country mile.

I don't really want to vote until PCars is patched so can't see the results of the poll but I bet Project CARS is winning by a country mile.
I bet you're right:sly: Someone should try a similar poll in the GT6 Forum and see what happens:lol:

From the technical aspect, Raceroom is my favourite. The biggest problem I have with it, is total lack of players in MP. Pcars has 30 lobbies with at least 200 people online, R3E has like 15 people max and mostly on easy handling settings. I love the car and track selection they have, no BS street rice or open wheels, only true GT racing cars. Their engine sound is the best you'll find in any sim. That's a fact.

I use AC for drifting. FFB and handling is just natural and intuitive. I can never drift so nicely in Pcars. Countersteer snap in the opposite direction is almost impossible to counter or predict. MP became a bit dull after Pcars, but I still check it once in a while if there's any good racing.

Pcars needs to fix their beta problems to catch up these other sims. Especially the opponent sound is horrible compared to Raceroom and even the player sound.

And I play GSCE because of porsche cup mod and modded tracks, not found in other sims.

For me, it's impossible to pick only one.

From the games i owned on that list PCARS is the best. I even prefer the FFB and physics model above the one in AC.
AC is great too though and i love having it on the side as it has a great car list now, and that's not even counting in the endless possibilities of mods added to that equation. But like @Johnnypenso says the offline part in AC isn't that inspiring or complete as what is available in PCARS.

PCARS also has dynamic weather and time of day, which none of the other games on that list offer and that is a big plus for me, especially combined with the gorgeous graphics.

R3R comes in as a close third in the sim racing department, it also has good FFB and physics, the best engine sounds, but i find the graphics aren't as good IMO. Like AC it is nice to have it on the side too.

Grid Autosport isn't really comparable as it is a simcade racer, but a very good one at that. To me it provided the most excitement last gen with it's races as the AI is top notch and the tracks are original and atmospheric. It should have come out a bit earlier in the PS3's lifecycle to have been a success. If it would have been released instead of Grid 2 which was a flop, it might have been a huge hit, but as it only came to be at the end of the console's life cycle, people already jumped to the next gen consoles and didn't take notice of it anymore.

FM5 and RF2 i can't comment on as i haven't played them. If MS wouldn't have been totally unresponsive regarding the wheel debate, i might have picked up a Xbone as the Forza series is a great franchise in general.

I voted for FM5 simply because I like the large variety of cars, and I like messing about with upgrades and the livery editor/paint shop :cool:

The racing in pCARS is much, much better though so I'm glad I have both. I'm hoping for great things for pCARS, post patch 👍

Well I don't have Raceroom, Forza or rFactor and I am only Downloading Assetto Corsa now (Steam sale; half price).

So I can't really vote. It would, however, be nice to be able to see the results of the poll without having to vote.

My list of racing "simulators" that I have played.

1. Project CARS
2. GTR2
3. rFactor
4. Gran Turismo 6
5. Forza Motorsport 4
6. Grid AutoSport

They are the most recent of each of those respective series' that I have played.

Assetto Corsa. Every track is laser scanned and it works with my DFGT. My PC isn't very good though so I'm hoping for a PS4 version.

Project Cars runs better on my PS4 than Asseto Corsa on my PC so all that needs to be added is Logitech support. & the 24 hour layout of Nurburgring.

Well I don't have Raceroom, Forza or rFactor and I am only Downloading Assetto Corsa now (Steam sale; half price).

So I can't really vote. It would, however, be nice to be able to see the results of the poll without having to vote.

Since you were exposed to Project CARS before Assetto Corsa, which is rare, i'm very interested to hear your thoughts after you have tried out AC.

Project Cars, without a doubt. Great physics, sound, visuals and racing. With some improvements and additions it could really set a very high benchmark. Enjoyed the racing in Grid Autosport. Shame about the cockpit visuals in that game.

Well is a difficult choice, but the 'factory' configuration in AC is amazing, in my case I need to put PCARS without assists to mach the physics more equal to AC, but this is only a personal sensation, this is not something capital. I'm really happy with the physics and the career mode is pretty good in PCARS, amazing track list and very good car selection, but as ever I can't play the online mode anymore in this sims because iRacing exists and anyone of them doesn't implemented a similar system.

I can't describe it without a very large post, but i really recommend to try it with one of the promo codes for 5$ listed in iracing forum in gtplanet. Is exactly the most close real racing experience in simulators, official races every hour, sporting code, behaviour points, etc... I really hope someone copy the system and offers something similar but more cheaper before I finish the first mx5 cup and I starts to buy more content. Definetly the very best racing online experience I ever had.

My vote is for iRacing.

Latest Posts

Back